• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
what is sheild dashing? just dashing and then hitting the sheild button at any time to stop? or is there a specific technique to it
Yep, dash and hold forward, then press shield. If you just tap the dash, you shield much later.

I call it a dash shield or dash into shield.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I wonder if Ryo and Solreth's matches go like this... Anyway, terminalkai has two videos of Ike vs. Little Mac. First video has 7 matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk8YtMJAmv0.

Second video has 3 matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK6XLphVKZ4.

Every time I watch stuff like this, I wished these players showed up and made dents so people would think more highly of characters like Toon Link, Ike, Falco, Mega Man, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and more, but oh well. We can't have everything. So, critique, watch, and enjoy these plays.

Edit: ****'s Ike vs. VAKA's Wii Fit Trainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu349dpRqGw.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I wonder if Ryo and Solreth's matches go like this... Anyway, terminalkai has two videos of Ike vs. Little Mac. First video has 7 matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk8YtMJAmv0.

Second video has 3 matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK6XLphVKZ4.

Every time I watch stuff like this, I wished these players showed up and made dents so people would think more highly of characters like Toon Link, Ike, Falco, Mega Man, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and more, but oh well. We can't have everything. So, critique, watch, and enjoy these plays.

Edit: ****'s Ike vs. VAKA's Wii Fit Trainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu349dpRqGw.
Oh, were all of the Ikes different people? That explains it then. A lot of them looked pretty inexperienced, but at least there's some representation/interest. Wifi could also be messing up a lot in the first 2 vids. Ike players need to make sure not to mess up our followups as much as possible.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh, were all of the Ikes different people? That explains it then. A lot of them looked pretty inexperienced, but at least there's some representation/interest. Wifi could also be messing up a lot in the first 2 vids. Ike players need to make sure not to mess up our followups as much as possible.
Yep, different players, but since I can't read Japanese, I can't tell who's who, and what the rules and conditions were. terminalkai has various characters and players show up, but I think it's mostly dedicated to Falco stuff as there are more Falco ditto or Falco vs. videos. That said, some videos have really good plays and it's the main channel outside of SHI-G I know that has videos of Japanese players, but SHI-G doesn't have Ike, Falco, and other characters as much from what I know.

Edit: There's also these two uploaded on Fire & Dice, SM's Ike vs. Zenyou's Mario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roI6BwGYLMw.

SM vs. Rich Brown's Olimar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAJ8_TbPfs.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Sonic more so than Mario. Mario has 2 specific instances that he can give us trouble with (though both are annoying, an Ike that isn't predictable can get around them), but Sonic normally runs circles around us. Sonic is designed to annoy and gimp slow characters, like us. Mario is usually considered 55/45 against us, while Sonic is 6/4 or slightly more depending on who you talk to.

Mario's cape and flud can gimp, but you have to be in a very specific line up to have that happen. (In front of Mario, either directly or within dashing distance) Maximizing your Aether during deep recoveries, QD for the snap, or just going over him (which is the safest option, though don't make it your only one) and bypass it all together. You pretty much follow the same methods you do to avoid characters with a counter (seriously, since our move sharks and has a hitbox you've got to watch out for those), and you'll be alright.

Sonic's got a lot of options available to him at all times (He has all his aerial options out of Up-b which allows him to gimp our deep recovery, for example), which combined with his speed makes him more a threat. (I find most speedy characters in general are who we have troubles with, to various degrees.)

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I have problems with Mario. UTilt juggle, Bair range and safety, and he'll try and Cape/FLUDD you offstage.

Sonic is just simply about letting him come to you and punishing with the back end of Nair.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have problems with Mario. UTilt juggle, Bair range and safety, and he'll try and Cape/FLUDD you offstage.

Sonic is just simply about letting him come to you and punishing with the back end of Nair.
Below is a good display on how to fight the MU:

You're going to get juggled and combo'd, but Ike can catch up and has an easier time killing.

Utilt doesn't combo, so it's good to try to escape either by holding down into shield at low %, or taking a few hits while DIing up+away then jump+air dodge, or even a panic air dodge if you think the Mario will try another utilt and miss.

Mario telegraphs his attacks when he's in the air. If he faces you, he's going to tomahawk or nair mostly. Up close fireball isn't really that safe, even on hit. If Mario has his back to you, he's going to bair. The biggest problem to worry about is if he closes the gap for a quick uair since that sets up for a ton of stuff. Otherwise, Ike is capable of competing in neutral.

SM used the strategy of just holding quick draw when Mario tried to FLUDD. It's difficult, but Ike still has some leeway with his recovery. Mario left himself open to a QD kill at kill % at the end, too.

Immortalike

Smash Rookie
Stark...is....BACK!!!
Stark was pretty Legendary back in AllisBrawl days of Brawl. He was considered as one of the best brawl Ikes known to man. Unfortunately his brawl career was short as he stopped to focus on school. Well now he's back and giving Smash 4 a try! This is him with just 1 month of getting into it. Enjoy :)

Come on and Ban #25
Stark(Ike) vs Bobeta(Luigi)

https://youtu.be/oRg92DxxvMU

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Stark...is....BACK!!!
Stark was pretty Legendary back in AllisBrawl days of Brawl. He was considered as one of the best brawl Ikes known to man. Unfortunately his brawl career was short as he stopped to focus on school. Well now he's back and giving Smash 4 a try! This is him with just 1 month of getting into it. Enjoy :)

Come on and Ban #25
Stark(Ike) vs Bobeta(Luigi)

https://youtu.be/oRg92DxxvMU
That was good. I never played or heard of @Stark before, but I certainly would like to now.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
-I haven't had the chance to watch the whole thing, so I'll edit this once I have time to.-
@ Alondite_ Alondite_

When recovering from the side, QD can snap immediately after the forward animation when you hit the ledge so don't be afraid to hold it a little more before firing it off. You did quite a few unsafe aerials when in dash range of Luigi, which is why you kept eating dThrow combos. N-air can be nice when fast-falled (which helped you near the end of the first match), but from some of those heights a F-air would have been much better (auto cancels the landing, so you can react faster to his approach).

Watch out for the hard reads. U-smash is a great kill move for Ike, but Luigi's just fast enough on the ground where you'll want to reserve it for frame traps and possibly anti-air. Luigi tends to try to avoid the air when in neutral due to his weird air physics, so the odds of setting such a trap are rare. Since Butter liked to go for dash grabs almost all the time, you could intercept much of his approaches with Ike's good jab in that fat nose.

Luigi's deep recovery is very impressive, so Eruption will need to be timed perfectly to make this work. You have to wait for the sound of his Up-B to get the timing down, as anything else is a red herring. Especially if they saved their second jump to perform their tornado in an upward arc like Butter did. He was coming through the stage for his Up-B, so you don't have to worry about him hitting you out of Eruption. If you want to spice it up, walk off b-air into the stage would help kill his recovery if you can slip it between when he uses his Down-B and his Up-B or you can try to use Counter during one of the two attacks for some disrespect. (Though with how low that got it could be a KO/SD so it's a high risk/reward scenario.)

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Here's a vid of me getting rekt by a luigi. Anyone have any advice or feedback?
Remind me on Wednesday. I just had eye surgery and can't play video games or watch them. If you're having problems against Luigi, his neutral game will wreck you. Once you nab him off stage, the matchup spins into your favor immediately. Counter is your friend more than Eruption ever will be against Luigi since you have 3 ways to gimp him. He'll die under 90% to a Counter if he uses Green Missile.

Alondite_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Prince-Ephraim
Remind me on Wednesday. I just had eye surgery and can't play video games or watch them. If you're having problems against Luigi, his neutral game will wreck you. Once you nab him off stage, the matchup spins into your favor immediately. Counter is your friend more than Eruption ever will be against Luigi since you have 3 ways to gimp him. He'll die under 90% to a Counter if he uses Green Missile.
I tried going for counter a few times but only landed it once. Although it was rewarding when I did land it.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just made my first compilation. I wish I had saved all my favorite clips since launch, but this compilation only includes clips from version 1.0.8 and 1.0.9.

I tried to keep the pacing good, so you wouldn't feel the need to skip anything.

I RECOMMEND TURNING THE ANNOTATIONS ON FOR THE LULZ

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is it just me or are the annotations on my video out of sync? They work fine in annotation mode but in regular viewing at least half are in the wrong timestamp

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445

Here is a video of me fighting a Ness (wooping) I think it would be nice to rate me out of 10 from the following criteria

/10 on my spacing
/10 on my punishing or how consistant I punish
/10 on my off stage offensive game
/10 on my defensive game ( getting on the ledge without getting spiked,well timed dodges)

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Your spacing, neutral game and punish game need a lot of work.

Ness is very easy to kill once they are forced to up-b, I suggest practicing.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ One Handed Sword One Handed Sword
Spacing: 5
Punish Game: 3
Offstage: 3
Defense: 4

You were decent, but some more understanding of the MU will greatly improve your performance. This Ness almost never did an aerial while using his second jump for a recovery, which makes him F-air fodder. (More experienced Ness players will mix up their second jump with a fast attack that has a large hitbox to try and force you to back off.) Also, if you plan on challenging Ness when he's charging for a PK Thunder dash (Probably not what it's called, but that's what it always looked like to me.) you'll want to use fast attacks that interrupt his animation like a Dash Attack or grab. There were a few opportunities to do so that you missed going for a harder read that didn't really work. (Like trying to use an aerial, which would possibly work if Ness is airborne and you pull off a Reverse B-Air at a close range but with their lag is very risky if your timing is off).

You gave Ness a lot of opportunities to recover offstage, and played it safe. If you know Ness has to use his Pk thunder dash for a recovery, then you can easily knock him out of it with a F-air, B-air, D-air for some disrespect or if you want to play it safer use Counter in his required flight path. (Blocking or Countering a PK thunder dash is probably the safest way to handle the attack if you aren't within a dashing distance away from Ness. This doesn't apply to Lucas, for those playing the home game.) Ike's offstage game isn't as terrible as it appears, as in all actuality it's average for the cast. Don't be afraid to go offstage and take the fight to them. Ness is more of a technical fighter than an aerial one like MK or Jiggs, meaning Ike can more easily go toe-to-toe with his foes in most MUs offstage.

All in all, a decent match but one that you could have really dominated with some tweaks.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
@ One Handed Sword One Handed Sword
Spacing: 5
Punish Game: 3
Offstage: 3
Defense: 4

You were decent, but some more understanding of the MU will greatly improve your performance. This Ness almost never did an aerial while using his second jump for a recovery, which makes him F-air fodder. (More experienced Ness players will mix up their second jump with a fast attack that has a large hitbox to try and force you to back off.) Also, if you plan on challenging Ness when he's charging for a PK Thunder dash (Probably not what it's called, but that's what it always looked like to me.) you'll want to use fast attacks that interrupt his animation like a Dash Attack or grab. There were a few opportunities to do so that you missed going for a harder read that didn't really work. (Like trying to use an aerial, which would possibly work if Ness is airborne and you pull off a Reverse B-Air at a close range but with their lag is very risky if your timing is off).

You gave Ness a lot of opportunities to recover offstage, and played it safe. If you know Ness has to use his Pk thunder dash for a recovery, then you can easily knock him out of it with a F-air, B-air, D-air for some disrespect or if you want to play it safer use Counter in his required flight path. (Blocking or Countering a PK thunder dash is probably the safest way to handle the attack if you aren't within a dashing distance away from Ness. This doesn't apply to Lucas, for those playing the home game.) Ike's offstage game isn't as terrible as it appears, as in all actuality it's average for the cast. Don't be afraid to go offstage and take the fight to them. Ness is more of a technical fighter than an aerial one like MK or Jiggs, meaning Ike can more easily go toe-to-toe with his foes in most MUs offstage.

All in all, a decent match but one that you could have really dominated with some tweaks.

Cheers mate. The match was laggy so playing a safe off stage game was vital. I can do better than this and will upload more regularly. Thanks for the tip.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Hello fellow Ike players! I'm about to participate in my first tournament in a few days and I would really appreciate any critiques you can give me as I plan on playing Ike for most of the tournament. I feel comfortable for the most part with my Ike (especially in BF and DL) so I'm not TOO worried about my Ike, but I know that I messed up a lot in this particular match, and while I wasn't playing my best, I certainly do part of the things I do in this match with my daily Ike so yeah would still really appreciate any help. :p

The match starts at 3:46. (I'm player 2 btw)

Last edited:

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Hello fellow Ike players! I'm about to participate in my first tournament in a few days and I would really appreciate any critiques you can give me as I plan on playing Ike for most of the tournament. I feel comfortable for the most part with my Ike (especially in BF and DL) so I'm not TOO worried about my Ike, but I know that I messed up a lot in this particular match, and while I wasn't playing my best, I certainly do part of the things I do in this match with my daily Ike so yeah would still really appreciate any help. :p

The match starts at 3:46. (I'm player 2 btw)

Instead of any tips how about we just straight up Smash? Ninja-Muffinz is my nintendo ID. Ill give you some after the matches.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
https://youtu.be/DkeBK7DU9aY

uploaded this earlier today, I know this match ended up heavily in my favor due to a lot of whiffed grabs and flubbed punish opportunities from my opponent. the fsmash I threw out was a failed read, and thankfully it looks like he was expecting me to dash forward afterwards. it overall seemed like the guy didn't have a good grasp on sheik's movement.

that being said, is there any advice one can gleam from this video? for the most part I think my options were pretty safe

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've never actually done a dair next to the ledge as someone rolls on to the stage

didn't know it could be used that way effectively

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
i've never actually done a dair next to the ledge as someone rolls on to the stage

didn't know it could be used that way effectively
the timing is a bit strict, as you can see by the first time I missed it. but theres a frame when they get up between their invincibility frames where they are vulnerable iirc

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Cheers mate. The match was laggy so playing a safe off stage game was vital. I can do better than this and will upload more regularly. Thanks for the tip.
Your decisions make a lot more sense with when seen through a Lag lens. I kind of feel like an ass now. :facepalm:

I'm about to participate in my first tournament in a few days and I would really appreciate any critiques you can give me as I plan on playing Ike for most of the tournament.
A couple of things I can recommend for you. When chasing after a dashing opponent, you'll want to give Ike an extra step in his animation before using your followup (dash, grab, etc.). You have the same habit I do, expecting Ike to take the step for you like he does when you initiate it out of a dash but after the dash animation is over it takes over the next foot fall cycle. Delay your button press for one second from where your mind thinks it needs to be pressed so that your button matches the pace set by your opponent will go a long way for you when keeping up the pressure.

When at a dash distance away, I'd recommend going for the Dash Grab instead of using QD. Once in a while to spice things up is good, but Ike's dash grab is very good and you can much more easily chain to things from it than using QD which doesn't have much damage or knockback to be effective at low % (and the ending lag on the ground prevents followups). Once in the grab, pay attention to your opponent's %. If comboing is your aim, once they are at mid or high double digits you'll want to transition to using U-throw to keep Ike's knockback at bay to allow better followups. Once they get close to kill % for our throw, grab -> Ike's headbutt for % -> D-throw for the kill.

With chasing an opponent offstage, try to keep n-air to a minimum. N-air's knockback is always up and away, which will help your opponent recovery and could even turn the tables on you if the hit stun wears off fast enough for them to attack you while you are low. F-air is faster, going to cover the arc you need for anti-air work and will knock them horizontially towards the blastzone instead of up and away. A Reverse B-air from the ledge will also come out much faster than either options and at that range will slip into Pit's animations for a easy mid % KO. N-air is useful if you expect them to Air-dodge through you and then recover, but a proper timed b-air will be more effective in that case since you can then stage spike them into oblivion.

The last bit of advice I can give is Pit specific from my experience, which is try to keep him at the edge of the stage. With your back to the offstage, Pit can and will attempt to use his multiple jumps to juggle you out of your recovery range and then just watch you fall to your death. The less options you have, the more likely he'll make the attempt. Don't let him have stage control for long and try to force him to fight from the air (while you are on the ground.) You can use your shield to block his moves and then punish his landing lag that way with all your options available.

the timing is a bit strict, as you can see by the first time I missed it. but theres a frame when they get up between their invincibility frames where they are vulnerable iirc
In my experience, the timing is too unreliable to use it for anything other than a mixup (as the shock of being spiked can then be used to your advantage). U-smash would have covered the entire getup roll and would have been more lethal at that % since Sheik was able to jump away from the follow up. She was ready for it. (It's the only thing she WAS prepared for, in this case.)

Last edited:

Verteidiger

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheFireRed
Heya, I've always wanted to share some of my previous replays but I wasn't sure whether buying a capture device or not. Now that we can record our own replays with the 1.1.0 update there's no need to. Here's a video of me playing as Ike (I've got some more but this is the best I can get for now).

new link: http://youtu.be/isOpnbLqins

Can you guide me into good Ike practices? :awesome:

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Yo! Back again to post a video for my smashboard-less friend. I'm the ROB in this video. -

https://youtu.be/kfXj8kB5peA

This is just a friendly, but we were both trying. He still has a bit of a way to go.

Edit - Unrelated, but are there plans for an Ike main meet up at smash con this weekend?

Last edited:
Top Bottom