• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you think you love falcon as much as me please read.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
i never played after the 1v1s cuz i was pissed at my cousins for making me SD the first match in the end were i was bout to win, then they just run the place took my controler and started playing you, no johns tho. theyre pretty good too.yea your right tho keykid. ugh i hate to say this but, i wanna apologize to everyone for trying to make my stupid point. it was all ego. i know i have to learn to control myself. so again im sorry and it would be nice to start fresh with you guys.

oh i get my wii the 31st =( how gay is that. imagine. ive only played brawl 3 times so far. when i have my wii woooshh.
Yeah your cousins are pretty good, especially whoever Ike was. I guess I was struggling against the FFA Ike because I thought it was you still so I was expecting you to follow your usual tendencies and then that didn't happen so I got owned a couple times. lol We'll definitely do some more 1v1s though.

By the way apology accepted. I'm glad we can now move forward with our differences behind us. :)

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
The good energy in this thread is making me pretty happy.
Maybe this is the start of a beautiful friendship between Ike and Falcon players everywhere.
I hope so.

I hope so.

Z-Magic

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah when you get your wii I wana play you Jona and I still want to play you keykid ok?

P.S. sorry about calling you epic fail jona I just got tired of you calling Falcon crap and I don't dislike Ike I used to use him alot but I learned i was better with other characters.:ohwell:

reilina_06

Smash Rookie
wow such a happy ending, this is the best topic i ever read in this community.
its like watching a a movie.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
haha yea, and dont worry about callin me anything z-magic. its all good. 3 more days. ill get my flippin wii. and ill actually be able to practice. oh ill be on tommorow, wait today um, on friday at around 3:30 till around 5 so if you guys wanna play me ill be at my cousins house. hopefully only one of them will be there so i dont get disturbed.

oh the time is for the east coast.

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
i think a lot of people like captain falcon for the character he is himself. can ike falcon paunch? no, so this is why people still have a little captain in them

Mizar

Smash Ace
I mained wolf and Tlink for a while, but I never do as good as with falcon :S
I played some online matches against random people the other day and ''the knee'' isnt that hard to pull of.
You just gotta time it right (its kinda similar to zelda's f and b-air)
Anyway, I think Falcon is still pretty good despite the downgrade. Oh, and his sidetaunt rocks.

''COME OWN!''

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I mained wolf and Tlink for a while, but I never do as good as with falcon :S
I played some online matches against random people the other day and ''the knee'' isnt that hard to pull of.
You just gotta time it right (its kinda similar to zelda's f and b-air)
Anyway, I think Falcon is still pretty good despite the downgrade. Oh, and his sidetaunt rocks.

''COME OWN!''
lol If he didn't do the hand gesture I would've never known that he said "come on!" It always sounds like he's wailing like a rooster to me (sort of like a "CAAAAHW!").

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
Ike is not too hard to get okay at fast, but seriously, after about a week, Ike's weaknesses are easily exploitable. How do I know this? BOTH of my friends are Ikes. It was challenging for the first week. Falcon is still as fun as ever, in my opinion if a little harder.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
Oh my gosh that opening line made me bust out laughing. As if people didn't think Marth was gay already Nintendo goes and makes Ike say "I fight for my friends"
At least they didn't use the Radiant Dawn Ike, who looks like he's straight out of Contra (and we know Bill and Lance were totally gay ;)) Though in their defense, Ike doesn't fight for fame, power, fortune or a country, so what the hell else is there to fight for other than friends (they could've totally said friendship and then he'd definitely be gay.). Another thing to point out is that at the end of Radiant Dawn, if you have a A support with Soren, he ends up following Ike everywhere (gay innuendo much?). Final point is this though, Ike's sister, Mist, is MOST DEFINITELY A LESBIAN!

Back on track, Falcon = Awesome flavor sauce and can be used.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
This thread is lame. OP should feel sad.
QFT

boohoo my character who i know and love since 64 "sucks" now, im going to ***** out and pick another character who can do all the work for me.

be a real man and stick with it.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Meh...i disagree with your "The knee is gone" statement. Yea, it's not as good, but i still use it fairly often, and the sweetspot isn't THAT hard to get down.

Really, it isn't...and i've had it KO at 50 percent a few times. I still like it.

Agreed that his up air is still sick. His bair is still great, and his dash attack (yes, his dash attack) has potential as a combo starter. He's still a good combination of speed/strength if you're using him properly. But i'll tell you one thing, if you were expecting falcon to carry over from melee.....15 matches with him isn't enough.

Keep trying. Underneath his new disadvantages lies a good character.

Medic

Smash Cadet
Well, to be completely honest, I was a ridiculously loyal Young Link player for 6 .7 out of 7 years of Melee. Then, that last .3, I tried out Falcon, and then had a my order of playing be Young Link, Captain Falcon, and Mewtwo.
In Brawl, I love Falcon. I'll play him because I think he has a lot of potential. He's more of a 'think about how to play me' rather than a straightforward 'go for the throat' character. That's not to say anything negative about other characters, because I'm not implying any weaknesses nor that Falcon is automatically better. Playing Falcon is difficult, but enjoyable.
As a side note, I am proud to say that I was the first in my immediate group of friends to clear Intense Classic - with Cap. Falcon. But that's not really relevant to the world of 1v1 smash.
In any case, Falcon is a hero among heroes and playing him is an experience I truly enjoy. And to those who don't know who to play, I'll warn you that Falcon is difficult to play, but most certainly worth it. Playing Falcon is enjoyable and I am proud to say that I salute both Falcon and his Punch.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
Probably been said before, but you simply cannot rate a character by how well you can pick up and play him in an entirely new environment. Now point by point:

there is no knee anymore.
Uh, so if you can't sweetspot, the knee doesn't exist? It's very handy, useful, and helps Falcon stand out from other speedies like Sonic and MK.

u-air is still sexy as hell.
nair=junk
nair = both kicks are long now = not junk. Best approacher Falcon could ask for, really. Just SH(FF) it.

dair lag is terrible.
You didn't use it early enough. Impulsive early lag-free dairs aren't that hard to get down. Adjust to him.

raptor boost is crap.
Congratulations! Because a move doesn't do the same thing it did in Melee, it must be useless. Yeah, the Raptor Boost got nerfed, but with some spam lowering / low percentages you can uair people out of it, and it spikes like nothing. Oh, and it's usable recovery now with auto sweetspotting.

Falcon is not the same character. Yeah, he's not as good. He doesn't suck though. Now to hit reply and see that everyone has already said this!

Mann

Smash Ace
The reason why Nair is junk is because of how hard it is to hit people with it now is because of the hit stun after moves and/or range. Sure, it's long, but that doesn't mean it's going to hit. It was really important to try to hit with both kick in Melee, but now it's harder to even land one. Most of the times when I use it is when I ledgehop back on to the stage, or at low %'s when the opponent makes a mistake.

Even if the Dairs are lag free, means you can't always use it when you need to. To auto-cancel it, you need to do it RIGHT after you jump. No way to try and anticipate when they are going to remove the shield if using it as an approach. And because of his priority/range, he has a hard time coming down on anyone. Have to work harder to try and make your opponent get hit by it.

The raptor boost is still useful, but the knock back still makes it harder to try and make consecutive hits.

Hard.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
The reason why Nair is junk is because of how hard it is to hit people with it now is because of the hit stun after moves and/or range. Sure, it's long, but that doesn't mean it's going to hit. It was really important to try to hit with both kick in Melee, but now it's harder to even land one. Most of the times when I use it is when I ledgehop back on to the stage, or at low %'s when the opponent makes a mistake.
I was fairly certain that it didn't matter at all if you laded the first kick, and that it was actually almost worse to against guys like Marth who'd just grab you. Sure they can roll out of the first kick, still useful approaching though if you time it right in your SH.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I know that it's easier to get consecutive hits in when Raptor Boost doesn't throw them way up in the air, but I still find it REALLY advantageous even if they are thrown way up in the stratosphere. Falcon's Uair > most peoples' Dairs. So I'm perfectly content to just stand and wait for them to come in range, then Uair or Bair them away again.

Edit: Said Dair instead of Bair. lol

Iwan

Smash Ace
I know that it's easier to get consecutive hits in when Raptor Boost doesn't throw them way up in the air, but I still find it REALLY advantageous even if they are thrown way up in the stratosphere. Falcon's Uair > most peoples' Dairs. So I'm perfectly content to just stand and wait for them to come in range, then Uair or Dair them away again.
Actually KeyKid, that's one thing i've been having trouble adjusting to with Brawl C Falcon. I still like his knee (i know, some don't...i do though :p)...and i still love his bair/uair. However, i have a ton of trouble sometimes trying to hit with his dair. I actually land it as a spike OCCASIONALLY, but other than that i have problems using it effectively. It's trajectory is so different than in melee...

any suggestions? and thanks.

Medic

Smash Cadet
The d-air is a pretty nice move, if not for spiking then for raw damage and knockback. A kill is a kill is a kill, right? If you have them to a point where they can be spiked, and they fly to the side and die, isn't that for all intents and purposes the same thing?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
My bad I meant Bair. lol No I definitely don't use Dair when people are above me because that's not a good idea. lol I really don't use Dair anymore, it just is too hard to hit with. So sad because Melee Dair was near broken. Best spike in the game. Now it's reduced to a crappy version that is only useful against people who are swimming and very occasionally if someone is directly below you and trying to recover.

@ Medic

The problem is not the new trajectories, but rather the lack of usefulness. Like I said it's just WAY too hard to hit with now, and so therefore even though it's still good when it connects it's almost useless since it never does. If someone wants to post some epic Dair rapeage in Brawl I'd love to see it because that would be a great find but honestly there is no Dair rapeage in Brawl. :(

Looper

Smash Journeyman
jonadiaper's reaction to what people are saying is priceless. he's so insecure, my sides are hurting from laughter.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Mann is right for the most part.

nair is pretty bad as an approach option. Doesn't hit like 50% of the cast (the *******), low hitstun, low knockback. Might be a useful thing just to scare approachers once in a while.

Raptor boost is still good, nothing to wow about since it doesn't lead into anything.

Falcon kick is actually useful since the tempo of the game got slowed down so it catches spammers off-guard.

upair is good but can't be spammed due to diminishing. bair is really good.

dair sucks.

ftilt/uptilt/dtilts are solid. Uptilt is like a slightly faster fsmash.

His dsmash had much less range than I expected. Falcon's upsmash is solid. His fsmash is garbage.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
he has surpassed falcon in sexyness. just look at his down taunt. just look at it.

Captain falcon has threads that debate whether he is the manliest man alive. Ike gets threads debating if he is homosexual.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Advancing by air is a bad idea in Brawl now for alot of characters, unlike in MElee, where practically everyone shffls.

Ike is one of those characters in Brawl who can air advance, cuz of his spacing abilities and auto cancelled neutral airs.

Falcon was a huge shffler Melee. That might be why Ike feels like a good replacement.

Right now, I've been trying to redo all of Falcon's gameplay. Playing somewhat defensively, dodging attacks and punishing with pivot grabs, using Falcon kick more, etc...

Medic

Smash Cadet
My bad I meant Bair. lol No I definitely don't use Dair when people are above me because that's not a good idea. lol I really don't use Dair anymore, it just is too hard to hit with. So sad because Melee Dair was near broken. Best spike in the game. Now it's reduced to a crappy version that is only useful against people who are swimming and very occasionally if someone is directly below you and trying to recover.

@ Medic

The problem is not the new trajectories, but rather the lack of usefulness. Like I said it's just WAY too hard to hit with now, and so therefore even though it's still good when it connects it's almost useless since it never does. If someone wants to post some epic Dair rapeage in Brawl I'd love to see it because that would be a great find but honestly there is no Dair rapeage in Brawl. :(
Well, none so far. The game is new, and perhaps one day we'll see some. I get the occasional 'SURPRISE!' kill off it that just shifts momentum wonderfully. There's still hope. ^_^

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
Good for Falcon players to stick with him. I find him hella fun just for his coolness alone. And I even dont have brawl yet :D.

But dont bash Ike for the crappy voice actor NoA gave him :p. I was petrified when I found out that there will be no language switch option and I will have to hear the lame line every once in a while. But still Ike is cool. And so is Falcon :D.

Astinos

Smash Cadet
The only reason people seem to think that Falcon is trash is because they can't play him like they did in melee, and then don't put in enough time to see any other ways they might be able to play him.

He'll never be as good or as fun as melees Falcon, but that doesn't make him bottom tier.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Well, none so far. The game is new, and perhaps one day we'll see some. I get the occasional 'SURPRISE!' kill off it that just shifts momentum wonderfully. There's still hope. ^_^
I am starting to successfully Dair more but only because I am hell-bent on using it. lol I could probably have more success with other moves but I am at least starting to have some success with Dair.

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
I am starting to successfully Dair more but only because I am hell-bent on using it. lol I could probably have more success with other moves but I am at least starting to have some success with Dair.
i've been spacing my dairs to hit on the side so they go horizontally. it's kinda cool cuz they don't expect it to hit because you're not coming from right above them.

and man i've come so close to getting a stomp>knee. but the god**** di just messes it up. have you had any luck comboing anything? i know uair to knee works at around 70%, but only then. its a ridiculously small window.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
i've been spacing my dairs to hit on the side so they go horizontally. it's kinda cool cuz they don't expect it to hit because you're not coming from right above them.

and man i've come so close to getting a stomp>knee. but the god**** di just messes it up. have you had any luck comboing anything? i know uair to knee works at around 70%, but only then. its a ridiculously small window.
I don't even really attempt combos anymore. My entire game with Falcon revolves around predicting my opponent and punishing them.

If you got Dair -> Knee to work though that would be pretty cool. Too bad if you did get it to work it would surely not be consistent enough to use regularly.

Top Bottom