• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

MikiSagittarius

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1461-6991-9602
The guy who talks during the beginning sounds like Morgan Freeman

....I'm not contributing at all ;~;

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
The guy who talks during the beginning sounds like Morgan Freeman

....I'm not contributing at all ;~;
A moment of brevity before returning to the critique is appreciated. :psycho:

Don't want to make it a habit though, or we'll derail the thread.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I was playing a bit nervous vs Doom; I know he's a known player from a really strong region, and when I'm on tilt I try to force a read to either scare them or make them more cautious of brain dead approaches. I'll definitely be incorporating more tilts, and more retreating nair.

Superluaa

Smash Rookie
NNID
Superluaa
3DS FC
4484-8322-7977
I haven't posted enough to include links in replies, but search for the 'SHI-G' channel on Youtube and then search for 'Noji' or 'Nojinko' on that channel for Ike gameplay. There is a recent video of Ike vs Shiek and also videos of Ike in 8 player smash (with items in the side event)!

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Hmm. I see less of a problem with the character than with the play. Obviously you both made mistakes but that was acceptable. I think you became to predictable and instead of you reading him, he read you. You lost in the neutral game mainly due to your predictability. Problem is, ike is sorta predictable by nature. Try putting away the sword some more, a doing more empty shorthops, dash sheild grabs. Dedede is one of Ikes harder matchups though id say.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Got serious problems fighting King Dedede. Please critique!

Match 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUKUr0G2Wg
Match 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6b8vL0hR9Q
You seemed to learn well going from the 1st match to the 2nd. Like @ Trunks159 Trunks159 said, try empty hops and other stuff and try to bait King DeDeDe into attacking.
Sometimes you don't even need to approach, since Gordos aren't really good in neutral against someone who knows how to reflect them properly.

Another thing about DeDeDe. Although he has a good ledge game with his Gordos and lasting hitboxes, he also can have trouble getting back on stage. Sure, with his recovery he can grab the ledge normally, but actually getting back on stage can be difficult for DeDeDe. Get-up attack is laggy, and ledge-jumping isn't that fast considering he's huge and has poor horizontal air speed. You'll want to cover the roll and normal get-up options. You can rack up some nice damage trying to keep DeDeDe from getting back on stage.
Also, King DeDeDe has the best vertical knockback resistance even though he's not the heaviest character. So normally a horizontal KO will be easier to land on him than a vertical off-the-top KO.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
FG Against Cpt Falcon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_87_db7-2uY

Critique! Excuse the video quality. Didnt feel like getting my camera so i just used my tablet.
Good use of Nair. Used a couple of arbitrary moves in the air which got you punished, and I would have done a shorthop Nair to all-punish Falcon's recovery options instead of retreat Nair. Doing that cost you the free ledge-Bair punish. But those are situational. We should play sometime.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Good use of Nair. Used a couple of arbitrary moves in the air which got you punished, and I would have done a shorthop Nair to all-punish Falcon's recovery options instead of retreat Nair. Doing that cost you the free ledge-Bair punish. But those are situational. We should play sometime.
Hm. Yeah, against Cpt falcon, youll get punished because of his speed, but i was prepared for that. Id usually wiff a nair or fair and get punished.

And yeah, missed a few edgeguards, so those should get weeded out.

Critique on You:

Id say over commitment is what made you loose. You would attack with fairs and nairs and bairs, get sheilded, or you wiffed, and punished. Id try to stay to the ground more. Throw nairs and fairs out for him to respect your range, but rarely attack with them. Mario has a ton of options on the ground. He could fireball camp, dair approach, nair approach, bair space/appoach, grab combo, dash attack, and his smash attacks. Ike doesn't have as many options. None of his aerials are safe on shield, and if ground moves are whiffed(ftilt, uptilt) they can be punished. The opjective is to limit Marios options. Nair and bair defensive spacing prevent rolls and approaches. And if you run in, sheild, empty short hop (do not roll with Ike) keep running around, jab, grab, dtilt, this means mario cant commit to his attacks.

Your opponent rolled alot. You probably should've thrown in some upsmashes, if not just to scare him from rolling.

It seems like you're always the guy on offense, so your options are limited as your opponent just runs away and punishes.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I have three matches I recorded at Olympus. I managed to get knocked out earlier than I'd ever anticipated, but there was some serious competition up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9KSiJ2f5I - vs. LoCO (R.O.B.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl-ykfUENRk - vs. Fatality (Captain Falcon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nE4DT1ilc - vs. Fatality (Captain Falcon) 2

The third one was extremely short because of the 0-death spike. He told me to airdodge less, but are there any options I can consider in the future so this doesn't happen again?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Good spacing against Palutena. Against Duck Hunt, more Side B would have been a better choice. Ike can knock away the can, block the Clay Pigeon, and swat the Gunman away in one blow.

I have a few videos coming. Two for Kirby and one for Peach.
It's not my Ike. It's some dude's Ike whose matches were uploaded onto terminalkai.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Aw man, wish I could contribute. Well hopefully, the video turns out to be great and we'll show the wrath of us Ikes.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here's some game-play of San vs Pat of the Ike Skype chat.

Maybe some parts could be used for the combo video.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
San's Ike looking really really good.

I really want to use more down tilt in my play, and this gives me a lot of good ideas.

Also that quick draw AC up tilt. Never seen THAT before.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Well it doesn't exactly say Ryuga on his name...

We need to play again soon. 3DS version if you don't have Wii U.

Would anyone be willing to critique my videos from Olympus?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Hey guys. I'm primarily a Fox main but I usually end up busting out Ike as a secondary for the Yoshi matchup as I find it a little easier on Ike than Fox. I'm also considering using him against heavies like Bowser and DK instead - do you guys reckon that's a good call or should I use another secondary like ROB?

Anyway, at a recent tournament, I played Ike here against a Yoshi main and I was looking for some help on what I did right and wrong. The actual game footage begins at 1:55 due to some spectacular Irish focus at the casting booth.

All help is appreciated as I really do want to make Ike my goto for this pretty common matchup and I definitely need help on him. Only so many times I can Up Smash while praying to the God of hard reads before it gets me in trouble.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This should have been taken to a PM... If any of you want to argue, then take it to the PM. This isn't where the place for this; this is a video and critique thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
From TheRunawayGuys, the first video of their friendly tournament has ProtonJon's Ike vs. Yoshiller2's Rosalina & Yoshi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9PdlN-J8zI.

This isn't a professional tournament, but just a tournament for people to have some friendly competition. Fun fact on ProtonJon is that he's the guy who did the Kaizo Mario commentated playthrough way back in the day before Let's Plays, montages, and cat videos were a thing. He's also a Captain Falcon and Ike player. I don't know Yoshiller2 much and I think this tournament will have other well-known let's players aside from ProtonJon, Chuggaaconroy, and NintendoCapriSun, the guys who make up TheRunawayGuys.

Edit: That Tempest to Side Smash! Critter's Ike vs. PKRS's Yoshi and Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyuJ7FHY6JY.

Last edited:

critter17

Smash Cadet
NNID
critter17
3DS FC
3780-9491-8023
Edit: That Tempest to Side Smash! Critter's Ike vs. PKRS's Yoshi and Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyuJ7FHY6JY.
That was definitely a highlight moment for me! I only wish that I didn't SD last stock in game 2 and game 3, because I definitely could have won.

Anyone else feel free to critique my play, aside from what the commentators mentioned and such.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
LuminareFox's Ike vs. Spencer's Rosalina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByYdXIbSXLg.

LuminareFox's Ike vs. Salt's Rosalina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O4R1zto2sY.

First off, LuminareFox has a ton of videos on Ike on his channel: kousetsukitsune. There's fights of Zelda, Ike dittos, Lucina, Marth, Jigglypuff, Mario, I think Dr. Mario, Triple D, Diddy, Samus, Ganondorf, and more. This is a like a gold mine! *looks through* YES! There's a Falco fight! I'm not a dodo main! :awesome:

LuminareFox's Ike vs. SAM's Falco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJmd4XGBrRA.

Make the 2, but the players aren't listed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5cT-VBAkdU.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
The rosalinas in the videos are pretty mediocre, but it gives a decent idea about the match-up. Rosalinas think that just because Ike is on the slow side that they can roll over him, but Ike has a huge disjoint that can hit Luma and cause a split between the two which can lead to an opening. Ike can also safely knock off Luma with near ease, with F-air almost hitting Luma off with one hit from a good portion of FD.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I have three matches I recorded at Olympus. I managed to get knocked out earlier than I'd ever anticipated, but there was some serious competition up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9KSiJ2f5I - vs. LoCO (R.O.B.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl-ykfUENRk - vs. Fatality (Captain Falcon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nE4DT1ilc - vs. Fatality (Captain Falcon) 2

The third one was extremely short because of the 0-death spike. He told me to airdodge less, but are there any options I can consider in the future so this doesn't happen again?
Your ROB fight was pretty tense. There isn't much I can think of that you could have done better. There were a couple of times you tried to challenge ROB when he was in the air and you were below him, which is something that is difficult do to his d-air and n-air having good range and speed. When you tried to bait out a d-air but used your second jump to slide beside him for a n-air or f-air you'd perform much better than just straight going for the u-air. (It has great horizontal range, but not so good vertical range so U-air works better if your target is defensive in the air) Only other thing I can see is right after he took your first stock, you got him off stage and forced him for a low and deep recovery which is a prime opportunity for an Eruption. You let him recover instead, which I'm not aware if there was anything he could have done to attack you through the stage to offset your edge-guard.

As for your fight against Fatality, that Captain definitely knew how to stay in your soutspot. When it came to the end of the first match, when you know Cap needs to recover with his Up-B you'll want to wait for the sound he makes when starting it up for the timing of your Eruption. His up-B has a distinct sound and won't fake you out like your eyes can. I loved the edge-hog to b-air before you took his first stock. I can almost feel the surprise on Cap's face! At the end of both matches, he had you trained to expect a follow-up aerial combo or flying knee after being thrown off stage and capitalized on it to go for a delayed spike instead. Not sure how to get out of the situation since there wasn't much time to see his new pattern, and his fake out jump at you would have caused me to flinch that airdodge too. I'll have to think on it more for what options would be available, as he used the expectation of Cap's need to combo to gimp you.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Your ROB fight was pretty tense. There isn't much I can think of that you could have done better. There were a couple of times you tried to challenge ROB when he was in the air and you were below him, which is something that is difficult do to his d-air and n-air having good range and speed. When you tried to bait out a d-air but used your second jump to slide beside him for a n-air or f-air you'd perform much better than just straight going for the u-air. (It has great horizontal range, but not so good vertical range so U-air works better if your target is defensive in the air) Only other thing I can see is right after he took your first stock, you got him off stage and forced him for a low and deep recovery which is a prime opportunity for an Eruption. You let him recover instead, which I'm not aware if there was anything he could have done to attack you through the stage to offset your edge-guard.

As for your fight against Fatality, that Captain definitely knew how to stay in your soutspot. When it came to the end of the first match, when you know Cap needs to recover with his Up-B you'll want to wait for the sound he makes when starting it up for the timing of your Eruption. His up-B has a distinct sound and won't fake you out like your eyes can. I loved the edge-hog to b-air before you took his first stock. I can almost feel the surprise on Cap's face! At the end of both matches, he had you trained to expect a follow-up aerial combo or flying knee after being thrown off stage and capitalized on it to go for a delayed spike instead. Not sure how to get out of the situation since there wasn't much time to see his new pattern, and his fake out jump at you would have caused me to flinch that airdodge too. I'll have to think on it more for what options would be available, as he used the expectation of Cap's need to combo to gimp you.
These were friendlies. Prior to this, he played Esam and got 0-death comboed himself. It was insane.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Footage of my Ike in tournament against custom sonic, and greninja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl5IJVnPc0Y&index=2

Critique is very much welcomed.
That Greninja favored dash grabs for a ground approach, which with his speed offset you a bit. Mixing in one good d-smash would have helped break that habit. You had a good read on his rolls spacing, which helped with your pivot grabs. Don't forget to use Eruption for low recovery edge guarding. You could have clobbered Greninja when he was stuck recovering low, since his hydro pump didn't have any hitboxes that raised above the stage. Since Greninja has speed and better comboing than Ike, you'll want to minimize how much time you spend in the air.

You spent quite a bit of time just randomly short hopping, which can be a gamble since you remove almost all of your defensive options to bait him. What would end up happening is that he'd use his speed to slip in and juggle or grab you while you were stuck in landing lag. You're instinct to stay mobile is a good one against such a fast character, but Ike has far more control of the situation from the ground than in the air. From there, you have every option available (be it going into the air or something else.) instead of the commitment required for your short hops. In the second match, you performed much better when you mixed it up and walked/jogged around. You were ready for most of Greninja's whiffs then and could really punish. (Which with Greninja's tells, is what Greninja players fear of an Ike from what I read a little on their forums.)

When it comes to Sonic, he maybe fast but a lot of his more annoying moves have some windup that makes it easy to anticipate. All of his spindashes need some kind of warmup, and his d-air has a big windup animation. It's part of the reason that you'll see a lot of grapples with sonic characters when they are at a good distance away. Things that help with Sonic are to keep your feet planted, as juggling is part of his character. If you are in the air, a good chunk of his tilts are faster than yours so use the spacing of Ragnell to you advantage. Don't land right next to him, where he can capitalize on the landing lag. Make him come to you, as his approach options are have a similar limitation as Ike (Limited approach options, so it's easier to anticipate what he'll do). In the second match, you did much better in the second half of it when you kept your feet planted and took to the air when you had to (like retreating n-air against a dash attack, or going for the kill with your u-air). You had your range and jab speed to keep him from rushing in with grabs. Last thing I can think of is slip a counter in there when he goes for the spin-dash, as he has to commit to it and would do it from farther away. (Which would give you more than enough time to get a counter off and throw a wrench into his approach game.)

Top Bottom