• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Locke17 Locke17 With Falcon, you'll want to keep your feet on the ground when he's rushing you as his grab will beat out any aerial you have due to the speed at which he attacks. Block, side-step, punch him in the visor, something besides trying to retreat with a short-hop so he can't capitalize on your slower attack startup speed. Good use on using your disjoint to your advantage. When going for the dash attack or grab past the initial dash animation make sure to give yourself an extra step, as Ike forces a step only when attacking from that initial animation. Getting Falcon off stage is where Ike has all the advantage, so don't be afraid to get up there and edge-guard. For deep recoveries, Capt is Eruption fodder and a well placed Counter or d-tilt (with a f-tilt or f-smash followup) will send him back into the deep for most of his other options. Keep your attacks as fast as you can will make sure you keep him on lockdown.

As for your fight with the Trainer, don't be afraid to slow down a little. You'll want to stay in motion as much as you can, but there was a lot of random jumping and running around that puts you into a commitment when it comes to what options are available. Ike is at his best when he forces his opponent to come at him, with Ike's full arsenal of options available to counter what your opponent has chosen. You were becoming predictable with where you were going, which luckily your opponent wasn't able to capitalize fully. (not sure if there was a skill gap or lag for that)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
17 matches of Ike vs. Roy from terminalkai again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjguv1fJp6s. All are of different players, 5 on the 3DS, and 12 on the Wii U. I haven't watched all of it yet, but I'm starting to question what the Ike meta is like in Japan... It seems like it's lagging behind... everyone. Maybe I just skipped to the bad players, but they were doing really basic Ike play from the early Wii U days. Not to mention of the 4 I skipped to, only 1 played at what I would consider "good". The other 3 were sitting in shield, rolling a lot, doing predictable things like 1 dude rolled back after every attack, and seemed really uncomfortable with Ike. There was even 1 dude doing F-throw edgeguarding like on For Glory. Just toss him back, wait, toss him, and wait. Really?

I might update my verdict after watching the entire thing...

Edit: Goodish start with the first two - 2nd dude made use of jab mixups very well - and then the third Ike... Hey at least the fourth Ike was kind of good. They need to stop rolling and committing badly. The issue with fighting Roy and characters like him, so Ganondorf, Little Mac, ZSS, and Captain Falcon is that mistakes means death. These characters punish heavily and easily.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: That shield break on the sixth Ike makes me want to punch him in the face. Just take the damage instead of having to wait as Roy slowly charges his Flare Blade to kill you... At least he was able to bring it back a little - freaking roll to Utilt reminds me of roll to Down Smash with Falco. Man, Roy's Up Smash traps landings hard with its many active frames. I have no idea what ninth Ike was doing in the beginning of the match. The miss chance to Utilt Roy at 23:58... His idea of challenging Roy's Flare Blade is kind of ingenious even though it's risky. He literally engaged in a quick draw duel with Roy. If he hits, then he hits, but if Roy hits first, then Roy hits first. There's no Ike's going to telegraph an option; Ike's near you and now he's right next to you.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Last edited:

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
So, I ended up fighting a decent (or at least, what I hope is decent) Mega Man.

I'm not sure if this is enough or if you guys can see it well enough, but I guess I am looking for a bit of critique.

Last edited:

alphex

Smash Rookie
Here are a couple videos of Ryo's Ike

MVG|Ryo (Ike & Palutena) vs. ONI|Phuzix (Sheik)

https://youtu.be/uG5UQpKVRfo?t=3m36s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YYK_WZGhKo (Ryo does switch to Palutena mid set in this video)

I found these two videos pretty useful to me as they are some of the only videos of of a Sheik vs Ike in high level play.

MVG|Ryo (Ike & Palutena) vs. Angel Noa (Ness)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckuFDntjDnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0vnuyih-6E (Ryo also switches to Palutena for one game in this set)

MVG|Ryo (Ike) vs. GoTE|Prodigy (Diddy)

https://youtu.be/DMvLDDN0NaQ

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Got some matches against Myran's Olimar. I didn't save all the replays, but we did a Bo5 set. I only managed to save two.

A couple of things I noted personally:

-He's susceptible to a retreat USmash when recovering
-Eruption is 100% useless against Olimar
-Much like Rosalina, highly susceptible to jabs.
-Defensive play is essential
-Grabs seem to go through your spot-dodges, so it's best to just stay far away from him.
-DTilts all day work.

Anything I miss?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
iight

Eruption isn't useless, if he has pikmin he's forced to go to the ledge earlier, so it forces him to throw away his pikmin and recover later, you can get him to throw away any non-purple pikmin and Eruption anyways while he's getting back. Basically you make him get rid of all his Pikmin and you profit because he has to get more in the mean time.

His grab lasts 9 frames and hits frame 10. our spot dodge has 16 frames of invincibility. You're misstiming it or he's reading your spotdodge if you're getting grabbed through it.

Everything else I agree with.

4MyFriends

Smash Cadet

I was pretty proud of this fight. I normally don't win against a decent Rosalina.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
Trying to apply what I've been practicing. For Glory is of course not the greatest place to do so, but I was wondering if anyone could provide some critique? Thanks!

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ 4MyFriends 4MyFriends
Work on pivot grabs a little, and when to shield grab a little more. Good use of spacing.

@ Crome Crome
Your friend spends too much time just sitting there when he could be doing many actions. Patience is a good thing, but inaction is not. Even if Ike is just walking, he's making the opponent think he's doing something. Stage control is a big part of Ike's game, and standing next to the edge is inviting your opponent to trap you with less wiggle room to setup your KO options. In this situation ROB's 2 ranged abilities require a recharge time, and giving him that much space lets him have all the time he needs. Ike's disjoints are better than most of ROBs, so good spacing is going to help keep the pressure up. Just avoid being directly above or below so you don't get caught in his large smash and aerial hitboxes. I'd also recommend working on fast-falls when on stage to maximize Ike's speed. Lastly, work on edge-guarding. Ike's eruption would have helped a little in the second match when ROB went deep, and walk-off aerials can be godly against ROB when he's used up some of his fuel for Up-B. ROB can be hard to KO due to his great recovery options and heavy weight, but some conditioning goes a long way here. If he thinks you are going for Eruption as your go to, then slipping an F-air or B-air can catch him off guard.

@ CrypticStorm CrypticStorm
Don't be afraid to get up to the edge for Eruption against DK when he's recovering low or deep. Kong Cyclone doesn't shark at those angles, so he's Eruption fodder there. Same for Cap when he has to recover low. If you think you can pull it off, Counter or d-air spiking can work well against DK and Ike. Good use of spot dodges, and use of disjoint. One big recommendation I can make is to pummel more. You had a few grabs on DK that pummeling would have helped you rack up the % you needed to get the KO. Get a good feel for how many you can get at mid and high % will help you rack up faster % for when you get that good read.

And you'll want to almost never challenge another Ike's smash attacks. It's just not healthy if you miss, so it's better to punish his ending lag.

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
@ CrypticStorm CrypticStorm
Don't be afraid to get up to the edge for Eruption against DK when he's recovering low or deep. Kong Cyclone doesn't shark at those angles, so he's Eruption fodder there. Same for Cap when he has to recover low. If you think you can pull it off, Counter or d-air spiking can work well against DK and Ike. Good use of spot dodges, and use of disjoint. One big recommendation I can make is to pummel more. You had a few grabs on DK that pummeling would have helped you rack up the % you needed to get the KO. Get a good feel for how many you can get at mid and high % will help you rack up faster % for when you get that good read.

And you'll want to almost never challenge another Ike's smash attacks. It's just not healthy if you miss, so it's better to punish his ending lag.
Thanks for the tips! Back to the lab to practice the timing for Eruption/how many pummels for mid-high %.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ CrypticStorm CrypticStorm The Lab will help a little, but the CPU isn't very good about resisting a grab or trying to maneuver away from the edge to avoid the Eruption's explosion. There are some characters that have some surprising agility when recovering deep that can throw off the timing of Ike players' Eruption. (ROB and Olimar/Alph are two that immediately spring to mind.) And I've had it where I can pummel a Ness CPU 4 times at 100% but only twice in a real match. Try to have a friend help you against characters you feel you are struggling to get the Eruption with, or grab with, will be more useful in getting practical muscle memory down.

With pummels, remember that over-extending here is just as possible as it is with any combo and it is better to end it a little early to maintain neutral than it is to get greedy. As for Eruption, a little patience goes a long way. (As does some forethought, since a near full charged Eruption has a massive hitbox that can reach beyond the snap!)

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
This was awhile back, but here's a replay of me against my friend online. We usually tech but our internet speed was messing us both up. I'm the only Ike in my community and I really hope to improve. I really like utilizing Ike's aerials and tilts because of there long range, high damage, yada yada yada. I also understand that I have a bad habit of using QD at the wrong times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu87weUh2A

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
This was awhile back, but here's a replay of me against my friend online. We usually tech but our internet speed was messing us both up. I'm the only Ike in my community and I really hope to improve. I really like utilizing Ike's aerials and tilts because of there long range, high damage, yada yada yada. I also understand that I have a bad habit of using QD at the wrong times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu87weUh2A
Be careful of using Quick Draw so much on the ground. It does have some decent speed to cover rolling options but if blocked leaves you wide open for some serious punishes. I recommend it as a mix-up, and work in more dash grabs and dash attacks to keep the mind games going.

To get out of Mario's Up-tilt good SDI and saving your double jump is a must. Once you've given yourself some space (so you aren't stuck in hitstun) you can use your second jump to gain some distance, get around for a setup or shutdown a read.(Marios like to condition a jump away so they can follow up with their Up-B) Mostly, stay calm and carry on as the % build up isn't something to panic over, which will keep your attention on Mario where it belongs.

Don't be afraid to block when you are on the ground and Mario is performing an aerial, especially if you are behind him. B-air and d-air are not safe on shield, and require commitment from Mario to use. You can punish this with a grab or tilt (depending on how much space he gets from the knockback)

Great use of F-air to strike through the fireballs to close the gap on an aerial Mario.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Alright, this is just hilarious but I want to know how the heck this just happened.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
Okay, this was like almost a week and a half ago, but still fairly new in my eyes. I've been going a few rounds with this guy until finally I picked Ike and he chose Ganondorf. And just to humor ya'll, you KNOW mother-f****** hate you when they finally decide to use Ganondorf. Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2Ttum6aI0 (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nm3X6-2LB8 (Part 2)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I still had fun despite getting a little salty and more competitive after that last stunt my opponent pulled on me back in the first link. Fill free to tell me what I could have done right to make my fight run much smoother because it is rare that I fight a Ganondorf in singles.

EDIT: OMG, just watching this again, lol. I need to get it together with Ike already. How do you Ike mains do it?

Last edited:

goose32

Smash Cadet
Okay, this was like almost a week and a half ago, but still fairly new in my eyes. I've been going a few rounds with this guy until finally I picked Ike and he chose Ganondorf. And just to humor ya'll, you KNOW mother-f****** hate you when they finally decide to use Ganondorf. Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2Ttum6aI0 (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nm3X6-2LB8 (Part 2)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I still had fun despite getting a little salty and more competitive after that last stunt my opponent pulled on me back in the first link. Fill free to tell me what I could have done right to make my fight run much smoother because it is rare that I fight a Ganondorf in singles.

EDIT: OMG, just watching this again, lol. I need to get it together with Ike already. How do you Ike mains do it?
One thing is to use fsmash less. It's really only useful as a mind game/crazy-hard-read option, not as a punish. It has like, 30 frames of startup lag, which is huge.

Ike has a very good grab game, with both d-throw and u-throw leading into follow ups at various percents. D-throw leads into f-air (or potentially u-air or b-air, depending on their DI) at lower percents, while u-throw leads into f-air all the way up to medium/low high percent (depends on your opponent's character and how stale u-air is). Try to find ways to implement more grab combos, since they're a major strength of Ike's.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
One thing is to use fsmash less. It's really only useful as a mind game/crazy-hard-read option, not as a punish. It has like, 30 frames of startup lag, which is huge.

Ike has a very good grab game, with both d-throw and u-throw leading into follow ups at various percents. D-throw leads into f-air (or potentially u-air or b-air, depending on their DI) at lower percents, while u-throw leads into f-air all the way up to medium/low high percent (depends on your opponent's character and how stale u-air is). Try to find ways to implement more grab combos, since they're a major strength of Ike's.
Ah, you're right. I hadn't really paid attention to the way how I kept using Fsmash. I guess maybe because I wanted to avoid Ganondorf's Flame choke, so using Fsmash at a safe distance while beating him to the punch from using it was sorta my best strategy. I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of grabbing, but only because I suck at doing it and I hadn't allowed myself to practice it. Not just for Ike, but all of my characters.

I'll take your advice into consideration. Thank you so much for taking time into helping me, and I'll practice on a grab combo that'll work for me.

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
Hey guys. I'm back with another set of matches. I'd love some critique/tips on what to improve on! :)

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack
Hey guys. I'm back with another set of matches. I'd love some critique/tips on what to improve on! :)

Game 1 & 2:
You were kinda... really good. Not much to say about it.

Game 3:
Watch the B button use. You aren't getting punished for it but don't make a habit of using Counter.

Game 4:
For Glory Falcons can't control themselves and are constantly aggro. Let them do their silly dash>back rolls until they approach with something stupid and punish. You were throwing out a lot of attacks after resets when it's not really necessary.

U-mos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keith_Anyan
Hi guys, I'm a newcomer here and Ike is my main since Brawl.
But to present myself nothing worth a video of one of my fight : www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2XsjQmFRM (as it says, critiques are welcome). I like to play with aerial B side, because there is no landing lag if you do it properly, and of course I finished with an Eruption edgeguard (I finally got the right timing in the end :))

Unfortunately, I play a lot in "For Glory" because I live in Belgium, and I didn't find a lot of decent Smash4 players in this country (I'm French btw). So I'm hoping to find here good Ike players to play with, even if online isn't the best way to get better.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978

1. Generally use Jab OoS more. There were several instances where Jab would have been the better option like 1:28. Jab is our quickest option and it eats spotdodges alive. Dont complete your jab combo if your opponent holds shield though. Jab 3 is punishable.

2. If you want to approach, mix up your approach option. You were obvisouly going for way too many grabs. Mix in some dash attacks, spaced (aerial) attacks and empty hops.

3. Fast fall more especially if you are above your opponent. It will also help you with your string combos since it let's you return to the ground faster.

4. Mix up your landing options. You were going for an aerial most of the time which made you really predictable.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
That moment when someone switches to your main to try to troll you.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
That falcon was terrible, lol. Regardless, a JV3 is always impressive :)
Falcons are Ike's easiest matchup if you ask me. 95% of all my JV3's are either against Falcon or Little Mac. The rest are Ganondorf.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I played a laggy game against Elfy for his twitch stream. I can do okay as long as game speed is consistent. Smooth or laggy is fine but the transition between the two throws off my timing.

So with that pre-Johning out of the way, here's our match on stream. Some missed inputs and stuff but I feel I probably represented him ok.

http://www.twitch.tv/freeelfy/v/21075438?t=2h28m00s (should automatically link to 2:28:00)

Last edited:

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
Came across a pretty decent Bowser player (at least I think he was decent) the other day, so figured I'd upload the matches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom