• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve Your Moves!

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
You can Duck DK's Bair if done immediately out of SH, and if he does it later in the SH you can't duck it, but you can shield and punish the landing lag.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Back Air Summary

Back air is Kirby's go-to move. It's fast, powerful, and has good priority. If you're not using this move, then you are doing something wrong.

Some quick details need to be discussed about Kirby's B-air. This move makes Kirby's entire body a hitbox, meaning if you are right on your opponent you can use this move for mediocre damage. It also has sexkick properties, meaning after the initial use the hitbox stays active for a few frames, though not as strong as the initial attack. B-air has the potential to neutralize some projectiles, such as Zelda's Din's Fire, but the risk is greater than reward and this technique is more of a novelty. Finally, the tip of Kirby's feet are the sweetspot for the move where the most knockback occurs.

Kirby's B-air can be used to create a Wall of Pain. After knocking your opponent off stage, follow up with B-air's, continually pushing them further from the stage. Even if they are able to recover, it still is a good way to rack up damage.

You can also utilize this move in your shielding game. If a character rolls behind you while you are shielding, you can jump out of your shield for a quick B-air counter. When approaching a shielding opponent, you can SH B-airs just at the edge of it's range. If they want to attack after they shield your B-air, there's a good chance you will be out of range of their attack. If you are in range, just avoid with another jump and punish with another B-air. Same can be said about a grab; avoid then punish.

Though this is easily Kirby's aerial, you cannot simply assume it will tear through your opponents aerials. Characters with fast, long-range aerials such as DDD and DK's B-airs will generally out range and out prioritize Kirby's B-air. You have to use the B-air intelligently and not just spam it for best results.

Combo's/String's Involving Back Air

F-throw > Up-Air > Up-Tilt > B-air WoP
Up-tilt > Up-tilt > B-air ( > FF'd Bair if DI'd poorly)
B-air > F-tilt/F-smash (grounded opponent)

Things to Learn with Back Air
Good spacing/Sweetspot range
Moves that beat out B-air... at least the most popular.

I know we had a short week with B-air, but I think we covered mostly everything.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Improve Your Moves!

Week #3: Forward Smash

Kirby's Forward Smash is easily one of his best KO moves. It has great range, speed, and priority; what more could you ask for?

As always, lets discuss combos, when to use, and things to look out for.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
As a kill move amazing that's all you can say. As a combo finisher though. Meh. I'll pass and use a ftilt or grab or something else. F-smash is quick but not quick enough to become a reliable combo ender to a lot of things. Like dair>ftilt is a combo but dair>f-smash can be shielded.

Also the bad part about using this move as a combo ender is if you get the weaker hit than you're screwed. Like gonzo combo>f-smash finish. If the opponent DI's away then you will hit with the weaker part of the f-smash and will conveniently pop them right up above you. From there they can do an aerial while you are in post lag.

Also obviously this move shouldn't be spammed as the post lag is pretty bad. imo it should only be used as a kill move at high %'s. At low-mid%'s there is always the risk of hitting with the latter part of the attack and being vulnerable, so I tend not to use it unless I am guaranteed the strong hit in the beginning.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
actually at higher percents dair to fsmash CAN be a combo if the dair sends them up a little instead of away. and what better time to combo into fsmash than at a higher percent?

i find a good time to use this move is when the opponent is approaching from the air (not a short hop though, they have to be falling toward you, not rising as they get close). if they are approaching from the air they usually try an attack, and fsmash often outprioritizes it and scores a kill, especially since this situation arises most near a stage's edge.

another trick is if they are falling from above you and going for an attack, just walk to the left or right to get away from them then c-stick in the opposite direction, back toward them, as they land. i feel like this one is more commonly implemented by many characters.

you cant be predictable with either of these techniques though because if an opponent figures it out you WILL be punished.

finally, this is not really advice but kinda interesting. i was playing a kirby ditto the other day and as my opponent climbed back on the side of FD i hit him with fsmash and it killed him at around 55% (70ish after the hit). i was amazed. this move is powerful haha

3xSwords

Smash Lord
lol no DI? Also about dair > f-smash at high%'s is really DI dependent so unless your opponent DI's upwards its not guaranteed. And I find its just too unreliable to go with f-smash esp. if I am also at a high%.

Another trick I like is to f-smash away from them when they are right next to me and still hit them. Creates a pretty funny "wtf?" moment. Also downward tilted f-smash is really useful b/c it sends opponents on a lower trajectory than normally. This makes it really difficult to recover and opens up a great gimping opportunity.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
lol no DI? Also about dair > f-smash at high%'s is really DI dependent so unless your opponent DI's upwards its not guaranteed. And I find its just too unreliable to go with f-smash esp. if I am also at a high%.
i'm fairly sure the fsmash will hit them no matter what direction they DI in. you know what I meant, right? their knockback animation is completely different. instead of kinda "bouncing away" they fly in an upward direction and they will be spinning, unable to do anything because the dair bounces them off the ground. it may be possible to TECH out of this but that seems extremely difficult to time.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Sometimes fsmash knocks the opponent straight up. I believe this always happens if they are hit by the after hit since it usually happens when they try to spotdodge my fsmash but the hitbox stays out too long and still hits them. I don't think its anywhere near as strong but usually I still get the kill cause they probably DI up when hit by fsmash and it just helped them die XD

Also using fsmash when your opponent can block it is probably one of the worst things that can happen. Since kirby moves forward while doing his fsmash, he is usually still in range of the opponents counter attacks even though they get pushed a bit away. Perfect shields are even worse since the opponent is literally right next to you (no shield sliding from perfect shields) and have almost no lag from blocking the attack. You should be absolutely certain your fsmash will hit when you use it.

I believe misusing my fsmash when trying to rush for a kill and becoming predictable is the main reason for the matches I lose. Never use fsmash unless you are certain it will hit, no matter how high damage they are. Abusing this attack can cause the match to turn in your opponent. Don't let this happen.

I actually don't like fsmash as a kill move that much. Its great when there is an opening for it, but really you will improve more from learning to not use this move as much. My preferred kill moves are uthrow, Bair, and aerial hammer. This is kirbys second most powerful kill move (unless the opponent is killed off the top earlier than off the side, some characters are like this such as lucario i think) and most punishable due to it moving kirby forward.

However I would like to say that it is definitely abusable when you are either on a platform or at the edge of the stage. Unless your opponent perfect shields your fsmash, which is rare since they will be in fear of dying at the edge of the stage, then this won't help. But usually when they block your fsmash it will push them off the stage or platform so they can't punish you. If they don't block it then they can die very early since its the edge of the stage. This is my favorite time to use the fsmash.

Also a downward angle fsmash while on a platform can hit tall opponents below you on battlefield. I remember doing this once but I haven't really tested it or done it much... so if anyone wants to look into that itd be great lol. Unfortunately I am at work right now soo... maybe I'll test this later? o.O

wall of text <3 lol

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Good post Twilight, I agree. I'm a good Kirby player, but I probably do use Fsmash too much. Probably because it was so easy to abuse in the Smash 64 :)

What is perfect shielding? When they shield right as you hit?

My only question is this: Fsmash (and ftilt, but we're not talking about that) can be aimed horizontally, upwards, or downwards. I've been meaning to try it out, but I always forget. Do any of you regularly use the upwards or downward Fsmash, and have you noticed any advantages? I know the downward is better for hitting on the edge of a stage, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages, like does downward fsmash sometimes hit the opponent even when they're shielding? (just an example...stuff like that.)

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
Forward smash, such a good move, but must be used smart to make it work well. The easiest way to hit anybody with a forward smash is if they're falling in front of you while air dodging. People think since that they're air dodging as they hit the ground, they won't get hit because they'll shield almost immediately afterwords. Shows how much they know, forward smash them as they're coming to hit the ground, and you will hit them guaranteed.

As stated before don't spam this move, you'll be wasting its good value which is its KO capability. I usually use this move when my opponent is under 30% and won't use it again until 90% or so, by that point it will have recovered and be a fresh move again.

Be smart about this move, be unpredictable with it, be patient and wait for the perfect time to use it. I simply get a kick out of it anytime I kill a Snake at around 100%, good times :D

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Downward angled fsmash can poke the bottom of a shield and upward angled fsmash can hit opponents about a SH above you and possibly poke the top of a shield. I am not sure if they have slightly less range.

Down angle can knock them into the ground giving them a chance to tech if they are really fast at reacting and kinda reduces the knockback if they hit the ground. Up angle is just a bad angle... goes diagonally up and allows easy recovery and less chance to kill.

Oh something I like to do is fsmash in the opposite direction of my opponent when they are on top of me. Since kirbys body becomes a hitbox, they will still get hit and pushed in the opposite direction. If they they will be pushed the opposite direction that you travel in, so it makes it a great move to give you some space. Also people tend to react to the "WOAH" sound and block, so you can generally use it to space yourself and travel the other way. (I love mindgames lol)

lols I think one time I fsmashed away from my opponent and he blocked right away and tried to counter attack but missed(I think he was marth and he did his forward smash) then I just fsmashed back the other way and killed him.

Oh and deg, fsmashing people as they land is dangerous since its a very small window where you can damage them assuming they shield as soon as they land. I prefer to just dash grab them every time they land until they start spot dodging every time they land so that I can just punish the spotdodge with a fsmash. What you said can work but only if the fsmash hitbox is out as they land. Very small window and the fsmash has a tiny bit of startup lag so you have to actually start slightly before they touch the ground. I would only did this if I was at low-mid damage and it would kill the opponent. But really the opponent will very rarely be close enough to fsmash as they land, running upsmash is probably a better choice if you were to go for a kill.

Btw try doing the first or second hit of a fair and landing just after hitting the opponent and doing fsmash. At high percents it seems like it knocks the opponent just a bit into the air in front of kirby that if it doesn't true combo it at least only leaves a small window to dodge. Also jab jab fsmash? lols

Best is dtilt trip to fsmash. This won't work at too high of percents though, but usually at this point you can kill them with upthrow so it doesn't matter.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Good post Twilight, I agree. I'm a good Kirby player, but I probably do use Fsmash too much. Probably because it was so easy to abuse in the Smash 64 :)

What is perfect shielding? When they shield right as you hit?
Yes.

My only question is this: Fsmash (and ftilt, but we're not talking about that) can be aimed horizontally, upwards, or downwards. I've been meaning to try it out, but I always forget. Do any of you regularly use the upwards or downward Fsmash, and have you noticed any advantages? I know the downward is better for hitting on the edge of a stage, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages, like does downward fsmash sometimes hit the opponent even when they're shielding? (just an example...stuff like that.)
Not really...I've seen alot of Kirby vids and nobody tilts their f-smashes. However, tilting downward puts your opponent on a more horizontal trajectory, and tilting upward makes your opponent go more diagonally. Tilting down while hitting an opponent on the ledge is probably a semi-spike, but I'm not sure and can't check atm.

As for combos, f-smash is Kirby's go-to finisher.

Gonzo for fast-fallers: f-throw>u-air>f-throw>u-air>f-smash
Gonzo for middleweights: f-throw>u-air>f-smash
Dunno what it's called: d-air (including ground hit)>d-tilt>f-smash

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
As for combos, f-smash is Kirby's go-to finisher.
Fsmash is just the higher risk and higher reward option. If they are quick enough people can generally avoid those fsmashs. ftilt and grab are much safer generally and do a fair amount of damage. Of course fsmash has the potential to kill so its just preference.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Agreed stutter stepping doesn't really matter for kirby. Out of his smashes its the greatest in terms of power. Outside of killing and ending combos you really don't want to use this move.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I disagree, i stutter step mine for one very unique reason.

Simply put Kirby's hit box on this move depends on what time during the move u get hit. By stepping back from ur opponent and then immediatly Fsmashing in their direction u can change the position of the hitbox that hits for a much more stronger Fsmash. Also u can mind game ur Fsmash by using a normal one and then one u get the chance smash forward b4 u Fsmash to get a boost and hit ur opponent with a hit that normally wouldn't have it.

Just some ways to use it. I also use it when i dont have an option and need to space my opponent.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
walking slowly away from the opponent to space and mindgame at the same time is soooooooo fun

kirby just looks so innocent then.. WOAH!

lol

T-nuts

Smash Ace
so i was playing today and i landed a 0-death on a fox. not really a combo, but it sure worked. i started the gonzo combo like normal against him at 0% and instead of finishing with a fsmash i finished with ground hammer. he couldnt react because he was too busy using shine trying to knock me out of the combo haha and it killed him at like 50 something total damage. i was on the edge of FD when the hammer connected.

sooo umm the moral here is to keep fsmash fresh by using hammer at the end instead! haha not really, mixing it up with other moves is a good idea though. haha sorry if this wasnt really on topic, i didnt want to make a new thread.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
lol i like how its relevant but not really, nice punish for the reflector. i've been shined off to many times in melee its nice to c some payback. on another note and more off topic how pimp would it be if Kirby copied reflector!?!?

continuing on with the Fsmash discussion. when fsmash is tilted as far down as possible its hitbox extends throught the lip of the edge meaning if ur opponent is under the ledge trying to recover time a good Fsmash and u can get a safe easy kill

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
When is this topic getting updated? o.o

Anyways I really would like to say... PLEASE don't do dair to fsmash... at least not as your first instinct. I see kirbys get punished for this sooooooo much in tourneys. I could say that overall they get a good 80% damage or so due to this each round. Possibly sometimes they would be kill moves. The best instant reaction you could have after a dair is a grab. If they start spotdodging you can dash attack and maybe fsmash. Reason is, as soon as someone is hit by dair and they slide away, they are usually holding shield and so the first moment its possible for them to shield it will pop out. Kirby's fsmash has just enough lag for the shield to block the fsmash just as it comes out. Then the fsmash puts kirby right next to them and with ending lag.... very bad.

Please don't always follow up dair with fsmash =/ its painful to watch (3 other kirbys at a tourney today got tired of seeing this happen... lol)

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^I've mentioned this before in previous posts. >.< I feel like all my posts get ignored.

Watever hopefully they'll listen to you more than me. It seems like people tend to listen to the likes of you, Gonzo, Deg, etc more on these forums. Meh now I'm just ranting.

Yeah plz don't dair>f-smash.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Thx Gonzo I was sorta ranting in the previous post but always great to have supportive people. I think dair>f-smash should only be used at high%'s and only when the dair trips the opponent. I'm too impatient to wait for them to tech :p. Also dair seems to trip a lot at 100%+.

And love your sig. They r always so entertaining.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Thx Gonzo I was sorta ranting in the previous post but always great to have supportive people. I think dair>f-smash should only be used at high%'s and only when the dair trips the opponent. I'm too impatient to wait for them to tech :p. Also dair seems to trip a lot at 100%+.

And love your sig. They r always so entertaining.
lol thnk u sir, i had fun with the two i made, the other one looks like this

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
hmmm i've missed a lot on this thread and i'm just starting to pick up Kirby so mind me if i say something dumb but i think my favorite use of the F smash is when someone misses a tech and naively tries to 'get up attack' me. i like the well spaced, charged F smashes :)

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Ok, so umm my old account was temporarily "punished" for the naughty sigs i enlarged to show so i finally made an account that really emphasizes Gonzo lol

so all my posts from now on will be made under this new account

~gonzo~

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
lol gonzo o.o

WELL I GOTSA TWILIGHTKIRBY FOR MY AVATAR AND YOU GOTS A GONZO FOR YOURS ZOMG :D

but yeah they wont ban you for that sig too? lol

and seriously when is this going to move on to the next um... move?

T_T

Smash Cadet
Kirby's neutral B is enough to entice any woman (:{
Er...

Anyways...

Kirby's fsmash goes through metaknight's tornado. I find that to be a nice surprise for metaknight sometimes.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
We should just discuss Utilt now since the Dr. seems to be away and well I am bored at work and utilt is just pure awesome lol.

Mainly I'm bored at work though =/ downloading files onto the company's computers...
while I go on smashboards lol.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
hahahahaha well utilt is a great move to counter MK's dair and falling Nair. It also combos into Uair depending on opponents damage and when u Utilt.

I have a very counterish style so i like to wait for my opponent to make a move and then pick a move to counter it. Utilt is a great counter move. Also something very very interesting u should know. When fighting a Snake. our Utilt cancels their Ftilt and Utilt but u need good timing, dont spam utilt time to cancel theirs. This is a big deal b/c what does every Kirby player fear. Snake's Ftilt and Uilt. so if u get good at timing Utilt to cancel other attacks u can give snake players huge problems.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
haha yeah I have noticed that utilt essentially clanks with anything that isn't truly disjointed... but an approach I do sometimes is roll to utilt. I don't really time it because either they try to punish my roll but the utilt comes out so fast it clanks and I just do another one, or they just get hit by the first utilt lols.

Utilt is definitely an offensive defense :)

BUT foxes utilt is practically exactly the same as kirbys =/ lol me and gamble were playing friendlies (hes like the best fox in socal) and we got into an utilt war with our backs facing each other and it clanked like 5 times before we just moved away from each other lol... But it seems like kirbys actually has more range than foxes.

Oh and against his fox I did a roll>utilt with my body right on top of him and could get him to 40-60% before he could get out of my utilts.It seems like delaying the utilts just the tiniest bit (not spamming it but hitt it every time they start to fall down again) makes it last a little longer, but that could be my imagination lol. Whenever he was about to get out from DI I would upsmash him. He said only fox was supposed to do that =P

So we started calling it a fox combo lols. Cause he would do it back to me as fox =/

Yeah long post like I said I'm bored haha.

Edit: 1 more hour til I'm off work =D lol.

Percon

Smash Lord
Fsmash is POWERFUL... and best used when you KNOW you're gonna hit, ie punishing airdodging/poorly spaced aerials.

Yeah, not to be spammed...

Also, Dtilt trip > fsmash is kinda neat. Also sometimes I get a dair trip and if they're high enough I kill 'em then with an fsmash.

Also, since you get that "lunge forward" thing, you can charge it VS a fallen opponent (IE missed a tech, fell off a platform, etc) who is using their get up attack for an easy KO (fsmash outranges marth's get up attack)

Oh lol we aren't even talking about that anymore >_>

Utilt is very good. An okay out of sheild option when people are behind you since most people expect a dsmash or something... I dunno.

Also, I like the part of the utilt that hits at the front since it doesn't hit them as far... but it's tougher to land and it takes more time for the foot to get all the way to the front, obviously.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
The good thing about u-tilt when you hit an opponent in front of you is that you have even less ending lag than if you hit them with your back facing them. As a result it is easier to combo although less knockback and hitstun is the trade off for less ending lag.

Dair > u-tilt is pretty sexy if the opponent doesn't DI away from you too much. But they usually do so stick with Dair >f-tilt. I think you can also use u-tilt to knock falco or fox out of their phantasm. Except I don't because that gets them back onto the stage. Anybody know if you can knock wolf out of his phantasm (during the middle of the animation not ending animation) just like falco and fox? I always assumed you couldn't but if you can, wolf vs kirby just got a lot easier for me.

XxOblivion77

Smash Cadet
Wow... So many intelligent people! ^_^

But yeah, I used to be a FSmash spammer, but let me tell you this.

DON'T SPAM IT!!

Your opponent will predict it and it will be much harder to KO. Like Deg said, use it sparingly.

I find that I get lots of hits when I FSmash them while they touch the ground. I usually just grab them anyway though.

Another good mindgames is walk away from your opponent slowly and fsmash them. It really surprises them!

Top Bottom