• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike had to rely on jabs, grabs, and nair because his tilts weren't reliable at close range. Almost all non-rapidfire jabs have been nerfed outside of like Sonic's or something. I feel that dash+shield is also much different, something that I abused a lot in the past. This Ike seems to demand use of all of his moveset, including ones that we never used that often such as his specials.

Fair seems to be more anti-air than anti-ground now. Brawl fair was already punishable with a dash grab. Nair, bair, and smashes seem around as good as before. Dair seems nerfed with the lingering hitbox removal, but the sourspot hitting to the side may be a hidden benefit. Uair is different. Tilts are all just plain better. Dtilt might even just replace jabs in many situations.

I'm interested in the combo potential of some of his special moves. Since we know all of the custom moves, I don't think it needs its own thread discussion anymore really. Going to look at them again:

QD1:
I'm interested in how QD1->Aether 2 works out, especially in the air. QD in Brawl didn't have enough reward, but it was easy to hit with. 4's QD is better in every way, and acting out of an aerial QD might lend to more followups, since we have the option of charging, and it reacts if they air dodge or have a physical projectile launched at us.

1:47- QD2 autocancelling. At 8:44, we can see that it has 2 hitboxes that hit for 3 and 4. It seems to provide decent setup opportunities, at least against large opponents. I don't think it has much more lag than QD1 at all. It seems best to use this with a short hop or B-reversal.

2:47 Aether 2: Seems to be a better anti-air. The initial hit and sword throw launches players away, and by the time Ike catches the sword, they're stuck in it. Possible followups from Jab3, high percent fthrow/bthrow with upwards VI, low % fair/bair, and out of a grounded or aerial QD hit hopefully. Aether 2 can deal 24% as shown at 7:27

12:19 Aether 3: It still retains its good range on the initial hitbox while being a lot faster. I think this has potential for followups where we cannot reach high enough. I think we can also use this as an anti-air that won't get punished easily if they dodge it. I think this has potential to be the best because of its speed alone as an actual attack.

Counter1:
People are using defensive options less, especially since you need to use an aerial to cancel air dodge lag. It seems easier to use in this game, but it's still pretty weak.

Counter 2 can be good if Ike has good grab combos or setup a spike if performed against someone in the air. I don't think it's worth it until we can find some good combos since it's so difficult to hit with it, perhaps just aether or something will work. If this counter ends faster than the others, it can be used as a b-reversal for landing.

Counter3:
I like this even if it doesn't hit often. I feel that it would deal massive damage to shields if blocked, and provides better reward than counter1, which is more of a damage builder than finisher.

Eruption 1 and 3 are self explanatory. They're deadly at the ledge or if they can super armor attacks.

I think eruption 2 deserves some experimentation. Jumping + eruption could also be an option if it has decreased lag from brawl (doubt it though). It will be interesting if eruption 2 can B reverse since it's faster than the others, gives us lift in the air, and pushes opponents away, knocking 3 birds with 1 stone for safer landings.

Meh, I guess some important things to look for once we get the game are to find out how much time we have to followup after throws and aerials

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I feel like QD3 should be very helpful against a character like MK whos gimping ability is still very good but the other 2 Quickdraws may seem good enough.
I've noticed that Fthrow and Bthrow has been putting opponents towards the ground and forcing tech chases at low to mid percents, which is pretty interesting because I don't think Bthrow into Dash Attack is guaranteed in this game but we'll find out soon.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's doubtful if they VI away, but it's always worth looking into, even if it's not guaranteed. >50% followup is good enough if there's no fear of punishment. JoeInky's Ike custom move analysis said that QD3 goes into freefall after hitting with it. That makes it less attractive to me, now. It's still probably best to confirm everything once the game comes out.

NineWholeGrains

Smash Rookie
JoeInky's Ike custom move analysis said that QD3 goes into freefall after hitting with it. That makes it less attractive to me, now. It's still probably best to confirm everything once the game comes out.
Dang, that's a bummer. I suppose it might still be useful if you set the other specials as more recovery based (Aether2, Wind Eruption). Or you could just have awesome VI. :p

I asked this in the custom moves section, but does anyone know if Ike enters freefall if he clinks with a projectile in QD2? I would assume not, but it's been on my mind for a bit. It would severely hinder usefulness as a recovery move.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I got the full game today. I played a bunch of characters, and tried Ike quite a bit. Here are my first impressions:

Aerials:
-Fair on shield is worse than in brawl, due to both range nerf and hitbox change (no hitbox in front/below Ike)
-Nair is still good. With proper spacing, hard to achieve on day 1, I'm sure it'll be just as useful as before, if not more.
-Can walk-off every aerial and still get back onstage with double-jump+upB.
-I think Ike does have some combo potential. In training mode, landing Uair>rising Uair registered as a combo at around 70/80 on a megaman. It probably won't be as easy as with Sheik, but with his fast(ish) nair and uair, and now solid jump and double-jump, Ike should string things reliably even after very low percent.
Edit: played around a bit more. I don't know how reliable that combo counter is, but it's looking good for Ike if it's not lying. With a bit of momentum carrying from a moving Nair, I could do a landing Nair> double-jump Bair at % as high as 87%, and still get it as a "real" combo.

Tilts:
-Dtilt hit very fast, think DK's Dtilt in Brawl. It has more cooldown than that though, but still less than Ike's old Dtilt. Overall I like it a lot.
-I think Ftilt is a little worse. It might be a bit faster (not sure, probably a little) but it's definitely smaller. I think Dtilt has more horizontal reach. (Also, pretty sure Ike's hurtbox doesn't lean forward like in brawl, which is good). it's also way less powerful (didn't kill a midweight at the edge of FD at like 120%)
-Utilt's lingering hitbox is basically gone.

Jab:
-I could jab a greninja so I guess jab3 not hitting is VI/DI/freshness/percent dependent.
-jab is now a huge commitment compared to what it was in brawl. Jab cancelling with Ike is way worse than with Link (I'm experimenting with the diagonal jab cancel thingy, doesn't work too great with Ike. Also trying to tap R after a jab1, to see if I can trick the game into letting me get out of the Jab combo without popping the shield out, and not sure about the result) Anyway jab1>jab1 definitly isn't an option. Jab1>roll is probably the safest way out.

Specials:
Nothing new here. Less horizontal mobility on aether1 than in brawl, Eruption probably as gimmicky as before.
QD is interesting though. It autocancels much high than in brawl, making it safer to use it as a desperation recovery/anti-juggling move. Even the regular landing lag (at heights where it would have autocancelled in brawl) isn't too bad.

Overall/misc:
-Ike feels a little faster. What's with his run speed, aerial mobility, and quicker Nair.
-Aether (even aether1) does silly stuff on FD. The super long slanted wall under the stage behaves like BF's in brawl, except 3 times longer. Not sure how often an Ike could go that far under FD without being able to recover before that, but he could UpB facing the stage with no problem.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Fair worse on shield? ;_;
How's the landing lag on it?
If you can combo a Uair into an Uair, I'm assuming the landing lag on it is decent.
Have you tried Jab->Grab?
Finally, can you still combo Dash Attack from throws?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Kudos for posting this despite it being so late :)

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
By increased aerial mobility do you mean he has faster air speed, compared to SSBB? If so, that may help compensate for the loss of horizontal distance with Aether. Also, how is his falling speed in this one?

^-^

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Fair worse on shield? ;_;
How's the landing lag on it?
If you can combo a Uair into an Uair, I'm assuming the landing lag on it is decent.
Have you tried Jab->Grab?
Finally, can you still combo Dash Attack from throws?
Fair's landing lag isn't too bad, around the same as in brawl.
Same for Uair, about the same than in brawl, perhaps a little less. You can also do Uair>jab and stuff like that at very low %, to give you an idea.
Jab>grab feels as awkard as jab>dtilt. I don't think it's impossible to land it, but I doubt very much that it's guaranteed.
You can tech chase with dash attack if the opponent messes a tech up after a throw. I don't think it comboes for real anymore, but it could be the case at very specific % on some characters, idk.

Kudos for posting this despite it being so late :)
No problem ;) was up playing with a friend anyway

By increased aerial mobility do you mean he has faster air speed, compared to SSBB? If so, that may help compensate for the loss of horizontal distance with Aether. Also, how is his falling speed in this one?

^-^
Not sure about the actual technical term. I don't know about his "shifting" mobility (the Wario one in brawl), but his top speed in the air (the Jigglypuff/Yoshi one in brawl) def got buffed a bit. I compared with brawl Ike using short-hops on Corneria and Yoshi's Island, and SSB4 Ike went a little more far. So yeah, overall it could counter-balance the nerf on aether. Ike's falling speed appears to be the same.

Other misc:
You can kind of approach with Airdodges with Ike, like Mario does. If you do a rising short hop airdodge, it'll end before you hit the ground (you can even input a Nair to be sure, which animation will appear to start but with no hitbox/landing lag, reminescent of Diddy's Dair in brawl and some other aerials) and you won't suffer any lag. Could be useful to go through projectiles.
ALSO, can't believe I forgot about that. Aerials appear to clank with projectiles (first one I destroyed with a Nair was Diddy's banana.. what a change !)

-RedX-

Smash Lord
If Ike's aerials can hit projectiles, I'm definitely curious about how QD2 interects with them.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
I can agree with Blubo there on most things, also got the game.
It still feels kinda awkward, faster up air is cool but I miss the killing power.
Tilts feel the same except for d-tilt which is actually pretty cool. Smashes feel almost the same, f-smash does not feel any faster to me, but has less killing power. Jabs seems still okay, but not nearly as good as in brawl, I´m am not sure if he has any true follow ups from it.
Fair is indeed a little faster but it doesn´t make up for the hitbox and range it lost.
Counter comes out faster which I like side B has a little big less lag when you come from the air I guess, Aether is cool now on FD Stages since he slides along the stage from underneath. Eruption dunno has it lost the SA Frames? Because I can´t seem to use them.

Footstool dair seems to work on all characters with normal size, in brawl it only worked against Wario when I remember correctly.
Dair kills to the side when you do not hit with the spike hitbox, bair and nair feel good, nair seems to be even better than in brawl.

Ike feels more agile and I see some combo potential which he had not before, but he has less kill power.
Well gonna try it all out.

Last edited:

McX

Smash Cadet
I've had a look at some more ike gameplay.

Jab to dtilt is a viable combo option, since dtilt is a 2-3 frame move which ike never had before other than his jab, plus it's a really good shield stabber and ranged option.
Ike's really much faster with his quickdraw and ftilt. I think eruption did lose their SA frames, that and it's quite hard to pull them off because they only seem to be about 4-5 frames.
Rolldodges are much more common in this game. You can't airdodge to avoid ike from above anymore, so upsmash is one of ike's best moves right now.
Fair has a slightly lingering hitbox.
Aether does not go through the stage anymore, which sucks so we can't aether stall anymore.
I don't know about aether spiking. You can grab the edge facing away from it with other characters with up B, but I haven't seen it tried with ike.
Punishing with aether is a good option in this game I think, since it has increased range and a lot of really annoying characters like to jump above you to counter (pacman and fire hydrant) and it's also one of ike's faster moves other than his bair for countering opponents who attack from behind.
Dair is a combo starter because of the new spike mechanics.
Uair is a great shield stabber. The shields can get really small very quickly in this game, and uair has the potential to pierce shields.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Sorry if it's been asked before and I didn't notice, but does FTilt's improved speed make it viable at all for being a combo finisher?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Should we try to accumulate a lot of what's changed once the game comes out? I'll probably just make a new thread and have this and custom moves unstickied. I think it'll be best to start with correct data, so I probably won't make the thread until after the game is out.

I'll probably try to time attacks to see which one looks faster, best I can do.

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Should we try to accumulate a lot of what's changed once the game comes out? I'll probably just make a new thread and have this and custom moves unstickied. I think it'll be best to start with correct data, so I probably won't make the thread until after the game is out.

Absolutely, shouldn't be too big of a task with a few of us working at it.

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
I know tomorrow at midnight I'm just hitting training mode for a few hours to see what still works for us and what new follow ups we might have. Also can't recall the video but I remember seeing back throw to dash attack still work at low %

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I don't mind keeping the thread updated and writing, but I don't like the formatting and prettying, lol.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Someone's going to have to make a new thread, getting rid of the non-Social pre-release threads are mandatory at this point (though the Social thread can also be revamped if people ask for it), and it's no fun if the Staff (aka myself) has to make them all like in some of the other character boards.

The following still need to be made:

• Moveset Revamp - pretty much claimed by @ san. san.
  • Q&A
  • Match Ups
  • Stage Discussion

Just try to have a decent OP and be there for updates if needed.

Last edited:

ShadowsAsgard95

Smash Rookie
Guys, I got the game yesterday and I played Ike several times to find if he still is avaiable in this game.

Now, the first thing I have to say, is that I don't know how to jab cancel in this game, I mean, I know how to do it, but I don't understand :v.

Ike's killing potential is surely nerfed. Btw, his Dthrow is a 100% combo, into a Fair or an Aether (I havent tried Uair yet) until mid/high percentages. Ike'QD still autocancels on the ground, but you have to do it at more height than before... If you do it like we did in Brawl, Ike will have few frames of inactivity before reading the inputs. You have to do it in a position where, at the moment you land, Ike is starting the special fall. He will intantly react to your inputs this way. Instead of a SH Quickdraw, it's more likely a Full Hop QD. Less useful, but it exsists.

The counter is AMAZING. Instantaneous startup, little bit reduced range I think, but so much better.

Eruption is still garbage, looking for his customs.

I never thought Aether was a bad recovery. i always said it was one of the best instead, due to its vertical height, good distance to sweetspot the ledge and safeness. But now is ****. You can go even less far horizontally, and you cannot grab the ledge if you're not facing it. That means less chanches to spike someone who's recovering and I fear it's troublesome for a Mario Cape too... Ok, it comboes well after Dthrow, but apart this, is real ****.

His aerials... i like them, though I've to get used to them. His Nair is much faster, with less aerial lag, and the landing lag is still barely noticeable (though not as short as in Brawl, I think), and seems to have a little bit more range than before. Really useful for an approach.

His Fair... I regret everything I said before, it's not as bad as I thought. It has good coverage, is useful against enemies on plaforms and above you, and when coming in stage from the ledge. If you fastfall it, it hase pretty much the same effects as before.

His Uair has lost killing potential, but seems to have more range and comes out faster.

His Bair... Nerf in killing potential and seems like it not autocancels in a SH... i have to figure it out.

I haven't successfully used a Dair due to the new fastfall mechanics, but I think it's still an useful tool.

His jab isn't as reliable as before, expecially the last hit. Plus, it doesn't deal 16%, but 12% :v... I really have to learn how to do jab cancel... Though, some characters like Cpt. Falcon and Palutena can easily jab cancel, I don't know why ._.

His Ftilt isn't as fast as I thought, you have to space it really well, or use it to punish aerials, which is a better use to me.

His Utilt seems unchanged, good killing move and more reliable maybe.

His Dtilt btw is THE FUTURE. So fast, good knockback, good edgeguard tool, good combo in a jab.

Ike's mobility seems pretty much the same, maybe it's better than before in the air. I think we really need a C-Stick...

If you have questions, fell free to ask! ^^

McX

Smash Cadet
Sorry it appears I was wrong about aether, so we can still aether stall on the edge, it's just the invincibility frames are gone.

Also, I don't really agree with how ike is depicted here. He's obviously depicted as really awkward at aggressive play, but zero missed out on most of ike's defensive options.
Also, we didn't see anything about jab 1 cancelling, he was only trying it with jab 2, which seems to cancel at a little later than it did in brawl.
He got the right idea with the dtilt edgeguard, it just needs to be spaced.
Ike's fair just seems really awkward in sm4sh compared to brawl.. it doesn't feel solid at all.

I'm really thinking about taking advantage of ike's pressure options with fair and bair. He isn't really built for ground games.

As for the post above me: That sucks. Other characters can grab the ledge facing away with their up B's, but not ike? Dumb.
Eruption is apparently stronger.
I like how counter is sounding. I will use it more.
Fair is really important for ike, so I'm glad to see it's still practical.
Uair has the same range as brawl I believe. Dair could be a good counter move.
Try to learn jab cancelling and show us if you can. I really want to see that jab 1 and jab 2 cancel.
Utilt is an amazing guarding move, especially for opponents using aerial approaches.
Dtilt is amazing too. Looking forward to comboing with it.

GenericSonicFanName

Smash Rookie
I really hope Ike wasn't nerfed. I need to fight for my friends, and to do that I need better recovery and faster tilts lol

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Dthrow can also combo into up air, even into dair, at least in training mode it is counted as "true" combo.
Footstool dair works on some characters like ZSS, Paluten etc.
dtilt is indeed so awesome, you just have to love this move.
nair to fair or nair to bair works pretty well around dunno exactly 30%-60%.

It also feels like you can do more offstage things with Ike since edgehogging is gone and he has a better double jump.
and with aether sliding along the stage underneath to recover it seems very difficult to interrupt even against counters if you do it correct.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I really hope Ike wasn't nerfed. I need to fight for my friends, and to do that I need better recovery and faster tilts lol
Ike's changes can be best described as bittersweet...

Unlike most, if not all of the veteran characters in this iteration, there is no definitive answer of whether Ike has been overall buffed or nerfed, nor do his buffs seem to even outweigh his nerfs. Although several of his attacks, such as D-tilt, are now faster and have less ending lag, they are offset by lower damage output and knockback. As for his recovery, a slash from Quick Draw no longer renders him helpless, allowing for follow-ups, such as Aether; however, from what a few have said, Aether now travels less distance horizontally. To make matters worse, reverse Aether on the ledge is now impossible, increasing vulnerability to counters. Finally, the game's physics changes granted Ike somewhat greater mobility in both air and ground but also deprived him of effective jab canceling, which is perhaps his biggest nerf, considering how much of his Brawl metagame was influenced by it.

I wonder what the defining feature(s) of Ike's metagame would look like for this game. Looks like we'll be forced to adapt to these changes and develop new ways to play Ike.

^-^

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ike's changes can be best described as bittersweet...

Unlike most, if not all of the characters in this iteration, there is no definitive answer of whether Ike has been overall buffed or nerfed, nor do his buffs seem to even outweigh his nerfs. Although several of his attacks, such as D-tilt, are now faster and have less ending lag, they are offset by lower damage output and knockback. As for his recovery, a slash from Quick Draw no longer renders him helpless, allowing for follow-ups, such as Aether; however, from what a few have said, Aether now travels less distance horizontally. To make matters worse, reverse Aether on the ledge is now impossible, increasing vulnerability to counters. Finally, the game's physics changes granted Ike somewhat greater mobility in both air and ground but also deprived him of effective jab canceling, which is perhaps his biggest nerf, considering how much of his Brawl metagame was influenced by it.

I wonder what the defining feature(s) of Ike's metagame would look like for this game. Looks like we'll be forced to adapt to these changes and develop new ways to play Ike.

^-^
Honestly, this sums up the fears I have with Smash 4 Ike from watching videos and reading player comments on him. The nerfs seem targeted specifically at his best tools (jab) and attributes (killing power) while the buffs seem arbitrary in a sense in that they don't open up new strategies (unlike say Zelda with Farore's Wind) nor make him better at what he's designed to do (unlike say Mario's with down throw or Ganondorf with his overall increased attack speed).

In the end Ike's predicament looks eerily similar to Marth's situation: on paper they don't look worse than in Brawl outside of a few subtle but important changes but in practice those changes combined with the general improvements most of the cast received make it so that Marth and Ike have to work a lot harder to get results. I must note that haven't played the game yet so I can't be truly sure of my opinion until I get my hands on Ike and see for myself.

Last edited:

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
Honestly, this sums up the fears I have with Smash 4 Ike from watching videos and reading player comments on him. The nerfs seem targeted specifically at his best tools (jab) and attributes (killing power) while the buffs seem arbitrary in a sense in that they don't open up new strategies (unlike say Zelda with Farore's Wind) nor make him better at what he's designed to do (unlike say Mario's with down throw or Ganondorf with his overall increased attack speed).

In the end Ike's predicament looks eerily similar to Marth's situation: on paper they don't look worse than in Brawl outside of a few subtle but important changes but in practice those changes combined with the general improvements most of the cast received make it so that Marth and Ike have to work a lot harder to get results. I must note that haven't played the game yet so I can't be truly sure of my opinion until I get my hands on Ike and see for myself.
Yes, everything so far makes us nervous about potential with Ike, but let's just summerize some things. The game have introduce some new mechanics, meaning that some character might have some advantage on this where the same thing wouldn't be advantageous in past smashes. For exemple, nobody will be able to pick the ledge to prevent Ike for getting the ledge following an Aether.

Competitively wise, every small thing is what put a character good or not. Right now, Ike might get looks as low tier, but it's only the release of the game. When someone will find out a good set about Ike, he might get up in rank. That's what this forum is for, getting the best out of our characters !

Silver Forte

Smash Rookie
I think Ikes custom moves will also play a big part in his potential, as it seems he got some of the better ones.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I like acting out of QD hit in the air. Is it the same on swinging at an air dodging opponent? Might run that more than QD2 (or whichever it was that went through people). Seems like there's less cool down after hit than in P:M.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can do a sliding counter out of a dash. Quarter circle forward to down and time it right while running and it'll do it. Counter feels overall much better than before, although the opponent can move a little bit more after the counter triggers.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
FAir feels weird, you guys weren't kidding about its hitbox being higher than it was before; definitely works a lot more like an anti-air move.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Reverse aether is still good. You can actually use it offstage a bit farther than Brawl since it seems to move the same distance forward and back. The extra backwards movement allows for better control and can be useful on stages like Battlefield.

Gonna try to make the thread later tonight with moves and stuff. Probably won't have many pictures/pretty formatting though.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
It seems a bit more difficult to hit ike(unless you're possibly megaman, samus, etc.) out of aether, it's as almost if the hitbox sticks out like a sore thumb.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Got all of Ike's customs in 2 rounds of Classic Mode. Boy was that easy.

The initial hit box of aether outreaches his ftilt/fsmash lol. It sucked in Brawl because it never chained into the other hits, but it's better now. Aether is quite good against the heavier characters that can't escape easily.

Ike in Smash 4 is kind of weird. Movement is good, attacks start quicker with ~the same to slightly worse end lag (can't double jump after full hop bair for instance). But the game mechanics makes it really easy to hit people and tactics that were gimmicky in Brawl are now potent such as chasing landings and punishing with quick draw. I got used to his fair, and it's quite good as an anti-air / wall of pain.

One thing I haven't gotten used to is how your fast falling ends when you start an aerial. It messes up my timing a lot. Another thing is that I'm not very good with dair just yet. The lack of lingering hitboxes makes it hard for me to use it.

I forgot to mention that combat walking is still in. It's just slower and only useful at higher percents.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Got all of Ike's customs in 2 rounds of Classic Mode. Boy was that easy.

The initial hit box of aether outreaches his ftilt/fsmash lol. It sucked in Brawl because it never chained into the other hits, but it's better now. Aether is quite good against the heavier characters that can't escape easily.

Ike in Smash 4 is kind of weird. Movement is good, attacks start quicker with ~the same to slightly worse end lag (can't double jump after full hop bair for instance). But the game mechanics makes it really easy to hit people and tactics that were gimmicky in Brawl are now potent such as chasing landings and punishing with quick draw. I got used to his fair, and it's quite good as an anti-air / wall of pain.

One thing I haven't gotten used to is how your fast falling ends when you start an aerial. It messes up my timing a lot. Another thing is that I'm not very good with dair just yet. The lack of lingering hitboxes makes it hard for me to use it.

I forgot to mention that combat walking is still in. It's just slower and only useful at higher percents.
D-throw/U-throw -> Aether seems pretty legit too at early percents in this game.

And wait what? Starting an aerial stops fastfalling? Did I read that correctly?

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you hold A and Ike misses his kick (going to be referred to as jab2), Ike automatically shifts back to jab1. You can do it without enemies if you tap A, release, then hold A again, and time it multiple times to "walk" with jab across the stage.

Also, I think the paralyzing counter is just as good as the others at least. The timing for that counter is similar to Brawl Ike's counter, so it's not *that slow and it doesn't last as long as the others. However, you *can followup easily at low percents and it does lead to an easy upsmash/upward angled ftilt at high percents and maybe fsmash.

At low percents, use paralyzing counter -> aether is the easiest one. You'll get a good 20%. The diagonal aether can get you up to 28%. If you're close, against heavy characters dthrow->aether works.

D-throw/U-throw -> Aether seems pretty legit too at early percents in this game.

And wait what? Starting an aerial stops fastfalling? Did I read that correctly?
Yep, it was pretty noticeable for me in the demo. That's what made it so difficult to land some attacks. You have to either input the aerial then fast fall, or fast fall, input the aerial, then fast fall again.

Same for specials, too. It's so bad that you can't even fast fall any specials as far as I know. Fast fall quick draw was useful in a pinch situation.

Last edited:

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
I can confirm you can indeed act out of quickdraw midair if the sword swings. I have also been winning the majority of my matches in for glory lol. :D

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
I can confirm you can indeed act out of quickdraw midair if the sword swings. I have also been winning the majority of my matches in for glory lol. :D
i've not bothered with it yet, net play with non-ranking is just terribru, even when going 1v1 with items XD
but also, can we confirm SAF from eruption 1 is gone? had a few times when using it then when ragnell strikes the ground, it still managed to be interrupted and knocked back

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom