• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Definitely one of the most satisfying final smashes of all.
Unless you are on stages with really high upper blast lines and after the spectacular fire show of awesomeness your disappointed to find that the victim(s) didn't get even close to being KO'd...
But other then that, yeah one of the best Final Smashes from a visual standpoint.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Eruption needs to be scrapped to be honest, considering it doesn't really help with Ike's problems. I'd suggest turning it into a down smash, and replacing the original special attack with a projectile of sorts. Like I said, the best option s a ground based stream of fire that is utility based.

D

Deleted member

Scrap Eruption, give it to Chrom with different animation and new name. :troll:

Y'know, like what happened with Roy's Flare Blade.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why out of character? Ike could basically one shot everything in his games.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I hope Sakurai change his final smash, something based in the last chapter of Radiant Dawn with Yune

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I hope Sakurai change his final smash, something based in the last chapter of Radiant Dawn with Yune
Eh, I'm pretty fond of Great Aether, even if it is made up. Just make Ike's fire blue on his moves and it makes it 100% more canon.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I don't know if it's been said because I was too lazy to read through 13 pages of Ike discussion, but I'd actually be cool with his neutral special being changed to some sort of ranged, vertical energy slice. Ragnell does hit 1-2 spaces away after all, and it uses the kind of weird, blue, energy slice that I think could work great as a projectile for Ike. I'd also greatly enjoy seeing him in his Radiant Dawn Vanguard get-up. I really hope they keep him as a playable character. I started playing the Fire Emblem series because of Marth and Roy in Melee, but I fell in love with it because of Ike. Fanboyed so hard when I learned he was gonna be in Brawl.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't know if it's been said because I was too lazy to read through 13 pages of Ike discussion, but I'd actually be cool with his neutral special being changed to some sort of ranged, vertical energy slice. Ragnell does hit 1-2 spaces away after all, and it uses the kind of weird, blue, energy slice that I think could work great as a projectile for Ike. I'd also greatly enjoy seeing him in his Radiant Dawn Vanguard get-up. I really hope they keep him as a playable character. I started playing the Fire Emblem series because of Marth and Roy in Melee, but I fell in love with it because of Ike. Fanboyed so hard when I learned he was gonna be in Brawl.
You and I feel the same way about what should happen to Eruption.

And yeah, I enjoyed Ike as a character very much. Path of Radiance was a great game, except for the battle graphics being so lame. But at least they had the great cut scenes, and Ike's dialogue was done very well.

I'm playing through Awakening right now. Chrom doesn't really have as much personality. And he, just like all the sword classes in this game, jumps way too much. Almost every time he attacks, Chrom jumps in the air. It also just really irks me that Chrom stabs his sword into the ground after every kill. You have a scabbard, dummie. Why are trying to look cool by stabbing the ground?

With Ike in Smash, Sakurai did a fine job picking animations from Ike's own games to make him feel like the real thing. The only times Ike stabs the ground with Ragnell are when he needs both hands free. Functional reason. I mean, it is a huge zweihander, and he doesn't have a place on his back or belt for it, that I recall.

With Chrom, it's going to be interesting. Most of his animations are jump attacks or aerial hits. He just doesn't have many good grounded animations. BUT. And I know this is crazy and has never happened before, BUT what if Chrom showed up in his promoted class, the Great Lord? Now, suddenly, Chrom could dual wield Falchion and a lance. Chrom has a lot of nice lance animations, and using a weapon other than a sword (and dual wielding) would make him very unique. If Chrom did replace Ike, that is how I would like it to be.

I do want Ike to come back, though. And maybe one of his other costumes would be fine. I really like his promoted class in Path of Radiance: the nice contrast between black and brown and blue, the strong-looking shoulder pad, the more regal cape. Honestly, though, his Radiant Dawn look is way too similar to how Chrom's outfits look: the one naked arm, the round shoulder pad, the unpainted steel plates, the cape.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
ANinyMouse said:
You and I feel the same way about what should happen to Eruption.

And yeah, I enjoyed Ike as a character very much. Path of Radiance was a great game, except for the battle graphics being so lame. But at least they had the great cut scenes, and Ike's dialogue was done very well.

I'm playing through Awakening right now. Chrom doesn't really have as much personality. And he, just like all the sword classes in this game, jumps way too much. Almost every time he attacks, Chrom jumps in the air. It also just really irks me that Chrom stabs his sword into the ground after every kill. You have a scabbard, dummie. Why are trying to look cool by stabbing the ground?

With Ike in Smash, Sakurai did a fine job picking animations from Ike's own games to make him feel like the real thing. The only times Ike stabs the ground with Ragnell are when he needs both hands free. Functional reason. I mean, it is a huge zweihander, and he doesn't have a place on his back or belt for it, that I recall.

With Chrom, it's going to be interesting. Most of his animations are jump attacks or aerial hits. He just doesn't have many good grounded animations. BUT. And I know this is crazy and has never happened before, BUT what if Chrom showed up in his promoted class, the Great Lord? Now, suddenly, Chrom could dual wield Falchion and a lance. Chrom has a lot of nice lance animations, and using a weapon other than a sword (and dual wielding) would make him very unique. If Chrom did replace Ike, that is how I would like it to be.

I do want Ike to come back, though. And maybe one of his other costumes would be fine. I really like his promoted class in Path of Radiance: the nice contrast between black and brown and blue, the strong-looking shoulder pad, the more regal cape. Honestly, though, his Radiant Dawn look is way too similar to how Chrom's outfits look: the one naked arm, the round shoulder pad, the unpainted steel plates, the cape.
Chrom really doesn't have much personality. I still absolutely love Awakening. I'm doing my sixth play-through right now, but I have never actually used Chrom all the way through. I use him as a father to make an awesome Lucina and that's about it, then he just becomes the pair-up unit for Lucina and never gets used again. That said, I'd still love to see him in Smash 4.

I've never really thought about how similar Ike moves in Smash to the way he does in the FE games, but now that you mention it, that is certainly one of the things that makes him work so well. I agree that Chrom is going to be difficult to give the same consistency between the two series (assuming Chrom is put into Smash 4), and I really like your idea of the sword/lance dual-wield, I think he'd be an amazing smasher with that build.

Btw, sorry for the jacked up quote. I'm new to Smashboards and not really sure how to make the quotations work, so I just sort of made it up as I went along.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
@Oops!
Welcome to Smashboards. For easy quoting, click the "Reply" button at the bottom of peoples quotes.

This is why I am of the opinion that if Chrom is in this game and Ike is not, it will not be because Chrom is using Ike's move-set. I am of the opinion that if Ike players are supposed to move on to a new character, that character is Little Mac.

I am leaning toward us getting Ranger Ike again seeing how that seems to be his most common depiction. You rarely see any promotional art featuring Ike as anything but his base class, like all other lords. The primary difference is that, unlike most other lords, Ike's appearance drastically changes upon promotion primarily due to a shift in his palette. In every other class Ike holds, his primary color is brown as opposed to blue.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Thanks for the tip! Ranger Ike does make more sense. I just got so used to seeing Vanguard Ike because I played through Radiant Dawn way more than I did Path of Radiance, so I'm more attached to that outfit, but Brawl is slowly breaking that attachment. When it comes down to it, though, they could put Ike in Tingle's outfit and change Ragnell to a rubber chicken, and I wouldn't care as long as he plays the same.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Chrom would be great in Smash, but I do prefer Ike. That is not to say I don't like Chrom, (I love the damn guy), but...Ike...:3

The only problem I have with Chrom in Smash is just that...do we really need two Falchion users?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Chrom would be great in Smash, but I do prefer Ike. That is not to say I don't like Chrom, (I love the damn guy), but...Ike...:3

The only problem I have with Chrom in Smash is just that...do we really need two Falchion users?
To be fair, Chrom's Falchion looks completely different from Marth's traditional design.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Good point. It's just...it's still Falchion.
Yeah, I know. It'd bother me a bit, too. Another reason I'd like the Great Lord sword-and-lance style, honestly. Even though... it has, like, zero chance of happening.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Yeah, I know. It'd bother me a bit, too. Another reason I'd like the Great Lord sword-and-lance style, honestly. Even though... it has, like, zero chance of happening.
Maybe they'll use Robin instead. Get some sword/tome action going on. Then "Marth" from Awakening could be an alt costume for Marth, no need for two Falchion-wielders. But with Toon Link still in and the infamous Landmaster fiasco, it seems like they're not exactly afraid of cloning when it comes to certain things. It'll probably be Chrom with the Falchion.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Maybe they'll use Robin instead. Get some sword/tome action going on. Then "Marth" from Awakening could be an alt costume for Marth, no need for two Falchion-wielders. But with Toon Link still in and the infamous Landmaster fiasco, it seems like they're not exactly afraid of cloning when it comes to certain things. It'll probably be Chrom with the Falchion.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Back to Ike... His taunts and phrases need to come back! How else am I supposed to know for whom he fights?! How else am I supposed to know if he will have sympathy for me or not?!

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Back to Ike... His taunts and phrases need to come back! How else am I supposed to know for whom he fights?! How else am I supposed to know if he will have sympathy for me or not?!
I LOVE EVERYTHING IKE SAYS. I hope they don't change his taunts/phrases at all. A lot of them are super cheesy, which is part of why I love them, but "Prepare yourself." always seemed terrifying to me just because of his destructive power and absolute certainty in his and his friends' abilities in the games. Coming from Ike, "Prepare yourself." isn't a friendly challenge for a duel. It's a warning.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Will they reveal Ike in E3?
let's just hope he is?
Probably. A blog I follow on Tumblr called ChallengerApproaching pointed out that last E3 we got twelve characters revealed, three of which were newcomers. Nintendo probably has something very big planned. And I can see Ike and Chrom being revealed at the same time in a very cool cutscene like Charizard and Greninja were.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Probably. A blog I follow on Tumblr called ChallengerApproaching pointed out that last E3 we got twelve characters revealed, three of which were newcomers. Nintendo probably has something very big planned. And I can see Ike and Chrom being revealed at the same time in a very cool cutscene like Charizard and Greninja were.
Please let it be so! It'd be like SSE, only better.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Pan up from Marth's feet as he walks toward the camera. Close up on his face. He smirks. Camera switches to a view of Ike's legs. Rangell gets stabbed into the ground beside them. Pan up to Ike's bust as he crosses his arms. "Ike fights for his friends!" "Prepare yourself," he says to Marth and pulls Ragnell from the ground. Epic sword fighting ensues with brief glimpses of Chrom's feet striding towards them. Ike swings and Marth blocks a blow from...Falchion?! "Chrom defends the future!"

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
It's important to note that, while last E3 we got 12 characters revealed, it was also the initial showing of the game. I am skeptical of any future showings revealing that many characters prior to the games release.

That said, I do think that if Ike is in this game, it's certainly possible that he'd be shown off along-side another Fire Emblem new-comer. Well...to a degree. I don't think it'll happen personally. Charizard was sort of a special case since it was just revealed that Transformations were no longer a thing and he was a part of PT's move-set. Ike is Ike. As much as I look foward to seeing him rendered in a Smash U/3DS cut-scene, I'm expecting I won't get to see such a thing until after the game is released.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
It's important to note that, while last E3 we got 12 characters revealed, it was also the initial showing of the game. I am skeptical of any future showings revealing that many characters prior to the games release.

That said, I do think that if Ike is in this game, it's certainly possible that he'd be shown off along-side another Fire Emblem new-comer. Well...to a degree. I don't think it'll happen personally. Charizard was sort of a special case since it was just revealed that Transformations were no longer a thing and he was a part of PT's move-set. Ike is Ike. As much as I look foward to seeing him rendered in a Smash U/3DS cut-scene, I'm expecting I won't get to see such a thing until after the game is released.
I entirely agree with the initial showing argument. I definitely don't think they're gonna show us twelve more, but I'm hoping for at least five-ish. It could all be veterans, but I'd feel let down if that were the case. Here's hoping to at least one newcomer from E3!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
No matter which way things end up going, I take comfort in the fact that, no matter what, we don't have much longer to wait.

Even after E3, the full roster is likely to leak a week or so before release. Then... we shall know.

Sakurai revamping all these veterans really has me amped up, though. Almost as much as I want to see who comes back, I want to see how they've been improved.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Assuming Ike does return(Not that I mind. He's more of a character than Roy. :troll:), I pray that Sakurai doesn't use his God awful Awakening design. You know, this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom