• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

Elixar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zer0Requiem
Pre-patch, but this is Ike in Winner's and Grand Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5UMF-yQLtI

Grand Finals also features Brawler and Doc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMK0AHb98Hs

Both showcase how to **** on little mac during competitive play. And showcase Ike's speed and control game in neutral.
Apologies in advance to everyone for the sourspot dair in Grand Finals. I tried. I TRIED.

Will probably upload some doubles footage showcasing Ike as well as I feel doubles is neglected on all of the character boards. Critique would be great either here or on the video itself.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Both showcase how to **** on little mac during competitive play. And showcase Ike's speed and control game in neutral.
Apologies in advance to everyone for the sourspot dair in Grand Finals. I tried. I TRIED.

Will probably upload some doubles footage showcasing Ike as well as I feel doubles is neglected on all of the character boards. Critique would be great either here or on the video itself.
Very nice. Congrats on winning the tournament!
You punished Little Mac's landings well and you seem to know the MU pretty well.

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Someone on Anther's ladder actually recommended me a guy on youtube to watch for like Ike playstyles and such.

His channel is gamingvillage, not sure if it's ok to post a channel link instead of a vid but this can definitely help some people as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ImIlluminate

EDIT : Hopefully noone has already posted any of his vids lol

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I would appreciate any feedback for the following video, which is a compilation of friendly matches between me and a Link player named LNIM. Link doesn't seem to be fazed in the slightest from the Jab 1 nerf, and the character still appears deadly in the right hands - at least to me. Am I making this match-up look more difficult than it should be? Should I be more defensive? Start using Counters?

^-^

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
I would appreciate any feedback for the following video, which is a compilation of friendly matches between me and a Link player named LNIM. Link doesn't seem to be fazed in the slightest from the Jab 1 nerf, and the character still appears deadly in the right hands - at least to me. Am I making this match-up look more difficult than it should be? Should I be more defensive? Start using Counters?

^-^

I think you might have simply walked into Link's Jab a few times. Also be aware that his D-smash has little ending lag. Link's DAir is really annoying, since he can just hover above us while we Up B. His Up B is difficult to Eruption because it has such a huge ledge magnet. Also, Link's NAir is pretty godlike, don't be afraid to counter or retreating F-Air it. I'm not sure if we can u-tilt it. You might also want to be more aware of Link's u-tilt due to it's range and speed.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Both my opponent and I just happen to prefer FD or any stage without platforms. I don't know why exactly. I guess I was unable to see any real benefit for Ike on platform stages, and I like the platform mechanics in SSBB better, for some reason. Then again, platform stages may be good counterpicks vs. Link as the platforms could be hindrances for his projectiles.

Perhaps the next time I face a Link, there will be video footage including platforms. ^-^

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Xuan Wu Xuan Wu You'll want to work on your turnaround moves a bit, like pivot grabs and pivot tilts, as there were plenty of times where your opponent had flanked you but was stuck in landing lag and you were facing the wrong way. If you have tap jump off, you can aim your controller for the diagonals to turn in place but still have tilts available to help this. (Getting the muscle memory to work for this is hard if you've been trained by lots of platformers, like I have, but it is worth it to have d-tilt and pivot grabs work!)

When Link is forced into a deep recovery, don't be afraid to go for that Eruption. He'll snap before his spin attack will rise above the stage, so he's at your mercy. There were plenty of times where your opponent would go to gimp you low but you recovered high and had to spin attack to the snap for recovery. You had the opportunity to get him, but would let him return to the stage. There are specific angles that Link has to hit in order to shark the stage with Spin Attack, and they only really work for low recoveries that are farther away. Pay attention to which angles he has available and capitalize on this. If he goes for the Shark, use Counter as he'll rise right into Ragnell's range before hitting the ledge.

You spent a lot of time off stage, which is something you'll want to avoid against an opponent with projectiles that can gimp predictable recoveries like Ike's. Rising F-airs from the ledge and meteor strikes are cool to see, but ultimately became predictable and allowed Link to get a lot of free damage while you struggled to regain stage control. You'll want to work on your deep recoveries by learning the exact maximum length of Aether's range so you can avoid being hit by most of Link's easy projectiles. It won't help you if he throws a bomb down the side of the stage at you, but he won't be able to easily rack up damage with his bow either. High recoveries are where you'll want to stay to avoid getting gimped, but don't stay predictable as Link's U-air has a lot of power behind it when it's rising.

Flat levels give more priority to zoners and speedsters, as they can either wall you off or out maneuver Ike more easily. You'll find it easier to avoid Link's aerial bomb attacks or arrow walls when he's got to worry about 3 different levels of recovery. That and you get to use Ragnell's range more, especially from below.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Hey guys, I just came back from MomoCon. Can I post a few matches up here? They're not on YouTube, but I'd like to post the times.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/v/5656912

Ike vs. Diddy (Mahgnittoc) - 29:00
Ike vs. Mega Man (ScAtt, #4 in GA, started with Link first) - 01:29:00. 01:36:40 for the final match
Ike vs. Rosalina (Neos, #6 in GA) - 01:55:00

If nothing else, I could REALLY use some critique and help at 02:11:25. It was the match I got knocked out in, and Rosalina's juggles seriously got to me. That's the #1 thing I want to focus on, so any help would be super appreciated.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Ike vs. Rosalina (Neos, #6 in GA) - 01:55:00

If nothing else, I could REALLY use some critique and help at 02:11:25. It was the match I got knocked out in, and Rosalina's juggles seriously got to me. That's the #1 thing I want to focus on, so any help would be super appreciated.
I've been watching the Rosalina set you did, and I can see a couple of things that could help in the future. Your opponent caught on to how you like to remove Luma with a QD in the earlier matches, and started baiting you to hit the little guy while Rosie was close enough to punish. You'll want to mix up how your attack the little starling, avoid using risky moves when Rosie is close (since Luma being a meat-shield is part of his quality) unless you know both that she isn't expecting it and that it will hit her too. Pretty much stay unpredictable when it comes to your Luma bashing. Wait until Rosie overextends the guy, then smash him out.

Mix up when you release your QD a little during your side recoveries, as Rosie was starting to catch on how you liked to zip over her head and would frame-trap you on landing. (she's taller, so it's harder to do this, avoid being hit with a tilt and still get the auto-cancelled landing.)

For that last match, I'm assuming she caught you with no double jump to escape when you lost your first stock. With how she kept you juggled, it seemed like your options were limited. Don't forget that you can use uncharged QD for a psych-out to get some breathing room, or attempt to use counter to intercept her u-air .(you'll not get the hit, but you will change your angle and with some luck either hit the ground or get hit to a side for some different options. Choosing how you get hit can be an option, though used sparringly. :teeth:) Having troubles when juggled is something I have had my share of issues with, and when it comes to being juggled upward I find QD, airdodges and counters are some decent mix-up options to use to regain our neutral. (Now, I just need to know what to do when being juggled from the side and my Captain Falcon problems will be minimized. :ohwell:)

The last thing I'll bring up is don't forget Eruption! Rosie's Launch Star is pretty much a freebie for either damage or a kill, as she cannot attack during it and either has to sweetspot the ledge or psych you out and go over. Eruption's blast radius makes it much easier to cover either options. There were plenty of times where you had forced her hand (She has to use Up-b to recover) and you sat back from the edge and let her snap. Eruption may not be a hype way to end the match (that spike in the second round was beautiful), but it's not called Ike's BnB kill move for nothing. I saw at least 2 times in each of the first two matches you could have shut her down with eruption. Her u-air can shark a little, so being cautious is good. Just don't be afraid to get up there when you've launched her far enough out where she can't make it back without using both her jump and Launch Star.

PS: I love the announcers you had at that tournament. Made watching fun!

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Yeah, but Eruption requires very strict timing. I can't rely on it all the time since I'll get punished if it whiffs.

Also, a Captain Falcon player was juggling me in friendlies. I used Aether to shut him down, and it ended up dragging him off-stage via spike while I hit the ledge. I think Aether may be an option since Rosalina's fast-fall speed isn't good. I'll try it next time.

And if you like their commentary, give them a Like on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/SmashStudios2001?fref=ts

Betvinga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Betvinga
I watched your matches against Neos' Rosalina and I was impressed (congrats!), especially by how fast you got rid of Luma every time.
As GhostUrsa noticed, after the first two matches you struggled a bit more because he could read your QDs and Fair a bit more.
One thing I would like to suggest, but everyone knows, is that you need to recover high with Ike. Just watch the first stock you lost, just because you dodged the ledge/recovered low. Against Rosalina, everytime I recover low enough I get destroyed in a matter of seconds. If Rosa hits you with her sideb while recovering, most of the time you can actually use QD to reach the ledge before she can dair. If she had her Luma, using Aether would have let yourself open for a Fsmash, though.

About the last match you did. I noticed that you could have killed her with Eruption when she recovered and that you tried to approach with Bair after being sent upwards. I just know that this will never work, especially against Rosa. That could have been really good for a counter option, but I wouldn't suggest it; falling near Rosalina it's all on her advantage.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Yeah, but Eruption requires very strict timing. I can't rely on it all the time since I'll get punished if it whiffs.

Also, a Captain Falcon player was juggling me in friendlies. I used Aether to shut him down, and it ended up dragging him off-stage via spike while I hit the ledge. I think Aether may be an option since Rosalina's fast-fall speed isn't good. I'll try it next time.

And if you like their commentary, give them a Like on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/SmashStudios2001?fref=ts
True, you don't want to rely on it all the time. That becomes predictable, and you don't want that. I'm bringing it up here because you very rarely use it from what I've seen over time in your videos, and practicing with it will make matches like this a synch for you. With two of the Eruption opportunities you could have gotten a decent charge for the move first, which grants a stronger, larger and longer lasting hitbox. You could get a little lucky and sneak a hitbox in during the gap in invincibility frames or, if nothing else, make them scared to come up from the ledge until the animation is finished which helps prevent punishes on whiff.

Other options you could try is b-air for the stage meteor, which only requires that you get the timing as you fall past her to strike her tail during the launched animation. I've seen you do this in previous matches against other opponents (so less practice time!), and at her % could have also sealed the match. Since she can't actually fight back while launching, it's a free attempt for you. The only risk would be how fast she can come back at you from the ledge to attempt to gimp, but with Aether's initial Super Armor and the chance of a Aether Spike from such a low recovery many don't go for it.

The b-air is probably more likely to work than f-air, since the angle is slightly off and Rosie's speed makes it possible for her to move through you before your hitboxes are out to cover the gap. n-air is more likely to pop her up, which would help reset her against your off-stage play so I'd not recommend it here. Any option you chose does have some calculated risk (the nature of Ike's offstage offense) so the decision is always yours.

TL:DR; When Rosie is in the deep, don't be afraid to get aggressive.

I'll have to try and see if Aether will work for me against these speedy brawlers. I fear that I may just be stuck in a stunned state, and am just out of luck but giving this a try can't put me in worse shape. :teeth:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I actually talked with Ally on the Rosalina match-up and his only real advice for the match-up would be to DI into Rosalina for up air so you dn't get hit by Luma hitbox, stay grounded and use high base KB moves to get rid of Luma ASAP. Don't be afraid to trade blows with Rosalina if it gets rid of Luma. You're a lot heavier than Rosalina, she really can't kill Ike unless you get gimped without Luma around.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
I recently went to g3 vs Rayquaza, just pick your stages wisely and you should be fine seeing I lost because of delfino

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII

Where was this lmao?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Good morning, everyone

VS Zelda
Me VS Sheik
Me VS MewTwo
You definitely want to stop wasting moves. Using laggy moves, like USmash and Eruption when they're not recovering, is asking for a punish. This is especially true against Ike's worst matchup, Sheik, who can tie you up in a knot in seconds flat. Plus you don't want to use USmash until they're at 90% or above. Don't use a laggy move unless you know it's going to connect.

NNID
Redwalker
3DS FC
2423-3213-8820
You definitely want to stop wasting moves. Using laggy moves, like USmash and Eruption when they're not recovering, is asking for a punish. This is especially true against Ike's worst matchup, Sheik, who can tie you up in a knot in seconds flat. Plus you don't want to use USmash until they're at 90% or above. Don't use a laggy move unless you know it's going to connect.
Yeah, I should know better. Sheik's fast and therefore has fast recoveries. I should be utilizing tilts more until I get some hard reads then the Smash can come. Thanks.

Elixar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zer0Requiem
Where was this lmao?
Ohai Ryuga. It was in Northwood, Watford UK
I'm actually planning to not play Ike at our next event next month, although I might for doubles, who knows, I wanna get some Ike practice in against you though... Once I'm done fixing my controller :p

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Had some fierce matches against TheGreatGonzales, the Ness player. These were in the last two matches of our set, but I had some serious problems here. Any critique is welcome.

For the record, I struggled with these the most:

-Eruption timing on his PK Thunder recovery
-PK Thunder juggles
-Him using PK Fire to punish my jump-baiting
-DSmash and USmash cannot be punished, even when I tried using Quick Draw.
-His Fair beats out all my aerials.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Looks to me like you're committing to far too many attacks and unsafe approaches, especially against Ness who can kill with a Bthrow. The start of the first video, in particular, looked a lot like you were just trying to throw out as many attacks as you could instead of watching what Ness was doing and reacting to it. You were also getting extremely predictable with how you approached, pretty much jumping in with a Nair or Fair nearly every time, even when he was right in your face like at the start of the second video. Try staying on the ground more or mixing up by going for a FF and grab instead. Blocking PK Fire is Ike's ticket to getting in.

Not seeing much grabbing or Dtilt, either. For how much we get off a Dthrow or Uthrow, you should be fishing for a lot more grabs.

Last edited:

goose32

Smash Cadet
One thing you can do is when Ness is recovering off stage, get in his way to the ledge and counter him. It's a useful tactic against people who have guaranteed/constant hitboxes on their recoveries, and when they're not too fast to just bypass the counter damage completely (like Fox's side b). Counter can also help with PK Thunder juggles, since you won't take damage from it and Ness isn't able to immediately punish, since he has his own endlag from PK Thunder.

I agree with what Arrei said, as well. Too many telegraphed approaches, and not enough use of Ike's safer moves that lead into combos. Ness was expecting an arial attack every time you dropped on him, and he consistently shielded and punished. If you condition your opponent to expect that, you can then instead drop and immediately grab them (like Arrei suggested).

If I can read when Ness is going to launch PK Fire, short hopping into an Fair tends to work well, as does shielding.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ness LOVES to just go straight through Ike when you counter PK2 though.

goose32

Smash Cadet
Does Ike not strike him back before he passes, though? I could have sworn I've done that with Ike before. My buddy does that with Lucina on a regular basis, I could be mistaken with Ike, though.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Nope, he sometimes just grabs the ledge behind Ike and phases through him due to the slower hit from Ike.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Probably depends on the positioning. I killed a Ness by countering like that last week.

It probably has a higher chance of missing during the strong hitbox, when Ness first blasts forward at high speed?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Fought a very tough Lucario online.

If there's something I'm missing, definitely let me know please. I've historically had problems against Lucario.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Always QD slightly low so you can hit the ledge without hitting any aura spheres. Don't attack into his shield due to side-b punish. Attack into his Extremespeed, it's easy to punish and it might force him into a crazy angle leading to a punish. Kill him around 100-110 and the match-up becomes a lot eaiser.

Also, not eating Aura Spheres makes for a better match.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Not part of the matchup specifically, but you shouldn't be wasting your double jump so early to go into Quick Draw when recovering unless you really need to, that drops your evasive options down to just about nil. Plenty of times you could have recovered just by double jump alone. Also, just as another approach option to add, try jumping over them and using a Bair sometimes too. to keep them on their toes. Y'know, same song and dance, can't let yourself get predictable. Watch for Lucario's Uair though, that one can get deceptively strong.

Good finish, though.

TeeJay308

Smash Cadet
Good adaptation to the wallcling thingy Lucario did to avoid your Eruption.

You fullhop/double jump wayyyyy too much. Better players will punish you hard if you keep playing so predictably. If it were me, I'd have let you use your double jump and got underneath you and juggled your ass. But, to be fair, he never really punished you for it so you had no reason to be discouraged from doublejumping so much.
Also, you're approaches were pretty unsafe most of the time. You try to mix up fullhop FAir with fullhop land next to them and grab, but you got shieldgrabbed out of both options plenty times. Try to close distance by dash-shielding. Once you're in range, go for well spaced shorthop FAirs or shorthop grabs as a mixup. Safe and way harder to react to.

Try these out against players and I think your game will improve a lot!

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
what is sheild dashing? just dashing and then hitting the sheild button at any time to stop? or is there a specific technique to it

Last edited:
Top Bottom