• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280

Was on For Glory not too long ago and faced against a guy named HERO. He had a really good Link and Roy and we both had our share of wins and losses. Most of our matches lasted too long for me to upload except for this one. I accidentally threw out a couple forward smashes when I wanted to do forward tilts and I got punished pretty bad for it. XD

Also any input on how I could have done better would be appreciated. I'm always looking to improve with my Ike. o:
Good use of Counter near the end. I love how you answered back at him and then killed his Up B. I can just help with a few things since you really handled him well.

>Spend more time edgeguarding rather than just standing there. Even if you do nothing or remain on-stage, get in his head. They probably won't roll to you. I would wait at the edge and then do a retreating Nair so any side of your blade will hit whether they get up neutral, roll, or jump.

>Grab is your best punish. You missed several opportunities for superior damage. DThrow/Uthrow into Nair/Fair will net you the most damage.

>Using grabs is also better for throwing your enemy off-stage. Ike excels at edgeguarding, and you want Roy off-stage as much as possible. At high percents beyond UThrow combos, feel free to FThrow or BThrow him off-stage so you can prep a walk-off Fair, Eruption, or another edge-guard opportunity.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Try not to use QD on the ground unless you are chasing your target from a roll and you know it will connect. Otherwise a good opponent will capitalize on your ending lag. Dash grabs and dash attacks tend to be more healthy. Using Quick Draw as a mixup is nice, but your QD didn't have any chance of connecting when you fired it. The read was pretty hard, but luckily your opponent didn't catch on to capitalize with a FFing b-air.

Other than that, don't forget to use your d-tilt. It comes out fast, has almost the same range as f-tilt and sets up into lovely combos until higher %. F-tilt can be dangerous to use due to its startup frames (it's faster than it used to be, but still isn't as foolproof as d-tilt), so I recommend keeping f-tilt for soft reads and attacks at max spacing.

And you'll want to practice using that c-stick more. I know you say you prefer to avoid it, but it makes it much easier to get accurate tilt results. There was a point where you spammed f-tilt and u-tilt when your opponent wasn't near you, which I'm guessing it was you were having a hard time getting the character to turn around (whether it was due to controls or lag.) F-tilt is very easy to control it's direction without accidentally performing a dash attack with just basic attack c-stick configuration, and a turn around grab/u-tilt/d-tilt can be performed with tap-jump off by using the the high diagonals on the control stick. (Aim for about 10 or 2 o' clock on the stick respectively for a good range.) Learning the upper angles can help even if you don't use the c-stick, since it will allow you to perform turnaround u-tilt (or d-tilt if you aim for 7 and 5 o clock respectively). That has helped me in the past.

You have a similar bad habit I do, which is using rolls way too much for positioning. It's not excessive, but you end up finding yourself in the same position you were in when you initiated the roll since your opponent did the same thing. A few retreating short hops would have allowed you to either b-air or n-air your opponent while they are helpless. Practice working in more retreating short hops into your game, as rolling like that can be really detrimental against opponents that have great dash options. (It's a habit you don't want when fighting speedsters like Cap or Sonic.)

All the FE characters share a similar weakness with their recoveries, and that is their sharking. It normally is a good thing, but Ike's Counter works wonders in most situations with this as only the deepest of recoveries are prevented from our wrath. If the angle is off to use Counter, then walk-off aerials can work for you.(or if you have the guts, a d-air spike! That walk off Counter at the end was a good call.) Don't forget to work some grabs in. Your opponent was catching on to your jab tactics, and one good grab would have helped reduce the number of counters used on you.
Thanks! I do actually use the c stick a lot more offline, but I've lost so many matches due to aerial attacks never coming out due to lag eating the inputs. It strangely doesn't seem to affect manual inputs for some reason.

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
Here's some videos of me, just to give an idea of my play style. I'm not sure where I'd rank in skill. Though I picked matches I look good in, I'm sure there are still ways I can improve whether I'm doing good or bad. So all critiques welcome. I'll eventually post bad videos.

vs Rosilina

vs Megaman. Struggled here.

vs Shulk

Last edited:

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
Here's some videos of me, just to give an idea of my play style. I'm not sure where I'd rank in skill. Though I picked matches I look good in, I'm sure there are still ways I can improve whether I'm doing good or bad. So all critiques welcome. I'll eventually post bad videos.

vs Rosilina

vs Shulk
Well one thing I have to say is good job of capitalizing on Rosa's recovery, here's some advice, if Rosa is pestering you with Luma, jab Luma, it knocks away Luma the quickest out of all Ike's moves, especially if they just respawned.
Didn't watch any of the others because I'm tired and I'm going to bed. I may watch the others tomorrow.

Last edited:

4MyFriends

Smash Cadet
Good use of Counter near the end. I love how you answered back at him and then killed his Up B. I can just help with a few things since you really handled him well.

>Spend more time edgeguarding rather than just standing there. Even if you do nothing or remain on-stage, get in his head. They probably won't roll to you. I would wait at the edge and then do a retreating Nair so any side of your blade will hit whether they get up neutral, roll, or jump.

>Grab is your best punish. You missed several opportunities for superior damage. DThrow/Uthrow into Nair/Fair will net you the most damage.

>Using grabs is also better for throwing your enemy off-stage. Ike excels at edgeguarding, and you want Roy off-stage as much as possible. At high percents beyond UThrow combos, feel free to FThrow or BThrow him off-stage so you can prep a walk-off Fair, Eruption, or another edge-guard opportunity.
Yeah I definitely should have attempted more edgeguarding, but I didn't want to take any chances. It's just me being nervous is all lol.

Roy's speed is intimidating. I wasn't even sure if I could pull a grab on him or not. Would have helped if I did attempt grabs though.

Anyway thanks for your input. I appreciate it. There will be more videos coming from me soon, so I hope you and everyone else here will watch them. I'm always eager to improve.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
After watching the past few Serving Smash Perfect Shield Option Select videos I did some experimenting to see how Ike benefits. This was a highlight from my first session of practice thought you guys might like to see it :)

https://youtu.be/o0VMbQsqjTg

This was a Perfect Shield OS FTilt which I used against a Robin that had a habit of throwing out her fire move, it paid off and I won the match in the end (full vid is on my channel) :)

I'm fairly new to Smash (coming from a Street Fighter background) but I definitely think I've found my main in Ike, he really suits the SF mentality of spacing, footsies, reads and hard punishes. I'm really enjoying using him, I'm also really enjoying reading these threads. You guys are great, keep up the good work and I hope I can be a part of your community as well! :)

Last edited:

4MyFriends

Smash Cadet

Last video I'll be posting for awhile. Wasn't really sure what my opponent was trying to do. o.O

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I got whooped at our summer circuit finale qualifier bracket. Maybe I'm lacking in offline practice since I've been traveling this whole summer, maybe I just can't deal with projectiles, maybe I'm just not used to the pro controller. Maybe it's all three.

It's probably all of the above plus the fact that I'm not very good with the fundamentals of the game to begin with.

I need to not be bad.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727

Last video I'll be posting for awhile. Wasn't really sure what my opponent was trying to do. o.O
You have to be careful with Bowser. He's got a lot of tools to keep you on your toes when spot dodging and blocking. 2 of his specials and smashes eat spot dodgers, while he comes with 2 grabs for those who are shield heavy. Best defense against Bowser from my experience is to space, since most of his moves require wind up to use which will give you time to figure out when to block/dodge/roll/Counter. Not too much of an issue in this fight, but there were a few times during the match where a good Bowser would have got some good hits on you that this one didn't capitalize. He liked using Bowser's power, but wasn't optimizing his options to keep himself quick enough to keep up with you.

A little better understanding of Ike's spacing will help speed things up for you. There were a few times where you could have dashed in with a Dash Attack when he was using his D-smash that would have let you just walloped him, for example.

Only other thing I can think of is to get more aggressive with your edge guarding. Bowser is an easy KO when recovering low and deep since he has a hard time clearing the ledge with a rising aerial, which makes him Eruption fodder.

You played well. You made great use of Ike's pivot f-tilts to space yourself on a charging target, and you capitalized on stage spikes well for good follow-ups on a heavy target. ;)

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280

Grand finals against a Sonic at a recent tournament. Anything I miss besides ramming my Fairs into his shield for a free grab?

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
Well one thing I have to say is good job of capitalizing on Rosa's recovery, here's some advice, if Rosa is pestering you with Luma, jab Luma, it knocks away Luma the quickest out of all Ike's moves, especially if they just respawned.
Didn't watch any of the others because I'm tired and I'm going to bed. I may watch the others tomorrow.
Jab 1, 2, or all 3?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID

Grand finals against a Sonic at a recent tournament. Anything I miss besides ramming my Fairs into his shield for a free grab?
What was the stage list for the tournament? Going to FD every game isn't what I'd recommend if he did strike SV like they were saying.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What was the stage list for the tournament? Going to FD every game isn't what I'd recommend if he did strike SV like they were saying.
I think he struck Battlefield. I can grab the stage list in a bit, but having problems with Wi-F Sonics on Battlefield and SV, I went with FD.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I always recommend going BF as it makes side-b less of a hassle to deal with. If you aren't comfortable with it though I'd go to TnC if possible.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I always recommend going BF as it makes side-b less of a hassle to deal with. If you aren't comfortable with it though I'd go to TnC if possible.
Town and City seems like a Sonic stage due to his combos.

Once again, however, this is speaking from Smashladder experience on Wi-Fi.

ikesaac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Is1988
Hi to all ike mains I'm an ike main from Mexico here it is one match of the latest tourney I went, It's losers semis against one of the best bowsers of my region, any advice to improve my ike, I been playing since the release of the game, I really apreciate it because in two weeks I will go to a local tourney and there is a great probability I will face Mk Leo the same guy 2stock Mr R so I want to be ready and if I could I try to post the match and maybe some friendlies cause some friends told me that MK Leo uses Ike too and he is good with him here is the link: https://youtu.be/l2DHBPDEXdc

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ ikesaac ikesaac You'll want to work on buffering your actions a little. At low %, d-throw to f-air is a true combo for Ike when you buffer your jump properly. Same with d-tilt to F-air/N-air. A little practice there goes a long way.

Also, don't be afraid to edge guard against Bowser when he has to recover deep. Flying Fortress won't hit you when he's that deep (he'll snap before sharking), so get that Eruption going. Bowser's size makes it easier to get the timing down than on smaller characters, so a good (near)full charge will flood that snap with so many hitboxes he'll be a roasted turtle. You let him recover way too much at KO % by giving him the ledge unchallenged. If his recovery isn't that deep (allowing him to use a rising aerial or Flying Fortress on a guarding target) you can bait out a Counter, shield grab and even spike/walk off aerial to get the KO. You've got plenty of counters available for most of Bowser's recovery options. (Ike only really struggles against high recoveries, and only a little against stage level ones.)

Nice stage spike for the first stock. A little gutsy, but it worked well for you there. Too bad about the ledge-trump b-air on you, as those are also true combos if the offender optimizes their timing.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Hi everyone, I had the privilege to play against Mew2king's Donkey Kong, I lost my two matches and I want to get some help on what went wrong, what went right http://www.twitch.tv/mvg_league/v/12765068?t=19m44s (no youtube link available unfortunately)
You'll want to work on mixing up your approaches, as you did a lot of unsafe aerials against his shield. Mixing in some short hops to grabs would help reduce DK's grab game.

Ike has quite a few options from the ledge available when recovering. You've got your getup attack, standard rising, rolling, jumping over and dropping from the ledge to Aether. DK's range is good enough where you're best options are usually to either go for the jump if he's farther back and trying to hit you with a f-smash or an Aether drop if he's near the ledge hoping to catch you with his u-smash. (The range on this is much like our U-smash, so it's best to avoid or outsmart it than challenge)

Don't be afraid to edge guard. Ike's Eruption only requires practice to KO against DK when he's got that low or deep recovery. (He can't shark when he's below the ledge like that.) It's an easy KO that way. From the side, you'll want to go for the off-stage aerial (F-air if you can get the disjoint down, d-air if you get the timing down for the spike.) or Counter his cyclone/rising aerial to send him back off stage (and hopefully deep enough for Eruption to do it's thing).

Good use of your retreating aerials. That retreating b-air on his grounded cyclone was well executed.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Hey all, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. We have a video series detailing a breakdown on the latest patch and we recently released a video for various characters including Ike. Hope you enjoy!

4MyFriends

Smash Cadet
Got a few matches to share.

I definitely could had done better. There were some mistakes I made that made me facepalm. >_<

Also still gotta work on getting aggressive with edgeguarding. I'm still a bit too passive.

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack
Got a few matches to share.

I definitely could had done better. There were some mistakes I made that made me facepalm. >_<

Also still gotta work on getting aggressive with edgeguarding. I'm still a bit too passive.
Zard really liked that B button. Flare Blitz reminds me of Fox/Falco Phantasm, but horrible: bad players simply cannot fight the temptation to be punished hard while taking recoil damage.

Anyway, aggressive edgeguarding on FG is probably a bad idea as lag will screw with your timing and recovery most of the time.

ikesaac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Is1988
@ ikesaac ikesaac You'll want to work on buffering your actions a little. At low %, d-throw to f-air is a true combo for Ike when you buffer your jump properly. Same with d-tilt to F-air/N-air. A little practice there goes a long way.

Also, don't be afraid to edge guard against Bowser when he has to recover deep. Flying Fortress won't hit you when he's that deep (he'll snap before sharking), so get that Eruption going. Bowser's size makes it easier to get the timing down than on smaller characters, so a good (near)full charge will flood that snap with so many hitboxes he'll be a roasted turtle. You let him recover way too much at KO % by giving him the ledge unchallenged. If his recovery isn't that deep (allowing him to use a rising aerial or Flying Fortress on a guarding target) you can bait out a Counter, shield grab and even spike/walk off aerial to get the KO. You've got plenty of counters available for most of Bowser's recovery options. (Ike only really struggles against high recoveries, and only a little against stage level ones.)

Nice stage spike for the first stock. A little gutsy, but it worked well for you there. Too bad about the ledge-trump b-air on you, as those are also true combos if the offender optimizes their timing.

Thank you a lot buddy I will practice that and I got a question how you buffer the jumps and attacks?? could you please load a video doing that I never hear that before, lol, and that match I failed my combos but most of the times I get some nasty damage by dthrow into fair or dtilt into fair but I think that if I load a video fighthing against someone easy there aren't so much things you guys could give me feedback, I think that only against good people we can see our weak spots and learn from that

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
Thank you a lot buddy I will practice that and I got a question how you buffer the jumps and attacks?? could you please load a video doing that I never hear that before, lol, and that match I failed my combos but most of the times I get some nasty damage by dthrow into fair or dtilt into fair but I think that if I load a video fighthing against someone easy there aren't so much things you guys could give me feedback, I think that only against good people we can see our weak spots and learn from that
Buffering is when you do a move, then input another move shortly before the first move ends. I think I read that smash has a 10 frame buffer window? (Correct me if I'm wrong) That would mean after you do an attack, 10 frames before the move ends you can input the next move and it will execute.

For example, when you do down throw, you can input jump right before Ike's downthrow animation stops and he will jump. With this, you don't need exact timing when you jump and you can then prepare [yourself!] to input fair, which can also be buffered right before you leave the ground.

tl;dr: All moves in smash have a little time before they finish where you can start inputting your next move and it will register. This is called buffering. With this, combos don't normally require on-the-dot precision.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Looks like I'll have to finally get a capture card. I'll see what I can do. :-)

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama

vs Rosilina

vs Shulk
Anyone? No?

Well Baggy, your Ike is free, you block with your teeth, and just because you like to dair don't mean nothing. Learn to fight for those you wish to protect.

Yes Baggy, I will hit the lab and work on my freedom.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Anyone? No?

Well Baggy, your Ike is free, you block with your teeth, and just because you like to dair don't mean nothing. Learn to fight for those you wish to protect.

Yes Baggy, I will hit the lab and work on my freedom.
Not much I can say on what I saw. You played well in those, and had a decent read on your opponent, and I can't really see anything blatantly terrible in what you did. I can recommend cutting down on your fishing for Counters (a little too much against Megaman, which let him reset to neutral a little too often) and work on your buffering a little so your d-tilt to f-air has a little more speed but that's about it. Mostly you'll want to keep familiarize yourself against those MUs more so you can deduce some good strategies that work for you.

PS. It is easier for us to give pointers on matches that are close (like your Megaman, for example) or you lost than ones where you win by quite a bit. Don't be surprised if you don't get much feedback on your victories, as the old adage goes "You learn more from defeat than from victory!".

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
Not much I can say on what I saw. You played well in those, and had a decent read on your opponent, and I can't really see anything blatantly terrible in what you did. I can recommend cutting down on your fishing for Counters (a little too much against Megaman, which let him reset to neutral a little too often) and work on your buffering a little so your d-tilt to f-air has a little more speed but that's about it. Mostly you'll want to keep familiarize yourself against those MUs more so you can deduce some good strategies that work for you.

PS. It is easier for us to give pointers on matches that are close (like your Megaman, for example) or you lost than ones where you win by quite a bit. Don't be surprised if you don't get much feedback on your victories, as the old adage goes "You learn more from defeat than from victory!".
Being that it's my first time getting critiqued, I just wanted to see where I stood and your input is a great start even if you didn't say much. Now I know I'm not too sloppy and I wasn't even aware I was doing d-tilt fair too slow. I always thought that if I missed, I wasn't close enough (for the startup of the swing). And yes, I do love counter to a fault.

I guess if I think about it, there's not much that needs to be critiqued necessarily if I win. I guess I just have esteem issues... yeah.

for sure I will post matches of me getting bodied in the near future.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
My advice on the d-tilt to f-air isn't when you miss the d-tilt (that is a soft read, so some 'cooperation' from your opponent is needed. ;)), but when you miss the f-air (or n-air since that can work too). D-tilt to F-air is a hard to miss at low % and still good at higher %, with the only way you can really miss being either you forgot to buffer the short hop or jumped to far in the wrong direction. (More likely to happen at higher % since you'll need to anticipate your opponent's DI a little.)

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
My advice on the d-tilt to f-air isn't when you miss the d-tilt (that is a soft read, so some 'cooperation' from your opponent is needed. ;)), but when you miss the f-air (or n-air since that can work too). D-tilt to F-air is a hard to miss at low % and still good at higher %, with the only way you can really miss being either you forgot to buffer the short hop or jumped to far in the wrong direction. (More likely to happen at higher % since you'll need to anticipate your opponent's DI a little.)
Sorry, yeah I meant the fair half of the combo. Duly noted

Random question: is d-throw bair still a thing?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
It's an option available. It's a little more DI dependent than n-air and F-air (that small hitbox doesn't cover as much angles, so you need to know where your opponent will be compared to the more easy confirms found with n-air and f-air), and there isn't as many options that combo from it compared to F-air and n-air. I've seen it more for forcing the opponent to give up the neutral and into a specific area of the game of the arena than a reliable way to rack up %.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
You'll want to work on mixing up your approaches, as you did a lot of unsafe aerials against his shield. Mixing in some short hops to grabs would help reduce DK's grab game.

Ike has quite a few options from the ledge available when recovering. You've got your getup attack, standard rising, rolling, jumping over and dropping from the ledge to Aether. DK's range is good enough where you're best options are usually to either go for the jump if he's farther back and trying to hit you with a f-smash or an Aether drop if he's near the ledge hoping to catch you with his u-smash. (The range on this is much like our U-smash, so it's best to avoid or outsmart it than challenge)

Don't be afraid to edge guard. Ike's Eruption only requires practice to KO against DK when he's got that low or deep recovery. (He can't shark when he's below the ledge like that.) It's an easy KO that way. From the side, you'll want to go for the off-stage aerial (F-air if you can get the disjoint down, d-air if you get the timing down for the spike.) or Counter his cyclone/rising aerial to send him back off stage (and hopefully deep enough for Eruption to do it's thing).

Good use of your retreating aerials. That retreating b-air on his grounded cyclone was well executed.
Thanks for the advices. I try to do more jump to grab but it's hard to struggle against bad habits lol. I also wanted to Eruption on DK Cyclone but I don't react fast enough to do it so I only did it once

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
So I just recently picked up Ike and was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide critique/advice on what I should improve on/implement into my game. Thanks!

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
So I just recently picked up Ike and was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide critique/advice on what I should improve on/implement into my game. Thanks!

Watch out when below Bowser, as he has a very easy time breaking shields (Ganondorf's d-air does good shield damage too, so be careful if he's been applying good pressure). It's better to evade than to block in that case, especially since you can dash in for a grab and start walloping him. Ike's got a decent distance for his dash grab, but once you're out of the initial dash animation and into the run you'll want to give yourself an extra step or two before using grabs or dash attack to make sure you hit a fleeing target. Getting familiar with how Ike's dash and running offensive options work will speed up your punish game.

Something most new Ikes struggle with is getting brave when edge-guarding. You'll want to learn which opponents can shark and which ones can't, as well as what angles they need to do this so you can determine what guarding is best. For Bowser, all those low recoveries were prime Eruption bait. You'd just need to worry about timing. Get some good practice there, and you'll be KOing your foes left and right. Other options at the ledge are off-stage aerials, Counter (if they shark and have any of their body exposed, this will make them fear using a rising attack), U-smash for jumps and rolls, shield-grabs if they like to attack from the ledge, I've even seen d-tilt used. Practice the different tools to figure out what you prefer, and how to mixup when predictable will let you go a long way.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
Hello, everyone. I second Ike. Check out my vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HThgsyxJvYQ

Truth be told, I'm starting to feel a little insecure playing Ike in FG 1 on 1. I don't always feel confident short-hopping as Ike when I should even though I practice doing it in training mode and with friendlies. Guess because I don't always think that sort play-style is not always going to work? Is it necessary to always short-hop as Ike?

Anyway, constructive criticism is welcome. I really want to get good with him (I'm in the correct place for this, right).

EDIT: I have a much worse performance from my replays as Ike but it did not upload properly. I'll try again tomorrow if watching this is not enough.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Hello, everyone. I second Ike. Check out my vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HThgsyxJvYQ

Truth be told, I'm starting to feel a little insecure playing Ike in FG 1 on 1. I don't always feel confident short-hopping as Ike when I should even though I practice doing it in training mode and with friendlies. Guess because I don't always think that sort play-style is not always going to work? Is it necessary to always short-hop as Ike?

Anyway, constructive criticism is welcome. I really want to get good with him (I'm in the correct place for this, right).

EDIT: I have a much worse performance from my replays as Ike but it did not upload properly. I'll try again tomorrow if watching this is not enough.
First to answer your question, you never want to 'always' do something when in the neutral. Once Ike commits to an action, his follow-ups are always more limited than his first action. This makes predictability available once your favored action is discovered. In short-hop's case, since you either have to 'tomahawk' (empty hop) or attack your opponent only needs to guess a 50/50 on the right course of action. This is why mix-ups are very important for Ike, as both N-air and F-air have the same affect on shield when at close range allowing for a shield-punish. Dashing, walking and even doing nothing at that moment are all valid options depending on what you are trying to achieve. Always short hopping will let your opponent always have the easy gamble, so don't be afraid to exercise either caution, restraint or aggression.

As for the video, I'd recommend reducing how often you use Quick Draw and Eruption from the Neutral. Eruption is way to easy to block or dodge for a punish, and works best when you have limited your opponents options to force them to challenge your attack. Quick Draw from the ground doesn't cause much damage to be useful for a KO attack unless it's full charged, and you can't combo into anything due to it's ending lag. It is also possible for opponents that have z-depth to cause Quick Draw to misfire. (When some of the opponents body isn't in layer of the attack but moves in and out of it due to how they animate in motion. The body part with the hitbox is out long enough to register the attack animation but not on the plane long enough to actually get hit. I've had it happen enough to know it sucks when you were trying to Quick Draw as a mobility but had it end early when it registers the swing!)

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You don't HAVE to do something but it's better to keep moving.

Dashes, pivots, Dash Dancing, Dash Trot and doing tomahawks will make you slippier and you can mix-up your opponent. One thing Ryo loves to do is space out Ragnell and start short hopping into instant fast fall for mindgames, then go in for a dash grab or pivot grab. It's all mindgames but it works more than you think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom