• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Did a set with Demolisher on Smashladder after losing badly to Dyr. I made serious adjustments to my playstyle.

ZaeemZ

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfb8XW25dM

Guess I'll post this.

Feel free to rip my Ike a new one in critique.

I would say try not to get nervous, and reduce use of smash attacks since every time u used one he killed u(only use if you really think they will do something rather than trying to finish his stock). also try and do different get ups for the most part u always just got up normally and that is why u got read in on match. but these are just thought i am no pro just some thoughts for u to think of.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
That forward tilt against the fox side-b was glorious. Why have I never thought of that? How strict are the timing requirements on that?
He tried to go through me. Timing is easy. If he went for ledge you can downward angle to hit him anyways

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfb8XW25dM

Guess I'll post this.

Feel free to rip my Ike a new one in critique.
One thing I noticed that cost you a lot of damage and the second game was that you kept doing the neutral getup from the ledge. I honestly don't remember you doing any other option in those situations.

I'm a little less confident in this piece of advice because I feel that I'm impeding on your style rather than giving you actual advice, but what I would do would be to space more with pivot ftilts, jab1-2, fairs, and retreating bairs. You were attacking his shield a lot, so I would've liked to see some tomahawks. But since he was putting his shield down prematurely, you probably didn't see a need to.

In your last stock, you looked really desperate for a kill. IIRC, you tried an usmash 3 times. I would have liked to see more patience and more solid play, perhaps leading to a bair kill.

I know I don't post a lot and I don't have a lot of merit to my name, but I hope my advice is useful. Or if you actually see something wrong with my advice, feel free to pop off!

Edit: d'oh I just realized I said the exact same thing Zaeem said

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Fought Naotosenpai. Little Mac almost ended me. I won Game 1, but didn't record it, so here's Game 2 and Game 3.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
Hey guys I've never had any of my footage online (since I don't own the game and can only play it at the weekly tourneys we have in the area) but I managed to get some of my friendlies on the tournament stream. If anyone has any constructive feedback for my Ike I'd really appreciate it! I'm the Ike with the "TCBY?" tag.
http://www.twitch.tv/gameclucks/v/22260528?t=06h21m36s

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was fighting sloppy in this game but I know that 2nd stock hurt his soul

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Rango...

Once you're in, you're in. Don't get up tilted. Or DI up and away so you don't get up tilted for long. If he gets perfect N-Air strings there isn't much you can do.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403

How do I fight Ryu and avoid the infinite combo at the end?
Ike's super combo food for Ryu, unfortunately. I don't really have much advice other than don't get up-tilted in the first place.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Got some Falcon matches with Sabaca on Smashladder.

Looking for tips on landing, ledge recovery, and not getting randomly dashgrabbed, jabbed, or dash attacked out of the air.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715

Looking for tips on landing, ledge recovery, and not getting randomly dashgrabbed, jabbed, or dash attacked out of the air.
Honestly, I think you're better than me and you were basically doing everything I would've done and then some. Some questionable moves here and there but who doesn't do that? If you want them, here are my thoughts:

The one thing that I find indispensable in matchups like these is that I approach them with a particular mindset. I mained Akihiko (close-ranged boxer) in P4A and Yosuke (REALLY fast low-health character with lots of options to run away with) was always annoying to fight. In a fight like that, you almost never want to aim to hit where your opponent's at. You should instead aim for where your opponent will be.

In the neutral, don't be in one place and always keep moving. In all likelihood, you will get grabbed, but you're not going to make it easy. Make him work for it. Make him guess where you're going to be. I think it goes without saying, but always mixup your getup options. Consciously remember the decisions you've made on previous getups and recoveries and mix them up. Likewise, when you decide to go on the offensive, you have to think the same way. Hit him where you think he'll be. I actually don't think you have any problems doing this, but it's something to keep in mind.

No idea if that helped or not. At the very least, I hope it was a good read.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
As far as landing safely, you should mix your landing options up a bit more. Like the Falcon player showed, it was pretty clear what you were going to do in those landing situations. Three more options for landing that I didn't see utilized very much would be challenging their option with an aerial, using quickdraw to land further away and using counter for hard reads on their attack as you land. Definitely can't overuse those options, though, since they're super unsafe if the opponent knows it's coming.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I would really appreciate some critique on my match with Eldin. Here's where I lost at Heart of the South, and Rosalina has been my bane for the longest time.

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
My thoughts on the Ike/ZSS match-up are in the description. Feel free to leave thoughts on how to better fight ZSS as I admit, I do have issues fighting against her.

ZaeemZ

Smash Rookie
My thoughts on the Ike/ZSS match-up are in the description. Feel free to leave thoughts on how to better fight ZSS as I admit, I do have issues fighting against her.

i am not a pro or even consider myself at a high level of play. but i would say u use many dash attacks and never landed a nair, which i mean might have worked in this fight but if the opponent noticed that u only use dash attack u would have lost. generally more mix ups use aerial approaches as well as grabs. as for the nair it is a very nice attack in my opinion and could be used more. also i would say use less eruptions since this was online it may have worked but that move is generally very laggy and best for edge guarding which is what u should have done when they recovered very low rather than just watching. for the match up as a whole try to always predict the down b most zss use as a way to recover on stage rather than up b so use that to hit a smash or an eruption or fair.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Had some problems with Twi's Peach. We were trading wins back and forth, but I have a bad time edgeguarding, landing, and getting out of his combos.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
Had some problems with Twi's Peach. We were trading wins back and forth, but I have a bad time edgeguarding, landing, and getting out of his combos.
It seems like you did not respect Peach very much and got bodied. Don't play super aggro and throw out moves against her, she WILL punish you, guaranteed. Dash attack to punish her float and respect the spacing and timing of her fair. I play against a Peach in Washington pretty regularly and it is a super frustrating match up. You have to play read heavy since the majority of Peach's approaches are safe. Let me know if you find anything in that match up that's useful since I'm still trying to take a set off that Peach in bracket T_T

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
My thoughts on the Ike/Roy match-up (see video description). Feel free to leave your thoughts, or to critique my gameplay. Always looking for tips/new ideas :)

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280

Give me some feedback so I can improve guys.
Thanks.
>Less random Smashes. Save these for kill percent.
>Your Eruption was really good. I was surprised that would work. I would normally bait Counter, but just keep it in mind
>No need to be in the air throwing aerials too much. You can get punished.
>Use more grab combos. You can always go for a tomahawk, too.
>Space your Fairs further

I can tell you're playing online due to the movement issues, so there's only so much I can tell you about that. But you can address the rest in future matches.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
so here's a tourney set. I'm a developing Ike main and I'd like critiques as far as fox goes. it's the set and basically my reaction and analysis. critiques welcomed and desired plz! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z1fmJWRqLY
You basically said everything that you have to work on in your commentary. I play the Fox matchup pretty frequently (will probably have to play two/three in bracket today) so I may be able to give some of my experience.

As far as the general Fawks matchup goes, Ike can edgeguard Fox SUPER hard, so the best possible way you can take stocks off of Fox is maintaining stage control, forcing Fox of the edge with an attack or throw and then gimping the s*** out of him.

As far as the player specific matchup, you noted the majority of his habits in the commentary. Punish those backwards rolls with dash attack (alternate between c-sticked version and delayed version depending on the timing of his roll). As far as his run-up shield habit goes, just read it and punish with grab. He wasn't mixing up his recovery super well so punish him for his recovery habits. For example, at 4:55 the smart edgeguard option since it was pretty clear he likes to recover stage height was ftilt imo, eruption's gonna take too long in that situation. Read his recovery option and punish accordingly.

If Fox is recovering high (rarely happens, but it does), upsmash or basically any aerial will cover that. If Fox is recovering stage height you have an abundance of read options, including pivot fsmash and ftilt, retreating upsmash, sometimes dtilt, and retreating uptilt. If he's recovering at ledge height with side b, dsmash and dtilt are usually the best options. If he's recovering low, then s/he's done goofed. Eruption is basically a guaranteed kill vs Fox's upb if you don't mess the timing up. Other misc. options include run-off fair and dair.

That quickdraw to the platform around 2:46 was a super smart landing mixup, btw! Hope I helped, feel free to ask any questions and if you discover anything else in the matchup!

EDIT:
Also never miss any techs against Fox or you'll lose a stock at kill percents on the upsmash unless they mess up, so always be prepared to tech on stage.

Last edited:

neil2020

Smash Cadet
You basically said everything that you have to work on in your commentary. I play the Fox matchup pretty frequently (will probably have to play two/three in bracket today) so I may be able to give some of my experience.

As far as the general Fawks matchup goes, Ike can edgeguard Fox SUPER hard, so the best possible way you can take stocks off of Fox is maintaining stage control, forcing Fox of the edge with an attack or throw and then gimping the s*** out of him.

As far as the player specific matchup, you noted the majority of his habits in the commentary. Punish those backwards rolls with dash attack (alternate between c-sticked version and delayed version depending on the timing of his roll). As far as his run-up shield habit goes, just read it and punish with grab. He wasn't mixing up his recovery super well so punish him for his recovery habits. For example, at 4:55 the smart edgeguard option since it was pretty clear he likes to recover stage height was ftilt imo, eruption's gonna take too long in that situation. Read his recovery option and punish accordingly.

If Fox is recovering high (rarely happens, but it does), upsmash or basically any aerial will cover that. If Fox is recovering stage height you have an abundance of read options, including pivot fsmash and ftilt, retreating upsmash, sometimes dtilt, and retreating uptilt. If he's recovering at ledge height with side b, dsmash and dtilt are usually the best options. If he's recovering low, then s/he's done goofed. Eruption is basically a guaranteed kill vs Fox's upb if you don't mess the timing up. Other misc. options include run-off fair and dair.

That quickdraw to the platform around 2:46 was a super smart landing mixup, btw! Hope I helped, feel free to ask any questions and if you discover anything else in the matchup!

EDIT:
Also never miss any techs against Fox or you'll lose a stock at kill percents on the upsmash unless they mess up, so always be prepared to tech on stage.
Awesome. Thank you for the feedback. How would you best punish lzr pressure, or would you just kind of shrug off the 1-2 percent and just kind of intimidate with proximity/tilts/dash attack?

Also one more specific question: how would you rate my mvt overall? that's the main thing I've been working on in my spare time bc in watching top level Ikes that's where they seem to get the most mileage.... it's not so much what they connect with but how they do it (Ryo for example... shoot that man scores KOs just because he scares the living daylights out of the other person lol)

Last edited:

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Hum ok forgot that hitstun was only during aerial lauching.

But sometimes (around 25-40% depending on the character), I could double Bair on the edge in training mode (the opponent was offstage after the first bair). Can't do that properly tho

Last edited:

neil2020

Smash Cadet
Hum ok forgot that hitstun was only during aerial lauching.

But sometimes (around 25-40% depending on the character), I could double Bair on the edge in training mode (the opponent was offstage after the first bair). Can't do that properly tho
You can definitely catch them with two at the edge (because of angle/fall speed and whatnot) but they have to DI badly lol. In this situation sheik definitely could have made it back bc her DI avoided your 2nd bair, and she still has her second jump, Bouncing Fish, and her up b.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
Punish those backwards rolls with dash attack (alternate between c-sticked version and delayed version depending on the timing of his roll.
Curious by what you mean by this, are you talking about normal A dash attack and C-stick? There's a difference?

neil2020

Smash Cadet
Curious by what you mean by this, are you talking about normal A dash attack and C-stick? There's a difference?

If you dash and immediately hit down on the c stick your DA will come out immediately. if you press A you have to wait for the initial dash animation to end.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
If you dash and immediately hit down on the c stick your DA will come out immediately. if you press A you have to wait for the initial dash animation to end.
Thanks a lot! I never knew about this now I want to test it out.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
Here's my match with Vinnie (Sheik) at Tipped Off 11. Definitely looking for some strong critique here.

it seems both games you lost last stock due to panicking on recovery. Maybe be a bit more cognizant? That being said, you did SUPER well against Vinnie that first game! Taking a stock off one of the best Sheiks in the world is a pretty big feat on its own!

Top Bottom