• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***IMPORTANT DISCOVERY*** Spammed attacks greatly diminish in knockback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
It really depends. It could be restrictive for characters who use KO moves to combo as well, making it annoying to save Falco's spiking Dair maybe? It can't be too harmful to characters whos kill moves aren't viable for comboing anyways though. For instance, I don't think you'll have to worry about using up too many DeDeDe Fsmashes.

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
This will change the way we change Smash Bros, but not necessarily for the better. We are basically forced to use weaker attacks repeatedly to rack up damage so that our strong attacks are still useful for KO. That restriction may prove less than enjoyable.
But it's not like every character has just 2 or 3 strong moves in their whole moveset, take for example Mario, we could spam his Bair, Fair, Uair, Usmash, fire balls.. etc and at certain point of the match, use his Dsmash to KO (Or whatever you want to, it's just an example)

I mean, I even remember a Snake killing with his dash, the way I see it every characters could have a lot of KO moves by this way

The way I see it it adds more depth to the game, more strategy and acknowledge of your character to win, and of course removes things like winning a match for just Knee spaming..

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who doesn't like this? Sometimes my opponents recover in a way that forces me to use the same move twice. Does this mean that the second time I do the move, they'll survive again? That doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

Burning Soul

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who doesn't like this? Sometimes my opponents recover in a way that forces me to use the same move twice. Does this mean that the second time I do the move, they'll survive again? That doesn't sound like a good thing to me.
It's a possibility, but either way youre accumulating more damage, and brawl seems like the kind of game were racking up damage is critical, and that 8% kills are unrealistic. Try to keep in mind that this isnt some random thing they threw in there, i think its a slow yet important process, thus it will be balanced.. If someone is aware of it and spams his bair in order to make it comboable, this would be an example of something good. It may do less damage but it ends up as more damage later.

12% + 10% +8% + 7% is better than 12%+12% (random numbers)

See what i mean?

Tyros

Smash Cadet
Awesome discovery... I'm psyched to see what kind of potential this will develop into.

Red Mage: Why not use another move to send them out again? One that is still full-powered from disuse?

- Tyros

BluR930

Smash Rookie
This is really not an advanced technique as it's in the game purposefully. Really, it's an "Advanced Strategy."

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
This is definitely a good discovery. Keep it up with discovering the nuances of the game engine ryoko. Knowing how the game works first is definitely more important then trying to discover "advanced" techniques that may or may not even be useful in a couple of years.

•Col•

Smash Champion
This is really not an advanced technique as it's in the game purposefully. Really, it's an "Advanced Strategy."
S/He never said it was an advanced technique... And also, a bunch of Advance techniques were put into Melee purposefully.

Edit: Also Ryoko; nice discovery. I probably would've never spotted that myself...

Dark Aether

Smash Cadet
This is awesome, spamming can finally be prevented and people will be discouraged from bombing others with the same B moves over and over.

BIG C

Smash Master
yea i dun feel like readin all these posts so like im jsut gonna post this question.

the real question is, if u just spam fair with sheik and hit all day, then switch to zelda will zelda's knockback be destroyed as well?

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Effin' great post. I tip my hat to you Ryoko.

Edit: This was probably already asked and what not, and forgive me if so, but how does this affect grabbing?

Jumpfreak

Smash Lord
I acknowledge Yuna saying that this discovery is 'limiting'....but if this turns out to be viable and the "regeneration times" are figured out...this feature alone could REALLY seperate the pros from n00bs and that, imo, is a great great thing.

I've read that falling speed is much the same for everyone, but character weight is still very much in.

Think about this...

To get even a partial mastery of the game you'd have to be familiar with what moves will affect what character after repeated uses. Considering how many moves there are, and their potential "linkabilitly" depending on who you are fighting and how many times you've used a certain move - this could be very vast indeed.

Combo-ing thus far has seemed very limited, but maaaayybe this will change.

*sigh*

I need this game to experiment....a lot. :laugh:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
And this is why I love Ryoko. Always bringing a much needed slap in the face to the SWF masses. ;)

Really, great find. The implications for this are just huge. It makes me want to laugh at all those who cried for "Melee 2.0." Not anymore, friends. I, for one, am EXTREMELY excited with this news.

FaytX

Smash Rookie
that makes me wonder..does this effect go away for characters like zelda/sheik? If someone went from Zelda, kept doing the kick, changed into sheik, then back to zelda, would the effect reset?

fums63

Smash Apprentice
alot of this new stuff is gonna let me actually win some battles online. nice discovery

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Finally some REAL research that can be done about this game. You sir, are the man for finding this.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
also how can we measure each characters ground traction, and how many different distinct kinds of terrain are there?

for example

the ice climbers final smash brings the giant ice mountain. Now I am assuming they can walk fairly easy on it while everyone else slips and slides right? This move then would be ineffective against another ice climbers player.

Furthermore on their stage that is covered in ice, would this give ice climber mainers an inherent advantage over other players on that specific level? we really need to map out character traction, unfortunately I do not yet have a copy of the game (not until US launch)

any thoughts?
From what I've seen, it's not a mountain you can walk on at all. It's more like having the middle section of Peach's Castle from Melee pop up, except with steep sides and about 4 times bigger; you have to jump over it if you're the IC's who summoned it.

Also, I would certainly hope that Sakurai wouldn't do something as stupid as make all IC's immune to the Iceberg final smash; only the ones who summon it should be that way. Otherwise, counterpicking IC on IC in a match with the smash ball on would render it immediately ineffective.

This theory is very sound, but still so far seems to be just a theory. It's troublesome to see how restless and agitated people get trying to figure out every nuance of a game that's only been released for less than a week, and only then in a single region. While all of this is definitely worth looking into, please, let's remember that we probably won't find out every secret in the game within this YEAR, let alone before the game hits our shores.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Should make matches less predictable by making more moves viable, at least in theory... I like this change.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
If you think about it, this could make for some great setups. If you ready combo moves for two stocks, the last stock could be taken with a 0% to death combo maybe. I like the idea, it adds that shift of momentum that makes Melee matches so great and expands on it.

Or it could just be a way to punish you for spamming attacks, and has no real use for combos. Needs some proper testing.

By the way, you think this would be in the Japanese manual? We should really get our hands on that thing...

EatChildren

Smash Cadet
Its funny. From the first time people got their hands on the game we've known Brawl played differently to Melee. Game gets released, everybody has a hissy fit its not Melee 2.0, and cry over the "apparent" lack of depth.

Then this comes along and shoves a cork in their mouths.

If true, this simply proves that not only is Brawl under new mechanics, but these mechanics can be just as deep if not deeper than Melee.

Bloody fantastic post, and easily the most important Brawl topic.

Help!

Smash Journeyman
So... should we call this principle Ryoko's Law of Knockback Dispersion?

Awesome post btw, thanks! I can't wait to see what other smart people come up with.
Lol yes we should I really dont see the problem with naming discoveries after the people who discovered it.

cc6150

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the game that is Brawl, fellow smashers.

I cant wait to actually see this being tested, and see how much this will actually affect the game. This just makes it a bit more sad that IGN Matt gets away with spamming Pikachu's down b. Here's something else to think about, Wario's Wario Waft (Down B i think). From that update long ago we learned that the move charges over time, so you must conserve it to get the full affect. Maybe instead of the attack constantly getting weaker and weaker until you ged KO'd, maybe it will recover its power over time. So it could very well be like the Wario Waft on a smaller scale. I really dont know, I guess time and testing will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom