• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i'm... starting to get.... GOOD!?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
ok... so i used to suck a LOT.

it's taken a long time... but i just killed a lv 9 computer (1 stock, though) without taking ANY damage as zelda.

ok, this is better than it sounds. i used to main zelda, but i stopped for about a year because she just sucked too much (by that i mean i just sucked too much AS zelda, and i was really upset that sheik was so much better).... so i ditched her about a year ago for samus and some others (though the others are just practice for brawl characters). i'd gotten pretty good with samus already and then i saw the vids of zelda in brawl. BEAST totally, imo.... so i decided that i would pick her back up...

so i was really, REALLY sucking this whole week because it's been so long since i've played zelda... and now i'm actually better than before >_>

btw, i know i'm nowhere near pro, but i'm nowhere near noob either.

Patinator

Smash Champion
...Okay... Well, CPUs don't mean anything, but I suppose not taking any damage, as ZELDA of all characters, is pretty impressive... Just remember she'll be a bit buffed in Brawl. :)

Sliq

Smash Master
Computers mean absolutely nothing. You need to play a real person.

And no, you aren't good.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can't wait for Brawl to come out so cocky douchebags like you can get knocked back to square one.
I can't wait for Brawl to come out so pretentious noobs like you can realize going to a new game won't suddenly make you better than before.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I don't recall saying I was a noob. Way to make an assumption.
You're a noob if you think any pros from Melee are going to get "knocked back to square one" just because Brawl is a new game.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
You're a noob if you think any pros from Melee are going to get "knocked back to square one" just because Brawl is a new game.
The weeks upon weeks that the "pros" spent learning and mastering all these advanced techniques are going to be not only useless but harmful when the switch is made from Melee to Brawl. You're the noob if you think that your skills are just going to instantly transfer over and everything will be the same as it was.

Yes, there will be a major skill difference between pros and noobs still, but the gap will be much MUCH less spaced.

Sliq

Smash Master
And you're an idiot for taking that completely literally. I'm saying that while the casual players get good without using all these "pro" techniques, the pros have been focusing so hardcore on mastering advanced techniques, which are now useless and even going to harm the pro players going into Brawl.
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about.
Then prove me wrong or shut up. Have you tried to stop l-canceling, wavedashing, shffling, or edgeguarding (none of which will be in Brawl) only to catch yourself doing it a minute later? It's like second nature. Adjusting to these changes will set back the pros a long way.

Weed

Smash Lord
Somebody needs to calm the **** down.. wait until the game comes out (for people other than Gimpy) and see if the pros start to suck.

Funked

Smash Apprentice
Pros arent pro because they mastered the tech. Pros are pros because they mastered the tech and are intellegent players and they can adapt on the fly. Just because you cant break habits easy, doesnt mean others wont. You are a fool to think that pros are going to be set back. Thats a scrub mentality. The game mechanics havent changed so drastically that is like OMG IVE NEVER PLYD THIS GAME B4! HOW DID DAT SCRUB BEAT ME!?

Im by no means saying that you are a bad player, but you will never grow hoping you are going to become better because the "pros" became worse. There will be no long set back, MAYBE a week at max.

Edge Gaurding is still in the game its just different. its more of a mind game mixup.

I think you need to read David Sirlin's Playing to win.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
It's funny how you all assume that I'm a bad player and that I don't know what I'm doing. I'm a good player. I'm not AMAZING, but I'd put myself at a very very high level of a casual player. The only difference between pros and myself is I don't compete. Not that I see anything wrong with competing, in fact it looks fun, but it's just not my style. I game for fun, not for glory. Yes, it's probably true I'd get my *** handed to me a few times, but again, I put myself at a very high "casual gamer" status.

Back on topic, I don't think I worded this right. Pros will not be set back, but rather, they will no longer be able to create an enormous gap between themselves and others by simply spouting out their nonsense of "WELL I CAN DO THIS ADVANCED TECHNIQUE AND THIS ONE AND THIS ONE AND THIS ONE AND YOU CAN'T MAKING ME BETTER THAN YOU". I can't count the number of arguments I've seen on these boards end with "well you don't know how to do this so you suck" nonsense. It's going to be (although not completely) more of a non-issue in Brawl since the game will not be COMPLETELY based on glitches, intended to be in the game or not.

My mentality is not "well they'll get worse making me better". It's more along the lines of "the gameplay changes, so will I, and so will everyone else. Let's see how results vary between casual gamers, pros, and noobs"

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Nice but. . .skill is not measured in CPU kills.
Lvl.9 is only impressive for their inhuman powershielding.
Stick to human fighters for Brawl training, but realize that that the game you are training for is completely different than Melee.
Good work, I hope to play you in the future! ^ ~

Funked

Smash Apprentice
Ok, i see where you are coming from, but this is assuming that something else silly isnt found and abused. I've been playing games for money for a long time and many different games, and seem many different styles and methods and seen games change from bad to good and from good to crap.

I already know people are going not like this game because its not the prevoius installment. Happens with every game, and im a culprit. I played Unreal Tournament 2004 at a pro level and with UT3 came out i quit because it wasnt 2004.

I personally dont think that the absence of certain elements of the game is going to change things that much. High Level of play is going to come down to who is more intellegent and better than adapting. That is something that will create a large gap, simply because it come down to the power of the mind.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's funny how you all assume that I'm a bad player and that I don't know what I'm doing. I'm a good player. I'm not AMAZING, but I'd put myself at a very very high level of a casual player. The only difference between pros and myself is I don't compete. Not that I see anything wrong with competing, in fact it looks fun, but it's just not my style. I game for fun, not for glory. Yes, it's probably true I'd get my *** handed to me a few times, but again, I put myself at a very high "casual gamer" status.
I'm quite a bit baffled as to how you can measure your skill as a casual gamer. You're playing for fun, but it matters how good you are at.... having fun?

Back on topic, I don't think I worded this right. Pros will not be set back, but rather, they will no longer be able to create an enormous gap between themselves and others by simply spouting out their nonsense of "WELL I CAN DO THIS ADVANCED TECHNIQUE AND THIS ONE AND THIS ONE AND THIS ONE AND YOU CAN'T MAKING ME BETTER THAN YOU".
That nonsense is not spouted by pros, it is spouted by morons.

I can't count the number of arguments I've seen on these boards end with "well you don't know how to do this so you suck" nonsense.
You can't quite use the converse of that to guess what we consider "good at the game." People who don't know how and don't want to learn how to wavedash or L-Cancel probably suck. A lot of people who do know how to do that probably still suck. Good people know how to do the advanced techs, but people who know how to do the advanced techs aren't necessarily good.

It's going to be (although not completely) more of a non-issue in Brawl since the game will not be COMPLETELY based on glitches, intended to be in the game or not.
First of all, there are plenty of things that aren't glitches and in fact made it into Brawl. Wavedashing was an exploit of physics that was indirectly removed by modifying the physics engine. L-Canceling is the only INTENTIONALLY added technique in Melee that was removed for Brawl, but inexplicably there's still a method to cancel lag from aerials, albeit being much more situational.

My mentality is not "well they'll get worse making me better". It's more along the lines of "the gameplay changes, so will I, and so will everyone else. Let's see how results vary between casual gamers, pros, and noobs"
More like "the gameplay changes, everyone goes to square one," in your words.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
I'm quite a bit baffled as to how you can measure your skill as a casual gamer. You're playing for fun, but it matters how good you are at.... having fun?
I play for fun. That doesn't mean I also can't be good. It's fun to win, naturally, so as my friends get better, so do I. I don't HAVE to compete and be measured on a 1-10 rating scale. I've watched hundreds of videos, I know who I could and couldn't hold my own against. And even if I'm not that good, which by all means I may not be by your standards, what difference does it make? I can still make a point, it's not like I'm completely ignorant on the topic of SSB. And before you say anything, having differing opinions != ignorant.

That nonsense is not spouted by pros, it is spouted by morons.
fair enough

You can't quite use the converse of that to guess what we consider "good at the game." People who don't know how and don't want to learn how to wavedash or L-Cancel probably suck. A lot of people who do know how to do that probably still suck. Good people know how to do the advanced techs, but people who know how to do the advanced techs aren't necessarily good.
That first point is not entirely true, I've seen some amazing players win through sheer mindgames and attack placement with very VERY minimal tech use; an example of someone who played ALL the time without learning all the necessities, but won through sheer experience and knowledge. Those are the kind of players I'm looking forward to playing, and an example of how I'm hoping the top Brawl players will be.

First of all, there are plenty of things that aren't glitches and in fact made it into Brawl. Wavedashing was an exploit of physics that was indirectly removed by modifying the physics engine. L-Canceling is the only INTENTIONALLY added technique in Melee that was removed for Brawl, but inexplicably there's still a method to cancel lag from aerials, albeit being much more situational.
Right, which is why I said some were intended and some weren't.

More like "the gameplay changes, everyone goes to square one," in your words.
Well, since that's not what I said, those can't be my words can they?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can't wait for Brawl to come out so cocky douchebags like you can get knocked back to square one.
Your words are your words, ze.

That first point is not entirely true, I've seen some amazing players win through sheer mindgames and attack placement with very VERY minimal tech use; an example of someone who played ALL the time without learning all the necessities, but won through sheer experience and knowledge.
Cite sources? I've seen a lot of different styles, some more technical than others, but all of them knew at the very least the basics and were very consistent about it.

Right, which is why I said some were intended and some weren't.
There are no intended glitches. The very definition of glitch prohibits that from ever happening.

I don't HAVE to compete and be measured on a 1-10 rating scale.
Then don't be. "High level casual gamer" doesn't work out quite right. The "game for fun, not for glory" doesn't exactly make sense either because most competitive players play for fun rather than glory as well. You know, 'cos some people find competition fun? Your appraisal of yourself shows that you're a competitive player. You just don't want to enter any tournaments for the game. Which is fine, but not entering tournaments doesn't automatically make you a casual player.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
um... can we calm down, please?

ok. pros are going to be hindered quite a bit when they first start brawl... but they will still be much better than everyone else first playing brawl :p.

oh and also i know i'm not good and that computers are nothing... but hey, there's not much else i can do. i only get to play smash with a real person once every week or two, maybe even less... i'm mainly saying that i'm finally starting to get better.... like, i've been at the same level for the longest time, not getting better...

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm good, but of course not great lol. For example, I went to two tournaments so far, and I may have won one or two matches, and then lose. That just makes me want to practice more, but then I was just thinking of giving up, no matter how much I practice, I won't be satisfied. Also, brawl felt weird, but you play it in the same way. (played the japanese version on a modded wii) I also did make the mistake of jump canceling, or rather, trying to jump cancel, and instead I jumped. But, that didn't make me a poorer player. (didn't know how to word that lol) True, I agree that you might be good, Shweex, but seriously, you should compete, at least to see how good other players are. When I first started playing melee, I thought my friends were really good. (my senior year of highschoo) Then, I come in to my first term of college, enter a lounge, thinking I may be really good, but ironically the people in there were much better, the best in the state in fact, lol! Its sort of depressing at times, I have also considered giving up smash at all, I have only almost two years of experience with this game, and I know, I have no faith in myself.

Bailey

Smash Hero
From reading this thread I relized a few things:

1. Shweex is obviously a noob that sucks.

2. See 1

3. Sliq is banned...:(

4. See 2 then 1.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
Your words are your words, ze.
That was more of an insult towards him than the Smash population. It was unnessesary. It may be true, but it was completely uncalled for him to be such a **** about it.

Cite sources? I've seen a lot of different styles, some more technical than others, but all of them knew at the very least the basics and were very consistent about it.
There's someone on Smashwiki, I can't remember his name, he lives in Canada. I just remember reading on how he's a well-known and good player despite his minimal tech use.

There are no intended glitches. The very definition of glitch prohibits that from ever happening.
Wavedashing was a glitch that was originally not intended to be in Melee. However, due to the fact that the game was too near completion to get rid of, Wavedashing was left in. Thus, a glitch that was intentionally left in the game. Even if it wasn't MADE on purpose, it was left in the game knowingly by the developers.

Then don't be. "High level casual gamer" doesn't work out quite right. The "game for fun, not for glory" doesn't exactly make sense either because most competitive players play for fun rather than glory as well. You know, 'cos some people find competition fun? Your appraisal of yourself shows that you're a competitive player. You just don't want to enter any tournaments for the game. Which is fine, but not entering tournaments doesn't automatically make you a casual player.
If I say I'm good but don't compete, people say I'm not good and I'm "just afraid to lose against pros" and/or face reality; fact is, it's not really a big deal to me. I know I'm nothing special when compared to 90% of the people here that know how to actually play well. Just another face in the crowd. That's why to avoid the argument, I just say I'm a casual Smasher who knows what he's doing. Ironically enough, THAT gets me insulted too. I guess there's no way people can accept that there ARE people who are so-so at the game and DO know just as much as an average pro but never got around to competing simply because it's not their style. Yeah, I'd probably get spanked by pros; I've never actually played anyone pro, but I've seen plenty of movies to know the skill difference. It's vast but not to the point where I couldn't hold my own, if at least enough to gain a little respect from whoever I'm playing.

Also, if you're going to be a tard like Bailey and not say something productive, don't bother posting. You'll make yourself look like a tool. I like debating pro vs casual and don't see any reason for personal attacks, it's not like anyone is holding any personal grudges.

EDIT:
This thread basically sums up my point

darklinkjr

Smash Cadet
1. computers are gimped.

2. zelda hmm impressive.

3. ive taken a full tean of lvl 9 comps. nothing really special.
( just turn on friendly fire and watch the fireworks)

and yeah.. good luck for you. practicing on melee could get you slightly better for brawl. :p

Valdens

Smash Ace
Just to clarify, Shweex made the comment about blah blah cocky douchebag to Sliq, who had made an extremely rude comment to the OP, who had calmly presented his feat (small as it may be.)

You guys might have missed that, because IMO, Shweex had every right to make that comment.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Ankoku, Your awesome, when I first learned how to l-cancel and wavedash on a consitant basis I SUCKED, I mean I played Yattadante for two hours and got ***** for two hours, (two years ago, also I play link he plays fox) Because I was like "OMFG I KNOW HOW TO USE L-Cancleing and wavedashing which means im relaly good now!" and I came to find out that even Yatta dante was a noob back then, and didnt even l-cancel properly on a consistant basis. I Kept that mentality and changed almost nothing about it for three to four months. and then I went to an anime convention and played different peope and realized how much more I needed to just focus on playing the Dang game then "OMFG I CAN L-CANCEL AND WAVEDASH!" Which is what I was doing. and so During my first hour in friendlies I was getting handed here and there, then a little less, then a little less. and everntually I was holding my own because when i was put under pressure and forgot about just using advanced techniqes. and they simply came out and I was able to make to the finals in one tourny.

My point here is I never became better because I learned advanced techniqes, yes, that helped but. I became soley because I focused on playing intelligently and when I did that, the advanced techniqes I had spent so much time perfecting started coming out correctly.

-Ja ne.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Topic creator: Sorry, but you probably still suck as others have mentioned.

Then prove me wrong or shut up. Have you tried to stop l-canceling, wavedashing, shffling, or edgeguarding (none of which will be in Brawl) only to catch yourself doing it a minute later? It's like second nature. Adjusting to these changes will set back the pros a long way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QS0rlglH8c

Now shut up.
Yeah, I'd probably get spanked by pros; I've never actually played anyone pro, but I've seen plenty of movies to know the skill difference. It's vast but not to the point where I couldn't hold my own, if at least enough to gain a little respect from whoever I'm playing.
EDIT:
This thread basically sums up my point
You're wrong. It is vast, more so than you could possibly imagine. You would get four-stocked by people who would get four-stocked by high level players.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
There's really no way you could hold your own against competitively experienced players when you only play "casually". You are, however, entitled to believe that you might be the first non-competitive unknown to dethrone a pro against all odds.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
Wavedashing was a glitch that was originally not intended to be in Melee. However, due to the fact that the game was too near completion to get rid of, Wavedashing was left in. Thus, a glitch that was intentionally left in the game. Even if it wasn't MADE on purpose, it was left in the game knowingly by the developers.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Wavedashing wasn't known about until at least a year after its release, and wasn't just "left in the game."

Furthermore, it isn't a glitch, it is an exploit. They programmed sliding into the game when you air dodge into the ground at an angle. They didn't think people would use it as a movement system.

If I say I'm good but don't compete, people say I'm not good and I'm "just afraid to lose against pros" and/or face reality; fact is, it's not really a big deal to me. I know I'm nothing special when compared to 90% of the people here that know how to actually play well. Just another face in the crowd. That's why to avoid the argument, I just say I'm a casual Smasher who knows what he's doing. Ironically enough, THAT gets me insulted too. I guess there's no way people can accept that there ARE people who are so-so at the game and DO know just as much as an average pro but never got around to competing simply because it's not their style. Yeah, I'd probably get spanked by pros; I've never actually played anyone pro, but I've seen plenty of movies to know the skill difference. It's vast but not to the point where I couldn't hold my own, if at least enough to gain a little respect from whoever I'm playing.
What pisses people off is when you come into a thread, and go, "I'm good, but I don't need to prove it." That makes you an ignorant, arrogant moron, ESPECIALLY when you think that beating a level 9 in ANY capacity shows a level of skill.

You are NOT as good as you think you are. EVERYONE thinks they are the ****ing greatest thing ever, until they get stomped. Then they either: 1.) whine about "glitches," 2.) become competitive and learn AT's, or 3.) don't care and do nothing.

You would not hold your own. DECENT competitive players don't even hold their own; they get 3 and 4 stocked, and some roll spamming noob will get OBLITERATED. It has happened over and over and over again. Someone in Texas named SoraKeyBladeMaster was talking ****, saying he could also compete, until Fast Like Tree went down there and beat him in an high stakes money match (50-80$ I think). He got WRECKED.

The point is your thread is called, "I'm starting to get good!", which you are not. If anything, I'm starting to get good (a little too late -_-) placing 17th at Pound 3. You suck ***, and will suck *** until you put the time into not sucking ***.

Also, if you're going to be a tard like Bailey and not say something productive, don't bother posting. You'll make yourself look like a tool. I like debating pro vs casual and don't see any reason for personal attacks, it's not like anyone is holding any personal grudges.
IRONY! Your first post is nothing but you posting like a moron, looking like a tool. Either you were trying to impress random people over the internet, a very valiant venture--not in the least pathetic or inane--, or you are trolling. Either way, you fail.

tl;dr

You are not good. Do not post nonsense on SWF and take up valuable space about beating a level 9.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
youre pro-ness is too much too bear!!!!!!! ima get owned against j00 all the time!!!! LVL 9'S?!?!? COMON MAN, THEYRE TOUGH.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I'd like to point out on the arguement that pro's will automatically suck

KoreanDJ went practically undefeated on saturday, just because he's a smart player

saying, i can't wait to **** you in brawl makes me excited, cause i'm going to be handing scrubs ASSES to them

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Hahahaha you make me laugh.

Now go back to the brawl boards.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
youre pro-ness is too much too bear!!!!!!! ima get owned against j00 all the time!!!! LVL 9'S?!?!? COMON MAN, THEYRE TOUGH.
i knoe, rite? li3k i can beat al of j00 now!!!

but seriously... i understand i still suck. it's just a huge accomplishment for ME :p

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
i knoe, rite? li3k i can beat al of j00 now!!!

but seriously... i understand i still suck. it's just a huge accomplishment for ME :p
Ok, well that's all fine, but we don't care, because your accomplishment is ********. Why did you post this here? What did you want to get out of it, and what are we suppose to get out of it?

If I had to guess, you wanted people to go, "ZOMG you are liek teh bestest!", which is pretty sad seeking self fulfillment from an internet forum dedicated to a series of video games, and if this is the case, you have MUCH bigger problems then your lack of skill at said video games.

Top Bottom