• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i dunno, if ike still feels like the most fun character then yeah i will. but i play characters because i enjoy them the most and can use them to an extent.
its a long way off yet though. which is a shame, ill probably be in a full time job or university by the time that gets released...dear god thats actually quite scary seeing as university is-in reality-out of reach for someone of my intelligence

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, it wasnt my greatest idea to take on the subjects which are hardest to pass in college (or high school to you guys i think) its a ton of work, and 3 hours travel each end of the day doesnt keep me in top shape for learning XD
that, and uni prices went from £3000 maximum to up to 15000 maximum. so moneys is a problem XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Money is always a problem :| i don't understand why college costs so much personally .-.; anyone wanna enlighten me with a reason that isn't called greed?

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Money is always a problem :| i don't understand why college costs so much personally .-.; anyone wanna enlighten me with a reason that isn't called greed?

It does annoy me that our my university is making profit every year, and now has a whole channel dedicated to them (UT Longhorns), but they continue to raise the tuition every year, because they are too busy spending money trying to expand the stadium past its 100,000 seat capacity which rarely gets filled.

I mean a few things make sense. They just finished constructing a new Biology building, and are still constructing another building. But not every college is constantly using their money for construction.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
they need to give ike his shockwave back. when the heck did he ever do eruption?
That was basically my first thought when Ike was announced on the Dojo...Hell, I still question the decision, let's hope Sakurai has enough sense to give him Ragnell's shockwave as his B move instead.

I'll still use Ike either way, although if Isaac or Matthew are added, he'll have to be a secondary.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
WSU continuously refuses to address the parking problems, but they spend their cash on constructing a building for baseball players to practice in. Is there something amiss, or is it just me? And I don't think it's just me.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
WSU continuously refuses to address the parking problems, but they spend their cash on constructing a building for baseball players to practice in. Is there something amiss, or is it just me? And I don't think it's just me.
producing a famous sportsman will provide an influx of tourism and therefore money to the city/university. so that would be the reasoning. its a similar sort of reason as to why we hyped the royal wedding so much, i didnt give a damn. but it bought approximately 6billion B.P.S (or about 10billion U.S.D) into the country just from tourism. we really needed that :p

also guys. i've been looking at a different way of approaching with ike and its seemed to have some very promising results. although i have to take into account my opponents when im at home are far from top class

Basically what i've been doing is approaching while facing backwards (well, when appoaching with nair anyway) and playing a little bit like i was using dk (only with nair instead of bair) and heres the perks of it:

1. by nairing as soon as you jump while facing backwards. the hitbox reaches your opponent just as you land (providing its spaced correctly) which means you dont need to try and precisely time when you perform your nair to make it its most effective. saves on brain processes in the sense of timing

2. You have much better/faster OOS options when's you're facing away from the opponent. lets say your nair hits their sheild and so you shield to avoid getting hit (you wont get grabbed because you spaced the nair well) you can then be safe from the jab/tilt and then you have our beautifully fast b-air to smack them in the face with.

3. You're still pretty much the same speed at jabbing after the nair. It's only one frame extra from facing backwards to jabbing. if you effectively land the nair, that one extra frame shouldnt really matter. you need to have fairly consistent timing to buffer the turnaround perfectly though

4. You can use the B-air instead of the F-air to hit people when nair isnt an option from reversed approach. This isnt so much of a perk as a different set of options. f-air is probably better for this scenario. but people are more adjusted to dealing with that these days.

problems, on the other hand:

1. You have to be aerial with this approach. you cant dash-shield to get into proximity while facing backwards. this leaves you fairly open

2. The nair hitbox comes from under you, not in front of you when facing backwards. this means characters like wario and marth can get in and hit you before the nair hitbox reaches them. whereas normally the nair hitbox would have protected you from the usual assualt

3. The technicallity involved with the constant turning around while still playing at a high level would be really high. its something im currently struggling to do.

4. The OOS b-air goes over a lot of characters heads. but this is less of a problem. as these are typically the same characters who fare worse with the low hitting nair so that should cover it

personally, the characters i find this would be really quite useful on are:
Mario
Bowser
DK
Diddy
Link
Sheik
Toon link
Samus
ZSS
Ice climbers
Olimar
Fox
Wolf
Falcon
Ness
Lucas
Snake
Sonic

jez this text wall took too long, please let me know what you think. if its a yay or nay

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yep, it can be used as a reasonable approach. Just remember with nair it takes a long time before the backwards part of the hitbox begins to come out, so nair isn't an option when up close.

You can also just air dodge since we have jab and grab upon landing, or we can dash away or bair.

You can approach with a sliding shield facing backwards by QD canceling and buffering a turnaround shield. It's pretty nice for bair OoS or jab Oos anyways.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah. its funny because this dk i was playing was previously shutting me down all the time and as soon as i started doing that i started wrecking. so i felt it deserved a text wall XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So went to my first ever baseball game (Phillies vs Chicago Cubs) and it storms during the 4th inning :|

I was sooooo soaking wet along with my sister. It was raining hard enough to sting being in it.. It was a long walk tp the car .-.;

Great first experience

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
So went to my first ever baseball game (Phillies vs Chicago Cubs) and it storms during the 4th inning :|

I was sooooo soaking wet along with my sister. It was raining hard enough to sting being in it.. It was a long walk tp the car .-.;

Great first experience

*Checks the score*

Of course Philly shines when they got newcomers.

=D

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yea i watchex that home run bring in 3 runs in the 2nd inning. It was intense since it was 3 balls 2 strikes and 2 outs.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Multiplayer Modded Doom is awesome. It's fun to watch other people telefrag each other on my levels. lol

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame

Great first experience

Don't you play Touhou? Can't you stand in the rain and not get wet? Graze those rain drops.

So yeah, today I had graduation mass (graduation part 1 of 2). And the lightning outside timed well while the chorus was singing. 'Twas epic.

Also: I have trouble with the Link MU. Most of it is probably wifi lag preventing me from PS'ing projectiles, but maybe some general stuff could help.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was really really bored today, so ironically I was playing Legan today on wifi. But that's besides the point.
I haven't played Legan offline, but I have played Kirinblaze, though.

Link is pressured by our aerial and ground game. I recommend mastering dash + powershielding so you can do things like jabs, grabs, or aerials right afterward.

As a tether character, if we jab link's shield, jab2 comes out before Link can grab us, but Link can grab us after jab2. That means you have a chance to mixup after jab1 on shield if the opponent is aware of this with aerials like bair or other jab mixups.

Bthrow dash attack Link offstage when you can. Don't be afraid to bthrow dash attack at low %s like 30% if you know how to buffer it correctly. Link can attempt to quick tether to the ledge, though. We can just fair wall Link when he's at the ledge like that.

Link is fairly difficult to kill, but he's pretty safe to just jump off and attack him with aerials offstage.

Link is fairly weak to get out of jab strings.

Don't get caught up with zair and projectiles. We can just dash + shield to close the distance or dash + powershield to punish if Link isn't retreating. Assume that Link will zair when he airdodges, and do some on-reaction punish like jab if he doesn't.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Speaking of that, I never noticed Bthrow/Fthrow > walk-off Fair was any good against some characters. I really don't like to do it since we're in a bad position if we miss, but it's really fun to mix-up. I've also been using FF or normal falling Uair when I'm coming back to the stage, and my opponent's trying to edge-guard or stands within range.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Don't you play Touhou? Can't you stand in the rain and not get wet? Graze those rain drops.

So yeah, today I had graduation mass (graduation part 1 of 2). And the lightning outside timed well while the chorus was singing. 'Twas epic.

Also: I have trouble with the Link MU. Most of it is probably wifi lag preventing me from PS'ing projectiles, but maybe some general stuff could help.
I was shielding my sister from the rain.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think walkoff fair is pretty lousy, since you only have that one swing and you don't have any offstage control. If you jump before your aerials, you can easily space two aerials and make it back.

+ you need to be near frame-perfect to walk-off fair an make it back to the stage. You can easily mistime it, as well as your spacing against your opponent. No leeway for variation when timing fair.

I would only recommend considering it iff the opponent is obviously recovering low, they will die by fair, and you're fairly high percent.

You can fastfall an aerial and make it back to the stage if you initiate it around BF lower platform level and you have a double jump.

Even without a double jump, aerials are usable up until you reach the level of the stage edge.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
FF uair is pretty sweet too bad it hits up :| stage spiking with it is nice though

Walk off fair stil is lethal to some characters who can't afford to ad it at a bad angle.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I wouldn't really ff uair offstage unless I'm trying to be fancy trying to recover.

Uair at that height won't kill at all, and it's very easy to miss and get punished. And the awkward hitbox of uair requires you to be directly on them. FFing it implies they're below you which is absurd to try to use it on them.

Uair really shouldn't be fast falled unless you're following someone's air dodge. It should be initiated horizontally to the opponent if you're not facing them. If you're facing them, they should be diagonally up from you. I don't use uair much unless it's a guaranteed kill when used or if I predict a jump near the top of the stage.

Fair meets almost every criteria that I want. Bair supplements it.

Thing about walk off fair is, that jump + fair is better in almost every way lol.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'd never walk off anything except Dair and Fair(against certain characters). Anything else is way too risky for me. :l

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i walk off fair occasionally if i manage to grab people while im right at the edge. its great for messing up ice climbers. which i use rob for exclusively. but you know XD

i like to u-air below the stage as a valid kill attempt. but thats because all bar one member of the good uk community uses lightweight characters. so it still kills about 140%
inversely it sucks because theres only one good player in which jab cancelling into other jabs actually has use

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Remember to slightly delay jab2 after jab1 for much more combo potential, and easier combat walk setups.

Think of the timing for jab1->jab1 and do it for jab2 instead. Since jab1->jab1 is a combo, jab1->delayed jab2 should also still be one.

Top Bottom