• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your gameplay! - Mario Peer Review

GeZ

Smash Lord
You know guys, there's a guide that'll walk you through all the intricacies of learning the character so you can post video's here that aren't "I DON'T KNOW THIS GAEM HEEEEELP". Seriously. I helped write it. It's pretty ****ing good.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You know guys, there's a guide that'll walk you through all the intricacies of learning the character so you can post video's here that aren't "I DON'T KNOW THIS GAEM HEEEEELP". Seriously. I helped write it. It's pretty ****ing good.
Now son, listen here, ya heard, we ol country folk, we just don't know when to read or when to act, we just want it all right now. We comin to agreement on this land?

But really guys, watch players who are better than you and try to figure out what they do differently and if it works, try it out. A lot of the recent videos want a personal invitation to all be told the same things. Watch, learn and steal that tech. If I remember correctly, @ GeZ GeZ has a guide covering basics like he just said. If you can't L cancel, combo or really do much besides run in and atk people, go there before posting! I also bumped the other helpful post for you guys.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Anyway, here's what I want critiqued. http://www.twitch.tv/expgamingil/b/511408812 (Skip to 7:31:39 to 7:43:35 )

This here is a crew battle at Smash101 that was recorded last night. I lasted about 3 rounds. So those are the matches I would like critiqued.

Weakness

I really like Mario but my main issue with Mario (or probably the game in general) is that I lack a lot of control with him. Mario doesn't do things I want him to do at a given moment and I think you might notice this many times when I miss techs and kill opportunities. This hurts me A LOT.

I also feel that I focus too much on tech skill and not enough on playing intelligent. And when I try to reverse it, I run into the problem I stated before about lack of control. It's hard for me to find a happy medium. But I guess that'll come in due time. It's a bit frustrating, I feel I can enjoy the game more once I have full control over Mario so I execute what's in my mind.

Lastly, apparently I suck at DI. I don't know as much about as I thought I would. I don't like being stuck in combos and not being able to get out of them even when I'm DIing away from them. Maybe you guys can catch that in my matches and give me feedback.

Anyway, if you guys have any feedback, I'm open ears for criticism. I hope it isn't too inconvenient skipping to times listed above to find my matches, lol. There's not a lot I know about this game (especially match ups) and it bites me in the butt since I don't know how to fight them. Inexperience+lack of control= a lot of frustration xD.
Hey guys, if possible I'd like these matches I posted earlier critiqued. Because of my lack of control with Mario, I contemplated switching to Roy, but he's even more frustrating, lol. So I'm going all Mario. I want to take him seriously and start placing higher with him but I wanna the opinion of my fellow Marios so I take him to the next level.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Hey guys, if possible I'd like these matches I posted earlier critiqued. Because of my lack of control with Mario, I contemplated switching to Roy, but he's even more frustrating, lol. So I'm going all Mario. I want to take him seriously and start placing higher with him but I wanna the opinion of my fellow Marios so I take him to the next level.
I get an error when trying to load your match. Possible you can get it uploaded to youtube?

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I get an error when trying to load your match. Possible you can get it uploaded to youtube?
Wow, you're right, looks like they must have deleted the recording from the archive. T_T

Oh well, I guess I'll have some videos up here for critique eventually

Last edited:

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
hey this is my first time here however, i've been playing mario for an extremely long time and i was wondering if someone could just help me improve among other stuff. i would really appreciate it

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
hey this is my first time here however, i've been playing mario for an extremely long time and i was wondering if someone could just help me improve among other stuff. i would really appreciate it
post a video

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Charizard main picking up Mario here for the last month. I started playing PM seriously again at 3.0, unfortunately only recently getting into Melee. Anyways I'd appreciate any feedback on these tournament vids:

Winners Finals: Joker(Link) vs. Blank(Mario)
http://www.twitch.tv/pixelsvideogames/b/517293572?t=10h16m25s

Grand Finals: Same as Winners
http://www.twitch.tv/pixelsvideogames/b/517293572?t=10h53m05s

I think my main bad habit is falling into predictable dash attacks. I also need to recognize more fsmash and fair opportunities. Of course, I can always improve my movement.

I'll check out the other videos in this thread to hopefully gain something for my game. Thanks in advance!

GeZ

Smash Lord
Charizard main picking up Mario here for the last month. I started playing PM seriously again at 3.0, unfortunately only recently getting into Melee. Anyways I'd appreciate any feedback on these tournament vids:

Winners Finals: Joker(Link) vs. Blank(Mario)
http://www.twitch.tv/pixelsvideogames/b/517293572?t=10h16m25s

Grand Finals: Same as Winners
http://www.twitch.tv/pixelsvideogames/b/517293572?t=10h53m05s

I think my main bad habit is falling into predictable dash attacks. I also need to recognize more fsmash and fair opportunities. Of course, I can always improve my movement.

I'll check out the other videos in this thread to hopefully gain something for my game. Thanks in advance!
You should check the guide too. It's much more in depth than rudimentary and could really help.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Here's some matches of me from my last tourney, http://www.twitch.tv/mew2king/b/51799952
23:00 Me vs J-slo (Wolf/Ganon)
34:28 Me vs Strong Bad (Mario/DK)
1:35:08 Me vs Xion (Sonic)
1:48:41 Me vs Strong Bad (DK)
Critique please! I need to figure out how to beat Strong Bad.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Got some matches of Dr. Yogi's Mario.
If you guys don't mind, could you please critique him? He's still getting better with his Mario. The one thing I believe he needs to work on is his tech skill.

vs Chaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt-Fb-dPMcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfk2QwofdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTa0UZcFWvc

vs Killanator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57onQ3h8mWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5NMHbtl99E

vs Sneak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZPKuhmMJM
From what I've seen he's really obvious with his approach game. If any of his opponents had started shield grabbing he would've melted. He also uses up his double jumps a bit too frequently, and spends too much time off the ground. Mario's air game is all right, but on the ground he's a fortress.

I'd say you're friend doesn't need more investment in tech, he needs more investment in thought.

Edit: also, tell him that your not supposed to transition from comboing them, back into the neutral. If you land a hit, convert it into a kill. That doesn't mean it has to be a guaranteed combo to death every time, but if you let them go or knock them away, do it in a way that lets you chase and maintain pressure. He suffers from what a lot of early Mario mains suffer from which is thinking Mario excels at getting a bit of damage in then going back to neutral.

Last edited:

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
From what I've seen he's really obvious with his approach game. If any of his opponents had started shield grabbing he would've melted. He also uses up his double jumps a bit too frequently, and spends too much time off the ground. Mario's air game is all right, but on the ground he's a fortress.

I'd say you're friend doesn't need more investment in tech, he needs more investment in thought.

Edit: also, tell him that your not supposed to transition from comboing them, back into the neutral. If you land a hit, convert it into a kill. That doesn't mean it has to be a guaranteed combo to death every time, but if you let them go or knock them away, do it in a way that lets you chase and maintain pressure. He suffers from what a lot of early Mario mains suffer from which is thinking Mario excels at getting a bit of damage in then going back to neutral.

Thanks for the critique man. I really appreciate it. :]

However the only reason why I thinks he needs to practice his technical skill is because he usually has a problem with execution. So I guess that's something he needs to work on in my opinion.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I have a tournament in merely a few hours and may not get any points in time but what the hey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HjxXkOlzBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB3sHP7WB_Q

can't say I'm *that* terribly good of a Mario (at this time, I was literally going by 100% instinct as I had absolutely no knowledge of Project M in the slightest), but I'm curious as to see what's most glaring.
The guy your playing against is technically semi capable but doesn't think at all. You just need to work on everything really. Fundamentals, what you want to be doing with Mario in the neutral, combo game, fireballs, and not going on autopilot.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Hm. So I look pretty bleh for my first attempt at it? After looking at far superior Mario's last night:

- Less f-smashing and u-smashing, more d-smash
- More jabbing and up-tilting
- More grabs, and smarter use of them I guess? At low %, go for the combo from d-grab, at higher, d-grab into fair
- Edgeguarding is something I need to get better at in ALL Smash games admittedly
- A lot of the fireballing I was doing is a product of both Brawl and N64, but I can see the benefits of wavelanding and jabbing/grabbing with them.

In due time though, I guess. In due time.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
More than a lot of those, you need better movement. You used rolling way too much. Try working on your dash dance, wave dash, and wave land game.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Hmm. Any way you could explain the broad uses of those techniques? Rolling I know is usually a worse option than those, but I hate to use better options and not know their ultimate purposes.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Hmm. Any way you could explain the broad uses of those techniques? Rolling I know is usually a worse option than those, but I hate to use better options and not know their ultimate purposes.
Rolling is best used when you are under some real pressure ie. nair shine from spacies or lucas. You can also use the roll from the edge, doing this makes the game think you are still holding onto the edge longer than you actually are.

Good uses and applications for DD~
-This lets you bait your opponent
-It keeps them guessing on what you're going to do
-It helps with spacing
-It lets you play more aggressive
-It makes it harder for people to come in on you

Good uses and applications for Wave Dashing~
-It lets you space
-It lets you bait
-It makes your play style faster pace
-It can make your offensive and defensive game stronger
-You can grab the edge faster doing this than jumping back and trying to grab the edge

Good uses and applications for Wave Landing~
-You can get off of the edge faster using this
-You can follow up ezER
-You can be more mobile
-The frames of landing lag is some what negated using this tech

That's just the tip of the ice burg; ahoy.

@ GeZ GeZ Let's make a mario chain grab thread.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Sure, I'll probably be a little slow on the testing but that's just cause I'm lazy. Chain grab thread is a good idea though.

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm Dolphin. I just started playing Mario yesterday, because Wombat bodied me as Squirtle, and then told me that Mario's dash beats Squirtle's sideb. I really think I need to use fireballs/pills to aid my approaches more. I need to find approach mixups, and not use fair as aggressively as I do. Also more OoS options are nice, because all I ever do is bair. CC would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3T1BY1kbHQ&feature=youtu.be

I'm playing the Fireflower Mario.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Hi, I'm Dolphin. I just started playing Mario yesterday, because Wombat bodied me as Squirtle, and then told me that Mario's dash beats Squirtle's sideb. I really think I need to use fireballs/pills to aid my approaches more. I need to find approach mixups, and not use fair as aggressively as I do. Also more OoS options are nice, because all I ever do is bair. CC would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3T1BY1kbHQ&feature=youtu.be

I'm playing the Fireflower Mario.
I think the one time I got on there.. I beat him. I don't think Mario's dash atk beats it, if does, well, I'm shocked to say the least. imo It's best to just jump over and try to catch him as well as getting those nair>dsmash and fireballs in.

You should only use fair in a few situations; aggressively, is not one of those situations.

Nair and bair are great OoS. Usmash is situational and it no longer has intangability on the head, so it's kinda meh. You also upB OoS if you feel like their putting on the pressure, it's a good thing to go for because people don't expect it and you get to go back to neutral.

EDIT: I'll check the vid in a bit.

Last edited:

tomyrf

Smash Rookie
1. Introduce yourself, how long you have played Project M, and why you play Mario.

My name is Tom. I’ve been playing Project M for maybe 3 months on and off. I love Mario as a character. Back when I was a kid, I always played Doctor Mario in Melee, and I really enjoyed it. Once I found out about Project M, I felt like I really wanted to pick the game and the character up. I started playing on Dolphin with an xbox controller. After a while, I decided that I would move to a gamecube controller, and play on an actual wii. The gameplay I’ve recorded is on dolphin with a gamecube controller.

2. Post a link to a video of your Mario in action.

Here’s a video where I played against a CPU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCDgOXCG-7k&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51hs1qh_-HE&feature=youtu.be

3. Mention what you think your game needs and how you believe you can go about changing it.

That’s probably my biggest problem. I don’t really know how to improve. I watch competitive smash all the time. My objective currently is not to play like a pro, because honestly, I feel like I could use help on figuring out small things. My wave dashing is pretty bad, and I’m not very good at putting it into my play.

This is probably going to sound incredibly stupid, but I don’t really know how else to say it. I don’t understand what teching is. I don’t understand how to tech, or what it means. I think I have some sort of idea that it’s putting your character’s abilities together, and using them in appropriate situations to “combo”.

Almost everything I’ve learned is self-taught. So I don’t really know the best way to do things. Sometimes I pick up on tricks that other people do from their gameplay.

As you can see I’m not really experienced. And any advice will be welcomed. I’m not terribly familiar with the terminology on the smash boards. I think I read something in this thread about “WDOOS” and I was confused out of my mind trying to figure out what that acronym meant. So please, if anyone could help with this, I’d also really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey

It's ok, teching can be kind of confusing. In reality, "teching" is as simple as hitting the L button up to half a second before you hit the ground when you're tumbling. In other words:
Bad guy hits you with a big move
You tumble through the air
Before you hit the ground, press L to tech in place (recover very quickly but go no where), or L and a direction to tech roll.

It will not work if you've been holding L, or pressed L slightly before that half second window. This usually happens if you were trying to L-cancel an aerial and got hit by surprise. You can practise it by knocking a CPU to the ground in training mode, then standing close enough to him to eat his get up attack and get knocked over yourself. Try and input the L just before you hit the ground.

WD OoS is actually two acrnoyms put together. WD means wave dash, OoS means "out of shield". So it means "wave dash out of shield". WDOoS is recommended for escaping laggy forms of shield pressure, i.e. if someone smash attacks your shield you can often WDOoS to close the distance towards them and return the favour with a jab. Alternatively you WDOoS away to break the pressure and reset to a neutralish situation. The reason WDOoS beats roll for dealing with laggy shield pressure at least, is that you can act quicker than when you roll.

In general, tips to improve.
#1 Short hop: Pressing the jump button very quickly to only jump a little bit. Absolutely essential to levelling up. It's by far and away the most important thing to establish early. Easy to practise, an hour a night for a couple of nights will ingrain it.
#2 Short-Hop Fast-Fall: Simple, fast-fall those short hop aerials. Same as previous, extend practise to include a fast-falled, short-hop aerial.
#3 L-cancel: The big daddy of technical skill required to be "good". L-cancel is performed by hitting L right before you hit the ground after short hopped, fast falled aerials. If you air dodge, the move was finished anyway and you don't need to L-cancel it (happens with some very fast aerials). If you don't flash white, you didn't get it. Practise first by doing them in free air. Then practise hitting a computer with them. The hit lag from connecting with a move changes the timing of the L input quite a bit. Just keep repeating it until you get a feel for how to do it in both cases. Eventually it will become instinctive.

After you've got those. You can worry about wave dashes and all the other business.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
If you find yourself having trouble improving your game, because you don't know what direction to take it or try to improve in, try giving the P:M Mario guide a shot. It's stickied at the top of the forums and pretty handy if I do say so myself.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Learn the fundementals, then learn the character. Find the knowledge, study it, practice it and then learn to use it. If you haven't done must of that, we can't help you, because lacking in those field creates major problems in all of the others.

tomyrf

Smash Rookie
@ OninO OninO , thank you for much for your advice. I will take it all into consideration.

@ GeZ GeZ
I love your guide and I've read it many times.

I am trying to apply the techniques you have mentioned in your guide. I will continue to do so. :)

@Ez: I will try to continue to practice and learn whatever I can and then come back after I have!

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
No problem. I realised when I re-read my post that I hadn't made it clear. L-cancelling is short for Lag cancelling, and you can use either the L or the R button.

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, my name is Cod3kill, I've been playing Project M from about the time 3.0 came out. I picked up Mario about a month ago because I used to main Ganon and I wanted a character who has better match-ups and is more competitively viable in my opinion.

Here's me playing against Awestin. Disregard the first match on Rainbow Cruise lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFy7nv3uRhs

I want to improve in any way possible.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Hey guys, my name is Cod3kill, I've been playing Project M from about the time 3.0 came out. I picked up Mario about a month ago because I used to main Ganon and I wanted a character who has better match-ups and is more competitively viable in my opinion.

Here's me playing against Awestin. Disregard the first match on Rainbow Cruise lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFy7nv3uRhs

I want to improve in any way possible.
If you haven't already, check the guide. It's a good place to start, as well as having some specific sections, and a lot on the cerebral aspects of playing smash.

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
If you haven't already, check the guide. It's a good place to start, as well as having some specific sections, and a lot on the cerebral aspects of playing smash.
Yeah, I've read the guide several times over. It's pretty good

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Is it seriously that easy to gimp him with a Nair? I would think that a poorly thrown out one can place us in a death situation if he still has his DJ...

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Ok so I got 7th/50 at a weekly yesterday with Mario/Roy (predominantly Mario) so I'm pretty happy about that :D. But also unsatisfied.

I got bodied by a Snake main (which is recorded) and a Lucas (which should be uploaded soon on youtube hopefully) I would like to get those matches critiqued so I can improve my game. I believe I have potential to place much higher but things are holding me back. I'm aware of a lot of things I need to work on but there are others that I probably have a blind eye to. Criticism is appreciated :)

http://www.twitch.tv/windycitysmash/b/535482917 3:39:51 There's 2 sets starting from this point. One vs Ness and the 2nd is vs the snake that bodied me, I could really use some criticism on that one xD. I used Mario the 2nd match and did even worse than I did with Roy.

One of you said that you've had problems viewing my matches before hopefully that isn't the case now. I also look forward to a future of not depending on live stream recordings to showcase my Mario xD

Also the amount of Johns I got for using Mario at this tournament is unbelievable.

Top Bottom