• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
Hi, I've been playing Ike more and I've been looking for tips to get better. I think I've got most of the fundamentals down but could probably use some tips. I can't seem to find my tourney footage right now but here's a few more casual matches.
In addition to what LordShade said, I think you should be grabbing a lot more. You are certainly getting a lot of mileage out of dash attack, but there were many instances where a grab would have worked better, especially after conditioning them to block your dash attack.

Against that Ganon, here's a thing that I like to do. Whenever you see someone just spamming smash attacks or charging one, hoping that you'll run into one of them, and you don't feel confident in your ability to punish (especially online), just charge Quick Draw outside their range. Release it right after they throw out a move. I've never had it not work before. Sure it's not the best punish, but it's probably the easiest, safest, and almost guaranteed.

I know I already posted the link to the Twitch video here, but these matches I had on SoT, which happened about a month ago, are getting re-posted here because I have finally found them in GLORIOUS YOUTUBE FORMAT:

I remember watching this when it came out! Awesome performance, man. Thanks for going out to represent our character. There's only one thing about your play that really stood out to me as strange. You don't seem to be going for grab combos a lot. You do them sometimes, but most of the time you opt to throw them off stage over the two-hitter (uthrow/dthrow to fair/bair/uair). I think you should be doing this a lot more because if you do the combo, not only do you do more damage, you've sent them off stage too if you're facing the appropriate direction. Even if you're facing the stage, you'll land before they do, so there's more potential damage in a landing trap. Getting these combos in build a lot of momentum for Ike too, and for people who are not used to getting hit by them, it can be very demoralizing.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I might have cracked a weakness in Sheik's armor. Note two things.

1) Sheik's landing can be compromised by dash attack.
2) Town & City can be an effective course to take her to.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
not gonna lie, that Sheik up air @ 1:36 in the second video was super hype haha
I enjoyed the use of the dash attack in the first video to cover Sheik's landing option. I think
also looking on critique for my Ike in the MK matchup T_T. Not my strongest showing but I'd like to hear from you guys on my bad habits, etc.

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572

Tell me what I'm doing wrong please. I spent this match trying out different edgeguard techniques vs Peach. I think a footstool could be a really good option for her low recoveries. Thoughts?

I also would like to point out that this was online.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Please don't ever regrab the ledge with Aether.

esp against counter opponents.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I find it to be a really good option, especially on BF where I can hit them for a good distance underneath. I'll admit it's a hard habit to break for those counters, but you can even wait for the counter and still hit them, it's all about the situation of course.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I'd always just shield and wait. It'll never shield break and I get a free punish because you're re-grabbing the ledge so you have 0 invincibility. People who don't do this don't realize it until after the fact.

Maik93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maik_93
I think it is a valuable Option if you Opponent has a Setup on stage... for example if a ROB placed his Giro and starts charging his U-Smash you can answer this with another aether.
But I agree it should be used very sparingly

ZaeemZ

Smash Rookie
Looking for some feedback on my gameplay in this match.

Your Ike was good and just curious if the ryu was a FG ryu because he didn't do many combos on you but anyways. your ike was good in my opinion but almost or all approach you made on the ground was dash attack, i would say try to mix it up. but that is the only big thing that you shoul

ZaeemZ

Smash Rookie
I would like to get some Feedback on my set vs. this cloud...starting at 1:16:45

http://www.twitch.tv/saltyarena/v/30599768

I know I made some mistakes, like the 1. stock in the last game, but still any Feedback is appreciated
well first off i would say be careful in the air because if i am not mistaken clouds aerials are faster in coming out so be careful in air since he seemed to get you many times in the air. also i would say that you should try and gimp his recovery, use counter since he doesn't ledge snap that should gimp him or use a down tilit. also try to keep more stage control then cloud since like i said before he has bad recover and to win easily is to keep him off stage.

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Hello Ike mains! My brother and I have been working up some new characters lately - here's his Ike vs. my Marth in a best of 3. He's still relatively new to competitive 1v1, so any advice on his biggest flaws would be much appreciated!
I'm still very new with Marth too, but I'm posting on their board as well.

Last edited:

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
Hello Ike mains! My brother and I have been working up some new characters lately - here's his Ike vs. my Marth in a best of 3. He's still relatively new to competitive 1v1, so any advice on his biggest flaws would be much appreciated!

Hiya! As far as his worst habits go, he needs to choose safer options in neutral than dash attack and rando forward smashes offensively. Defensively, he needs to do something other than constantly rolling to the right, though he did have some great uses of jab. His kill options were solid when he got them (like the bair in game one), but the only kill he got with the forward smash was because your Marth didn't snap ledge. I'd suggest he not use it until he becomes more acquainted with Ike's better moves, such as auto canceled fairs, nairs and bairs.

I also notice that you guys are in the Seattle area! If you're not busy tomorrow (Monday, Dec. 21), Gameclucks in Lynnwood will be doing their weekly bracket; sign ups are at 6:30. Or yall can show up early for some Fire Emblem practice haha (my friend and I are proficient with the majority of the FE characters). If you want more information on that event feel free to PM me.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Hiya! As far as his worst habits go, he needs to choose safer options in neutral than dash attack and rando forward smashes offensively. Defensively, he needs to do something other than constantly rolling to the right, though he did have some great uses of jab. His kill options were solid when he got them (like the bair in game one), but the only kill he got with the forward smash was because your Marth didn't snap ledge. I'd suggest he not use it until he becomes more acquainted with Ike's better moves, such as auto canceled fairs, nairs and bairs.

I also notice that you guys are in the Seattle area! If you're not busy tomorrow (Monday, Dec. 21), Gameclucks in Lynnwood will be doing their weekly bracket; sign ups are at 6:30. Or yall can show up early for some Fire Emblem practice haha (my friend and I are proficient with the majority of the FE characters). If you want more information on that event feel free to PM me.
Thanks! He says he'll start working on the autocancelled aerials, and F-smashes are a bad habit I've noticed too. I'm actually the only one in Seattle, I'm out visiting family. I've been to an Orbitar and want to check out Gameworks - Gameclucks is one I'd be interested in if it weren't too far away from me. Thanks for the advice and the offer!

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
Thanks! He says he'll start working on the autocancelled aerials, and F-smashes are a bad habit I've noticed too. I'm actually the only one in Seattle, I'm out visiting family. I've been to an Orbitar and want to check out Gameworks - Gameclucks is one I'd be interested in if it weren't too far away from me. Thanks for the advice and the offer!
Oh gotcha - my other FE friend, Shinkou, is the one who won that Orbitar tournament haha
I'll keep my eye out for your tag in future locals lol
Also, let your brother know to work on pivot grabs and recovering to the edge a little bit safer!

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915

I second Crelrn Crelrn on needing to choose safer options. FSmash, again, is a no-no and he has no real reason to use it when FTilt and UTilt exist. His neutral also needs alot less rolling and alot more....basic movement. Starting around 30%S, he should be using UThrow instead of DThrow. He also needs to be using DTilt more. Early on,he could've challenged your range with DTilt instead of FTilt.

As for your Marth, I know 'tis not the place, but three suggestions: Walk, Jab, and Dancing Blade. Walking for Marth is less committal vs. running, so you get all of your options on standby. Marth's Jab is much better after 1.0.8, and it lets you start a mixup. DB for just punishing. I saw alot of scenarios where you could've punished him with DB and start a landing trap.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280

I got messed up by a diddy on Anthers today. SDing definitely didn't help but I still feel I need critique on it
RAR Bairs are good. Don't let him get into your head and force an SD. You're better off on the ground so he can't Fair you in the face if you shield.

Was that Diddy dyr?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Went up against Rayquaza07 on Smashladder. Cloud's auto-cancels are lethal since it makes him hard to punish. I note that I went too high for Side B at the end and took up my double jump and SD'd. Any tips are appreciated.

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
I pride myself on my recovery game as Ike so I'll chime in

I personally don't like using side b verses charachters that have a long straight projectile with a tall hitbox like cloud and greninja unless I have too, or was sent very high and far away to the point where I know I could go over it.

Going low with double jump I still feel like I have more optolns and time to see there position they take for gaurding. Because I canstill jump up to sideB and you have a good variety of aether heights to choose from. As long as you very the height you do aether cloud trying to hit your back as you are in the move is much harder and practcally takes a hard read IMO.

Lastly I find myself about once a game or set jumping over the projectile aetherig way up high above the ledge. Risky and you can meet a upsmash or a finishing touch on your way down, but it is an option that can be mixed in

Last edited:

ZaeemZ

Smash Rookie
Went up against Rayquaza07 on Smashladder. Cloud's auto-cancels are lethal since it makes him hard to punish. I note that I went too high for Side B at the end and took up my double jump and SD'd. Any tips are appreciated.

though this might not be much help, i would say you can sometimes drop down when people wait at the ledge and do another aether also seemed like u were grabbed a lot for holding shield for long periods of time.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
though this might not be much help, i would say you can sometimes drop down when people wait at the ledge and do another aether also seemed like u were grabbed a lot for holding shield for long periods of time.
I was. Simply using jabs to get his dashgrabs off of me would have been a good solution.

D

Deleted member

Have had Ike as a secondary for a while now, but I really wanna get some outside criticism for it so I can know what In fumbling on and what my strong points are. Friendly match with a friend of mine, @w00tkins.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915

Have had Ike as a secondary for a while now, but I really wanna get some outside criticism for it so I can know what In fumbling on and what my strong points are. Friendly match with a friend of mine, @w00tkins.
From DTilt, starting around 30%, you can combo into FAir for easy %. Early in the match, you ShortHopped NAired right into his UTilt when you could've Shield Dashed instead. Speaking of NAir, UTilt or FAir would've been a better followup than USmash.
Blade Beams can be Jabbed, NAired, or just shielding will do.

As a whole, you need alot more grabs in your playstyle. Ike's Throw game is solid, and any grab you get on Cloud at High % is death.

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
Had some matches with a friend of mine.

So, here's the thing. I feel like I can't properly deal with defensive play in neutral, and I also feel like I'm too predictable during my disadvantaged state. What should I do about that, and where should I practice those changes?

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
Some matches I had against a friend.. poor Falcon really doesn't do well against Ike lol.

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
So, I asked two friends of mine (waasabi and notmx, if anyone goes on Anther's) if my neutral was lacking, and they said that I don't pressure enough, so I did a bit of practice on my pressuring using these two guys (also friends) as guinea pigs

So, the question is, aside from general critique, what should I change about my pressure game?

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Went up against Fatality again. I feel like I've gotten closer to matching him in neutral. I know I could have done better, but it's still hard to find out what exactly. His dashgrabs just beat my jabs most of the time.

Last edited:

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
Went up against Fatality again. I feel like I've gotten closer to matching him in neutral. I know I could have done better, but it's still hard to find out what exactly. His dashgrabs just beat my jabs most of the time.

Like the commentator said, more pivot grabs; lots of opportunities for those. If I could pick one thing I'd do differently it would definitely be other edgeguarding options other than dtilt since that was definitely not working. Good stuff, though!

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
So, I asked two friends of mine (waasabi and notmx, if anyone goes on Anther's) if my neutral was lacking, and they said that I don't pressure enough, so I did a bit of practice on my pressuring using these two guys (also friends) as guinea pigs

So, the question is, aside from general critique, what should I change about my pressure game?
Not a critique, but just an fyi that walk-off counter destroys DK's recovery. Also, sorry double post!

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
A couple of matches I had against two pretty solid players (at least in my opinion). Would love some critique if at all possible

Last edited:

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
If you watch Ryo play, he typically opts for a conversion to Dtilt or a grab, rather than jab3, out of jab2. You may want to practice that offline first though, and you cant really go wron with a full jab combo, I guess.

Top Bottom