• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just stopping by the say that Ike should replace Eruption and Counter with something else. Personally for me, I'd easily replace Eruption with the idea of utilizing a projectile like planned, but maybe a projectile akin to Sol Badguy's Gun Blade attack with a stream of fire that travels across the ground.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just stopping by the say that Ike should replace Eruption and Counter with something else. Personally for me, I'd easily replace Eruption with the idea of utilizing a projectile like planned, but maybe a projectile akin to Sol Badguy's Gun Blade attack with a stream of fire that travels across the ground.
I like the idea of Ike getting his projectile attack in place of eruption, but Counter has to stay. All units in Fire Emblem can counterattack. It's based on the game mechanic.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai did originally plan to have the Ragnell's ranged attack? Maybe he could modify that for this game this time around for Ike?

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I rather chrom have his own move set than give him Ike`s.
Disagree for sure, since I was talking hyphotetical about a scenario where Ike was cut. With him being cut I still want his moveset/play style to stay in. On Ganondorf, Chrom or whoever it fits best.

Bah, why are you people so against Ike's moveset? We are in his character thread damnit!
I thought every one in here would like his moves as much as I do but all I get is people wanting Ike's moveset to dissapear with him if he is cut. :(
Let's just hope he stays in!

Last edited:

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
The consensus here is that Ike's moves belong to Ike. If the developers wanted to keep Ike's playstyle in the game, then there'd be no reason to not just keep Ike. Cutting him completely would be one thing, pasting his moveset onto another, completely unrelated character (and a veteran, with his own established fanbase at that!) would be such an unjustifiable disrespect to their fans because believe it or not, some people view their favorite characters as more than just hitboxes and frame data.

Go ask the Wolf thread how they'd feel if Wolf was cut, but his moveset was given to Falco.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Surely Ike fans liking Ike because he's Ike is an easy enough concept to comprehend?

On that note I'm rooting for Ike to return for my sister who adores the character because of his personality, his game(s) and his moveset...although I wouldn't say no to a little buff for him in the speed department either.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
If they wanted a current FE character but wanted to keep Ike`s move set and get rid of him the only one I see it working for is Priam. Priam is Ike`s direct descendant plus he wields Ragnell. Him fighting like Ike woulfdn`t be Farfetch'd. ;D See what I did there? XD Anyway I want Ike to return just saying that is the only way I see this move transfer thing working.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
If they wanted a current FE character but wanted to keep Ike`s move set and get rid of him the only one I see it working for is Priam. Priam is Ike`s direct descendant plus he wields Ragnell. Him fighting like Ike woulfdn`t be Farfetch'd. ;D See what I did there? XD Anyway I want Ike to return just saying that is the only way I see this move transfer thing working.
I agree, and yet, including Priam over Ike is rather pointless!

I wouldn't mind Ike getting some new duds, though! If Little Mac can get a wireframe gretup, Ike can don his [descendant's] Awakening clothes, too.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
If you're going to add Chrom with Ike's moveset then you might as well just bring him back with his RD look and make him look fresh and new. Either give Chrom a moveset that would differentiate his play style from Marth and Ike or just dont add him at all. Having Chrom's moveset mimic him would just be hurtful for us Ike fans. That'd be like giving Lucario the exact same movesets as Mewtwo. That'd just hurt.

Ive also noticed something hilariously sad about some (not all) Chrom supporters. Wanna know what that is? Some of them have never even played Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. In fact, Awakening happens to be the only Fire Emblem they've ever played. To some of these people Ike just happens to be a one time character who appeared in two Fire Emblem games they've never played and dont care about. But when it comes to Chrom, they love the character. Why? Because Awakening is the only FE they've played, but they hate Ike because he's some "bland" character they just happen to hate.

This has been on my mind for a while now and i want to share it here. In my honest opinion, there is no stopping them from adding 3 Fire Embelm reps. I honestly believe that the Fire Emblem series is big enough to have 3 characters represent their franchise. Since Smash 4 seems to focus heavily on the idea of Consoles and Handhelds, Chrom could easily represent the handheld side of the franchise since his latest game is one of the most popular games on the 3DS. Ike could represent the console side of the franchise since his games were the most recent to have two games on a console. Meanwhile, Marth could represent the series as a whole. Well, at least that's what i think because it'd be a shame to see someone with a unique moveset like Ike leave the roster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike isn't a character that is easy to forget for people who actually played his games. Chrom? Can't say the same thing about him.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
The consensus here is that Ike's moves belong to Ike. If the developers wanted to keep Ike's playstyle in the game, then there'd be no reason to not just keep Ike. Cutting him completely would be one thing, pasting his moveset onto another, completely unrelated character (and a veteran, with his own established fanbase at that!) would be such an unjustifiable disrespect to their fans because believe it or not, some people view their favorite characters as more than just hitboxes and frame data.

Go ask the Wolf thread how they'd feel if Wolf was cut, but his moveset was given to Falco.
Don't know how upset I'd be with it as a Ganondorf fan. I've had him being a CF-clone 2 games now. Giving him a revamped moveset from Ike would be nothing...
I understand but I am also curious, would you mind Ikes moveset on a new FE-rep (assuming Ike got cut) or would that also be "disrepsectful" to his fans? And it's not that I can't grasp that people are fans of Ike, I simply thought his fan base had more people that loved him for the moveset. Alot of Smash fans haven't even played their favourite characters games, therefor I assumed that most Smashers cared more about the play style and moveset rather than the canon character (with some exceptions of the huge iconic characters ofcourse). It appears I was brutally wrong!

Or that people hanging around in character threads atleast are mostly that way. I have noticed in other threads too that you are not very welcome as a pure playstyle/moveset fan, while not caring much about the character, in here. :)

Last edited:

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I think Chrom is an important character to the series because of Awakening being one of the best 3DS games and the first FE for a lot of people, but I don't think he deserves to replace Ike. Ike is the only character besides Marth (I think) that is the protagonist in more that one FE game and he is the heavy sword user in Smash Bros. He is different to Chrom, so the two of them can be in Smash Bros 4 without any problem.

From my point of view, Marth, Ike and Chrom are the most important characters (at least talking about principal characters/lords) in FE (also a lot of people don't know anything about other characters like Eliwood or Ephraim).

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
^
I know Chrom is very popular and I like him myself. As a character he would make the most sense as a new FE- rep. But if Ike stays in I think it would be more interesting if we could have our first non sword using FE-character.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Don't know how upset I'd be with it as a Ganondorf fan. I've had him being a CF-clone 2 games now. Giving him a revamped moveset from Ike would be nothing...
I understand but I am also curious, would you mind Ikes moveset on a new FE-rep (assuming Ike got cut) or would that also be "disrepsectful" to his fans? And it's not that I can't grasp that people are fans of Ike, I simply thought his fan base had more people that loved him for the moveset. Alot of Smash fans haven't even played their favourite characters games, therefor I assumed that most Smashers cared more about the play style and moveset rather than the canon character (with some exceptions of the huge iconic characters ofcourse). It appears I was brutally wrong!

Or that people hanging around in character threads atleast are mostly that way. I have noticed in other threads too that you are not very welcome as a pure playstyle/moveset fan, while not caring much about the character, in here. :)
Well I'm glad you figured out that dropping into a character discussion thread and saying "Hey guys, what if the character you all love to talk about and hope returns in Smash 4... doesn't?!" is likely to garner a sour response
Also I mentioned earlier that liking a character for their character doesn't necessarily have to mean their game of origin

I think Chrom is an important character to the series because of Awakening being one of the best 3DS games and the first FE for a lot of people
First of all that's highly subjective. Second... wouldn't that be true for every game released?? lol
I have no beef with Chrom at all but him getting in just because his game is most recent is reason enough I'd think

Last edited:

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice

I want Ike to be in because I like Ike himself personally. Glad you learned people like Ike because he is Ike.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I want Ragnell to have a ranged attack like it does in FE games...
The rough translation of Sakurai's comments on that topic allude to him not feeling it would be balanced. However, making it a weak projectile with limited range surely would be okay in place of Eruption. And you know, Sakurai's mind can change over time. Just look at Villager!

So yeah; the ranged attack would be nice, and would further differenciate him from the other lords. I'd also like to see at least one of his other costumes make an appearance, as well. His tried and true, unpromoted Path of Radiance look is fine, but any of his other getups would be cool to have, as well.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm glad you figured out that dropping into a character discussion thread and saying "Hey guys, what if the character you all love to talk about and hope returns in Smash 4... doesn't?!" is likely to garner a sour response.

Also I mentioned earlier that liking a character for their character doesn't necessarily have to mean their game of origin
I want Ike to stay myself but I think most people are capable of seeing it for what it was, a "what if?"-scenario. So if any one got offended cause I brought up a hyphotetical case where he was cut, to get a discussion going about an idea I found intriguing, I'm not going to appologise for it. Cause to be brutaly honest, I think that is silly. Grown people should be able to discuss things unbiased even if its about a subject they are emotionaly attached too. Do you really mean to say that people are offended (and rightfully so) because I asked a purely hyphotetical question in wichs scenario Ike was to cut? I mean, disagree all you want. Opinions and inputs was what I wanted (wether agree or disagree), but why would anyone be offended?
I do ofcourse however respect every boy and girl in here and respect them for being fans of Ike, whatever the reason they have for being that. And while I stand by that I won't appologise because I find it silly if it upset anyone, I did not mean for it to offend anyone either. Maybe it was stupid of me to ask in here though, if I wanted unbiased opinions of it I guess the Ike and Ganondorf-threads are the wrong places to discuss in.
Agree with the last part. As said I myself am not particualy a fan of Ike because his character or origin (even though I like the games alot). It's his playstyle that made me a fan, so even if I had never played an FE-game I would probably still be a fan of him
:)

Lastly (to stay on topic and change subject as it was, as mentioned, a mistake to take up the previous discussion in here), I hope and think we will get Ike again. He is much more unique than Roy was and I don't think much would need ot be changed with his moveset, he was a very solid well made character in Brawl. Smash4 will likely get DLC somewhere along the road and I think there is a good chance that if any brawl characters are cut, they might get in as DLC later on instead.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I want Ike to stay myself but I think most people are capable of seeing it for what it was, a "what if?"-scenario. So if any one got offended cause I brought up a hyphotetical case where he was cut, to get a discussion going about an idea I found intriguing, I'm not going to appologise for it. Cause to be brutaly honest, I think that is silly. Grown people should be able to discuss things unbiased even if its about a subject they are emotionaly attached too. Do you really mean to say that people are offended (and rightfully so) because I asked a purely hyphotetical question in wichs scenario Ike was to cut? I mean, disagree all you want. Opinions and inputs was what I wanted (wether agree or disagree), but why would anyone be offended?
I do ofcourse however respect every boy and girl in here and respect them for being fans of Ike, whatever the reason they have for being that. And while I stand by that I won't appologise because I find it silly if it upset anyone, I did not mean for it to offend anyone either. Maybe it was stupid of me to ask in here though, if I wanted unbiased opinions of it I guess the Ike and Ganondorf-threads are the wrong places to discuss in.
Agree with the last part. As said I myself am not particualy a fan of Ike because his character or origin (even though I like the games alot). It's his playstyle that made me a fan, so even if I had never played an FE-game I would probably still be a fan of him
:)

Lastly (to stay on topic and change subject as it was, as mentioned, a mistake to take up the previous discussion in here), I hope and think we will get Ike again. He is much more unique than Roy was and I don't think much would need ot be changed with his moveset, he was a very solid well made character in Brawl. Smash4 will likely get DLC somewhere along the road and I think there is a good chance that if any brawl characters are cut, they might get in as DLC later on instead.
Where to even begin.

I will say, though, that I don't see any evidence for DLC in Smash 4 yet. And even if there was, I don't think it would be the kind of DLC that you are implying is possible.

A "character" in Smash Bros is a very complex cocktail of files and data. The only way a character could practically be "added" to Smash 4 is if it works like it does in Pokemon: the character is there the entire time, but it is "unlocked" by online event. Keep in mind that each character interacts with other characters in unique ways: Kirby hats, for one. Straight-up downloading a cut character and adding it to the game is not a realistic expectation, especially since it would not be able to be used online at all unless it was a mandatory patch.

Last edited:

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Where to even begin.

I will say, though, that I don't see any evidence for DLC in Smash 4 yet. And even if there was, I don't think it would be the kind of DLC that you are implying is possible.

A "character" in Smash Bros is a very complex cocktail of files and data. The only way a character could practically be "added" to Smash 4 is if it works like it does in Pokemon: the character is there the entire time, but it is "unlocked" by online event. Keep in mind that each character interacts with other characters in unique ways: Kirby hats, for one. Straight-up downloading a cut character and adding it to the game is not a realistic expectation, especially since it would not be able to be used online at all unless it was a mandatory patch.
Had no idea it was that hard for developers to add characters. Still, are you sure you are not over exagerating a bit? Other fighting-games have added DLC-characters just fine. I can't see having to add a kirby hat is the difference maker wich would make it impossible for Smash4. I by no meanse claim that we for sure will get DLC, but I think they for sure could make character DLC if they wanted too (and probably make it worth it not only as fan service but for a good profit).

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
Had no idea it was that hard for developers to add characters. Still, are you sure you are not over exagerating a bit? Other fighting-games have added DLC-characters just fine. I can't see having to add a kirby hat is the difference maker wich would make it impossible for Smash4. I by no meanse claim that we for sure will get DLC, but I think they for sure could make character DLC if they wanted too (and probably make it worth it not only as fan service but for a good profit).
The problem is that adding a character means adding animations and data to pretty much every other character so a simple download is not a feasible option.

Also, I would really like Vanguard Ike.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Making characters paid DLC is the lowest of the low. The data would have to already be on the disk.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
IDK, his chances are alright, but Chrom has Aether and Takamaru is most likely getting in.

I don't know if Sakurai would be willing to have four blue-haired swordsmen on the roster, three of which are from the same franchise.

Last edited:

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
IDK, his chances are alright, but Chrom has Aether and Takamaru is most likely getting in.

I don't know if Sakurai would be willing to have four blue-haired swordsmen on the roster, three of which are from the same franchise.
Who is takamaru and why is he more likely than Ike? Also what does having blue hair have to do with anything?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Who is takamaru and why is he more likely than Ike? Also what does having blue hair have to do with anything?
Well, I guess I'm just giving a personal analysis. It's not really based on anything besides looking at where Nintendo's focus has been as of late, and taking into account that Sakurai prioritizes uniqueness. Ike is most likely in, I'm just a little worried about him.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess I'm just giving a personal analysis. It's not really based on anything besides looking at where Nintendo's focus has been as of late, and taking into account that Sakurai prioritizes uniqueness. Ike is most likely in, I'm just a little worried about him.
Alright but who is takamaru?

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Alright but who is takamaru?
A obscure character from "The Mysterious Murasame Castle" , the one old ass NES game and his latest appearance is in Nintendo Land ("Takamaru's Ninja Castle", you as him). Very obscure character like Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Wii Fit Trainer. I couldn't see any more obscure characters happening for SSB4 because it's already fulfilled by Wii Fit Trainer anyway...

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I couldn't see any more obscure characters happening for SSB4 because it's already fulfilled by Wii Fit Trainer anyway...
How is Wii Fit Trainer obscure when pretty much everyone knows who she is? Wii Fit sold more than a lot of franchises in the game have sold combined.

Also, she's not retro like the others.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
How is Wii Fit Trainer obscure when pretty much everyone knows who she is? Wii Fit sold more than a lot of franchises in the game have sold combined.

Also, she's not retro like the others.
Obscure TO Smash Bros series.

Retro already fulfilled by Little Mac in some way (although his latest game is for Wii but he's still considered "retro").

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Obscure TO Smash Bros series.

Retro already fulfilled by Little Mac in some way (although his latest game is for Wii but he's still considered "retro").
Please don't use that argument that argument kinda sucks.
But on the topic Takamaru is no more likely than Ike.
They are both very likely Takamaru for Retro rep and Ike for Popularity purposes.
No one character hurts anothers chance unless maybe they are from the same franchise... Maybe.
But I don't see Ike getting replaced by Chrom.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
So if any one got offended cause I brought up a hyphotetical case where he was cut, to get a discussion going about an idea I found intriguing, I'm not going to appologise for it.
You don't have to apologize and I wouldn't ask for or expect one either
I admit I'm maybe a bit touchy about it and I'm sorry for coming off as rude or anything. But it's only because I'm scared...

I can easily see us getting 4 blue-haired swordsmen.
What about a purple-haired swordsman? :ike:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Please don't use that argument that argument kinda sucks.
But on the topic Takamaru is no more likely than Ike.
They are both very likely Takamaru for Retro rep and Ike for Popularity purposes.
No one character hurts anothers chance unless maybe they are from the same franchise... Maybe.
But I don't see Ike getting replaced by Chrom.
Yeah? Well the new-comer of retro series is pretty much fulfilled now considering...
It's mostly fulfilled already

> 3 complete series
> 1 partial series
> 2 new-comers of established series

Let's look back at previous games?
Brawl:
> 4 complete series
> 3 partial series (as part of Mario universe and not-really-a-series)
> 8 new-comers of established series
> 5 cuts
Melee:
> 3 complete series (1 new series came with TWO new-comers!)
> 2 partial series
> 7 new-comers of established series
64:
> 8 complete series (Mario and Pokemon came with two new-comers)
> 2 partial series

Notice high number of new-comers of established series in Melee and Brawl but not in SSB4?
Sakurai already said 50 is more than enough (let's start with 49) and we have 29 so far, 20 more characters to go and they will be filled with 14 remaining veterans (excluding all Melee fighters and Squirtle+Ivysaur) so that leaves out 6 remaining spots for new-comers.

If we increased the new-comer of established series twice in equivalent to unrepped series just like Melee and Brawl, it will leave out only 2 more for any series. The one will likely go to the partial series and we will probably leave the last one to the (recently) established series, making it almost equivalent to Melee. No more spots for unrepped (retro) series.

My argument to whether is retro series fulfilled may suck but there is another argument warranting that claim.

Anyway... sorry for being off-topic.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah? Well the new-comer of retro series is pretty much fulfilled now considering...

Sakurai already said 50 is more than enough (let's start with 49) and we have 29 so far, 20 more characters to go and they will be filled with 14 remaining veterans (excluding all Melee fighters and Squirtle+Ivysaur) so that leaves out 6 remaining spots for new-comers.

If we increased the new-comer of established series twice in equivalent to unrepped series just like Melee and Brawl, it will leave out only 2 more for any series. The one will likely go to the partial series and we will probably leave the last one to the (recently) established series, making it almost equivalent to Melee. No more spots for unrepped (retro) series.

My argument to whether is retro series fulfilled may suck but there is another argument warranting that claim.

Anyway... sorry for being off-topic.
While your comment does make alot of sense it seems as if he's doing things alot different this time around making those statistics almost irrelevant.
I'm not saying your wrong but I have a feeling that there will be more new series characters than existing ones.
the reason I say this is because all the characters that are important to said series' are already in.
But yes let's get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom