• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm back into the game and I'm playing Ganondorf again. Ask me anything related.

Renth

Smash Hero
I guess I'm insane to think that statistically, I did better in my tournaments with no sleep than with sleep.
Just one of those things I doesn't make sense to me so I argue it just because I can. Congratulations on your good playing.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Just one of those things I doesn't make sense to me so I argue it just because I can. Congratulations on your good playing.
It doesn't have to make sense.. To me, my experience/how I feel is a much stronger truth than what BULL**** you read on the net. =P Things that can't be really proven outside of experience shouldn't really be talked about because there's only things certain people can see.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Sleep discussion, before a tournament if somebody honestly tries to claim they play better without sleeping or getting a good breakfast you are insane. Knowing this battlecow kid is a troll well it really doesn't surprise me he feels that way.
battlecow kid is a troll
Seriously, why do you do that? It's beyond rude. It's like you have a pathological aversion to being liked.

And why do I always feel compelled to argue with people like you? Everyone else seems to be able to let it fly. Maybe I should take a leaf and just trust that whatever abuse or w/e you suffered as a child was punishment enough in itself.

Renth

Smash Hero
Seriously, why do you do that? It's beyond rude. It's like you have a pathological aversion to being liked.

And why do I always feel compelled to argue with people like you? Everyone else seems to be able to let it fly. Maybe I should take a leaf and just trust that whatever abuse or w/e you suffered as a child was punishment enough in itself.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Are you really that dense, I get a laugh out of watching you get pissy over what I have to say on the internet? Please give me more stupid reactions. Do you know what a bully is? Online I fit that definition time to time because I enjoy picking on morons.

A bully, does things for a reaction if you do not give a reaction they move on or stop teasing you. If you are going to cry and assume I was beaten as a child it makes me laugh and I continue to say these things to get you to cry more.

If you actually knew me, you would know not to take the things I say seriously. you're the best.

Please get madder.

chaddd

Smash Lord
"The scientific method isn't always the right one." is possibly the worst quote I've ever heard.

Science is based on experiences and facts, life isn't some TV show where doubting scientific evidence and proof is how you develop some supernatural ability.

If someone is such a bad player that having the jitters taken away at the cost of their reaction speed and decision making abilities is an advantage, then that player wasn't very good in the first place.

Of the countless players I consider skilled, there hasn't been a single one that wasn't easier to beat when they managed to get no sleep.

If anyone would like to prove me wrong by getting next to no sleep on purpose, please feel free to ignore all biological facts and evidence and make it easier for the rest of us.

There has never and will never exist a competition of skill where slower reactions and worse decision making will help your chances of winning. It's a laughable argument at best.

And anyone hating on Renth clearly doesn't like hearing blunt observations. I find it funny that when people hear or read something they don't like, they immediately attribute it to a personality trait of the person they heard it from. It's as though no one is allowed to have a disagreeable opinion about anything without someone bringing personal attributes into question.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I watched the live stream for when you were playing barry you did well, I was cheering on the stream and shout outing hard because honestly that place is home to me.. well You know my past.

Anyway, what happened here? nothing at all people are silly.

Sleep discussion, before a tournament if somebody honestly tries to claim they play better without sleeping or getting a good breakfast you are insane. Knowing this battlecow kid is a troll well it really doesn't surprise me he feels that way.
I played well during a few friendlies, but I definitely wasn't playing my peak, or anywhere near during the day. I don't really understand why, haha.

One concern I have, mainly towards Chad/Roustane/Mark, is "How can I play at my peak when I want to?" Is there anything that I can remotely do to preform better, or is my day set before I even touch the controller? I went in with confidence, brought games back, and every set I didn't win, I brought to game three with high percents, last stocks. But I didn't play at my peak, and felt stuck when playing.

On the sleep note, I honestly feel it's personal preference. Ever since I moved to Florida again, I eat a good serving of vegetables such as cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli the night before the event, and no starches. I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep, and consume a breakfast high in B-6 and B-12. I, personally, feel there's a big nutricional aspect to it.

However, Justin Wong, the esteemed fighting game player would seem to disagree. He doesn't eat anything before the day of the tournament. Odd, but he wins. I really feel it's heavily preference, and what you're comfortable with. :)

chaddd

Smash Lord
Practice is the only way to play your best whenever you want.

And there's a certain level that you achieve that you don't have to try as hard as other players. Once you're aware of your ability and play to maintain it, you really don't have to work as hard to perform at the top of your game. Justin Wong isn't a good example to base much off of because Justin Wong is several years older than me and was the best in the world at Marvel vs Capcom 2 at 17 years old. There aren't really any other players as successful both competitively and financially as Justin Wong.

And having calories to burn is important if you want to perform well, as well as making sure you have no vitamin deficiencies.

As far as the sleep goes, it's absolutely the most elementary common knowledge that sleep is vital to function at the best of your ability. It's not even debatable and there is no point where personal preference comes into play. There is absolutely nothing about a sleep deprived state that is an advantage.

I've played competitively in hundreds of tournaments, in over half a dozen games, for more than a decade. In this time I've witnessed literally hundreds of skilled players dropped from pools and brackets from a clearly reduced ability to perform from lack of sleep. I myself have lost over half a dozen tournament matches from what was clearly sleep deprivation.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/important-sleep-habits

This is pretty basic stuff when it comes to performing in any competition at any level.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord

WUSSUP, Battlecow.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I can't wait till I'm on my first florida job...
When you coming down? You need me to shoot you my number again? If it's in Orlando, we'll try to make it out to one of the tournaments. Even though the last one was last saturday.

@ Kage - Sorry man, but I'm going to have to agree with Chaddd and Renth. There's no possible way you can perform well without any sleep. (I'll give you not having breakfast in the morning, but it's easier to perform with food in your stomach) I told Emilio that I couldn't smoke and play during a tournament for the same reason I need sleep for a tournament. Your brain simply can't function or retain any information aka adapting. Plus, your reaction time suffers greatly; you're pretty much playing like a mindless zombie. Just putting in my two cents. I'm just a techy dumb Ganon from the souf. :3

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Sometimes I feel more motivated and less nervous when I don't sleep as much. Some people function better with having 6 hours of sleep rather than 8-9 hours because they are either used to it or it really helps them better. You can always train yourself under harsh conditions to meet the requirement you want. To me, as long as you understand the way YOUR body works then there shouldn't be any problem, you can do what you want as long as you are aware of subtle things going on inside you.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
When you coming down? You need me to shoot you my number again? If it's in Orlando, we'll try to make it out to one of the tournaments. Even though the last one was last saturday.
There's no telling man, I missed out on a job in panama city beach recently but that wouldn't be much help LOL. There are always beach replenishment jobs going on in FL so it's only a matter of time (a year? who knows). Can't wait to get down there though. SOOOOOOOOOOO MANY DITTOS.

Renth

Smash Hero
there's no telling man, i missed out on a job in panama city beach recently but that wouldn't be much help lol. There are always beach replenishment jobs going on in fl so it's only a matter of time (a year? Who knows). Can't wait to get down there though. Sooooooooooo many dittos.
hey dave how do you win ganon dittos!?

Battlecow

Play to Win
"The scientific method isn't always the right one." is possibly the worst quote I've ever heard.

Science is based on experiences and facts, life isn't some TV show where doubting scientific evidence and proof is how you develop some supernatural ability.

If someone is such a bad player that having the jitters taken away at the cost of their reaction speed and decision making abilities is an advantage, then that player wasn't very good in the first place.

Of the countless players I consider skilled, there hasn't been a single one that wasn't easier to beat when they managed to get no sleep.

If anyone would like to prove me wrong by getting next to no sleep on purpose, please feel free to ignore all biological facts and evidence and make it easier for the rest of us.

There has never and will never exist a competition of skill where slower reactions and worse decision making will help your chances of winning. It's a laughable argument at best.

And anyone hating on Renth clearly doesn't like hearing blunt observations. I find it funny that when people hear or read something they don't like, they immediately attribute it to a personality trait of the person they heard it from. It's as though no one is allowed to have a disagreeable opinion about anything without someone bringing personal attributes into question.
Look, I'm not anti-science or anything. I'm just saying that there are conceivable advantages to getting a less-than-optimal amount of sleep. Maybe you get all hyped-up when you're just a little tired or something, I don't know. What I do know is that claiming that lack of sleep will never benefit you isn't science until you take every relevant factor into account, and that taking that many factors into account is impossible.

Also, "This battlecow kid is a troll" is a blunt observation... how? He's just a douche, man. You probably already know that, though, even if you don't say it, so I'll let it slide. I have douche friends too.

Renth

Smash Hero
Also, "This battlecow kid is a troll" is a blunt observation... how? He's just a douche, man. You probably already know that, though, even if you don't say it, so I'll let it slide. I have douche friends too.

<3 Keep crying baby I love it.

Also, since you seem to feel like i'm a douche if you knew me or talked to anybody who knows me i'm the nicest person you could ever meet. I just enjoy watching babies cry so the more you complain the more it's making me laugh. Keep it up.

edit: find me at apex

chaddd

Smash Lord
Look, I'm not anti-science or anything. I'm just saying that there are conceivable advantages to getting a less-than-optimal amount of sleep. Maybe you get all hyped-up when you're just a little tired or something, I don't know. What I do know is that claiming that lack of sleep will never benefit you isn't science until you take every relevant factor into account, and that taking that many factors into account is impossible.

It's common sense. Conceivable or not, any "advantage" you might have still goes side by side with giving yourself intentional disadvantages. It will never balance out to an actual advantage.

And Renth is my friend, and he's certainly not a douche. If you want to have a serious discussion then you can start by not personally insulting my friends just because they say things you don't like.

spider_sense

Smash Champion

Why wouldn't you want you to play at your best? I can understand playing from lack of sleep because you had to something to do (work, family or just plain tired)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol. A matter of preference I suppose. I respect that though zane.

/back on topic

Chaddd, are you invincible in dittos?

Renth

Smash Hero
Back on topic I had asked a question that never got answered because people decided to call me out on how I act on the forums mad cry baby style. yes Battle-Douche I mean you.

this question is directedly specifically towards Chaddd anyone else credible is welcome to answer if battle homo answers this question in anyway it will be promptly ignored.

anyway, now that hopefully the emotional crying spree is over. I have a very hard time against defensive captain falcons, offensive ones you can predict them flying at your with a n air and use an up angled f tilt or retreating b air and the match up isn't too rough. However, when a Falcon waits for you to come to him for you to make a mistake I find the match up near impossible to win.

Thoughts?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
anyway, now that hopefully the emotional crying spree is over. I have a very hard time against defensive captain falcons, offensive ones you can predict them flying at your with a n air and use an up angled f tilt or retreating b air and the match up isn't too rough. However, when a Falcon waits for you to come to him for you to make a mistake I find the match up near impossible to win.

Thoughts?
Yeah it does get really hard when falcon's play the matchup right, aka as you described it.

Basically from my experience vs falcon(and I've been told by many people that I'm actually good vs Falcon for the most part) I've come to realize it's all about pseudo-aggression. I mean, there's always going to be a time where you decide to crank up the offensive juices when they feel pressured, have a low shield, and are facing the opposite direction from you. But for the most part, it's clever mix-ups outside his shield and changing the timing of the "normally" calculated retreating f-air or b-air.

i.e - Falcon's shielding assuming you're going to try to fair his shield out of range of a range, where he will predict an immediate jab to cover the option of him attacking out of shield. Then he has you in the place he wants to, because if you jab and he's not approaching he'll be able to get in and capitalize there. He'll calculate a roll, and he can just react to that, and then pain ensues.

BUT, if you just don't fair him like the normal urge tells you to do, and instead you land, wait a SPLIT second where he might hesitate or think "hmm I think he's going to try to grab me or outspace a fair or something, I better move" jab him or ftilt him. Of course, properly spaced you have now succeeded in putting addition shield pressure on him by: keeping him trapped in shield a second longer, jabbing, or ftilting hitting the shield, or you've successfully hit him due to a mix up.

Sorry for the lengthy post. But this is one of many mixups, and when you mix that with "the expected stuff" every so often when it seems appropriate, then you should do better in the matchup.

Also remember that if CF is in your face and you know he wants to Nair pressure you, your nair can trade with him. This is not to be abused because if you guess wrong, he puts in on you, but is still just another option that you can whip out to make him always be second guessing what you're doing.

Renth

Smash Hero
=

Also remember that if CF is in your face and you know he wants to Nair pressure you, your nair can trade with him. This is not to be abused because if you guess wrong, he puts in on you, but is still just another option that you can whip out to make him always be second guessing what you're doing.

I like that i'll consider throwing that in, good read evidently you've been in this spot before.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I like that i'll consider throwing that in, good read evidently you've been in this spot before.
I have been many times. It does feel almost helpless alot of times, especially if Ganon gets flustered and tries to attack and become a static aggressor.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So do I, if you're talking about defense as a tendency to retreat lol

If you're going to challenge falcon's nair with ganon's nair, you have to have your spacing right. I hate using nairs sometimes in situations where it is likely I could lose the exchange or trade hits, mainly because it's harder to DI (just in case you lose the exchange) when trying to nair imo.

Battlecow

Play to Win
And Renth is my friend, and he's certainly not a douche. If you want to have a serious discussion then you can start by not personally insulting my friends just because they say things you don't like.
Wait, wait. This is too good. I "personally insult your friends just because they say things I don't like"? That "thing I didn't like" was a straight-up PERSONAL INSULT, Einstein. No other way of looking at it. So what you're saying is:

"you can start by not personally insulting my friends just because they personally insult you."

That makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and why don't you take a look at your friend's recent posts vis-a-vis me? Pretty mature, are they? Really a class act, that Renth?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Wait, wait. This is too good. I "personally insult your friends just because they say things I don't like"? That "thing I didn't like" was a straight-up PERSONAL INSULT, Einstein. No other way of looking at it. So what you're saying is:

"you can start by not personally insulting my friends just because they personally insult you."

That makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and why don't you take a look at your friend's recent posts vis-a-vis me? Pretty mature, are they? Really a class act, that Renth?
Go away.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
looool ganon players can just Fair other people out of their thread

chaddd

Smash Lord
alksndakjdnaskjn
Calling someone a 'troll' on an internet forum isn't even in the same league as calling someone a douchebag.

Lol. A matter of preference I suppose. I respect that though zane.

/back on topic

Chaddd, are you invincible in dittos?
I used to be. Gotta get back into it.

He used to be, until the warrior. =P
Did I four stock you 3 times or 4? I forget.

=P

Pi

Smash Hero
troll on the web, nice irl?

ITT: keyboard warriors

also protip: just because someone isn't a douche to you doesn't mean they're not a douche.

Top Bottom