• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander

Smash Ace
What do want for a new Side-B on Ike?
Jump Cancelable Quickdraw that can be canceled into grabs, up smashes, and the ability to reverse all of those too. Also no helpless state on hit. Wall jumps out of it are a bit unintuitive and I doubt those would ever be implemented.

Hong

The Strongest
So would you sacrifice Quick draw for A Sword wave ?
It's a possible design direction.

P:M made Ike the Captain Falcon of swordsmen, giving him fast movement, but leaving his attacks slow. Maybe Sakurai's team has a different plan for our man: They will take the approach of leaving his poor mobility as is, but at least give him normals that actually work. Having some ranged substance would help soften this design and prevent instances of Ike players not getting any opportunities at all.

Of course, Eruption doesn't make me feel particularly optimistic about this theory, but surely Bandai Namco can save us. I would like to think their recent products, while not perfect, have shown they at least understand the fundamentals of fighter design. Not 100% Tekken savvy, but a lot of characters are viable in SC5 right now.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Ike's not getting the axe. Didn't you hear, He's already confirmed!

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
It's a possible design direction.

P:M made Ike the Captain Falcon of swordsmen, giving him fast movement, but leaving his attacks slow. Maybe Sakurai's team has a different plan for our man: They will take the approach of leaving his poor mobility as is, but at least give him normals that actually work. Having some ranged substance would help soften this design and prevent instances of Ike players not getting any opportunities at all.

Of course, Eruption doesn't make me feel particularly optimistic about this theory, but surely Bandai Namco can save us. I would like to think their recent products, while not perfect, have shown they at least understand the fundamentals of fighter design. Not 100% Tekken savvy, but a lot of characters are viable in SC5 right now.
I do have faith in Bandai Namco, but Viola just seemed a teensy bit broken to me in SC5. But you can't win em all, I suppose, and having just one slightly broken character isn't a big deal.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I do have faith in Bandai Namco, but Viola just seemed a teensy bit broken to me in SC5. But you can't win em all, I suppose, and having just one slightly broken character isn't a big deal.
Honestly, if we can get an SSB64 level of balance, I'll be content.

Obviously Pikachu is the best character in that game, but since everyone can do 0%->death combos, every character is broken. If we can get to balance close to SSF4 2012 AE, that would be even better. Like, yeah, you knew Cammy was kind good in 7/10 situations, but overall there was a decent pool of players winning with a wide range of characters.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
As much as I would like to see a projectile (i.e. sword beam) implemented as a new Side B, I just cannot fathom the thought of Ike losing Quick Draw. It is true that he would benefit in the range department with that scenario; however, at the expense of good horizontal recovery, I fear this may cripple his overall performance. I would gladly welcome it though if this projectile is given good attack properties to compensate.

This part may sound stupid, but I consider Aether a projectile (the part where the sword leaves Ike), even though it is not classified as one in Smash terms.

^-^

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, if we can get an SSB64 level of balance, I'll be content.

Obviously Pikachu is the best character in that game, but since everyone can do 0%->death combos, every character is broken. If we can get to balance close to SSF4 2012 AE, that would be even better. Like, yeah, you knew Cammy was kind good in 7/10 situations, but overall there was a decent pool of players winning with a wide range of characters.
We might be able to get that SSB64 level of balance if Sakurai cuts 30 characters.

Hong

The Strongest
This part may sound stupid, but I consider Aether a projectile, even though it is not classified as one in Smash terms.

^-^
I think from the moment Captain Falcon rose to dominance and his body widely became considered to be the greatest projectile in the game, we're all ready to renovate fighter terminology as Smash Bros sees fit. :b
We might be able to get that SSB64 level of balance if Sakurai cuts 30 characters.
I wouldn't even be mad.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
As much as I would like to see a projectile (i.e. sword beam) implemented as a new Side B, I just cannot fathom the thought of Ike losing Quick Draw. It is true that he would benefit in the range department with that scenario; however, at the expense of good horizontal recovery, I fear this may cripple his overall performance. I would gladly welcome it though if this projectile is given good attack properties to compensate.

This part may sound stupid, but I consider Aether a projectile (the part where the sword leaves Ike), even though it is not classified as one in Smash terms.

^-^
Well if you think about it, it's a vertical projectile, wish if it's possible that Aether cover for Quick draw in horizontal recovery, it needs some horizontal distance.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ike-on was just put up.

Locking the thread now. :p

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
What if instead of Quick draw we get a Wave slash and Quick Draw combo,

it goes like this a Ike releasing a waveslash, than he follows it up with a quick draw (optional), he can only go as far the waveslash goes and you can charge it and store it like Samus B attack, if you think about it's a useful horizontal recovery where you don't need to charge the Quick draw midair, you just need to charge and keep it at your disposal so when you need it you can unleash it, basically it's just a horizontal Aether.

Hong

The Strongest
What if Ike based one of his throws on Aether, only instead of throwing the sword, he throws his opponent and comes crashing down with them. :b

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What if Ike based one of his throws on Aether, only instead of throwing the sword, he throws his opponent and comes crashing down with them. :b
Sounds a bit like Kirby and Meta-Knight's up throw.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Thank you, based mods, for the Ike icon. The first time I saw it, I scrolled right past the Ike forum! I was getting too used to seeing the question mark, lel.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Even better: Replace one of his throws with a DDT. (No, I'm not joking)

Ike's manliness would shoot up another 3,000 feet.
Of all the DDT's in the world, you link one by the MIZ? for shame.
As a pro wrestler myself, I think ike would be more suited to a michinoku driver, if we're using wrestling moves
http://youtu.be/IYpIDr0SYSI?t=1m24s

As for Side-B, I'm cool with keeping quick draw, they can literally change anything about it and make it better.
make it charge faster? good.
not go into helpless? good.
not auto-swing? good.
give the swing less than like 40 frames cooldown? good.

see what I mean?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Of all the DDT's in the world, you link one by the MIZ? for shame.
As a pro wrestler myself, I think ike would be more suited to a michinoku driver, if we're using wrestling moves
http://youtu.be/IYpIDr0SYSI?t=1m24s
Dude, I just looked up DDT on Google, and that was the image I chose. I stopped following wrestling over 7 years ago.

And as for the side b, I am also fine with the quick draw. Just have Ike pass through his opponent after the attack.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I thought there was a very small chance he'd be cut for Chrom but I found it much more likely that we'd get 3 FE characters or would stay with just Ike who fills a better role as the heavy hitter than Chrom would the middle hitter.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Tower of Guidance or Greil's Keep, I think. Tower of Guidance first floor would be preferred for me as that one would could have several layers with stairs going up a bit higher and the FD version could just be a flat version and of course you can see stairs going up and down around you (mostly in the back and out of reach).

Another suggestion I've thought of would be the Ribahn River, the site of the massive battle between the Laguz Alliance and Begnion Army. But that one I find less likely. It'd be neat having a river-based level, I haven't seen many of those. (The closest I can think is Jungle Japes.)

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Choosing a specific area for a Fire Emblem stage is always a bit strange due to the nature of the series' gameplay. Arena Ferox works because it's a pretty memorable area from Awakening (even though it's only used for that one chapter/scene). For Radiant Dawn, the only locations I can really remember that stood out to me (granted, it's been years since I last played) are the Nox Castle and the Tower of Guidance, and both of those are primarily due to the cutscenes that are attached to them.

So, if I were a betting man, and I had to bet on a specific location from Radiant Dawn being used, I'd put my money on either of those.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's why I suggested the Ribahn River, its the sight of a VERY famous scene as well during Radiant Dawn. I'd love Nox Castle, but I'd rather have either the Ribahn River or the Tower of Guidance just so we don't get another castle stage based on FE like with Castle Siege. That was supposed to be a general depiction of Fire Emblem areas, and castles are a major part of Fire Emblem, but that's not all there is to it. So I'd like something other than a castle to reflect that notion.

Technically Arena Ferox isn't a castle, but it has a similar feel.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman
As disclaimer, I don't remember Ribahn River at all (I should go replay RD to remedy this). While I can understand the sentiment for a non-castle based Fire Emblem stage, at the same time I'd think it odd to not have one if we are only getting one Fire Emblem stage per game (U and 3DS). As far as I know, Fire Emblem isn't exactly known for having unique or interesting areas for players to visit/navigate through. Most of them are pretty standard fantasy flair in general. It's for that reason that I'd think anything beyond "Arena" or "Castle" won't get chosen from Fire Emblem due to other franchises within Smash having more interesting locale's. But what do I know? I've been wrong about most of my guesses for these games thus far.

Also, I find it unusual you consider Arena Ferox a "castle feeling" stage. I only identify it with the various Arena's from within the series. I'd name it more a coliseum than a castle. What makes you think "castle" specifically?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The statues that can appear in the background appear to be ripped straight out of Castle Siege. Not that it proves anything, but meh. Also, is is an arena, and arenas are somewhat similar to castles. I know arenas aren't the same, but they feel a lot closer to a castle than another locale from Fire Emblem would.

Actually, on that note, it probably would be easier to create a stage based on Radiant Dawn than based on an older game, or from Shadow Dragon, because the assets and designs are already there for Radiant Dawn in a 3D environment. They could take those assets, tweak them, and create a Radiant Dawn stage. Whereas for an older stage they'd have to fully design the stage and design the concepts of it as well since in the 2D games they're all, well, 2D, and are likely harder to redesign than something that's in 3D.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Tower of Guidance and Greil's Keep are fine ideas imo.

Ribahn River is an important location in RD, but I really don't want that as a stage. I definitely did not enjoy the limited movement the characters had to suffer from in those marsh-filled maps. I'll admit I'm being biased here, heh.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman - That is an interesting way of looking at it. Statues like that always remind me of coliseum's no matter where they appear.

I'm not exactly partial to any particular area from Radiant Dawn myself, so I'll be satisfied no matter what sort of Fire Emblem stage appears. In fact, Fire Emblem locales in general don't really stand out in my mind among the myriad of Nintendo areas I've explored, so that's probably why.

That out of the way, I'd actually like to see a level with the same theme as the Radiant Dawn opening cutscene with Micaiah and Sothe. The lighting and mood of that scene really stood out in my mind (probably because that was the first thing of Radiant Dawn I had ever seen). I don't have particularly unique stage elements in mind other than the idea that perhaps some Begnion troops could be walking about in the background.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Tower of Guidance and Greil's Keep are fine ideas imo.

Ribahn River is an important location in RD, but I really don't want that as a stage. I definitely did not enjoy the limited movement the characters had to suffer from in those marsh-filled maps. I'll admit I'm being biased here, heh.
While I think the Ribahn River could be amazing (mostly due to the war going on in the background), I'm not a fan of the likely scenario that it would be a walk-off stage. It would look amazing, but the FD version of it would be the only legal version if it had no pits to fall into.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
While I think the Ribahn River could be amazing (mostly due to the war going on in the background), I'm not a fan of the likely scenario that it would be a walk-off stage. It would look amazing, but the FD version of it would be the only legal version if it had no pits to fall into.
I'd actually anticipate it being filled with things like trees and rocks, while the stage itself consists mostly of a small island in the center of the river with deep parts of the river on both sides, so it wouldn't be a walk-off stage at all. In the background you could hear the war raging on and perhaps see some fighting.

Tower of Guidance, Serenes Forest, or Oliver's Mansion please.
Serenes Forest of Tower of Guidance would work really well, I think. The only problem I see with the Tower of Guidance is it is featured literally right at the end of the game. I'd think a stage from earlier in the game more people would know about would be represented instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom