• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm back, baby!!!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Seems like the Sonic forums get a lot of topics locked in record time.

I hope this doesn't get locked. :(

Sooooooooo

I'm kinda getting back into Brawl
I play Marth as my main now (hush)
But I think I wanna pick up Sonic on the side again, since he's the only reason I put up with Brawl as long as I did, originally.

Are there any tricks/techniques that I absolutely MUST KNOW!?!? Any huge changes to his metagame since late 2k8/early2k9?

X, Imma be takin' your spot as "top Sonic" in like... a week. Watch out!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Marth is awful in Brawl.

:093:

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
yeah ur not taking that spot anytiime soon
Didn't you guys get ***** by X?

Okay, juuuuust makin' sure.

That spot's as good as mine.

PEOPLE, ARE THERE ANY USEFUL THINGS I SHOULD BE LEARNING WITH SONIC? I MEAN, I LIKE PLAYING LIKE IT'S 2008, BUT SERIOUSLY, HASN'T HIS METAGAME EVOLVED AT ALL?

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Just the fact the we realize that gimmicks can only work on certain players and chars. You gotta bring out your player skill and not get hit. Not only that, but some matches vs top players can only be won by timeout.

well, thats my opinion on what changed.
WB Zeal. XD

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Welcome back IOZ, well Sonic's metagame is more define since then however still no ground braking AT's, people just play Sonic differently. ASC and SDSC are still sex though.

Edit2: Reopened, some info guys :p

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Just the fact the we realize that gimmicks can only work on certain players and chars. You gotta bring out your player skill and not get hit. Not only that, but some matches vs top players can only be won by timeout.

well, thats my opinion on what changed.
WB Zeal. XD
tyty

What are the MUs to time people out on? I figure putting 50% on ICs and then running away for 8 min is a pretty good strat, since getting infinited really puts the pain. D:

People <3 bair yet?

Welcome back IOZ, well Sonic's metagame is more define since then however still no ground braking AT's, people just play Sonic differently. ASC and SDSC are still sex though.

Edit2: Reopened, some info guys :p
Tyty

Any matches I absolutely HAVE to watch of Sonic?

Hrm... I guess I'll list some things, and people can tell me what's right/wrong:

-Bair as damage builder/all-purpose move (but then you can't kiiiill)
-Dthrow tech-chases are done for (most good players can tech consistently on reaction?)
-Is fair still used, or do people SDI outta it all the time nowadays? I used to use it to drag people down for bair/dair/spring/whatever spikes. Does it still work for that?
-Ftilt is still pretty much his best ground move, right?
-Using fsmash as a punisher/damage builder instead of as a kill move (use bair/dair, instead!). I used to do this near the end of my Sonic days. If they're below 60%, I see no reason not to abuse fsmash for damage, since it'll prolly be completely refreshed by the time they're @ kill percents
-No one uses the Side-b>fsj>spring anymore for set-ups. Why? Is it just cuz they can DI outta it an' stuff, or whut? What about sideb>fsj>dair, for quick damage/move refresh?
-Nair's still pretty much crap, and reserved for gimping Snake/random people, amirite?
-Dtilt > grab is still effective, amirite?
-Uthrow>utilt still seeing any use, or non?
-Dair's sidespike is still being used, ja?
-Bthrow>usmash trap... Does anyone ever use this (low %s) aside from me? I talked to X about it the last time he was in CO, and he'd never heard of it. You can also do bthrow>regrab if they block usmash, but most people don't, for some reason.
-Laying springs below people and following up with uair/bair/dair=hotness still, rite?
-Is dash attack usable or not?
-Jabs are pretty much pointless, right?

I think that's enough to start with. Lemme know what's wrong and all that, and tell me what you youngster Sonics do nowadays.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
People <3 bair yet?
idk what you talkin' bout son, good Sonic's always knew bair was money.

-Bair as damage builder/all-purpose move (but then you can't kiiiill)
YUP!
-Dthrow tech-chases are done for (most good players can tech consistently on reaction?)
Not that many people actually tech it...lol xD
-Is fair still used, or do people SDI outta it all the time nowadays? I used to use it to drag people down for bair/dair/spring/whatever spikes. Does it still work for that?
Fair is still hot. Use it a lot. (rhyme ftw). It's a great damage racker.
-Ftilt is still pretty much his best ground move, right?
Yeah, unfortunately it's still pretty punishable if shielded, but the high tendency to shield poke is a lifesaver. Dtilt is probaby the safest of his ground moves.
-Using fsmash as a punisher/damage builder instead of as a kill move (use bair/dair, instead!). I used to do this near the end of my Sonic days. If they're below 60%, I see no reason not to abuse fsmash for damage, since it'll prolly be completely refreshed by the time they're @ kill percents
I generally save Fsmash, except at lower percents like, below 40-50% just cuz that's how I roll >_> Although most of your kills should be from gimps/edgeguards.
-No one uses the Side-b>fsj>spring anymore for set-ups. Why? Is it just cuz they can DI outta it an' stuff, or whut? What about sideb>fsj>dair, for quick damage/move refresh?
Those setups are moreso "gimmicks" nowadays :/
-Nair's still pretty much crap, and reserved for gimping Snake/random people, amirite?
Nair should almost never gimp, haha. Nair is still awful, it's only good as a GTFO move if someone is all up in yer grill.
-Dtilt > grab is still effective, amirite?
Yes!
-Uthrow>utilt still seeing any use, or non?
It works occasionally at low percents, especially on heavy chars/fast fallers. Same with Usmash :D
-Dair's sidespike is still being used, ja?
Mhm. Some people know that if they DI up, the "spike" is avoided, but most don't.
-Bthrow>usmash trap... Does anyone ever use this (low %s) aside from me? I talked to X about it the last time he was in CO, and he'd never heard of it. You can also do bthrow>regrab if they block usmash, but most people don't, for some reason.
That sometimes works, it's more of a "Reading your opponent" kind of deal, ya know?
-Laying springs below people and following up with uair/bair/dair=hotness still, rite?
**** YEAH *****!!
-Is dash attack usable or not?
Yes, but don't do it at really low percents, because almost every character can hit you in the ending lag with an aerial. Also, don't do it near a ledge >_>
-Jabs are pretty much pointless, right?
Jab is really awful, unless you need a really quick punisher. It's still his fastest ground move. I like to throw in jab>grab mindgames every now and then though :D it's nice, haha
My stuff in "plum", haha

Hope that helped :D You seemed to have a pretty good grip on Sonic already, hah. I don't really have much more to add, but just keep in mind that overuse of ASC cancels and SDR charge cancels are sooooo last year (RATS) xD it's an occasional thing now.

IMO Sonic's most useful moves are Uair, Fair, and Bair. Those will be your damage rackers/jugglers/spacers/sex

I'm tired and can't really spit out anything else, lol. This should be a good start though xD

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You don't get on MSN anymore do you? We never got to GGPO, even though 3S is the truth and you proly play ST iirc. You play TvC at all? I feel like I've seen you on SRK.

So ambitious I tell ya, some people. Its weird to see people still playing this game as if its not 2 years old, which you'll probably be doing in a literal way.

Just play the most annoying and safe Sonic you can possibly think of and you'll already be top 50%. Learn your matchups and thats top 20%, endure 30 minute sets of Brawl top 10%. Top 5%...pick up a secondary.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I fux with GGPO.
Not so much 3s.

lol @ me feeding the offtopic.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I definitely forgot about Ghrur's existence.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Omg lolol

I always forget about these threads.

Been trying to play Smash recently, but no car/wii makes it pretty hard to give Brawl a go.

My Sonic's terrible, but ehhhhhhhh, whocares.

In other news, Project M? :D

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic's awful in PM. Neko should be ashamed for *******izing an already atrocious moveset. :applejack:

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Sonic in p:m is ok

If your not a sonic main trying to main or pick up sonic in p:m that is.

Like a bad Star

Smash Rookie
Hey IoZ, wb. I'm back too although I never really posted as much and made a new user. I was Spin Dashie and remember the days Malcolm and Orochi would show us all these new sonic ATs. I don't expect anyone to remember any of this though.

Top Bottom