• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm back into the game and I'm playing Ganondorf again. Ask me anything related.

chaddd

Smash Lord
What's your best advice for an aspiring Ganon player?
That's a complicated question but my advice would be to focus heavily on his many strengths.

I'll list some stuff for you.

-Invincible ledgehog and invincible ledge dash. You should be able to do these without trying.

-Platform abuse. Wavelanding off for back airs, up airs, and forward airs can all increase the appearance of his speed. Forward airs are the hardest.

-Multiple aerials per jump. This includes full jump double down airs, full jump triple back airs, and full jump triple up airs.

-The jab. No character can **** with the jab. If you jab them out of range, run up for a grab, any farther than that and you can forward tilt. If they happen to still be in range then you should most definitely just jab again. Get comfortable jabbing again as soon as possible after jabbing.

-Learn to back air and foward air (The Captain Hook) AROUND the ledge of the stage so that they hit an opponent either hanging vulnerable on the ledge or an opponent attempting to grab the ledge. This is done by controlling the descent and timing of your fast fall and short hop.

*******Lastly I'd suggest you learn the move set that works best for specific characters. Melee is really one of the only fighting games that works this way. You're better off not using certain moves nearly as often on certain characters, while the match up can be made MUCH easier by focusing on the abuse of a small section of his move set.

Here's a list of the best moves to focus on against the top tier characters:

**Captain Falcon**
-Forward-Up Tilt (not to be confused with the up-tilt)
-Back Air
-Instant Up Air
-Neutral Air (Yours out-ranges his. So does a VERY well timed Forward Air.)

(PRO TIP: Shield Dash ruins Falcon's spacing, and double jump down-b to intercept his up-b is an amazing way to get a low percentage stock)

**Fox**
-Jab. Jab. Jab. JAB. JAB. JAB. F****** JAB.
-Grab/Chain Grab
-Forward Tilt
-Retreating Forward Airs

(PRO TIP: Fake a jump off the ledge to force a Firefox and then get out there for a free shot. Also forward-down tilt will take out any Fox/Falco trying to sweet-spot the ledge with a Firefox.)

**Falco**
-Crouch Cancel Jabs. This includes crouch cancelling lasers. Sometimes it's better to take the hit for a free jab.
-Grab/Chain Grab
-Up airs. The back and the front are equally useful.
-Don't be afraid of the lasers. Remember that they leave him open when he's doing them.

(PRO TIP: Crouch cancelling and then jabbing the edge double laser is pretty much a free stock. If you don't have time to get positioned for it, you can always jump on top of Falco for a down air when he goes for it.)

(SPACE ANIMAL PRO TIP FOR ANY CHARACTER: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER LET THEM LIVE ONCE THEY'VE BEEN FORCED TO FIREFOX.)

**Sheik**
-The grab can be Ganon's strongest tool in this matchup.
-Retreating Forward Airs
-Reverse Up Airs and WELL spaced offensive Up Airs.

(PRO TIP: Always stay moving and try to spend as little time on the ground as possible without making yourself vulnerable or giving away when you're going to use your double jumps. In this matchup a grab is a free stock for either side. Also remember to always grab the ledge once you get Sheik off the edge of the stage. If you're under 100% you can force an up b with the ledgeroll and still have time to punish. If you're on your game with the ledgehog you shouldn't have to worry about being hit with the Up B.)

**Marth**
-Back Air
-Instant and reverse Up Airs
-Pressure with Forward Airs

(PRO TIP: Ledgehog invincibility is vital in edge guarding Marth. You can force him to Up-B onto the stage and then ledgehop for a free grab. Standard as well as wavelanding reverse up airs is also the best way to discourage any Marth coming back to the stage.)

**Peach**
-Offensive and Retreating Forward Air
-Offensive Up Airs
-Back Airs

(PRO TIP: KEEP HER IN THE AIR. There isn't a single aerial she has that can prevent being hit by Ganondorf from underneath. If you can keep her off the ground then you have already won the game. And since every aerial pops her up this is pretty easy. Use wavedashing to stay directly under her when she's floating or using her umbrella. Try to avoid jabs that you would normally spam on her shield and in general because it will more often than not cause you to catch an unwanted turnip and take a hit to the face.)

**Jigglypuff**
-Wavelands/Wavedashes into tilts and jabs.
-Reverse Up Airs
-Carefully timed retreating and offensive forward airs. You need to be careful when you choose to do this because it could get you Wall of Pain'ed.
-Down Air and Up Airs. Try to stay above or below her. Your worst enemy is her Back Air.

(PRO TIP: Prepare to camp. You absolutely can't be too patient. There's really no point in going off the stage to edge guard because a kill on a Jigglepuff will almost always be a solid hit from center stage and instantly kill. Try to stay center stage and only leave the stage when you're sure you'll get the hit. As long as you can trade blow for blow you'll win.)

Chaddd is mad smart. He could def turn heads again if he plays a lot like he says he will.

Chaddd, do you think if you were playing at your top performance that you would need to still CP Fox for spacies or Falcon or Sheik(just throwing matchups out there)? Basically a "do you think Ganon is viable" but on a more personal level lol.
Ganondorf holds the capability to win any matchup if he plays it right. The main issue with running him 100% of the time is just that in certain scenarios involving lack of sleep, exhaustion, nervousness, and other issues. You tend to find that Ganondorf's mistakes have much more of an impact on his ability to win the game than the vast amount of high tier characters.

For instance, Fox produces around 200 actions around the same time Ganondorf produces roughly 30-40. One mistake from Fox may very well be punished, but due to his high number of actions it makes it much less likely to affect his overall game performance negatively than a character like Ganondorf.

My goal has always been to have characters available when I need them, and I believe that when I'm playing at the highest possible level of the meta game today that I would have equal control over both my characters if only for the sake of versatility.

Certain players I find it's better strategy to play Ganondorf against their high tiers because of their aggressive play styles. But typically if I'm playing a player who has a lot of experience against Ganondorf, like Lambchops for instance (who has trained with both Tipman and Linguini), it's much smarter for me to select a character with an equal number of options.

There is also the fact that Fox has a distinct advantage over Ganondorf against characters like Falcon and Sheik, where as the characters that give Fox trouble (like Samus, Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong, Peach, and Marth) are all pretty strongly in Ganondorf's favor.

Essentially my goal is to be able to play both my characters as well as one another so that I can apply that to my knowledge of my opponent for a stronger strategic advantage.

I think if Chaddd steps up his innovation and speed somewhat he'll go straight Ganon without thinking twice.
And you're right. Touching on what I said to Peepee just now, there are several matchups (both player and character) that I feel Ganondorf is a much stronger pick. Typically I prefer to play Ganondorf first and foremost and I will only switch if I feel the match wasn't close enough to risk picking him twice in a row.

But if I'm playing against someone who knows Ganondorf well enough to know how to call his actions often enough to make the matchup relatively even, I'd prefer for the matchup to remain relatively even while being able to maintain a greater number of options (playing as Fox).

Truthfully, it's a simple matter of counter picking as strategically as possible. While I feel that I could win against any character or player with Ganondorf if I performed flawlessly, at a certain level of pro competition I've come to the conclusion that playing as Fox affords me the luxury of accomplishing the exact same goal while only having to work 1/3 as hard as if I had picked Ganondorf.

It's a sad fact of the game at a certain level, and I'm confident I'll need an equally skilled Fox and Ganondorf in order to Top 5 regional or national level brackets. Just watch my videos from Winterfest and you'll see what I mean. I lost Fox dittos to Jman all day that day, and he put me into Loser's Brackets 2-0 when I picked Ganondorf both games. I simply decided I had nothing to lose by at least trying to play Fox even though I hadn't won any dittos against him all day, and it worked out in my favor. Alternatively, against M2K in the same bracket, I beat his Marth with my Ganondorf, at which point I had to switch to Fox to avoid being chain grab 4 stocked by his Sheik (which he actually did earlier that day). If my Fox had been stronger against Marth at that point then it could have easily been me playing Hungrybox for Loser's Finals.

Also pay close attention to the selections for the entire M2K set. By selecting Fox first, I greatly increased the chances that he would counterpick Marth, who I prefer to play against. It also allowed for the Ganon/Marth counterpick in the second match, and switching back to Fox increased the chances that he would stick with his already warmed up Marth as opposed to switching to a Sheik that he hadn't played yet during the entire set. With my character selection I was able to strongly influence my opponent's characters selection.

Truthfully my ultimate goal will always be maintaining the strongest and most strategic counterpick game possible. It's just how everyone at the highest level of play has managed to win so consistently and seemingly effortlessly, from Isai's Falcon/Sheik to Armada's Peach/Young Link. For example, if Armada had only played Peach at Genesis, then it's likely he would have just lost to Hungrybox, where if he only played Young Link he probably would have never made it far enough to play Hungrybox in the first place.

I also feel it's much more strategic for your opponent to be unable to determine your characters selection OR your strongest stage pick. It's undeniable that it's much easier to prepare for a match mentally and strategically when you already know your opponent's character selection. It's definitely much more of an advantage to do your best to remain unpredictable.

chaddd

Smash Lord
is fair the only move you really need?
It CAN be but it's better to keep people guessing between that and the taunt.

Is bizzaroflame better than kage?
:phone:
Who and who?

do you want to MM my samus?
Yes.

This is the best news I've heard all year smash wise.

Please come back to your former self and show everyone how to play ganon.
It's already happening. I playing with movement in training mode Isai style and I've already discovered a handful of things I never knew about. It should be pretty cool to show them off.

chaddd

Smash Lord
my n!gga, come to fl sometime. you, me, and chris need to smoke blunts in the near future haha
Man I haven't seen you or Chris in around a year. I should be going to Apex, though.

I've been watching your videos and that Ganondorf is too fresh.

What's your best advice for an aspiring Ganon player?
I put the response to this in the first post.

who are the best ganons right now in order?
There is no best Ganon. It's a common misconception among the majority of players. Dittos typically designate who people think the "best" is, but truth is that dittos are random and hardly consistent. I've almost lost to Ganons and then I've four stocked them in the same set of friendlies, and I really did nothing different between games.

The other factor is matchups. I have always been able to fight Fox because I play Fox more often than any other character. Linguini is the same way with Falco after having trained with Lambchops for so long. Kage is great against Sheik.

And this also shouldn't cause you to assume that any of us are much better than the other at these matchups, despite our strengths. This is simply because player's tactics and abilities are constantly changing on a day by day basis. Even videos a week old aren't incredibly useful because of all the things the player learned from every loss they had that weekend.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I wouldn't go so far as saying 1 week is enough to change completely. It usually depends how on point I can play while under pressure. A Ganon should NEVER miss an edgeguard, especially vs top tiers since these guys can get away with mistakes far easier than Ganon can. Like letting a Fox get back on stage can lead to stupid combos and then easy deaths.

Personally I gotta work on that and not be nervous during intense sets where a lot is on the line. If you get too nervous then your mindset starts to crumble and you definitely don't want that, it makes you do ******** decisions lol.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Well I wouldn't go so far as saying 1 week is enough to change completely. It usually depends how on point I can play while under pressure. A Ganon should NEVER miss an edgeguard, especially vs top tiers since these guys can get away with mistakes far easier than Ganon can. Like letting a Fox get back on stage can lead to stupid combos and then easy deaths.

Personally I gotta work on that and not be nervous during intense sets where a lot is on the line. If you get too nervous then your mindset starts to crumble and you definitely don't want that, it makes you do ******** decisions lol.
It really depends on your mindset. When I played in Evo World back in 2007, I got to play with PC Chris, Cactuar, Chillin', Chu Dat, M2K, and Eddie. When I got back home I was on another level entirely.

And what you described is what it takes to win tournaments. It's a big reason why Mango can win so often and make it look so smooth. I've been playing in tournaments for over a decade now so I'm not typically one to get nervous anymore. It's really the first thing you have to work on if you expect to progress anywhere in a tournament.

Really my biggest problem at tournaments in general is never getting enough sleep. I can't remember a single tournament where I got even 7 hours of sleep before having to be at the venue. It's just too difficult to pull off when so many people you want to hang out with have traveled across the country. It would definitely help with just about every player's game, though.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Eehh.. well chilling with people you almost never see > Sleep. =P Anyways, I usually get wayyy too hyped up to sleep properly before tournaments and at tournaments if it's a 2 day tournament or more. I don't really think sleep affects your play all that much, because I mean being in the zone is being in the zone. But I guess it also depends on people too.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Eehh.. well chilling with people you almost never see > Sleep. =P Anyways, I usually get wayyy too hyped up to sleep properly before tournaments and at tournaments if it's a 2 day tournament or more. I don't really think sleep affects your play all that much, because I mean being in the zone is being in the zone. But I guess it also depends on people too.
Well yes, but performance is based heavily on reaction speed. And lack of sleep can reduce your reaction speed by full seconds if it's bad enough. A few hours of sleep could be the difference between what you consider a tough matchup and completely owning someone.

It also affects your decision making as well as the speed of it. So if you get enough sleep it can help you make better decisions faster. But sleeping at what is essentially a giant 2 or 3 day long Smash Brothers party is easier said than done.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well I know for a fact that people can actually play better with lack of sleep, I'm not sure how that works for them but.. ya that's how it is, the scientific approach is not always the correct one.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Well I know for a fact that people can actually play better with lack of sleep, I'm not sure how that works for them but.. ya that's how it is, the scientific approach is not always the correct one.
I can't see any way that I could agree with this. The scientific approach is scientific because it relies on facts.

I can't honestly believe that any player would actually improve their playing ability by not sleeping. It's not biologically possible.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I've read testimonies for myself, we are indeed capable of anything when it's time to put it on. It's similar to when you are in a tight spot then your adrenaline pumps in, so the lack of sleep becomes irrelevant. I have that happen to me plenty of times.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Not exactly.. but nice try. Adrenaline rushes happen when your life is on the line. Sometimes I feel that way in tournaments and I can actually feel my blood boiling. But I mean in other cases ya we are all human but we are also capable of anything too when we really want to.

crush

Smash Master
Not exactly.. but nice try. Adrenaline rushes happen when your life is on the line. Sometimes I feel that way in tournaments and I can actually feel my blood boiling. But I mean in other cases ya we are all human but we are also capable of anything too when we really want to.
Oh sweet talking to the cage in two different threads =)

But I actually read some article about competitive gaming and how no sleep was usually better than like 1-2 hours maybe 6 months ago or so. I would post a link but I can't find it.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Oh sweet talking to the cage in two different threads =)

But I actually read some article about competitive gaming and how no sleep was usually better than like 1-2 hours maybe 6 months ago or so. I would post a link but I can't find it.

That's because too little sleep will make you groggy as opposed to just a slow decline.

But as far as being "better" on no sleep, it's really not possible. There is no situation that exists that you wouldn't have performed better in if you hadn't been in need of sleep.

Being able to "be in the zone" is irrelevant, because your "zone" would involve that much more skill if you weren't in a state that limits your reaction speed, judgement, and depth perception.

If you were able to win even though you were tired, then that's great. But if you had been in the same situation and hadn't been tired then you would have just won that much easier.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I guess.. but that's hard to define.. there's still too many variables to determine if it was the actual lack of sleep or enough sleep that changed the outcome of a set.

D

Deleted member

I can't honestly believe that any player would actually improve their playing ability by not sleeping. It's not biologically possible.
Actually, you can. It just means that you're better with crappy reflexes playing on automatic than if you're alert and thinking.

IE thinking makes you worse, or yet another way to see it is that you're bad at thinking. Yeah.

Pi

Smash Hero
I guess.. but that's hard to define.. there's still too many variables to determine if it was the actual lack of sleep or enough sleep that changed the outcome of a set.
yes, you are correct there
there's no way to re-create the same exact situation given every variables in smash & in the change in time/location/atoms interacting w/ one another/etc. etc.
but experiments, many of them, have been done on the effects of lack of sleep and it is a generally accepted fact, fact, fact, fact, among the scientific community that lack of sleep has no real positive effects.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/10-surprising-results

2. Sleep Loss Dumbs You Down

Sleep plays a critical role in thinking and learning. Lack of sleep hurts these cognitive processes in many ways. First, it impairs attention, alertness, concentration, reasoning, and problem solving. This makes it more difficult to learn efficiently.

Second, during the night, various sleep cycles play a role in “consolidating” memories in the mind. If you don’t get enough sleep, you won’t be able to remember what you learned and experienced during the day.
Actually, you can. It just means that you're better with crappy reflexes playing on automatic than if you're alert and thinking.

IE thinking makes you worse, or yet another way to see it is that you're bad at thinking. Yeah.
sept for this. lol.

chaddd

Smash Lord

I can't see how if someone was bad at thinking that making that ability worse would somehow help them.

This discussion has become a little ridiculous.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/alert/sleep-deprivation-can-slow-reaction-time

Having a decent reaction speed means that if an opponent approaches you and your reaction speed is 0.2 seconds, that you will be able to react to that approach in 12 frames. If your opponent is sleep deprived and his reaction speed is normally the exact same as yours, then this means that his ability to react to your responses to his actions could easily take an extra 4 frames.

All this, especially against characters like Fox or Falco, would make winning either that much easier or that much harder. This doesn't even take into account the fact that your general reaction speed improves when you're well rested.

Getting enough rest is simply an advantage, regardless of what mystical folklore surrounds the idea that someone can still win on just 3 hours of sleep.

Holy ****. I am so glad you're back, Chad. Your posts are amazing, as always. I can't wait to see you play again!
Thanks, I can't wait to see how I stack up after really trying to compete. I'll be working harder than I ever have at making sure I perform at 100%.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Please tell me, what cause this inspiration in you to compete at 100%? It's so sudden! :bee:
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Smash scene in my state has been more or less non existent for a few years. As of recently we had Mew2King live here for a few months, Chinesah is now staying here, and N64 is staying here as well. There is also a larger group of aspiring Smash players as of now.

It's much better than it was now that there are people to play and tournaments to go to.

Top Bottom