• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Grab + Aether

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I tend to play around with Ike a lot cause he's fun, and I do experiment with him once in awhile.

One combo I like to use in a battle is Grab > Pummel > D-throw > Aether, and I've used it every once in awhile.

So today I thought, what if this is spammable?

So I played with it, and it turns out that in my current studies, this is actually a pretty good combo to rack up damage with, and it's very effective against large characters.

Sadly, I only tried this against CPUs, but tonight I'll be heading over a friend's house and he told me to bring Brawl, so I'll actually be able to test this combo against actual people.

If this does work effectively, then this could raise Ike's game up quite well, I believe.

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
It's been discussed before. It doesn't really work and isn't a true combo, unfortunately. Would be slick if it was, but no!

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Unfortunately it's too easy to DI or air dodge from the down throw away from the Aether. Use the Aether when people are trying to approach you from the air instead. Also try up tilt > Aether at low percentages. So they're not sent up high enough to DI away.

XACE-K

Smash Master
This is easy to DI out of and everybody knew this since Brawl came out. Use what Chis said or u-throw + u-air.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yeah... You're able to DI out of it... Sometimes you can get it off though if the other person isn't thinking... xD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Exactly what Colaya said, I do it when people aren't expecting it, and you could also do an up-throw which I believe has less knockback when you still want to try the grab into Aether combo when Down-throw has too much knockback.

But yeah really this has already been found, and although believed to be very useful, it's not practical with most opponents who know about it. :(

•Col•

Smash Champion
What's really good about it though, is that when your opponent knows about it and you bait them to airdodge cuz they think you're gonna Aether... x]]] Then you U-air them when the airdodge ends...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wow, I learned something new today I guess.

Guess if Aether becomes too predictable (like it isn't already), just use something else.

I salute you Colaya.

•Col•

Smash Champion

Guess if Aether becomes too predictable (like it isn't already), just use something else.

I salute you Colaya.
Lol, thanks? Baiting airdodges can lead to many kills for Ike... xP

XACE-K

Smash Master

I salute you Colaya.
WTF, I said u-air months ago. Curse you Colaya, stealing my ideas :laugh:.

•Col•

Smash Champion
WTF, I said u-air months ago. Curse you Colaya, stealing my ideas :laugh:.
Lol, I didn't even see you say that... Sorry? xD I was talking about when people airdodge though... So yeah, w/e... <.<;;

XACE-K

Smash Master
Lol, I didn't even see you say that... Sorry? xD I was talking about when people airdodge though... So yeah, w/e... <.<;;
It's okay, I'm just tired of people thinking d-throw to Aether= super Ike god combo. Use mindgames people instead of doing things anybody can do.

•Col•

Smash Champion
It's okay, I'm just tired of people thinking d-throw to Aether= super Ike god combo. Use mindgames people instead of doing things anybody can do.
Well... It's kind of is a super Ike god combo.... Considering it's like his only one... xD J/k... Anyway, a fast falled n-air to jab combo the best... >.>

Anyway, yeah you're right... Mindgames are way more important... Especially when it comes to Ike, since he has like no combos at all... D:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Talking about mindgames, would this work?
Bair > Forward tilt
or,
Bair > pivot grab
So if they spot dodge the Bair, they'll get hit by the forward tilt. Or shield it and get grabbed. Is this a good idea?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Doesn't Bair have like a considerable ending lag behind it, which would kind of make the above statement not really practical in a real fight?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I think there's a way to shorten the lag...Not sure though, i'll need to get my Wii repaired before I can test it...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If there is a way to shorten Bair's ending lag please tell me, because I still think that the mentioned "combo" really isn't a combo if it doesn't connect within millaseconds after the previous strike. O.o

•Col•

Smash Champion
If there is a way to shorten Bair's ending lag please tell me, because I still think that the mentioned "combo" really isn't a combo if it doesn't connect within millaseconds after the previous strike. O.o
I think it has less lag if you land right after you do it or something (Don't take my word on this, I haven't played Brawl in a while)... But it still has way too much lag to perform a pivot grab directly after...

XACE-K

Smash Master
IASA frames. Jump and FF a b-air but make sure the hit comes out just before you hit the ground. The hit comes out and the ending lag gets shortened.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
XACE-K, you got that from my thread in the Sonic form didn't you...That's the technique I was unsure of. I hope it works, and it's called 'Bair dive'...

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Was the level of the CPU above 7? If it was, it's probably one of the biggest combos Ike can do on a normal basis. I'd just roll out of it, and punish Ike from behind, before he aethers. I'd rather do nair followed by aether or usmash, or if the opponent is above 100% damage, rush and uair or fair.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
IASA frames. Jump and FF a b-air but make sure the hit comes out just before you hit the ground. The hit comes out and the ending lag gets shortened.
I don't understand half of what you said but yeah thanks for telling me, I also now know how to get lagless landing Bairs.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Bair has as much ending lag as F smash wtf? I honestly believe you've all gone insane.

as for the D throw to aether, well if you fall for that I think you should stop playing smash and dedicate your self to jumping off buildings.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
So...does that 'combo' I suggested earlier work? You know, the Bair > pivot grab/foward tilt work? If it works it could be useful...

•Col•

Smash Champion
So...does that 'combo' I suggested earlier work? You know, the Bair > pivot grab/foward tilt work? If it works it could be useful...
I'm 95% sure it wouldn't work. Even with the decreased lag, the b-air still takes too long... Plus, even at low percents, the bair would hit them to far away to follow up, unless it was degraded a lot or something... ._. So basically the only way it'd work is if like... if the opponent DI'ed toward you when you have a degraded b-air, and then they just stand there directly after so you could f-tilt them... Then yeah... xD

Again, I'll say it one more time--I don't have my Wii right now, so this is just based off my memory... I'm still fairly certain that it wouldnt work...

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
No Colaya, I mean like if they spot dodge or shield the Bair, you can punish them for it. If you land the Bair thats good! Forward tilt counters the spot dodge and the pivot grab the shield.

Off topic: Skies of Arcadia was a great game (your signature).

•Col•

Smash Champion
No Colaya, I mean like if they spot dodge or shield the Bair, you can punish them for it. If you land the Bair thats good! Forward tilt counters the spot dodge and the pivot grab the shield.

Off topic: Skies of Arcadia was a great game (your signature).
Lol... I think that the spot dodge actually ends before you recover from your bair lag... xD That MIGHT work, I dunno... I still think they have time to attack... If they just shield it though, they have plenty of time to react...

And yes, Skies of Arcadia was a great game. =P

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Okay, wather it had less lag or no lag, I actually got to put the faste Bair to use in this 3-way FFA I just had over wifi. I was just all over the stage with it, one guy would be over the side of the stage, BAM! Bair to death, and the guy below me waiting to punish me would get a suprise because with the less-laggy bair I could follow up with an AAA combo. I still find this as a very useful tool. :(

•Col•

Smash Champion
Okay, wather it had less lag or no lag, I actually got to put the faste Bair to use in this 3-way FFA I just had over wifi. I was just all over the stage with it, one guy would be over the side of the stage, BAM! Bair to death, and the guy below me waiting to punish me would get a suprise because with the less-laggy bair I could follow up with an AAA combo. I still find this as a very useful tool. :(
Of course it's useful... I was just saying that it wasn't lagless.... xP

You do know about how his n-air cancels though, right? <.< Now THAT'S lagless... You just have to land before he completes the entire swing... You can do that by short hopping it, or doing a full hopped one with a fast fall... You can hit people with it and combo into the AAA combo at low %'s... =P

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
It has nothing to do with IASA frames, bair autocancels if you do it on ascent of a short hop. Meaning if you short hop and hit back air as you are rising, it will end before/as your feet hit the ground, and therefore there will be no landing lag at all.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
^ Troof.

My personal favorite use of the b-air is buffering a turn out of shield, then b-air to follow-up jab using a pivot slide/craq walk/whatever TF you wanna call it.

The same thing can be done without shielding, just anticipating a dash attack or anything at short range and using a b-air buffered out of a turn if you don't jam over too quickly (think tilts). I'm almost positive it's just as fast, 'cuz if you do it right you never see the turn actually animate. *confused face*

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, I already know. DI makes a HUGE difference with this combo, as I've seen when I went over to my friend's. Hell, I saw it for myself when my friend tried to use Ike (he was pissed at me for beating his *** so much with Ike), and tried to use the same method.

Back to the drawing board.

Top Bottom