• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improve your gameplay! - Mario Peer Review

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
waiting on the upload of my match versus his main (ness) but here is a quick vid of me vs a sonic. theres others of my mario on this playlist OKLAHOMA PM has but i figured i would share this one. see if anybodies criticisms are the same as mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOGPN-HCI_w&list=PLaZhs7JqS4yNh9MiRnjPmg7Px9wkfSLCi&index=12
Not a Mario main but two things I think would've helped you a lot.

Both of those stages had walls running all the way down so you could've used "Wall Jump Out of Up + B." Also, Jump cancel your grabs. Make yourself less vulnerable.

I hope that helps! :)

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
waiting on the upload of my match versus his main (ness) but here is a quick vid of me vs a sonic. theres others of my mario on this playlist OKLAHOMA PM has but i figured i would share this one. see if anybodies criticisms are the same as mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOGPN-HCI_w&list=PLaZhs7JqS4yNh9MiRnjPmg7Px9wkfSLCi&index=12
You dash attack way too much in that video. Mario's DA can be a good pop-up from time to time, but it's really punishable by crouch canceling, so try not to rely on it as much.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Hi, guys! This is my Mario in action, and am looking into perfecting my game play with him.

Honestly, I make a lot of mistakes during matches because I'm a natural risk taker in the game since I'm trying to find that fine balance between risk and reward. Another problem of mine is that I roll a lot, which I try to phase out as my tech skill goes up. Lastly, I believe that I have spacing problems, but in all honesty, I still need to achieve proper control of my character, and with that, I really believe that I can get better!

I've been playing Project M since 1.0, and I feel that I haven't progressed as much as I should, because there are hardly anyone that plays in my area that I know about, except for one friend of mine, and my little brother. I also haven't been to any major tournaments since I'm always too busy with life.

So anyway, HanAmes and Juicebox are the same person, and I still have yet to make both names identical. So, looking forward for the honest feedback, and yes, I have a ways to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LefGhvpZc-g&feature=youtu.be

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Alright, I'll start with the thing I found most prominent.
- You're heavily reliant on F-Smash and you use it raw quite a bit. I'd honestly do that only if you have a good read or are in optimal space for it. It's a great KO option at high percents but you should be careful when you toss er out. You can set up at mid percents(50-70% IIRC) using DTilt into an Up-angled FSmash if you want a good way to reliably connect, assuming your enemy doesn't have enough DI to escape.
- Smooth, slick looking stuff with that backwards cape into ledgegrab strat, though. I like seeing fancy things like that.
- You really have a good grasp on ledgehogging. Frankly I wish I could do it that smoothly haha.
- You seem to short-hop into NAir as an approach frequently(primarily in the first match). I'd try and mix it up, maybe a Dair or even(only do this rarely) a cape after a short hop. Link threw boomerangs a lot and the cape would disrupt that, plus it has disjoint and can go through shields if he'd try and grab you OoS.
- Experiment with more stuff off of Mario's grab. DThrow to USmash is useful, but I'd advise messing around with UTilt or maybe UAir/NAir after, just to see what kind of results you can get. Mileage varies, though.
- Speaking of grabs, I'd recommend using one of my favorite nifty things with Mario. His jab safety. You used it to follow up with DSmash a few times(Jab into DSmash, two Jabs into DSmash), but you can do that with his throw as well, it serves as a good tool.
- I'd also recommend getting the hang of performing jump-canceled grabs. It's tough at first but it makes your grab come out faster, and it's safer as well. Plus you still retain momentum.
- At around 1:55, you seemed to just kinda give up on recovery. You might have been able to salvage it, Up-B Walljump + Cape + Mario Tornado(if you mash B, you gain vertical height.) Dunno completely but it may have been worth a try.
- Wavedashing OoS is something we should all try and learn + implement, but it's hard as hell here. I'd recommend it anyways, but the R and L buttons not being registered as individual button inputs makes it a lot harder here IMO, so I'd worry about that later.
- Link was definitely throwing boomerang a lot, so if you get into this MU again with the same person, try and take advantage of the cape a bit more. Given the speed the boomerang comes out it might be difficult at first, but good reads into Mario's Side-B can be quite useful.
- When it comes to killing, you should also remember Mario's Fair, more specifically the beginning frames. It has the vertical knockback of Doc's so it's great after a DThrow if you can land it properly. Of course, it's not the most reliable finisher but it'd add to your list of options and help you kill easier.
- Since you're a natural risk taker, take a step further. Go for more offstage edgeguards if you feel like you know how Link is going to recover. Gutsy things like a chase into an FAir offstage, big risks. But the reward is well worth that one stock if you can pull it off.

My Mario isn't the greatest either, frankly I'm below average, so take this with a grain of salt, but I hope this advice can help anyways. Good luck!

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Yeah, I really use my FSmash a lot because to me, it covers a lot of ground, and it’s pretty fast to unleash. I also seem to throw in DSmashes as well. I’ll be more than happy to break that habit, seeing that it also gets me into trouble at times.

The backwards cape into ledge grab is a technique that I derived from melee to quickly grab the ledge out of a dash. Seeing that this is Project M, I can just spin around and jump backwards to ledge grab; courtesy of the brawl physics.

I used to practice ledge games alone in my room.

Still trying to get the shuffling down to a level of greased lightning (or like Fox), but I DO suppose that it’s wise to mix up my approaches. The Dair you mentioned works surprisingly well, especially after throwing a fireball at the opponent. But what slips my mind the most is using mind games as an approach option, because I’m always too busy being on the offense.

Grab games are always fun to work with, but there are just so many matchups to deal with, not to mention, the amount of different players. Just these different variables make grab games so limitless…I like it! I’ll keep experimenting with throws as much as I can to learn something new every day!

Ah, I’ve heard of Jab Safety before. I’ve encountered a Fox player who uses it all the time and nails me with combos. I’ll definitely try it out as Mario.

I agree…jump cancel grabs are the way to go! I’ll implement ‘em in my game at once!

Yeah, it’s kinda embarrassing for me…I probably COULD HAVE saved myself, but sometimes, I find out the hard way that I don’t have a second jump. What also gets me is that sometimes, an attack animation makes me miss the ledge.

Wavedashing OoS is a necessity for me to properly space and punish my opponent. And I agree, it’s harder here in Project M, but I’m willing to work through the difficulty and speed up my game. That’s how I can improve.

Now that you mentioned it, he DOES throw out a lotta boomerangs. I’m too busy on the offense to recognize this, so thanks! I’ll take the cape into consideration.

For some reason, it’s hard for me to combo into the Fair, but it just takes more practice on my part.

For me, I’m also afraid of the margin of error when it comes to off stage edge guarding. As they say, ‘face your fears’ so I’ll continue on what I do off the stage, and naturally progress from there.

Anyway, TTTTTsd, thanks for the feedback, it’s very well appreciated. There’s one thing I forgot to mention, though…I really wanna implement short hopped Uairs into my game, but it’s pretty difficult in the Project M engine, so what I have to do is lightly press the D stick up after a short hop and attack. It’s pretty difficult to train my thumb to do that on a consistent basis. In melee, it was pretty easy, but now in P:M, it’s just another thing I have to learn. So thanks again! And I’m still open to more suggestions as well!

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
You dash attack way too much in that video. Mario's DA can be a good pop-up from time to time, but it's really punishable by crouch canceling, so try not to rely on it as much.
i agree with this. i had just started picking up Mario as a second to my Zelda, and i noticed this as well. glad its so obvious to others too haha. ive been working on approaching more with pills and getting grabs/jabs in.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I can agree with Mario having loads of even matchups. The main characters who stick out in terms of giving Mario a really harsh time are Marth, Fox, Falco, Puff. Mario is just a well rounded character who can deal with a lot of situations. However even though he's a balanced character, he doesn't really excel at anything.
He's just "kinda good" at most things.
Puff and Marth are in Mario's favor as of now I believe. The faster fireballs and down tilt were a huge buff in 2.6. I think Mario is in a good place right now.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Can you guys review a couple of video's of mine? It is against CPU's but I want to see hear my approach, combo game, and edge guard game get criticized

Manzana

Smash Rookie
HanAmes, I too am in basically the same boat. I'm trying to improve my Mario but there's not really anyone around except for a few casual friends who I don't often see, at least while I'm away from college. Here are my humble opinions/suggestions after viewing your matches:

- Great edgeguarding with Bairs. Definitely one of Mario's best option to keep opponents off stage.
- Good use of spot dodges. Mario's is relatively quick and safe so reading a move/grab and spot-dodging often let's you land a grab or smash attack.
- You need to start wavedashing OOS more as it really opens up your options and allows you to both escape pressure better and retaliate.
- I didn't see much Dash-dancing/wavedashing in the neutral game. Link can be pressured and baited by dashing just outside of his sword/grab range. A whiffed grab or tilt can often open him up for a fireball->grab, Nair/U-air, or even a dash attack.
- Work on maximizing your recoveries. First of all you need to utilize your down-B more. It's hard to mash B fast enough to get a significant boost but there were at least 3 stocks that you could've survived had you at least attempted to use this move. Also, utilize wall-jumps after up-B'ing. There weren't too many spots where this would've helped you much in these particular matches but it's an essential tool for avoiding being ledge-hogged so I figured I would mention it.
- Utilize mario's F and D tilts more. They're some of his fastest and longest reaching moves, and they are probably some of his best set-ups. D-tilt to Fair is definitely one of the easiest and most guaranteed set-ups that Mario has, yet I don't thing I saw you even go for it once, granted it's harder to nab Link with D-tilt being that he can usually out-range Mario if your approaches are too predictable.
- Mix up your throws. 90% of your grabs resulted in D-throw U-smash. While this is a pretty good string, moves such as U-tilt, U-air, and even Nair are also great follow-ups that can lead to different moves depending on the opponent's character/damage/DI. U-throw is also a good throw at lower percents.
- Try to utilize more U-airs for both juggling and approaches. I recommend watching Shroomed matches. He basically makes Mario look like a mini captain falcon only he can chain 4+ U-airs.
- Mix up your ledge get-ups by using a mixture of ledge-hop fireballs, wavelanding onstage, ledge-stalling, roll, ledge attack (only decent at < 100%), and even regular ledge get-up.

A lot of this stuff comes from my own faults and what I need to work on so like TTTTTsd said, take this with a grain of salt. I'm by no means what anyone would call great or even good with Mario, but I figured I would give you my 2 cents worth.

Now, I was also wondering if any of you guys could critique some of my matches. They're pretty low-level casual play between my friend and I but it's the best I can do for now, so any input//advice/criticisms would be greatly appreciated!

Match 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIwckfppEE
Match 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LJSdmvIivM
Match 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJQvpuxwF2c

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Mr. Random, your edgeguarding is well developed, and even used many different moves besides Bair. Even though I'm guilty of the same thing, you should try the cape at certain spots, but of course, the cape is useful in different match ups.

In Melee, it was easy to shuffle the short hop Uair, but in Project M, it's pretty difficult for me, but you seem to pull it off like nothing. I've been trying for months to achieve that move, but to no avail.

You're also a pretty good survivor. You recovered from the bottom of the stage, and wall jumping off the side of FD is no walk in the park for me. Every time I try it, I always botch it, but I guess that just means more practice for me.

Anyhow, great showcase!

@ Manzana Manzana

Thanks for the tips, man! To me, though, dash dancing and wave dashing as an approach requires great control of my character, and there are many times where I lose control and make many mistakes, but of course, that all comes with practice on my part! I just wanna learn how to maximize Mario's dash dancing and get it down frame by frame. So thanks for pointing that out! Also, I shouldn't just give up on the ledges, either...

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Mr. Random, your edgeguarding is well developed, and even used many different moves besides Bair. Even though I'm guilty of the same thing, you should try the cape at certain spots, but of course, the cape is useful in different match ups.

In Melee, it was easy to shuffle the short hop Uair, but in Project M, it's pretty difficult for me, but you seem to pull it off like nothing. I've been trying for months to achieve that move, but to no avail.

You're also a pretty good survivor. You recovered from the bottom of the stage, and wall jumping off the side of FD is no walk in the park for me. Every time I try it, I always botch it, but I guess that just means more practice for me.

Anyhow, great showcase!

@ Manzana Manzana

Thanks for the tips, man! To me, though, dash dancing and wave dashing as an approach requires great control of my character, and there are many times where I lose control and make many mistakes, but of course, that all comes with practice on my part! I just wanna learn how to maximize Mario's dash dancing and get it down frame by frame. So thanks for pointing that out! Also, I shouldn't just give up on the ledges, either...
Thank you. I do have an issue with tunnel visioning on combos sometimes but I'm working on it. Also doesn't Snake get his up b back after a cape?

VishapSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-6725-0047
Hey all - name's Henry, go by the tag "Vishap." I've been playing and practicing Project M with old high school buddies for around 7 months, and recently started gaining tourney experience here in SoCal.

Playing with friends and in tourney has revealed a lot of what i need to work on - off-stage edgeguards, follow-ups, and just varying my game, among those I've noticed. Watching professionals and just practicing has taught me a lot as well, but I'm positive I'll go far with what you guys can offer, and appreciate it greatly. B]

That all being said, here are my most recent matches:

Overflow: Match 1 (Loss)
Holiday Smash: Match 1 (Win) , Match 2 (Win) , Match 3 (Loss)

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Thank you. I do have an issue with tunnel visioning on combos sometimes but I'm working on it. Also doesn't Snake get his up b back after a cape?
Snake does get his upb back after Mario capes him

GeZ

Smash Lord
Manzana and Vishap, I was going to address your games individually, but you suffer from a lot of similar problems so I'll just do them together. You both need to think of why you're throwing fireballs. They're not a good projectile on their own, and need to be followed up. In Manzana's case, you threw them out and then just sat there. You very seldom ran after them, tried to follow them up, or do anything that the fireballs help you accomplish. On the flip side of this, Vishap, you used the fireballs in a very unsafe way. While your opponents didn't punish them, that's on their incompetence rather than your ability, as better players can and will sucker punch you for predictably Short Hopping fireballs in their face. I'd go into greater depth, but I'm so tired of reiterating myself that I'm just going to copy over then novels I've written on the subject from earlier in the forum.

Fireballs. What's the deal? I read your post about you getting to throw them in all opportunities against this opponent because mindgames but it was a poor usage of them in a lot of instances, let alone a poor usage of an opportunity to better understand your opponent. You tossed them out without really looking for your opponents reactions to them, or following them to capitalize. When they did result in an opening, it seemed like it was by happenstance of their approach versus your default strategy, which is to say, you sat there plipping fireballs while your opponent approached, he would accidentally bump in to one, apologize politely to the orb of flame, and then be promptly punched in the face by a surly plummer. It's not necessarily an awful strategy. It put you on top of most of your exchanges, BUT it was predictable, and not optimized. Fireballs are an AMAZING tool. But your use of them seemed so crass. They're a nice way to open your opponent up, needle them, make them swear revenge upon their slightly charred faces. But you just put them out there without gauging the opponents reaction, without following them like your nubile children (so full of potential), without an idea of when it would be considered a bad time to do it (point blank range, with an anvil that reads "10 TONS" plummeting towards Mario's unprotected dome). Use them for what they're useful for. They'll yield MUCH better results.

Playstyle. A lot of things fall into this "category" so it gives me a nice way to tie parts of your game together, and summarize what I think needs work. My main gripe really falls into your playstyle, in that I feel that you play Mario like a pseudo Falcon. From watching your games you seem to weave in and out of your opponents space while pressing against them with powerful moves or combo starters, and making them not know what to expect with fireballs and cape. This isn't what Mario does. Mario is a wall, or fortress, if you will. His intention (gameplan) is to work his way into his opponents space and exist. It seems strange but it's a very basic way of outlining what he wants to do. He can't pressure as well as other characters, or zone, or mixup/ psychout, or anything really. But he fills a position that goes overlooked in most games, and really shines in Project: M, which is the Jack of All Trades. He does a lot of things pretty well, which lets him fill a roll that most characters can't fill by being very reactive, and punishing opponents for all their faults. He wants to push at them, working his way into their space, their livelihood, and then set up camp. So playing optimally, you're weaving in and out of your opponents comfortable space, taking full advantage of all of their mistakes and attempts, while also being present enough to create discomfort that CAUSES mistakes. Be close to them, as much as possible.

Edgeguarding. Is really the last thing I feel I need to mention, and (thankfully) there's not much to mention here. I just felt you were using cape too much, in situations where it did you no good. Mario has much better options for this in most situations, once you account for the capes lag and predictability when spammed. While his offstage game isn't godlike, he still has a pretty good spike (Fair), an amazing swat that sends the opponent away at a wonderful gimping angle (Bair), and the ability to grab the ledge (to gimp). I know that these seem a bit obvious but from watching your matches I didn't see these tools employed in any great quantity, which was alarming to say the least considering they make up a good deal of Mario's kill potential, which is to swat away from the ledge and edgehog thusly.

I hope you consider employing the techniques I've outlined here, as I have faith in their ability to facilitate better play from you. As a last note, I would recommend you turn your attention to Nausicaa's post listed below, as it outlines some of the faults in your reasoning in your above post.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Manzana and Vishap, I was going to address your games individually, but you suffer from a lot of similar problems so I'll just do them together. You both need to think of why you're throwing fireballs. They're not a good projectile on their own, and need to be followed up. In Manzana's case, you threw them out and then just sat there. You very seldom ran after them, tried to follow them up, or do anything that the fireballs help you accomplish. On the flip side of this, Vishap, you used the fireballs in a very unsafe way. While your opponents didn't punish them, that's on their incompetence rather than your ability, as better players can and will sucker punch you for predictably Short Hopping fireballs in their face. I'd go into greater depth, but I'm so tired of reiterating myself that I'm just going to copy over then novels I've written on the subject from earlier in the forum.
I was about to say the same thing you were I got ninja'd. Although sometimes I like to watch what my opponent does when I throw out a fireball since after you follow up on a fireball it starts to get predictable. I think approaching with shield, spaced Bairs and Dtilts are good mix ups. Mario has a ton of options. Maybe I might approach with the occasional cape or down b or cross up dash attack to throw them off but they are riskier. I also feel approaching with Nair and sometimes Dair is unsafe because it's way too predictable and easily shield grabbed.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I would honestly just make your approach varied and the worry of Nair or Dair getting shield-grabbed would be reduced because that would rely solely on your opponent's prediction. Breaking patterns in any game is really hard to do but if you can do so, it's one of the best things to do with Mario. Basically, remove any obvious patterns in your approach and most of the aforementioned should work well. This applies to traditional fighters, which I am better at than Smash, admittedly, but I feel like it carries over.

GeZ

Smash Lord
You gotta think of approach as a very broad term, because approaching with fireball can range from following it with an aerial, to running behind it, then shielding or WDing backwards, to following it and grabbing. Though I'd recommend cutting down on aerial/ Dash attack/ any not well spaced normal when following fireball as those are all too easily grabbable.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
You gotta think of approach as a very broad term, because approaching with fireball can range from following it with an aerial, to running behind it, then shielding or WDing backwards, to following it and grabbing. Though I'd recommend cutting down on aerial/ Dash attack/ any not well spaced normal when following fireball as those are all too easily grabbable.
Plus Mario has to watch out for aerials going through fireballs. If they predict you'll fireball then they'll aerial through. I feel Mario's biggest downfall is his range and his pathetically short grab :(.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Hey there! I'm going to my first tournament pretty soon and would like my Mario critiqued, I don't want to end up getting destroyed in PM after all. I only have the means to record myself playing against CPU at the moment, since I don't have any recording hardware for my Wii, I run it on Dolphin. Thanks :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NeVxbCpncE&feature=youtu.be
Falco`s AI in 3.0 is pretty bad so I don't think he is the best practice dummy

GeZ

Smash Lord
Someone needs to write a guide for this character. There's too many players flailing about not knowing what they're supposed to be doing or trying to do, and then coming here and asking for critique. It's hard to critique because it's all wrong, and to comment on what to improve would be to explain the whole character, hence, guide. If nobody else wants to, I'll do it grudgingly.

VishapSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-6725-0047
GeZ, thanks for the wisdom. I gotta say it was really poetic, and reminded me to always have my fundamentals in mind - especially that of watching and learning the opponent's reactions. That, along with your opinion on how a Mario is most effective, has improved my performance considerably. So thanks, brah.
That being said, however, I don't feel Project M was designed so that every character has a "correct" way of playing, and all else is "wrong." Rather, one of the beauties of M (and of Super Smash Bros. in general) is the creativity one has in their performance. It's not stipulated that you perform a specific and exact combination of moves to be successful with a character; with good knowledge of the properties of a characters' moveset, people can engineer completely different, but often equally effective, playstyles. If every character had a single "correct" way to play, Smash in general would be really dull to watch, haha.

The_Irish_Dude, I suggest you consult GeZ's critique of me and Manzana, along with his exposition on proper fireball usage, to improve your approaches. When you successfully approach, however, I highly suggest you set up your combo with high-priority moves (most notably for Mario, his dair and bair). Implementing those moves effectively in your opponent's immediate space would then allow for you to continue with any safe move (that is, one that would be difficult to be grabbed out of). In doing this, knowledge of frame advantage is key, and you should set up your combos accordingly.
I also noticed that you tend to roll your way out of an unsafe situation. At the low to mid levels, this might work to a small degree, but when in the high levels, it'll only lead to quick reads and appropriate punishments on the part of your opponent. Instead, wavedash-back and space intelligently, watching for where you might slug your enemy with a nice fsmash to the face.
Know when to go on the defense. In your gameplay, your opponent often got continuous hits on you because, as you attempted to land hits on them, their priority overrode yours. In such a case, use that shield, and wait for an opportune time to go on the offense again - ranging from dishing out jabs and other high-priority, safe moves, or grabbing out-of-shield and setting up a combo that way.
As overarching advice, your tech is pretty good in terms of wavedashes/lands, but I find it effective to keep this mantra in mind: L-CANCEL EVERYTHING. Work on your fast falls into l-cancels - speed and technique are imperative in high-level play. I myself have found playing Falco to be a really intuitive way of working on tech skill in such a way, and it carries over to Mario nicely.
That's pretty much what I have to say coming from my experience thus far - I don't consider myself that good of a Mario main at all yet, so take all this with the figurative grain of salt. I hope what I had to say helps in the end though. Keep at it, dude. B)

GeZ

Smash Lord
I think characters have most effective strategies, or fortes, if you will. While Mario's is much more fluid than most other characters he still has a strong core that he should fall back to, as most characters do. Glad I could help.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
its good to see what other people see other than just myself. i agree with everything youve said. wavedash ->Fsmash is something i do quite a bit for spacing. im hoping for more recorded sets soon. this was the actual day of when i picked mario up lol. new to the game or not if you notice something than its worth looking at.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIMRYwQbrKY&feature=youtu.be

here is a couple games i played with my buddy today. What can I improve on?
I just want to drop in and say you have one of the best usernames I have ever come across. I smiled so wide when I saw your name.
Edit: I did notice you were not l-canceling very often. I would make sure to get your l-cancel to nearly 100% before you start experimenting with wavedashing and wavelanding. L-canceling will make all the difference when trying to apply pressure, so make sure you keep on practicing!

Mario Speedwagon

Smash Rookie
I just want to drop in and say you have one of the best usernames I have ever come across. I smiled so wide when I saw your name.
Edit: I did notice you were not l-canceling very often. I would make sure to get your l-cancel to nearly 100% before you start experimenting with wavedashing and wavelanding. L-canceling will make all the difference when trying to apply pressure, so make sure you keep on practicing!
Thanks for the compliment, i'm currently working on SHFFLing to get my Uairs and Bairs out quicker

Sye024

Smash Rookie
NNID
conpenny
Hi, everyone. I just picked up Mario as a possible main and am curious as to how I could improve on my gameplay. I know I'm nowhere near great and use D-Smash a lot, but hey; if it works, it works. :psycho: Regardless, here are 3 okay (albeit mistake-ridden) matches.

http://youtu.be/9lyCv87bezg (Mario vs. Snake)
http://youtu.be/4bokNtJ3pV8 (Mario vs. Roy)
http://youtu.be/NmASg3nxgr4 (Mario vs. Dedede)

Feel free to be as jerk-ish as you want. :p Constructive criticism comes in all forms!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I went mostly Peach at this tourney, but I decided to whip out Mario against a MK player in my region called Run DMX since I know he struggles against Mario, unfortunately I SD'd and killed all my momentum in game 3 which strangely enough was the only game of the set that was on stream.
http://www.twitch.tv/legendoflux/b/494554445
My Mario match is at 1:56:25.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'd like to point prospective Mario mains looking to improve, or help others improve, to the recently posted, and under construction, Mario Guide. If you have anything that you think would be useful info, just feel free to kick it in and I'll extrapolate upon it and credit you.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I bad
Cure this problem
I know in this video my Di was bad on those Fsmashs but aside from that, what should I do? And yea, don't get grabbed is one of those things
Also, I stay in the air to much as well as I don't go for grabs enough

Here's me against his snake
I don't really know the MU so I learned it as I went
Next time I'll just do what I did after these recorded matches, just get him off stage and bair him till he doesn't come back
Any tips an stuff would be helpful

Narsic

Smash Rookie
I'll try my hand at helping with the Snake matches, because I think that's the only match up I have played enough to know what I'm talking about:
  • I mean first off in general when you get grounded by his down throw you always roll away from him first, the second time you mix it up, but you just get tech chased to death literally, on multiple stocks.
  • You are very fluid with your Mario, just saying
  • You do a great job with the b-airs, that is really good against snake off stage because free damage, it won't always guarantee a stock because his recovery is annoying, but it leaves him really vulnerable
  • Another thing you do, that I tend to do as well that's a bad habit, is that when he gets to kill percents you kind of just throw out a lot of fsmashes, if you do that he will always keep jumping away above you or spacing just far enough to tranquilize you
  • Try and get him to approach more and punish his mistakes, your fireballs can stop his grenades from traveling and even make them explode if he's holding one, just throw them out there to limit his approach options and when he comes at you just predict what he's going to do and punish him
  • When you have pressure on him don't let up, sometimes you would get him in a combo and then get scared he would hit you out of it, so then instead of going for another hit you just shield and stand there. I know sometimes you don't want to risk going for the next hit but Snake doesn't really have any moves to get him out of a combo besides his up-b, which is more of a get out of jail free card than it is a hard punish
  • Leading off that, learn the percent when down throw to f-air works against him, I know you don't really know the match up so in that match you couldn't really learn when to do it, but you should've stopped after a while. When you would miss the f-air on him you would end up in a really bad position. Try using forward throw and following up with a fireball, then run at him. At most percents you can reach him in time with the fireball covering you and you get a free mix up on him, sometimes setting up for a new potential combo is better than just get another free hit in an old combo
I think that all made sense, I know I'm just some random player but I hope this helped in some way

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Oh and here is a game after the MM with that snake

I'll try my hand at helping with the Snake matches, because I think that's the only match up I have played enough to know what I'm talking about:
  • I mean first off in general when you get grounded by his down throw you always roll away from him first, the second time you mix it up, but you just get tech chased to death literally, on multiple stocks.

• You are very fluid with your Mario, just saying
  • You do a great job with the b-airs, that is really good against snake off stage because free damage, it won't always guarantee a stock because his recovery is annoying, but it leaves him really vulnerable
  • Another thing you do, that I tend to do as well that's a bad habit, is that when he gets to kill percents you kind of just throw out a lot of fsmashes, if you do that he will always keep jumping away above you or spacing just far enough to tranquilize you
  • Try and get him to approach more and punish his mistakes, your fireballs can stop his grenades from traveling and even make them explode if he's holding one, just throw them out there to limit his approach options and when he comes at you just predict what he's going to do and punish him
  • When you have pressure on him don't let up, sometimes you would get him in a combo and then get scared he would hit you out of it, so then instead of going for another hit you just shield and stand there. I know sometimes you don't want to risk going for the next hit but Snake doesn't really have any moves to get him out of a combo besides his up-b, which is more of a get out of jail free card than it is a hard punish

• Leading off that, learn the percent when down throw to f-air works against him, I know you don't really know the match up so in that match you couldn't really learn when to do it, but you should've stopped after a while. When you would miss the f-air on him you would end up in a really bad position. Try using forward throw and following up with a fireball, then run at him. At most percents you can reach him in time with the fireball covering you and you get a free mix up on him, sometimes setting up for a new potential combo is better than just get another free hit in an old combo
I think that all made sense, I know I'm just some random player but I hope this helped in some way
Thx for the tips
I'll try that fthrow mix up for sure
Is that something I should bust out at low % only?

Last edited:

Narsic

Smash Rookie
Do that set up if you know you don't think you can convert into a big combo at that percent or if you don't think you can get a kill off of it. Fthrow set up can lead into an fsmash if they eat the fireball and if not you can get another grab or do whatever you want , as long as it's safe

Top Bottom