• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your gameplay! - Mario Peer Review

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Me in a matchup I understand (Sheik0:

Me in a matchup I'm still pretty clueless on (Meta Knight):

I play like such an idiot vs. Infinity, makes me sad. I teched away from his downthrow every single time for some reason and could not do a single thing right around the edge...

I need to grab so much more instead of going for things like dsmash at low percents, and to approach more safely, got grabbed by both these guys in too many stupid situations.

Sadly me vs. Sethlon didn't get recorded, I managed to steal game 1 from him before he brought it back in games 2 and 3.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Me in a matchup I understand (Sheik0:

Me in a matchup I'm still pretty clueless on (Meta Knight):

I play like such an idiot vs. Infinity, makes me sad. I teched away from his downthrow every single time for some reason and could not do a single thing right around the edge...

I need to grab so much more instead of going for things like dsmash at low percents, and to approach more safely, got grabbed by both these guys in too many stupid situations.

Sadly me vs. Sethlon didn't get recorded, I managed to steal game 1 from him before he brought it back in games 2 and 3.
You don't grab enough, you rush in really directly which makes you easy to punish, you use Dsmash in too many situations where other tools would be better (but I see you already noticed a few of these), and you don't go for combos. Mario really excels at comboing opponents for days to death, and I really didn't see much of that in your matches. You seemed to prefer getting in one or two Dsmash's or Fsmash's in whenever you got an opportunity, which was functional to a degree but not ideal.

On the flip side of all of that, you've still got a better Mario with better habits than most people on this thread. So props I guess.

G1i7ch

Smash Rookie
anyone got any tips for a mario project M player? i could use some nice combo ideas.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Well the point of this thread is to critique Mario videos, so if you'd like some tips, you'll need to post a video first.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
anyone got any tips for a mario project M player? i could use some nice combo ideas.
Watch videos. Pay attention to % and who it's done on.

Are you a new player?

Last edited:

G1i7ch

Smash Rookie
im not new to smash bros. i played fox alot in melee but not really on a competitive level. played brawl but it was to slow for me. now i play project M im interested in a competitive scene and i really enjoy playing as mario. so im not new but im not as good as i could be.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
If you're new to the competitive scene then you're a new player. I've been playing Smash since 64 came out, but I didn't get into the competitive scene til about a year ago so I'm still a relatively new player.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
im not new to smash bros. i played fox alot in melee but not really on a competitive level. played brawl but it was to slow for me. now i play project M im interested in a competitive scene and i really enjoy playing as mario. so im not new but im not as good as i could be.
Basic stuff
Jab into:
Down smash, grab
•you can do fsmash as a mix up
Down throw into:
Nair, dair, uair, fair, dthrow, utilt( follow ups depends on weight, % and fall speed)
Up throw into:
Depends on weight and % but you can uair>fair sometimes. Platform tech chases.
Dair into any aerial if you get the pop up part. If you don't, you can do any ground move that isn't fsmash. I'm not sure about usmash.
Just some of the stuff you can do.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I was playing some locals tonight and was really happy with my performance for the most part. I did though get bodied by a really solid ROB and was wondering if anyone had any tips for the matchup? I think I just need more matchup experience as I didn't quite know what combo tools to use and how to set up kills.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
I was playing some locals tonight and was really happy with my performance for the most part. I did though get bodied by a really solid ROB and was wondering if anyone had any tips for the matchup? I think I just need more matchup experience as I didn't quite know what combo tools to use and how to set up kills.
I havent played a rob in a while but from what i know is u cant fireball too much this mu rob can send em back with sideb or eat threw em with a air move
however robs moves do have alot of start up time so u can catch him out the air with a well timed uair or even fair idont think u can really combo him out of dthrow too much so just get ur hit in and retreat just build damage up then hit him with a well spaced smash attack or fair maybe even nair in some cases

also try to get rid of that toy he throws out when u see it coming just fireball or cape it or simply get out the way cause rob can combo hard from it

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I don't think rob handles pressure that well, that or this guy didn't know how to respond. Also, when edge guarding him, basically do what you do against snake. So just bair/fireball him till he can't boost anymore.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Here are three sets of my Mario, I would love some feedback. My tag is "uCool"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSeUNf7xX9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H0p4S4qL1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZK4f-1110

For some reason it always takes me the first stock to get in my groove.
Biggest things I noticed:
-You like to spot-dodge a lot. Don't do that, if you feel you're in danger of getting hit/grabbed either run or WD away those are both better options than shielding and spot-dodging
-Don't approach with full hop fireballs, it leaves you pretty open, short hop instead.
-You use a lot of smash attacks at low percents when instead you could keep using pokes to extend your combos, dsmash is a good "get off me" move, but fsmash is best saved for when your opponent is in kill percent, and usmash is highly situational
-Stop taunting so much, if you really feel the need to taunt, once is enough, and if you want to use Mario's up-taunt cancel it so you don't get punished.
-You never jab! What's up with that? Mario has one of the best jabs in the game the first hit is three frames and the first two hits can cancel into literally whatever you want.
-Learn what situations to utilize dash dancing in. The one time I saw you do it, your opponent was invincible, that's not a good a time to dash dance. You should dash dance when you have stage control.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Biggest things I noticed:
-You like to spot-dodge a lot. Don't do that, if you feel you're in danger of getting hit/grabbed either run or WD away those are both better options than shielding and spot-dodging
-Don't approach with full hop fireballs, it leaves you pretty open, short hop instead.
-You use a lot of smash attacks at low percents when instead you could keep using pokes to extend your combos, dsmash is a good "get off me" move, but fsmash is best saved for when your opponent is in kill percent, and usmash is highly situational
-Stop taunting so much, if you really feel the need to taunt, once is enough, and if you want to use Mario's up-taunt cancel it so you don't get punished.
-You never jab! What's up with that? Mario has one of the best jabs in the game the first hit is three frames and the first two hits can cancel into literally whatever you want.
-Learn what situations to utilize dash dancing in. The one time I saw you do it, your opponent was invincible, that's not a good a time to dash dance. You should dash dance when you have stage control.
- Spot-dodging allows me to instantly counter an opponents pattern that ive picked up on, why wouldn't I do that some of the time? Always running or wave dashing away is terrible advice.

- First off you can wave land full hop fireballs. Full hopping and short hopping together also gives you two fire balls that have different trajectories. So i use both. (you should too)

-You're right i do need to taunt more

- I do need to jab more

-dash dancing is for baiting, but its also a good tool to keep my opponent guessing at what I'm going to do next.

thanks for the tips, but you should probably learn a bit more before you give out advice.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I saw you get punished for spot-dodging multiple times (granted they weren't hard punishes, you're opponent needs to work on their punish game) and you can't instantly counter anything out of a spot-dodge it has more lag than you think, it's rarely a good option. I didn't once see you waveland a full-hop fireball and I would take your own advice here because you weren't really mixing up your approach. Dash dancing is indeed for baiting, but when your opponent has stage control, you're not really in a position to use that particular tool to bait them.

Last edited:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I saw you get punished for spot-dodging multiple times (granted they weren't hard punishes, you're opponent needs to work on their punish game) and you can't instantly counter anything out of a spot-dodge it has more lag than you think, it's rarely a good option. I didn't once see you waveland a full-hop fireball and I would take your own advice here because you weren't really mixing up your approach. Dash dancing is indeed for baiting, but when your opponent has stage control, you're not really in a position to use that particular tool to bait them.
I can counter out of a spot dodge with d-smash, grab, d-tilt. I'm not saying spot dodge 100 percent of the time is good, but its an option along with running and wave dashing away. 3 options is better than two. Yea i was missing quite a few wave lands from full hop fireballs. But full hopping and short hopping gives you a wall of fireballs, instead of a predictable sine wave.
dash dancing is for baiting and and just general mind games. If your opponent is standing still, its much easier to predict what hell do than if hes dancing dancing back in forth in the same area.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I can counter out of a spot dodge with d-smash, grab, d-tilt. I'm not saying spot dodge 100 percent of the time is good, but its an option along with running and wave dashing away. 3 options is better than two. Yea i was missing quite a few wave lands from full hop fireballs. But full hopping and short hopping gives you a wall of fireballs, instead of a predictable sine wave.
dash dancing is for baiting and and just general mind games. If your opponent is standing still, its much easier to predict what hell do than if hes dancing dancing back in forth in the same area.
You can get grabbed after a spot-dodge before you have time to do any of those things, again I agree that mixing up your fireballs is good, but that's something that you weren't doing and approaching with a full hop is still bad in most cases especially since a lot of the times the fireballs were completely whiffing and you got hit instead. I'd save throwing full hops into the mix for when you're zoning rather than approaching, and again the one time you dash danced your opponent was invincible this means they have stage control by default unless they give it up (which they didn't) and not only did your "mind game" not work, you got punished for it.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Rob is really annoying, good reach, recovery, and his tilts are pretty quick.

Some general ROB advice:

- zone a lot with fireballs
- do not go head-to-head with him in the air!
- bait, wavedash OoS to grab, d-throw to f-air works at certain percents.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
You can get grabbed after a spot-dodge before you have time to do any of those things, again I agree that mixing up your fireballs is good, but that's something that you weren't doing and approaching with a full hop is still bad in most cases especially since a lot of the times the fireballs were completely whiffing and you got hit instead. I'd save throwing full hops into the mix for when you're zoning rather than approaching, and again the one time you dash danced your opponent was invincible this means they have stage control by default unless they give it up (which they didn't) and not only did your "mind game" not work, you got punished for it.
Two isolated incidents bro, let it go.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Last time I try to be helpful to anyone.

Edti: Also fyi, when something happens consistently, it's not an isolated incident.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Here are three sets of my Mario, I would love some feedback. My tag is "uCool"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSeUNf7xX9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H0p4S4qL1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZK4f-1110

For some reason it always takes me the first stock to get in my groove.
Things I noticed, in the first video:
You don't use utilt, at all. Its a good follow up after d throw and chains well into your other moves. Its also a good anti air.
You should try wavelanding your full hoped fireballs.
You don't have to dsmash after dair every time. You can grab, the a a a combo, jab into stuff or some sort of mix up.
I saw sometimes where you would just b throw him, as if it was a finisher. It can kill, but at the % you were doing it, it would have been better to dthrow>fair.
Try working on your fireball conversions. In the second game I saw you going for fireball>fsmash a lot, but you kept missing. You might be able to land it if you pivot fsmash, sh fireball, fireball from a different distance or height instead.
Try to mix up your approaches. Make sure to start using fireballs as you do it. There are plenty of times I've fireball'd in neutral and got a free grab.
fthrow really isn't good, at low percents stick to d throw. If you're near the edge and you know you got dis, go for it and gimp'em.
When you are put back in neutral, don't just rush in. Try fireballing, DD, baiting anything really, just don't be brainless about it.
In this mirror match, I think you should avoid approaching from under mario b/c his dair is super good.
Try using DD more in your play.
Stop taunting when he doesn't die and spamming taunt That's wasted time that could be used better spent. You could be using that time to secure a stock, get free DMG or get better positing.

I only watched the first game once so .-. hope that helped you out some.

Last edited:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Things I noticed, in the first video:
You don't use utilt, at all. Its a good follow up after d throw and chains well into your other moves. Its also a good anti air.
You should try wavelanding your full hoped fireballs.
You don't have to dsmash after dair every time. You can grab, the a a a combo, jab into stuff or some sort of mix up.
I saw sometimes where you would just b throw him, as if it was a finisher. It can kill, but at the % you were doing it, it would have been better to dthrow>fair.
Try working on your fireball conversions. In the second game I saw you going for fireball>fsmash a lot, but you kept missing. You might be able to land it if you pivot fsmash, sh fireball, fireball from a different distance or height instead.
Try to mix up your approaches. Make sure to start using fireballs as you do it. There are plenty of times I've fireball'd in neutral and got a free grab.
fthrow really isn't good, at low percents stick to d throw. If you're near the edge and you know you got dis, go for it and gimp'em.
When you are put back in neutral, don't just rush in. Try fireballing, DD, baiting anything really, just don't be brainless about it.
In this mirror match, I think you should avoid approaching from under mario b/c his dair is super good.
Try using DD more in your play.
Stop taunting when he doesn't die and spamming taunt That's wasted time that could be used better spent. You could be using that time to secure a stock, get free DMG or get better positing.

I only watched the first game once so .-. hope that helped you out some.
Helped out a lot! Thanks man! I'll take this all into consideration

GeZ

Smash Lord
Helped out a lot! Thanks man! I'll take this all into consideration
Yo Murio, I think you should take deadjames' suggestions into consideration too. They were more pointing out what habits to break but that contrasts well with ez's post on areas of your game to develop, and I think that the suggestions from both posters actually work well as a whole.

GeZ

Smash Lord
So I finally actually have gameplay to post. It takes me a few matches to loosen up, and a few of them through out are with GnW, but for the most part, I'm pretty satisfied with this as an accurate representation of my Mario (minus the first match with Ganon which was scrub city on my part).

So yeah. Peer review appreciated.

http://www.twitch.tv/dantarion/b/508612224

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I bad
Cure this problem
I know in this video my Di was bad on those Fsmashs but aside from that, what should I do? And yea, don't get grabbed is one of those things
Also, I stay in the air to much as well as I don't go for grabs enough

Here's me against his snake
I don't really know the MU so I learned it as I went
Next time I'll just do what I did after these recorded matches, just get him off stage and bair him till he doesn't come back
Any tips an stuff would be helpful
So the thing where you intercepted his C4 recovery to ledge tech was so ill, I need a prescription.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Hello fellow Mario mains. I want to get some feedback on my Mario since I finally got some footage recorded.

But I guess before I get started I will follow the thread rules and introduce myself, lol.

My name is BO X7. Pronounced BoEx7. Not Box7 or B.O times 7. BoEx7, lol. Bo 7 times. Seriously, people get this wrong all the time.

I main Mario because he's a big part of my childhood. I will main him in every version of super smash brothers until the end of time.

I've only been playing project M since the release of 3.0 and I haven't started going to tourneys for it until 3 weeks ago. I plan to keep consistently going to PM tourneys in Chicago. I was primarily a Brawl player, and frankly I'm probably much, much better at Brawl, but I got tired of the gimicky top tier characters and how inferior Mario is to everyone else.

Anyway, here's what I want critiqued. http://www.twitch.tv/expgamingil/b/511408812 (Skip to 7:31:39 to 7:43:35 )

This here is a crew battle at Smash101 that was recorded last night. I lasted about 3 rounds. So those are the matches I would like critiqued.

Weakness

I really like Mario but my main issue with Mario (or probably the game in general) is that I lack a lot of control with him. Mario doesn't do things I want him to do at a given moment and I think you might notice this many times when I miss techs and kill opportunities. This hurts me A LOT.

I also feel that I focus too much on tech skill and not enough on playing intelligent. And when I try to reverse it, I run into the problem I stated before about lack of control. It's hard for me to find a happy medium. But I guess that'll come in due time. It's a bit frustrating, I feel I can enjoy the game more once I have full control over Mario so I execute what's in my mind.

Lastly, apparently I suck at DI. I don't know as much about as I thought I would. I don't like being stuck in combos and not being able to get out of them even when I'm DIing away from them. Maybe you guys can catch that in my matches and give me feedback.

Anyway, if you guys have any feedback, I'm open ears for criticism. I hope it isn't too inconvenient skipping to times listed above to find my matches, lol. There's not a lot I know about this game (especially match ups) and it bites me in the butt since I don't know how to fight them. Inexperience+lack of control= a lot of frustration xD.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
You make me want to be a lot of calmer with Mario, lol. Unfortunately I don't think I can play that way, I'll bored myself. But at least your Mario is very effective. Nice use of Fireballs.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I disagree with the above post. This is a solid example of fireballs used wrong. If the player you were against had half a brain you would've lost a stock every time you used an extraneous fireball without purpose ten feet off the ground. I'll do better critique in a sec and edit this post.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
This is a solid example of fireballs used wrong. If the player you were against had half a brain you would've lost a stock every time you used an extraneous fireball without purpose ten feet off the ground.
This. I also felt like not much movement aside whatever was done when using a fireball was done. It made this mario pretty predictable. 2lazy2review

Scatz

Smash Champion
Feel free to tear me apart. Only played PM twice now, and was learning matchups as I went throughout the tourney.

Vs. Zelda/Shiek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll29Z74Hb1s&index=4&list=PLFwF8ZCJJt-RkyvdZG4aTxziKBZOGUCQl

Also, the person that recorded them did it through VirtualDub when his computer can't handle processing in .avi format. So the video gets choppy and looks bad (no audio either). I'll probably take my wii and record my own matches since I've done recording on a consistent basis.

I also have vs Falcon matches, but they're so terrible that I don't even feel like posting them.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'll put my input down after some anime.

Edit:
-looks at video
breh, turn da light on
@ Scatz Scatz
Try not to jump into zelda to often, she will punish you with the blue spinny thing of doom
• If she jumps and does it, it auto cancels.
• Dins fire, if you nair or dair through it, not only will you go through it, but you will have a frame advantage.(Don't be afrqid to clank them)
Get your L cancels down. I saw a good bit of nairs missed and hits on shield.
• A good way to practice L cancels when hitting characters, which is the same as hitting shields, is to go in training, go against a big body character, put their handicap at 9 and yours at 1.
Full hop nairs aren't that great, soso against people who like to be in the air to take up space, but all it did was put you in unfavorable situations.
utilt is pretty awesome after dair, or dsmash or a mix up, remember dis always my son
If zelda is a ways a way from the stage, and she throws a dins fire at the edge or on the stage some where, she is probably going there.

ok so sheik time yeeeeeeeeeea
k
so
stuff and words
Try working on your Di when she goes for those dthrows
I saw you punished him real good for just thinking a dash grad would be enough, good stuff
Try DD a lot on FD in this mu and maybe a little more fireballs, not to many because the punishment is real. I say DD more because it makes you harder to grab if done correctly, if you're harder to grab, that means they run a higher risk of failure.
Sometimes its better to just for the combo instead of the gimp. You did good with the gimp when she was about 30-40 er so but then you got her in the same situation, this time, they were about half of that and you tried again. I think you should have went for the FREE DMG that time.

Last edited:

Danny_SsB

Smash Apprentice
Here are other Matches other tournament called "Freedom 2014" was after "Overload 2014" I played several Matchups (including the infamous Pit :c) and try using a little less fireballs. The opinion I leave of you :)

Losers Semis

Losers Finals

Grand Finals

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Here are other Matches other tournament called "Freedom 2014" was after "Overload 2014" I played several Matchups (including the infamous Pit :c) and try using a little less fireballs. The opinion I leave of you :)

Losers Semis

Losers Finals

Grand Finals
These were better actually. What I posted in the other thread still applies, but less so. From this I'd say focus on not telegraphing what you're going to do next, actually capitalizing off of fireballs as a fireball unfollowed is useless, and getting a better feel for how Mario combo's as you landed a lot of individual hits but very few combos.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I only watched the first video, and that was once. Here is what I noticed.

If you try to grab once or twice and it fails, ether stop, or try a new setup. The spamming of fireballs needs to stop. You fireball at point blank many times, against characters that isn't smart to do it against. If a good\smart player were to play you, you would get ****ed up for that. Just me watching you play, I can predict a good amount of times you will press B, the fox and sheik even stuffed you a few times for doing it to. Try using DD, try finding new ways to approach, fireball isn't the end all beat all approach. I recommend not using fireball in your actual play for a while, and then try bring it back.

oh, and if fireball grab is failing, think about why it messed up. Were they to far, did they side step(not enough hit stun), did they roll etc. There is more than just fireball>lolgrab

Sometimes going for the CG isn't the best. I saw a few attempts on sheik that didn't work out and even one er some of those times you actually died. You also failed the CG on lucario a good bit, you could have and should gone for free guaranteed DMG, considered you messed it up before on him. Against fox, if your under a platform, I recommend just going for the dthrow instead of the uthrow.

Only saw it once, someone will probably do a follow up.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Hi guys, I'm here requesting to be torn apart. I have never played Mario besides a few casual matches. I was at one point a notable Brawl Peach player (many of you may know me), and I'm still learning Melee logic.

I played Mario, found I enjoyed him, and ended up trash talking and challenging a local Zelda player friend of mine (who I hadn't played since he switched to Zelda) to a "MM" of sorts- my completely unpracticed, unskilled Mario against his Zelda. Loser has to do 10 pushups. I lost (game 3, last stock), and challenged him to a rematch. I actually enjoy playing Mario and am now interested in picking him up as a second.

Below is the match of my garbage Mario. Can I get tips?

Two notes:

* I apologize for the occasional flicker in the video. Apparently my recording equipment was having issues.
* I appear to do a lot of risky offstage charges during his recovery. During the first set, I discovered that I had a lot of trouble preventing his recovery- after he'd teleport I couldn't punish the end of it because of the hitbox and low ending lag. So I found that it actually worked better to be very aggressive offstage so I can throw out a hit the moment he *starts* the teleport. Maybe there's a better way, but basically charging in to him was remarkably effective- I don't do this in any other matchups, I would normally camp fireballs, bairwall and edgehog.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Hi guys, I'm here requesting to be torn apart. I have never played Mario besides a few casual matches. I was at one point a notable Brawl Peach player (many of you may know me), and I'm still learning Melee logic.

I played Mario, found I enjoyed him, and ended up trash talking and challenging a local Zelda player friend of mine (who I hadn't played since he switched to Zelda) to a "MM" of sorts- my completely unpracticed, unskilled Mario against his Zelda. Loser has to do 10 pushups. I lost (game 3, last stock), and challenged him to a rematch. I actually enjoy playing Mario and am now interested in picking him up as a second.

Below is the match of my garbage Mario. Can I get tips?

Two notes:

* I apologize for the occasional flicker in the video. Apparently my recording equipment was having issues.
* I appear to do a lot of risky offstage charges during his recovery. During the first set, I discovered that I had a lot of trouble preventing his recovery- after he'd teleport I couldn't punish the end of it because of the hitbox and low ending lag. So I found that it actually worked better to be very aggressive offstage so I can throw out a hit the moment he *starts* the teleport. Maybe there's a better way, but basically charging in to him was remarkably effective- I don't do this in any other matchups, I would normally camp fireballs, bairwall and edgehog.

Alright, I'm lazy, but I'll do a review of your first match, one watch, as it plays, no punctuation, no clothes.
work on sweet spotting your up b
work on L cancels
when going for kills try dthrow into fair\nair\bair
try dthrow into usmash\utilts\uair\dair at low-mid % for combos
try using dash cancels and smash atks
dont always just run in, try spacing some with wavedashes\DD
try using wavelands when going from platform2platform
dont bthrow at low % on characters with good up B's
use nado when recovering
use side b when recovering
work on survival Di
if they shield a lot after your first jab, ether do jab 2 and a mix, jab 1 + grab, or even jab 1 + aerial
it's ok you went off the stage to take on more DMG but that won't work well against good players. try to predict, space, bait and punish them
dont dash atk till they are around mid %
dont just fireball if they wont come to you

Last edited:

BrandyB

Smash Rookie
Yo guys! I started playing smash seriously a few months ago and picked up Mario pretty early on into my search for a main. I like the way he combos and I came fresh out of speedrunning SM64, so it felt appropriate.

So here's a video of my fighting my friend, who is also fairly new to competitive smash. Let me know what I can improve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgEtUc2Hr6w

Obviously I'm still very new to the game so I think my movement reflects that. BUT I'm more looking for specific pointers. Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom