• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'd actually anticipate it being filled with things like trees and rocks, while the stage itself consists mostly of a small island in the center of the river with deep parts of the river on both sides, so it wouldn't be a walk-off stage at all. In the background you could hear the war raging on and perhaps see some fighting.
Only if the water behaved like Great Bay, i.e., you fell through it like it wasn't there.

XionKai

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering...
Would they nerfed Ike, in SSBU. just like in brawl?
I'm pretty sure nooone wants that, and same for me, either.
:c

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Have him go half the distance with Quick Draw and then shoot out a sword beam that goes the remainder of the old move.

Solved.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I've been wondering...
Would they nerfed Ike, in SSBU. just like in brawl?
I'm pretty sure nooone wants that, and same for me, either.
:c
I doubt Ike will be nerfed if they have already said they are making a game for both competitive and casual players alike.

I say this because Ike's design philosophy of really slow and really strong becomes useless within a month of the game's release, and only a handful of his attacks will ever hit players in 29/30 situations after they know what he is capable of. I estimate his attack speed and power will be better balanced for the majority of his attacks so he is much faster, but a little weaker, though he'll still keep some of his heavy-hitters like Eruption.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Only if the water behaved like Great Bay, i.e., you fell through it like it wasn't there.
I could see it working that way if it was a raging river. If its just a stream, 'eh, probably not. Mainly because of the fact that every stage now uses regular water. But its still not the same as a purely walk-off stage.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I think they'll keep the strong/slow ratio pretty much the same, but they'll probably make him more versatile. better recovery, better OOS options, etc.

XionKai

Smash Cadet
I doubt Ike will be nerfed if they have already said they are making a game for both competitive and casual players alike.

I say this because Ike's design philosophy of really slow and really strong becomes useless within a month of the game's release, and only a handful of his attacks will ever hit players in 29/30 situations after they know what he is capable of. I estimate his attack speed and power will be better balanced for the majority of his attacks so he is much faster, but a little weaker, though he'll still keep some of his heavy-hitters like Eruption.
I see, will he be like, Pro. M!Ike? for ssbu?

Hong

The Strongest
I think they'll keep the strong/slow ratio pretty much the same, but they'll probably make him more versatile. better recovery, better OOS options, etc.
Existing information so far would suggest the opposite in regards to his recovery. They're actually play-testing the game this time, and on neutral stages no less. I don't think Ike will be as awful as he were in Brawl
I see, will he be like, Pro. M!Ike? for ssbu?
I wouldn't say that.

A lot of the changes so far, such as Donkey Kong's new dash attack, happens to be like what they did with P:M, but that is just because it is the more sensible option. This time they will be more sensible and hopefully more intelligent about Ike's design, though I don't think they'll necessary go with the P:M "Captain Falcon with a sword" approach. We'll see, though.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Existing information so far would suggest the opposite in regards to his recovery. They're actually play-testing the game this time, and on neutral stages no less. I don't think Ike will be as awful as he were in BrawlI wouldn't say that.

A lot of the changes so far, such as Donkey Kong's new dash attack, happens to be like what they did with P:M, but that is just because it is the more sensible option. This time they will be more sensible and hopefully more intelligent about Ike's design, though I don't think they'll necessary go with the P:M "Captain Falcon with a sword" approach. We'll see, though.
just because it looks the same, doesn't mean it acts the same ;)
exhibit A: Shine in melee vs. shine in brawl
exhibit B: IC/G&W/Sheik d-air in melee vs. in brawl

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I do have faith in Bandai Namco, but Viola just seemed a teensy bit broken to me in SC5. But you can't win em all, I suppose, and having just one slightly broken character isn't a big deal.
Technically, the battle director of the Gundam Vs series is helping on this game, and that series is very balanced for 2v2. 1v1 was a bit questionable, but that made sense.

Hong

The Strongest

Now, while it is a bummer we get two very similar stages from Fire Emblem, at least this way, each version of Smash Bros will have an arena!

Hong

The Strongest
Just going to throw this out there: It's not out of the question that we could receive an additional stage on one or both versions.

Awakening really put Fire Emblem up there. It's no longer a generic henchmen among Nintendo's ranks of IPs, but certainly a mini-boss.

Also, Radiant Dawn, while only one game, was one hell of a lot to happen. What was it... 30 some chapters? Don't hold your breath, but don't write it off, either.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I do think this was a better idea than Castle Siege though.

I'm not sure about getting two Fire Emblem stages, but I won't count out the possibility.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Coliseum is a pretty sexy stage, even if there were others I would have preferred. I think it translated pretty well to an HD screen.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's a fool's errand, lad.

Like Castle Siege's Tellius references, I expect nothing but inspirations from multiple entries, with some added flair you'll find nowhere else.
Thank goodness for FDs.
Actually, not really. I've checked it out; the arena looks almost identical to the GBA arenas. Its got a bit of added flair, but as a whole the design is almost identical to the GBA arenas. Even if you compare Shadow Dragon, Shadow Dragon's arena barely resembles this one. The only differences between this one and actual arenas is that this one has dragon statues and torches, plus its HD. That's about it.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Just going to throw this out there: It's not out of the question that we could receive an additional stage on one or both versions.

Also, Radiant Dawn, while only one game, was one hell of a lot to happen. What was it... 30 some chapters? Don't hold your breath, but don't write it off, either.
I thought it was weird we only got one FE stage in brawl and zero in melee. If we don't get 2 on at least one version I will be surprised. This can be the vanilla FE stage without hazards and the RD stage could be the more dangerous ones.

And RD had 42 chapters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think its possible Castle Siege could come back as a returning stage with one new Wii U stage for Fire Emblem, but I find it highly questionable at this point. It would be neat, though, Fire Emblem does not appear to be getting a lot of items in the game overall so perhaps it'll be balanced out by getting a couple of additional stages (especially since the series has been lacking in stages since Melee).

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I REALLY love the Colosseum stage! It just looks absolutely breathtaking! Also, it does kind of make sense, since the Colosseum has appeared in almost every Fire Emblem game. I cannot believe I never thought of this mineself.

Also, I agree that it would be cool to see an additional Fire Emblem stage, though I personally am not going to get mine hopes up. In all honesty, I am more than satisfied with what we currently have.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I REALLY love the Colosseum stage! It just looks absolutely breathtaking! Also, it does kind of make sense, since the Colosseum has appeared in almost every Fire Emblem game. I cannot believe I never thought of this mineself.

Also, I agree that it would be cool to see an additional Fire Emblem stage, though I personally am not going to get mine hopes up. In all honesty, I am more than satisfied with what we currently have.
I would like to see what more there is to this colosseum stage, but either way I'm satisifed with the Fire Emblem stages as well.

Hong

The Strongest
I am hoping the transformations are more colourful and distinct from the ones we see in Arena Ferox.

Enough... brown. That's why I hate western games. So much grey and brown.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Since Sakurai did mention variable platform layout I personally hope that the floor falls away Halberd-esque within like 15 seconds and leaves us a dynamic, working stage. It would then be a counterpick.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Didn't know about the existence of this board due to my lack of navigating the forums anymore.

The new ledge mechanics seem to heavily favor Ike if his recovery options remain the same. Brawl ledge invulnerability was already quite close to getting exploited by a few of Ike's hitboxes. I have a feeling that there's a good chance that it'll be quite good for him regardless in this game.

Edit: The reveal of 3 possible customizable special moves per direction also *greatly* aids Ike, assuming that the base specials stay the same. The new specials have a chance at being more accessible.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I just hope i can replace eruption.

Come on sword projectile!

(I'm assuming we can't customize UpB cause we need a recovery)

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Didn't know about the existence of this board due to my lack of navigating the forums anymore.

The new ledge mechanics seem to heavily favor Ike if his recovery options remain the same. Brawl ledge invulnerability was already quite close to getting exploited by a few of Ike's hitboxes. I have a feeling that there's a good chance that it'll be quite good for him regardless in this game.

Edit: The reveal of 3 possible customizable special moves per direction also *greatly* aids Ike, assuming that the base specials stay the same. The new specials have a chance at being more accessible.
I was actually thinking about this during the tournament. The way the edges work greatly favor the way Ike fights on the edge.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I was really hoping to see Ike at the invitational, but oh well. Still really fun to watch overall, the crowd there was insane.

I just hope i can replace eruption.

Come on sword projectile!

(I'm assuming we can't customize UpB cause we need a recovery)
I completely agree with this. No reason for Ike to have Eruption and not Ragnell's shockwave, if you ask me.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
In one of the 1v1 videos on CT, there was an assist trophy that played like Ike. Am I the only one who noticed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom