• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***IMPORTANT DISCOVERY*** Spammed attacks greatly diminish in knockback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
This brings up another question in my head.
If someone has one combo that they use over and over, and the combo gets nerfed over the course of the match, couldn't that in theory increase the effectiveness of the combo?

Think about it. If knockback is decreased from the moves, this would allow for a tighter game and quite possibly a stupidly long juggle or shffl combo.

Luigi_Factor

Florida_OWNaGe
Nothing new.

this was present in Melee. using the same attack over and over, reduced the damage it dealt and a minor amount of the KO power as well.

Example, use peach vs fox a non moving fox... walk up to him and downsmash, repeat times 5. notice its not the same amount of damage as it was the first time, or the 2nd.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Nothing new but it looks like it has a much greater effect in Brawl.

I love this aspect of the game! Makes for great variation.

Tell me, this doesn't affect B button moves, right?

And does it reset when you die?

Frames

DI
Good stuff, Ryoko.

This is definetely going to affect how we do things in brawl. Combos will now require strategy instead of simple spam tactics.

kingz

Smash Rookie
Nothing new.

this was present in Melee. using the same attack over and over, reduced the damage it dealt and a minor amount of the KO power as well.

Example, use peach vs fox a non moving fox... walk up to him and downsmash, repeat times 5. notice its not the same amount of damage as it was the first time, or the 2nd.
It supposedly effects knockback aswell now..

It's not hard to understand...

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
Hey Ryoko, how's it been guy?

Good find on the discovery!

Let's just not feel the need to name it after you though, we can come up with a universal term that would suit it better.

:3

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
READ THE FULL POST!!!
You look DUMB, when you post **** like "This same exact thing was in melee", when in the FIRST FECKING POST it says "It has a greater effect, and different ramifications." If you still want to argue at that point, that's fine. But posting without reading is IDIOTIC.

Sorry. This happens in EVERY thread when someone posts something, where the OP gets ignored by the general populas(sp?) about 3 pages in.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It's official: Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Melty Blood...all of them won't have anywhere near the depth that a competitive game of SSBB does.

Think about how far a SSBB player can take their game: mid-game, a player can be tweaking their moveset. Since there are advantages to both spamming a move and not using it at all now, you can literally be customizing your character on the fly in terms of move potency.

No other fighting game has this depth. You typically just memorize moves and use them at the appropriate time. In SSBB, you'll have to keep mental tabs on which of your moves you've used and landed and where their appropriate knockback ability should now be.

This is, of course, if this new system is all that it's cracked up to be. We could still be mistaken in terms of its relevance, but it sounds to me like this is officially the deepest fighting game ever, unless there's another fighting game that factors fatigue into movesets on the fly.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I hate posts where somebody feel cursing and screaming and huge text is going to actually make things better. It just makes people look pathetically immature and spastically hot-tempered. Seriously.

And thank you kingz for responding in a much more level headed fashion.

And no I don't care that everybody and there mothers tend to say silly things. Reacting in a silly way is no better.

Anyhoo, had I felt I had any say in the matter, I probably would have commented on the idea that having weaker knockback would greatly increase the requirement for attack variety. But eh, I didn't say it, so too bad for me. =/

MechanisMs

Smash Rookie
Very interesting find, and great for me as a luigi mainer since Luigi's aerial repetoire is diverse and shiftable on the fly...

i'm thinking, chop, nair, chop, nair, bair, bair, chop *hopefully for a KO* :]

&but very bad for oldschool melee samus style play (which i really hated playing against)*

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I hate posts where somebody feel cursing and screaming and huge text is going to actually make things better. It just makes people look pathetically immature and spastically hot-tempered. Seriously.

And thank you kingz for responding in a much more level headed fashion.

And no I don't care that everybody and there mothers tend to say silly things. Reacting in a silly way is no better.

Anyhoo, had I felt I had any say in the matter, I probably would have commented on the idea that having weaker knockback would greatly increase the requirement for attack variety. But eh, I didn't say it, so too bad for me. =/
I'm posting in big letters to get attention. As for the cursing, It's kind of my natural tone.

And I'm not angry. I'm trying to tell them to READ THE POST. BECAUSE IT WOULD BE MUCH SMARTER FOR THEM TO DO SO THAN JUST BABBLING ON LIKE IDIOTS WITHOUT A HINT OF WHAT'S GOING ON!

That's why.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
It's official: Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Melty Blood...all of them won't have anywhere near the depth that a competitive game of SSBB does.

Think about how far a SSBB player can take their game: mid-game, a player can be tweaking their moveset. Since there are advantages to both spamming a move and not using it at all now, you can literally be customizing your character on the fly in terms of move potency.

No other fighting game has this depth. You typically just memorize moves and use them at the appropriate time. In SSBB, you'll have to keep mental tabs on which of your moves you've used and landed and where their appropriate knockback ability should now be.

This is, of course, if this new system is all that it's cracked up to be. We could still be mistaken in terms of its relevance, but it sounds to me like this is officially the deepest fighting game ever, unless there's another fighting game that factors fatigue into movesets on the fly.
Its at this point I stop you. Street Fighter is not just a game where you memorize move sets and "insert move here" mechanics. It's much deeper than that. What' your basically describing about SSBB is exactly how 3rd Strike is played. You have to keep tabs on every move you do, and know which ones have a better chance of hitting, and which ones can faint and fool your opponent... and a lot of other things.

SSBB will be deep, but don't go knocking on Street Fighter now.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Hey, how about we just refer to this game mechanic as "Damage Scaling" like in Melty Blood? After all, it follows a similar principle.

Or perhaps "Power scaling" for a more Brawl-oriented name?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Hey, how about we just refer to this game mechanic as "Damage Scaling" like in Melty Blood? After all, it follows a similar principle.

Or perhaps "Power scaling" for a more Brawl-oriented name?

PS or DS for short. For example:

"If you use Ike's Bair repeatedly, the move's DS will bring the KO power down and it will only be useful as a combo move to set up for his other KO moves."

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Its at this point I stop you. Street Fighter is not just a game where you memorize move sets and "insert move here" mechanics. It's much deeper than that. What' your basically describing about SSBB is exactly how 3rd Strike is played. You have to keep tabs on every move you do, and know which ones have a better chance of hitting, and which ones can faint and fool your opponent... and a lot of other things.

SSBB will be deep, but don't go knocking on Street Fighter now.
As a Third Strike player, I agree with this. I think part of the reason I like smash so much though is that its not as tech-reliant. Most of these things come natural, "intuitive" as Mookie puts it. Thats not to say it doesn't have depth, its just less stressful is all.

So why isn't anybody testing this anyways? Just spam some up-tilts and see what you can combo right? I'll be trying this when I get the game tomorrow, If I'm lucky enough for it to ship on time that is.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I've seen a Sheik player combo with Sheik's Ftilt something like 8 times in a row with DI. That's much more than you could normally do in Melee. Could this be the reason?

Megasabin

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. Can someone answer this for me:

A couple of people have stated that this mechanic was already in SSBM. Is it more pronounced now or something? Does it have a larger effect? Why is it such a big deal when it already existed?

Thanks

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Man, that's great news for the heavier power characters. Because one big hit is typically all they need it doesn't hurt them all that much.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nothing new.

Read the entirety of the FIRST POST. I've no patience for more of this idiocy.

Ripped

Smash Cadet
Interesting, this is going to really affect the way a character with a limited amount of kill moves plays, its going to be fun watching new strategies developed by the players and how they play based on this find.

Zek

Smash Ace
Why don't we have any concrete information on this yet? It's so easy to test, just go into training mode and hit somebody from the center of final destination with the same attack multiple times in a row. We need to know how drastic the knockback reduction is each time, and how long the effect lasts. If this is really major enough that it will ruin your killing blows if you use them too early, and can lead to easier combos with weaker moves, it could lead to some pretty incredible depth.

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
Why is there even a need to bring these other games up?

Come on now, SF, GG, and MB all have a great amount of depth to them, and SSBB will too, so tout it as anything else other then a good thing (instead of something that would place it on a higher pedestal).

;p

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Traditional fighting games like GG and Melty Blood have a different kind of depth to them though. I play Smash and Soul Calibur competitively, and I can safely say that Soul Calibur is much much harder and more technical (mind game oriented)

However, Smash Bros is a lot less limiting, which makes the technical aspect seem "easier" even though it's still quite complex at higher level play. The thing is, in Smash Bros you're free to strategise however you want. You can run away from your opponent to give yourself breathing room. Try that in Soul Calibur and your opponent will chase you down and critical hit you with a big stick.

S2

Smash Lord
Ryoko I still had one question that maybe you could answer...

so if an attack is diminished (let's say for example Zelda's F-air), does its knockback/damage build back simply over time by not hitting with it or by doing a certain amount of damage with other attacks? Or both?

Obviously you may not have Brawl to test it, but do you know how it worked in Melee?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
You actually had to hit and deal damage with other attacks in order to reverse damage decay on staled moves. How many hits you needed to make depends on how "staled" the attack was. Also, rapid jabs and other multi-hit attacks which consisted of a single input will only cause one count of move decay like any other attack. The passage of time did absolutely nothing to bring damage back.

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
This matchup between Gimpyfish and an unknown zelda shows this effect really well, skip forward onto the last stock, the zelda player repeatedly uses the fsmash 5-7 times in a row with only an occasional hit between, by the end, the half-charged Fsmash is only sending gimpy at 170% barely off the screen. She then connects with as single ftilt and KO's gimpy pretty far off the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom