• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ike was awesome in Brawl with his smash attacks, although I think I'd rather those be weakened if it meant for him to run faster and whatnot. I get he is a heavy character but idk.

Please Nintendo put Ike in smash4!!!!!!! Ike was very good dont know why he wont be attending it.
Haha I know how much you want him. But confused about the second part of that, he hasn't been deconfirmed?

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
They haven`t said he isn't attending. Where did you get that from?
Oh i thought he wasn't attending. My bad.
Ike was awesome in Brawl with his smash attacks, although I think I'd rather those be weakened if it meant for him to run faster and whatnot. I get he is a heavy character but idk.

Haha I know how much you want him. But confused about the second part of that, he hasn't been deconfirmed?
My bad. I thought he was deconfirmed.
His father, who works at Nintendo.
O_o

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Those people are the people that think chrom is replacing ike because of this so called pattern although it only happened once and they were replacing a clone
Oh thanks for the heads up tho! ^-^

Only one thing i hated about Ike was there were toooooo many ike noobs in basic brawl!!!!! Them noobs suck with ike and don't do any combos! They got on my nerves! Everytime i play Basic Brawl there is at least 1 ike in every match! And especially the ike noobs only do 1 attack!

But everything else about him was awesome!!!

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I'm all for a FE newcomer, but I think Ike was pretty cool. I'd be sad if he wasn't in Sm4sh...

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm all for a FE newcomer, but I think Ike was pretty cool. I'd be sad if he wasn't in Sm4sh...
I honestly don't think there's any lords that are more iconic, popular or unique as ike and he is one of 2 FE characters to have more than one game along with marth

LF2K

Floor Diver
I don't get why people say Ike has a high likelihood of being cut. He's probably the most popular Lord besides Marth himself.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
For Fire Emblem, Marth and Ike are the 2 most important Lords. Not only for being in Smash. Marth has had 4 games all to his own, alluded to in Awakening, and in... Gaiden I believe it's in his same realm.

Ike has been the main Lord in 2 games. No one else (other than Marthy) have that honor. The only Lords to appear in more than 1 game other than these 2 are Leif and Roy. Roy as a cameo in 7 and Leif as a playable unit in his first game, Lord in the second.

If Ike's not in, there's a big issue going on.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Ike fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Ike is depressingly low and needs some serious help if he's going to make it. Could you take the time to vote for him (and others)?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
For Fire Emblem, Marth and Ike are the 2 most important Lords. Not only for being in Smash. Marth has had 4 games all to his own, alluded to in Awakening, and in... Gaiden I believe it's in his same realm.

Ike has been the main Lord in 2 games. No one else (other than Marthy) have that honor. The only Lords to appear in more than 1 game other than these 2 are Leif and Roy. Roy as a cameo in 7 and Leif as a playable unit in his first game, Lord in the second.

If Ike's not in, there's a big issue going on.
Not to mention he's the only Lord not of royal blood which makes him all the more unique.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Not to mention he's the only Lord not of royal blood which makes him all the more unique.
and from a design standpoint he's really different from marth, especially in radiant dawn where he's much bulkier. Roy is just a red-haired marth and chrom is marth

Commander

Smash Ace
and from a design standpoint he's really different from marth, especially in radiant dawn where he's much bulkier. Roy is just a red-haired marth and chrom is marth
That isn't true at all for either Roy or Chrom. Both can very easily be given completely unique moveset from Marth, Chrom especially since he has the largest amount of in game animations to pick from. Both Marth's and Ike's movesets are based on in game animations either from them or from classes that it would make sense for them to copy (Marth borrows heavily from the myrmidon class while Ike borrows from the Black Knight and Greil). Even their jumping animations are accurate to their in game appearance. I can think of a completely unique moveset for Chrom in seconds where the only overlap with Marth or Ike would be counter. People who say Chrom would be a clone of anyone simply know nothing of how smash bros. is designed and know nothing of Chrom.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
That isn't true at all for either Roy or Chrom. Both can very easily be given completely unique moveset from Marth, Chrom especially since he has the largest amount of in game animations to pick from. Both Marth's and Ike's movesets are based on in game animations either from them or from classes that it would make sense for them to copy (Marth borrows heavily from the myrmidon class while Ike borrows from the Black Knight and Greil). Even their jumping animations are accurate to their in game appearance. I can think of a completely unique moveset for Chrom in seconds where the only overlap with Marth or Ike would be counter. People who say Chrom would be a clone of anyone simply know nothing of how smash bros. is designed and know nothing of Chrom.
He would be similar to marth though, theres really nothing about him that makes him unique same same with roy, at least Ike has some unique stuff being the bigger, stronger one

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I am curious to see if Ike will have his RD design. The fact that Marth got a makeover seems to suggest so.

I personally hope not though since I prefer his younger PoR look, plus if Ike gains the muscle from RD as well, I fear he'll become slower, which is already a problem for him in the first place.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Minor correction: Seliph appears briefly in Thracia in CH20. But your point still stands, Ike's pretty unique in having a leading role in more than one game.

Not to mention he's the only Lord other than Marth to get a confirmed descendant in Awakening.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Minor correction: Seliph appears briefly in Thracia in CH20. But your point still stands, Ike's pretty unique in having a leading role in more than one game.

Not to mention he's the only Lord other than Marth to get a confirmed descendant in Awakening.
Isn't Priam Ike's descendant?

Commander

Smash Ace
He would be similar to marth though, theres really nothing about him that makes him unique same same with roy, at least Ike has some unique stuff being the bigger, stronger one
No he wouldn't. Marth in smash bros. is a myrmidon. This is because Marth has high growth in luck and speed, like a myrmidon. Chrom, like Ike, is much closer to the Hero class. It makes no sense for Chrom to do anything like Marth because the only thing they have in common is blue hair. Did you people even see Awakening's animations? Chrom has a completely unique movement style. Here are some moves that would be unique to Chrom and come from his animations that Marth and Ike can't even come close too:

Fair: Pokes his sword slightly in front and below him. The hit box is similar in shape to Sheik's fair, but has much less knock back. This would kinda look like he pose he has on the box art.
Fsmash: Long range stab(can be angled), it is similar to Roy's ftilt in P:M but much more powerful and more laggy.
Nar: Spins like MetaKnight's nair(not sure on hit box properties).
Ftilt: Swings his sword up and towards himself. Hit sends people up and away. Can be used to block spacies side specials like Marth's jab in Melee or Ike's utilt in P:M but the knockback keeps it from just gimping them.
Up Special: Jumps high into the air and comes crashing down with his sword(similar to Dedede's). Hit box only exists when coming down, it spikes, an has a small hitbox on the ground when he lands. Cannot be canceled like Dedede's and does not have as much height but has great horizontal mobility.

I could go on with other things but I think the idea comes across fine. There is also a lot of room for him to borrow moves from other classes or make up moves that make sense to fit him. The only thing Marth and Chrom have in common is blue hair and the blood of Anri. As for Roy, he too has nothing in common with Marth in game. Their animations are totally different and it is also well known that Roy has poor stats in everything so it doesn't make sense to give him the myrmidon moveset either like it does for Marth. He was made a clone in Melee because Melee was a rushed game.

I feel like I'm the only one who pays attention to how smash bros. characters are actually designed, especially with regards to keeping them canon.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
No he wouldn't. Marth in smash bros. is a myrmidon. This is because Marth has high growth in luck and speed, like a myrmidon. Chrom, like Ike, is much closer to the Hero class. It makes no sense for Chrom to do anything like Marth because the only thing they have in common is blue hair. Did you people even see Awakening's animations? Chrom has a completely unique movement style. Here are some moves that would be unique to Chrom and come from his animations that Marth and Ike can't even come close too:

Fair: Pokes his sword slightly in front and below him. The hit box is similar in shape to Sheik's fair, but has much less knock back. This would kinda look like he pose he has on the box art.
Fsmash: Long range stab(can be angled), it is similar to Roy's ftilt in P:M but much more powerful and more laggy.
Nar: Spins like MetaKnight's nair(not sure on hit box properties).
Ftilt: Swings his sword up and towards himself. Hit sends people up and away. Can be used to block spacies side specials like Marth's jab in Melee or Ike's utilt in P:M but the knockback keeps it from just gimping them.
Up Special: Jumps high into the air and comes crashing down with his sword(similar to Dedede's). Hit box only exists when coming down, it spikes, an has a small hitbox on the ground when he lands. Cannot be canceled like Dedede's and does not have as much height but has great horizontal mobility.

I could go on with other things but I think the idea comes across fine. There is also a lot of room for him to borrow moves from other classes or make up moves that make sense to fit him. The only thing Marth and Chrom have in common is blue hair and the blood of Anri. As for Roy, he too has nothing in common with Marth in game. Their animations are totally different and it is also well known that Roy has poor stats in everything so it doesn't make sense to give him the myrmidon moveset either like it does for Marth. He was made a clone in Melee because Melee was a rushed game.

I feel like I'm the only one who pays attention to how smash bros. characters are actually designed, especially with regards to keeping them canon.
But as a whole he would feel similar to marth

Commander

Smash Ace
But as a whole he would feel similar to marth
WTF could possibly make him similar to Marth? HE doesn't have a tipper hit box. His meta wouldn't be based on gimps. He doesn't look or act like Marth at all. None of his moves I listed have a single thin in common with Marth. Seriously, what could lead you to this thought process?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
WTF could possibly make him similar to Marth? HE doesn't have a tipper hit box. His meta wouldn't be based on gimps. He doesn't look or act like Marth at all. None of his moves I listed have a single thin in common with Marth. Seriously, what could lead you to this thought process?
The fact that he's his descendant, uses the same sword and has a similar build and appearance too him, Even if his moves were different what new does he actually bring to the table that makes him so different? We've seen something with each newcomer so far like little macs completely punching moveset and KO meter, rosalina's 2 character gimmick etc

Commander

Smash Ace
The fact that he's his descendant, uses the same sword and has a similar build and appearance too him, Even if his moves were different what new does he actually bring to the table that makes him so different? We've seen something with each newcomer so far like little macs completely punching moveset and KO meter, rosalina's 2 character gimmick etc
Gimmicks do not make a character interesting. Moveset and hitbox properties do. Literally everything would be different in the list I gave. All of the things you say about Chrom continue to be completely and utterly false. They're Falchions are completely different in their designs and use(Have you ever even seen Awakening?) and Chrom does not have anything in common with his build or appearance with Marth other than blue hair. I don't understand how Marth's slim figure has anything remotely close to Chrom's muscularity. If anything Chrom has a similar build and appearance to Ike and even then the two characters carry themselves differently so there is no issue with that. Why am I even arguing this? Appearance doesn't even have anything to do with how a character feels in game, only the properties of their moves do. Falco and Fox in Melee are the best example of this. Despite being clones, Falco and Fox have incredibily different combo and pressure games and do not control or feel alike despite going through the same motions and animations. I don't think you have any understanding of how the design of characters in a fighting game work at all.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Gimmicks do not make a character interesting. Moveset and hitbox properties do. Literally everything would be different in the list I gave. All of the things you say about Chrom continue to be completely and utterly false. They're Falchions are completely different in their designs and use(Have you ever even seen Awakening?) and Chrom does not have anything in common with his build or appearance with Marth other than blue hair. I don't understand how Marth's slim figure has anything remotely close to Chrom's muscularity. If anything Chrom has a similar build and appearance to Ike and even then the two characters carry themselves differently so there is no issue with that. Why am I even arguing this? Appearance doesn't even have anything to do with how a character feels in game, only the properties of their moves do. Falco and Fox in Melee are the best example of this. Despite being clones, Falco and Fox have incredibily different combo and pressure games and do not control or feel alike despite going through the same motions and animations. I don't think you have any understanding of how the design of characters in a fighting game work at all.
I just find that it's not really worth the effort as we already have plenty of characters who can or already has a role that Chrom would feel rather redundant. I'm not saying swords are redundant, but that styles similar to others are. Plus, the semi-clones are really important to their series, unlike Chrom who's from a series with tons of different options for representation from other lords who are just as popular, and the really unlikely standard units. Plus, he isn't the most interesting FE lord, possibly the most boring, next to Eliwood. Both of which couldn't separate themselves from Marth too well, in many ways. Personally, I would be fine with just having Marth and Ike still.

Plus, this is the Ike thread not the Chrom thread, so this isn't the proper place for a discussion of Chrom's uniqueness possibilities.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm not saying gimmicks, I'm saying each character should be really unique and not added for the sake of being recent and new

Commander

Smash Ace
I just find that it's not really worth the effort as we already have plenty of characters who can or already has a role that Chrom would feel rather redundant. I'm not saying swords are redundant, but that styles similar to others are. Plus, the semi-clones are really important to their series, unlike Chrom who's from a series with tons of different options for representation from other lords who are just as popular, and the really unlikely standard units. Plus, he isn't the most interesting FE lord, possibly the most boring, next to Eliwood. Both of which couldn't separate themselves from Marth too well, in many ways. Personally, I would be fine with just having Marth and Ike still.

Plus, this is the Ike thread not the Chrom thread, so this isn't the proper place for a discussion of Chrom's uniqueness possibilities.
Most characters in smash do not it any established roles in fighters, or there is a lot of redundant roles being filled in different ways. Samus and Link are both zoning projectile characters, but no one would ever say they are similar or redundant. Megaman is adding yet another projectile based zoning character, yet no one minds. There is no shudo character despite most fighters having them. There are very few characters that are important to the FE series other than Marth and Ike(both having the most games and most DLC appearances). You can't say which lords are popular or important. Ike was not popular with Japan yet IS clearly felt he was important despite this. Many Lords have much less going for them in terms of uniqe moves(Leif, Eliwood, Seliph, etc.) or even being playable in Smash(Sigurd), though Chrom does not have those limitations. Chrom is also notable for being the Lord of the final culmination game of the series, or at least what was supposed to be the final game. Also Sakurai clearly does not care for popularity when he adds characters like G&W and Ice Climbers. Whether or not Chrom is interesting is completely subjective; I actually liked him and I think most FE fans have a negative view of him because of nostalgia.

I agree with you on Marth and Ike alone being fine, but I would be excited about another character joining the mix that has interesting properties I'd like to play with, and I don't think anyone but Chrom could have those properties. I wouldn't have gone off on this tangent if people didn't just go on spouting things about character design when they clearly know nothing about it.

I don't think there is much to say about Ike in SSB4 other than I hope he can jump cancel quick draw and that his a little faster. P:M's sweet spot system is interesting but I'm not sure if that is necessary to make Ike fun and interesting even though I do like it.

I'm not saying gimmicks, I'm saying each character should be really unique and not added for the sake of being recent and new
When did I say he should be added for being recent and new? I only brought up that he has interesting qualities that could make for a unique and interesting smash character. I even pointed out that no other character in Nintendo's roster could have his move set.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
When did I say he should be added for being recent and new? I only brought up that he has interesting qualities that could make for a unique and interesting smash character. I even pointed out that no other character in Nintendo's roster could have his move set.
I never said that's why you want him in, I'm saying thats why people want him in and to be honest at least to me he doesn't feel unique in the slightest almost any other fire emblem character could take his place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom