• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Video Thread (Critiques Welcome!)

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Thank you so much Ghost! I hadn't realized my jumping habit till you brought it up, I was just so focused on trying to condition him for back-air that I didn't see how my shorthops actually limited me in these specific match ups.
Once again thanks!

Any suggestions for baiting someone like him on the ground?

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Thank you so much Ghost! I hadn't realized my jumping habit till you brought it up, I was just so focused on trying to condition him for back-air that I didn't see how my shorthops actually limited me in these specific match ups.
Once again thanks!

Any suggestions for baiting someone like him on the ground?
This is speculation now, but going off of what I saw with your opponents your best bet will be lulling them into a false sense of superiority than a traditional baiting. Condition them to make unsafe decisions by taking away some of their favored approaches. (It is what they were technically doing to you when they interrupted your air game.) They'll think they are out-manuevering you but what is really happening is you are changing their pattern to fit what you need for the kill.

When it came to Sonic, since he favored going in for the grapple or 'dash' attacks (spin-dash or normal dash), focus on one of those two and take it away. (Pre-empt the grapple with a jab, or focus on retreating n-air/counter for the dash attacks.) You'll limit his options and force him to change his ways, and that's when you pay attention. Sonic will have to go airborne to mix things up, so watch what he does, dodge them a bit when possible to make him think it's working and then when you need to..... BAM, there is the b-air!

In the example above, you didn't bait him into thinking you're stupid by doing something dangerous. You made him over-confident and then took it all away. One he'll learn from (Oh, it was a stupid mistake. I'll learn for next time.), the other he'll fear (Damn, he bodied me again! How does he know what I'm thinking!). I like to call it the Ganondorf effect, or going terminator. If you watch how good Ganondorf players fight faster opponents, a false sense of security is how they kick ass. Plus the psychological warfare played on the opponent will make them more prone to making mistakes. (No one likes to be repeatedly 'humiliated', and only the best can keep their cool when they are. Most of us aren't the best, so such fear is something we need to do when the matchup is against us.)

This is much harder to do if he forces you to be on the offensive, mind you. Sonic's speed allows his defensive options to be more resilient to conditioning. A good Ike I'd say is roughly 60/40 defensive, so flipping that will be Sonic's mind game on you. The tactic above can apply still, but you'll have to work harder to get the kill.

Hope this helps. If you want people with more Sonic or Greninja MU experience to chime in, I'd recommend popping the question over to the Ike Matchup thread. It's the ideal place to brainstorm new tactics when there isn't a video to QA.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Me vs. Diddy player in a online tournament, critiques welcome!
Like many Diddys, He liked to go for grabs. This means you'll need to make sure you have enough space to give yourself breathing room to adapt to him. This means watch out for where you land when needing to recover from above him, as you had a tendency to land in grab/smash range and give him freebies. It is a bad habit I have as well, and you'll need to focus on making him think you'll land close and then move out of range. Save a jump if possible, or use QD to zip away at the last minute to give yourself some space. Make landing close the exception, not the rule since Diddy will beat you out at that range. You did this less often after the first match, but it was still something he would capitalize on when you did.

After he throws a banana at you, he always goes for the grab. This means that after shielding the thing, you'll want to set up a counterattack right away. I'd recommend a jab since they come out fast enough to beat his normal grab and possibly his kong flip. (Though the timing is hard, someone else maybe able to debunk this one.) You had an issue of using f-air against his shield a lot in the first match, but mixing it up is what made your second one much more interesting.

Mix in some aerials after you get him with a d-tilt. He would just go limp in the air afterwards and would have been a good way to mix in some extra damage to chase with a f-air or n-air every once in a while. Especially at the lower % where his trajectory is easier to predict and his ability to take control so close after being hit is harder.

One the last match, you would have taken the win if you had used Eruption at the edge. His % was high enough for the kill and he was forced to go for a deep recovery, which gave you all the advantage. There aren't many characters that have the ability to disrupt edge guarding when recovering deep, and default Diddy isn't one of the exceptions.

You had a good read on him for most of the fight, so it won't take much for you to be a Diddy destroyer. Hopefully, you'll be giving us pointers after you've got that stuff down. ;)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
6. Count 'em 6 videos of Ike from aruth1218's channel, a Japanese Smasher who plays a bunch of characters. This is his Ike: [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], and [6]. The first three are commentated.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
every once in a while i host a smash tournament on another forum i mod and a couple of the contenders have capture cards now. we started pools this week and my first opponent has committed to uploading all the matches he played. he uploaded his first set in pools yesterday and today we played our set. I played Ike in the first match and then Dedede in the second:

something to note: my opponent is more of a casual player. i saw his set from yesterday and decided to take it fairly easy and experiment with different tactics since i knew if things got rough i could turn things around pretty quickly. this is why you don't see a any pummels from me, hardly any counters, and also why i was abusing quickdraw so much (i was trying to practice wavebouncing online since it's a bit more tricky than offline). i nearly lost my Dedede match because I spent too much time screwing around and wasn't used to playing on that stage. i wouldn't say that this is my highest level of gameplay with either character but you might see me play harder in bracket if the other guy with a capture card decides to upload matches.

critiques are welcome, because i'm not a competitive player but i'd like to play ike competitively one day.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Looking for critiques

https://youtu.be/mhf-9Ps47bI?t=211

This is my friend's Ike. He starts playing at around 3 minutes in, and stops at around 18.This was his 3rd tournament, second time going in knowing what he was doing. Sorry that the video is a bunch of matches lumped together, the streamer is lazy. I should've time stamped it correctly.

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I've only watched your first match so far because I'm pressed for time at the moment but the things I can say about that match is that you should utilize short hops more often instead of all those full jumps you're doing. He punished you a lot on your landings because the amount of time you spent in the air gave him the opportunity to set things up.

Luigi is one of those characters that I find a little bit of patience really helps. Don't be above him too long, walk a little bit, use some more tilts. Quick draw makes a good punish on whiffed attacks occasionally. I think I only saw you use it as a recovery.

Also on his second stock you used eruption as an edge guard while he recovered with side b. It's a great tactic but I think he was too close for you to charge it up to kill power. It knocked him up so he could recover high and if you don't successfully juggle him from that then it puts him back in neutral. At that close of range I'd suggest using a counter instead to knock him back horizontally and hope he'd go for another side b, it might have given you more time to charge a stronger eruption.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
During your second match, you gave him a lot of free recoveries from the deep. Some patience and a good eruption would have ended things. Luigi's Up-B is nasty when it connects, but almost every character's Up-b is safe for an Eruption when they go for a deep recovery.

Your third video had an error and I'm not able to watch it. If you can re-upload it I can give better advice.

Besides what @ Casval Casval mentioned, my only other recommendation is to slow down a little and take your time. You seemed anxious or nervous with all the bouncing around, which does require some commitment even with our auto-cancel moves mixed in. Walk more, block longer and watch. Your opponent had some decent patterns that were punishable, especially offstage, but you were too often out of range to use the opportunity due to your focus on keeping your distance. I can understand wanting the breathing room, especially since Luigi is one of your current troubled MUs but there are other ways to be defensive than giving up stage control. Quite a few of Arakui's aerials that he preferred were punishable against shields due to their ending lag (especially against jabs and f-tilt) with the only real issue being his grab combo potential (Which I can see was his second choice compared to staying aerial quite a bit from your videos).

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Looking for critiques

https://youtu.be/mhf-9Ps47bI?t=211

This is my friend's Ike. He starts playing at around 3 minutes in, and stops at around 18.This was his 3rd tournament, second time going in knowing what he was doing. Sorry that the video is a bunch of matches lumped together, the streamer is lazy. I should've time stamped it correctly.
Anyone? He's coming over tomorrow to practice and I want to give him all the advice I can.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Anyone? He's coming over tomorrow to practice and I want to give him all the advice I can.
He seems to favor hard reads (charging f-smashes with ample room to dodge, for example) which can lead to big problems against good opponents. He also rolls quite a bit when walking or running will do. I'm not sure if it's the nerves getting to him, but ideally he needs to relax and take his time. He has more options from a standing or walking position than while committed to an action. Save the smashes for when they are more of a sure kill, and mix some tilts since they have good power and speed. In most of the matches I watched, tilts were almost ever used and would have been a far more ideal way to punish or set up some combos than all the f-smashes being thrown.

Watch out for Bowser's shell during any attacks that use it, as it has some wicked priority. It's better to attack around it than challenge it.

DeDeDe's tilts and smashes have better range than Ike, but all except F-smash and f-air have limited arcs. When approaching, come at a diagonal to maximize Ike's effectiveness.

Charizard is big, making grabs and tilts extremely effective. Also, throw a counter in once in a while as Fire Blitz are a death sentence for Big C with the distance he was cracking them off. Rock Smash give Charizard some super armor during the smashing parts, so it's ideal to either avoid or go around and b-air from behind than directly challenge.

When chasing after a fleeing opponent that is rolling, he'll want to run a little farther before using his dash attack or a grab. Aim the strike where they will be and not where they were. It's a common mistake that many of us make starting out. It's all part of reading your target.

When going for the Eruption, get closer to the edge as he'll want the most of the blast as possible to penetrate through the stage (and may get lucky with the tip's spike). Eruption works best against the deep recoveries since the only option the opponent has is to sweetspot the ledge, meaning no punishes heading Ike's way.

During recovery, he'll want to try to aim for the sweetspot with the Aether than landing on the platform when his opponent is a good rolls distance away as the landing lag is severe enough that Ike will get sent right back off stage after.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know how the friendlies went!

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
He seems to favor hard reads (charging f-smashes with ample room to dodge, for example) which can lead to big problems against good opponents. He also rolls quite a bit when walking or running will do. I'm not sure if it's the nerves getting to him, but ideally he needs to relax and take his time. He has more options from a standing or walking position than while committed to an action. Save the smashes for when they are more of a sure kill, and mix some tilts since they have good power and speed. In most of the matches I watched, tilts were almost ever used and would have been a far more ideal way to punish or set up some combos than all the f-smashes being thrown.

Watch out for Bowser's shell during any attacks that use it, as it has some wicked priority. It's better to attack around it than challenge it.

DeDeDe's tilts and smashes have better range than Ike, but all except F-smash and f-air have limited arcs. When approaching, come at a diagonal to maximize Ike's effectiveness.

Charizard is big, making grabs and tilts extremely effective. Also, throw a counter in once in a while as Fire Blitz are a death sentence for Big C with the distance he was cracking them off. Rock Smash give Charizard some super armor during the smashing parts, so it's ideal to either avoid or go around and b-air from behind than directly challenge.

When chasing after a fleeing opponent that is rolling, he'll want to run a little farther before using his dash attack or a grab. Aim the strike where they will be and not where they were. It's a common mistake that many of us make starting out. It's all part of reading your target.

When going for the Eruption, get closer to the edge as he'll want the most of the blast as possible to penetrate through the stage (and may get lucky with the tip's spike). Eruption works best against the deep recoveries since the only option the opponent has is to sweetspot the ledge, meaning no punishes heading Ike's way.

During recovery, he'll want to try to aim for the sweetspot with the Aether than landing on the platform when his opponent is a good rolls distance away as the landing lag is severe enough that Ike will get sent right back off stage after.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know how the friendlies went!
Thanks very much for the tips, I'll be sure to spread this information on. The only stuff he knows about Ike is stuff I've told him, and I don't play Ike, haha. He was nervous, that set against Bowser was the first time he's won in tournament. He's definitely getting more comfortable, I've been encouraging him to play friendlies more often.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
In the first video near the end, when you are at the Shine Gate it would have been better to go for the Eruption when Diddy was under the stage as most attacks can't penetrate through the ledge.

In the second video, Luisfer started recognizing a pattern you had where almost all of your attacks when he was on the ground were single hit moves (n-air or tilts) and was able to spot dodge most of them. Mix in a few jabs to break that habit, since Ike's jab combo is hard to spot dodge the whole thing.

Only other thing I can think of is keep a mental note of that banana! It's something that I struggle with as well, and is one of the many linchpins in Diddy's gameplan. (My good god does this character have so many ways to gimp!)

I really can't think of anything else that I'd have done differently. You played about as solid a match as an Ike can get in that MU, from what I've seen.

TL;DR: A little more familiarity with the arenas and a little better mix-up in your offense is all you could have done better.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
In the first video near the end, when you are at the Shine Gate it would have been better to go for the Eruption when Diddy was under the stage as most attacks can't penetrate through the ledge.

In the second video, Luisfer started recognizing a pattern you had where almost all of your attacks when he was on the ground were single hit moves (n-air or tilts) and was able to spot dodge most of them. Mix in a few jabs to break that habit, since Ike's jab combo is hard to spot dodge the whole thing.

Only other thing I can think of is keep a mental note of that banana! It's something that I struggle with as well, and is one of the many linchpins in Diddy's gameplan. (My good god does this character have so many ways to gimp!)

I really can't think of anything else that I'd have done differently. You played about as solid a match as an Ike can get in that MU, from what I've seen.

TL;DR: A little more familiarity with the arenas and a little better mix-up in your offense is all you could have done better.
Thanks. Yeah, Skyloft slopes killed me. I also tried to pivot and throw him off-stage near the end to go for one final gimp/spike.

Slopes in general are bad for me, which is why I usually ban Halberd, Lylat, and now Skyloft. I'll remember the jabs thing since they do help and I'm not using them enough. I do it because a lot of players like to dash-shieldgrab me when they see a jab coming.

My strategy with Diddy is "let him have his banana." Let him have his fun, use it twice, and then go after him again.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Rango the Mercenary Rango the Mercenary Strange, as I usually have better results keeping people away with jabs than with tilts when they are expecting my attack and going for the shield grab. I find jab 2 fast enough against most speedy characters to prevent a grab, as they can usually dodge me for a grab otherwise. I try to treat the banana like Link with his bomb, with the difference being slipping if I miss instead of getting popped up. (Maybe this is wrong, but they both use the thing as a combo starter or showstopper)

What usually throws me off with Diddy is the speed at which his harder hitting moves comes out. It's why I'm trying to speed up my personal attack speed, as I can see what I need to do but can't quite get the timing down for buffering my moves right yet. Too sporadic for my liking currently.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc4n_pW0-Bs

My set vs Sparky at Project Playhem 7 on Thursday vs Luigi.
In the second match, you let Luigi recovery too often. He had to do a lot of deep recoveries, where Eruption is lethal but it was attempted only once. From the side or low recoveries you'd be right to respect his Up-B but when it's as deep as it was at the end of that second match he isn't going to be able to hit you with it. A well placed Eruption would have ended his stock, and with how much time you'd have it probably would have been a full charged one (harder to get the snap because of how large the explosion is).

During the third match, it looked like you were either getting antsy or panicked due to how close your matches were going. You were throwing out tilts and attacks all over that left you exposed. (All those combos leading up to the first stock against you had you wildly throwing out up-tilts and early aerials that left you exposed for his dash-grabs and combos.) Luigi's aerials are faster than ours, so using our spacing and punishing accordingly is the best way to stay ahead when in the air. Once you returned to your previous style of baiting, reading and punishing you did much better.

Only other thing I can think of is at the end of the third match, you may either want to do a last minute QD to get out of the way of his U-smash or pull out the counter. Either way, you'd have had an extra moment of breathing room to see to regain neutral and continue the fight. (Counter will either give you a moment of immunity or knock him back, while QD would not only give you some space but with how close you'd be you'd hit the ground with no lag and could instantly move into other options.)

All in all, it was a fun set to watch. You did well. I hope your next match against each other is in your favor as skill wise you seem to have more familiarity against Luigi than he did with Ike!

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I would have had to go deep for the low recovery, as Eruption didn't hit Luigi when timed correctly, to everyones surprise.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I would have had to go deep for the low recovery, as Eruption didn't hit Luigi when timed correctly, to everyones surprise.
If you are talking about the one time you went for Eruption during the second match, yes your timing was good. The probelm was that Eruption didn't have enough time to charge. The explosion wasn't big enough to prevent the snap, and your sword tip was in the ground instead of off stage so you weren't able to use the tip for the extra reach. There wasn't enough time to get the charge up enough, and I know I wouldn't have gotten any closer since I wouldn't be sure if he'd go for the early Up-B. It happens, and it all comes down to the read. Can't fault you there, as I don't think anyone would have done differently. There were other opportunities where an Eruption would have helped though, like at the 5:50 mark when he fished for an early eruption but then had to go deep for the recovery for example.

As with all advice, you are welcome to take or leave anything I write down. I'm only able to look at how things transpired and critique on that specific situation and I am unable to give advice on playstyle based on one video. If something doesn't jive with how you play, that's fine. You may be able to find something that does work for you and still help you develop when a similar situation appears again. My hope is to only help, and not admonish. :colorful:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
what's this about "tech chase setup"?
Forward throw and back throw can both set up tech chases depending on the opponent's DI. If they miss the tech you can dash attack punish or read their get-up (like he did at the end with f-smash). If they don't miss the tech you'll have to read it to get your punish.

Last edited:

JancroFin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jancr0fin
3DS FC
5472-8792-6103

This is not my best Gameplay (or camera work), which is why I decided to put it up for critique. I mostly want to know what better options I could have used, or how I could cover or erase some of my faults.

Also, I know I should use more tomohawks. You don't have to bring that up.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727

This is not my best Gameplay (or camera work), which is why I decided to put it up for critique. I mostly want to know what better options I could have used, or how I could cover or erase some of my faults.

Also, I know I should use more tomohawks. You don't have to bring that up.
When preventing an opponent from recovering from the deep, you'll want to go for Eruption instead of f-smash or d-smash as the explosion has some penetration that will help prevent the snap (You did this more in the later matches, which helped you out). Don't be afraid to get close to the edge when using it, as the tip of your sword is also a hurtbox. For Marth, if their recovery isn't deep but you expect a Dolphin Slash I find Counter works great here since they normally don't get the snap unless they go deep which puts them right in range of Ragnell.

You have a habit to go for a lot of hard reads, holding QD, throwing out random Counters or f-smash, which is easy to punish. You'll want to save those for Mix up options (Disrupting combos, breaking habits to throw off your opponent or surprise getaways, for example). Don't be afraid to use your tilts, as Ike's d-tilt has some great speed and range, while u-tilt can kill at mid-100% plus is harder to dodge than a smash for faster opponents.

The only other advice I have is to practice your spacing. Ragnell does have better range than Falchion, so giving yourself a little space for your f-airs and u-smashes will allow for better launching power. (Our sourspot is near the hilt of Ragnell, so for kill potential you'll want to keep them from being in front of your face) It's a little dangerous for us since Marth is a tipper, so care will be needed when challenging his smashes or shield breaker but with Aerials a spaced Ike will definitely beat out a Marth most of the time. (d-air I think out-reaches our u-air, but not much else)

Everything else will come with time as you familiarize yourself with Ike more. Have fun with him!

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Rangel has a sourspot on the hilt and the tip. The tip is the worst unless its up smash.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I know of Ragnell's hilt sourspot, but is there really one on the tip? Only source I can find about Smash 4 Ike with that info is the Wiki and only a few moves mention it. Some, like the dash attack, mention the tip causing more damage. (Has the Wiki for Ike been updated yet? I know some members have been working on it, but I haven't heard about their progress in a while.)

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
I know of Ragnell's hilt sourspot, but is there really one on the tip? Only source I can find about Smash 4 Ike with that info is the Wiki and only a few moves mention it. Some, like the dash attack, mention the tip causing more damage. (Has the Wiki for Ike been updated yet? I know some members have been working on it, but I haven't heard about their progress in a while.)
If you fsmash or usmash someone with the extreme tip of ragnell, you'll see that it does very less damage and knock back. I remember for usmash, the uncharged tip did only 10% and fully charged one did only 14%, and the opponent barely went anywhere.

Boo Mansion

Smash Apprentice
So just before the Mewtwo patch, I decided to go through and record some of my replays. I made a short compilation of some of the highlights that I thought I'd share here with you guys. I'm still working on my Ike, but these boards have been a big help in my progress.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Some games from my last tournament (70 entrants or so), any advice, things I need to include or anything else whats wrong with my playstyle? I think I already noticed some things I could do better, but it´s always good to hear other opinions.
thx for answers :)

vs R.O.B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mVchBqh2SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlyiPGbvtxE

vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra3UBOC6XyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2nClFqYdUU

vs Toon Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUP4VuzV1Us

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Some games from my last tournament (70 entrants or so), any advice, things I need to include or anything else whats wrong with my playstyle? I think I already noticed some things I could do better, but it´s always good to hear other opinions.
thx for answers :)

vs R.O.B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mVchBqh2SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlyiPGbvtxE

vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra3UBOC6XyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2nClFqYdUU

vs Toon Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUP4VuzV1Us
Watching your ROB fights, there were a few times where you were just jumping in place using n-air and f-air repeatedly. If you opponent isn't approaching you by the second one, you'll want to mix that up since after a while he'd just stand there outside your range and work on timing his shots right.

When recovering high, your opponent loved to fastfall into a n-air in an attempt to regain some ground from your edge-guarding. He always did it the same, anticipating a jump attack in an attempt to intercept. Hit that counter, and watch him fall to his death. (he uses up almost all of his Up-b rockets to get to that position, meaning he probably doesn't have enough fuel to return if you send him launching!) If nothing else, you'll make him think twice before challenging your position on the edge!

I haven't had a chance to properly look through the other videos yet. I'll post more as I find them.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Yoh Yoh With Fox, there were quite a few times where you'd get him with a Jab or grab but not do any follow-up with him. I'm not sure if you weren't expecting a connection on those moves or if the tournament was an online one, but when you go for a read like that you should be ready with both a plan and a backup. (In this case, the plan was to go through a combo after Jab1 or d-tilt if it hit and the backup would be to return to neutral if not.) Thinking like this will help condition your mind to look for the openings instead of having the surprise of "I've got him, now what?" that can sometimes happen when trying to buildup %. I've conditioned myself to glance at the % of my opponent, go for 0-3 headbutts and then a throw depending on the % if I get the grab. You do want to prevent predictability, but you also want enough of Ike's moves in muscle memory so that when opportunities arise you are more thinking one step ahead after that first hit lands instead of all the possibilities at that moment. (If that makes any sense.)

When fighting him in the air, his speed definitely lets him get close really fast. Despite this, when coming from the sides we will always out space him with our f-air. Use this spacing to your advantage to get that breathing room you need. It won't be easy, but something that will help is to avoid challenging him in the air when he's above or below as much as possible as our u-air will have a hard time beating out the range of his d-air and our d-air requires quite a bit of precision to counter his u-air.

It may seem like I'm nitpicking here, but it is only because there wasn't too much I would have done differently. Only a few times I would have been slightly more aggressive, but whether or not i would have worked in such a situation is unknown. You had a good defensive read on him, ultimately what you needed tweaking with is just an understanding on how to use that knowledge to set up for punishes. This really just takes time and practice with the MU to fully get.

This is brainstorming now, but I've noticed quite a few Fox players like to use rising f-airs for approach options when they are fighting heavies. I'm curious if u-tilt might not help more than d-tilt in this type of fight. Yeah, fox is faster and d-tilt would seem like the ideal due to his speed but he spends so much time doing short hops into aerials that I wonder if u-tilts range (which is still great) and rising hitbox may actually be more effective against this Fox's aggressive play style. (Catch him off guard and popup him up for our own juggle game!) I'll have to experiment with this and see how it would work out. (Doesn't mean others can't help. I don't seem to fight a lot of Fox's online nowadays. :ohwell: )

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
It was an offline tournament, I don´t really play wifi.
Thank you for your advice, I will keep those things in mind and try to work on it. Could have been a little more aggressive yeah, I think sometimes I was just to scared or not confident enough, which is why I missed those follow ups.
I think, I get how it should work, it´s just rather difficult in Smash 4 (for me at least) to play against those faster opponents like Sheik or Fox and use Ike´s moves precisely to beat them, even if I know what they are going to do next.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ Yoh Yoh , I can relate. In my case, I have the courage but lack the precision. The good news is practice will help both of those issues. If you get the opportunity to do some friendlies against a Fox, try to pick a secondary goal for the match. Example being "I'll interrupt one of Fox's attempts to rising f-air from the ledge!" or "I'll try to mix up a u-tilt in my punish the next time he tries to dash in!" and see if you can hit this goal. It will help get your mind focused to look for such openings and help expedite the experience needed to abuse your opponent's habits. It has helped me out immensely, especially against Ganondorf (not a fast character, but one I seem to struggle with since he can out-tank me), Captain Falcon and Fox.

Top Bottom