• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you think you love falcon as much as me please read.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
ok guys, today i played brawl for the first time. the first FIRST character i picked was ofcourse, falcon. i was playin my older cousin who has had the game since the 9th and since he had played it first ofcourse he was going to win. here are my thoughts on falcon.
there is no knee anymore.
u-air is still sexy as hell.
nair=junk
dair lag is terrible.
raptor boost is crap.
you know what, people have done this already so ima stop.
BACK TO WHAT I REALLY WANT YOU TO READ.
after about 15 matches with falcon, i quit. he sucks. bad. i played around with fox, metaknight, sheik who also sucked. bad. then it hit me, what about that Ike guy??
so i started to play with him. i won my first match with him. i was like =D. my melee falcon skills somehow were used into my Ike playing. its kinda weird to say this cuz Ike is slow as hell but still, his moves reminded me of falcon somehow. not cuz the animation or anything, cuz theyre far from close. but the feeling. Ike's dair is sexy, his fair is like sexy, bair is quick and sexy, uair is sexy. his smashes are WAY to good. hyphen up smash(i believe it is called) is freakin perfect. so i say this unto you, falcon players. give up. Try out Ike and youll probably see what i mean. if not, stick to your falcon. once i get a wii, and brawl, ill show you that Ike is falcons replacement for any "melee falcon" lovers. i will be known as the falcon slayer. sexy huh. oh and Ikes down taunt is freakin gangster, where he throws his sword to the ground and just stands in a cool pose, its freakin sexxy. peace guys, hope you understand what im tryin to say.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
"Ike's down taunt is freaking gangster"

Yeah.... gangster

Ike is slow and easily punishable.

That doesn't make him not fun, I enjoy playing as Ike myself.. (And his down taunt IS awesome)

But he doesn't match the blend of speed and power that Falcon still brings to the table when played correctly. It takes some dedication to play Falcon in Brawl, but it's so worth it.

If you love playing Ike, go ahead, get good with him and ****, Ike is awesome. But Falcon doesn't suck. ;)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok well first off there's only one Ike that I've found to counter my Falcon and that belongs to Mr. Rang Flash so you're going to have to get pretty darn good with Ike like he is if you even want to beat a decent Falcon. Also no one will call you "Falcon Slayer" because no one plays or seems to care about Falcon anymore besides the small following he has on this board. It's like saying "they call me Pichu slayer" regarding Melee.

Also don't ever tell anyone to give up. What, you think Falcon is so bad that no one should ever play him? I mained Falcon in Melee and I still like Brawl Falcon better than everyone else even with his downgrades. Do I win every match? No. Could I possibly win more matches if I dedicated myself to someone else? Sure. But playing Falcon is what makes Smash interesting for me. Other characters are fun but if Falcon was not in Smash I don't think I would play it that much. And I definitely would drop Smash if I had to play as Ike. I really do not like him at all. When used properly he is a beast but I just don't enjoy his style or moves. But if you like him I hope you have a blast with him. Smash is about fun not winning. That's not to say that winning is not fun but taking it too seriously is bad.

Enjoy your Ike, thanks for your Falcon impressions, and see you around the Smash community.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Give up? You want me to change my really-fun-to-play-as and manly C Falcon for a swordsman that "fights for his friends"?

No chance in hell. Besides, you are wrong if you say that Falcon sucks that bad. Did you land a knee even once?

Ike isn't even as good as you say.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
- The knee is still badass, just not as easy to pull off
- dair lag is non-existant when executing the dair as soon as you leave the ground
- low pct raptor boost chase is good
- up-air rocks
- down throw rocks
- down taunt rocks

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Give up? You want me to change my really-fun-to-play-as and manly C Falcon for a swordsman that "fights for his friends"?

No chance in hell. Besides, you are wrong if you say that Falcon sucks that bad. Did you land a knee even once?

Oh my gosh that opening line made me bust out laughing. As if people didn't think Marth was gay already Nintendo goes and makes Ike say "I fight for my friends" just to have two lol-able Fire Emblem characters. Honestly whenever my friends and I are playing and Ike wins and says that everyone makes fun of whoever won for having used such a lame character. That's not to say anything about Ike's game, but his personality and lines are pretty cheesy in the lame way (unlike Falcon who is cheesy in the awesome way lol).

Now that I got that out of the way, I'll say what I really wanted to say in this reply:

QFT!

theTofuG0d

Smash Cadet
Falcon is still sexy ;) I play both :p

I see what you're saying and I also somewaht agree.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Heh....
I played Doc in Melee. My second was Pichu and my third was Zelda.

Now, I'm going to main Captain and second Ganondorf.
I fear NOTHING.

I think we love Falcon more then you, man.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, Ike does in fact have several attributes that are familiar if you're a Falcon user. I use Falcon as a secondary in Melee against higher tiered competition btw.

Falcon never was about fast attacks. He mainly had several strong attacks with ridiculous hitboxes, and he had great mobility. Ike actually has these qualities. He wields a big sword which hits really hard, and he can move around decently if he's smart with Quick Draw. The main difference is combos don't really exist in Brawl, like the only one Ike really has is N-air to U-tilt at low percents.

I'm glad you Falcon mains may have strategies against Ike, but Ike is definitely a lot better than Falcon...

Plus, FE9 and 10 >>> F-Zero.

Rampage

vx
The knee? Excuse me? The knee is still very much in, you're just bad. after about a day with falcon I could knee as if it was melee. You just have to get a feel for it >_>

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion

Ike is better then what i say since i only played brawl once and was still kickin my cousins butt with him.

- The knee is still badass, just not as easy to pull off
- dair lag is non-existant when executing the dair as soon as you leave the ground
- low pct raptor boost chase is good
- up-air rocks
- down throw rocks
- down taunt rocks
yes he has moves.

I eat Ikes for breakfest.
noob.

uuuh ike is lame and totally not sexy. he is overused and cheap.
he has surpassed falcon in sexyness. just look at his down taunt. just look at it.

The knee? Excuse me? The knee is still very much in, you're just bad. after about a day with falcon I could knee as if it was melee. You just have to get a feel for it >_>
sure buddy. the knee<Ike(dont confuse greater then for less then)

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Ah jona...I knew you would realize it soon enough.... >.>

No Ike for me though :p. But gl with him.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
How are you calling other peoples noobs when you just played brawl for the first time lol

Ike= the most popular main for whatever reason even tho hes slow as balls

i won a buttload of money at a tourney last night, four stocking Ike with my Wario in the final match..

personally id rather play falcon, but i guess your the expert since u just played

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ike is better then what i say since i only played brawl once and was still kickin my cousins butt with him.
That's because Ike is a casual player's dream character. He is made for people who suck at Smash. 90% of Ike's I've seen are easily defeated by baiting and punishing. The other 10% were actually played by people who are good at Smash so Ike was pretty beastly. However he is easy to punish and if not for his ridiculous Usmash hitbox he would be punished after every attack. Besides that his only other good move that is hard to punish is his AAA combo. So enjoy your character as you spam those two moves over and over so as to delay the punishing. Once your cousin learns how to fight Ike after a few matches you'll start losing again I'm sure. Then you'll say "Ike sucks" and go over to the Kirby forum and say "Kirby rocks!" because you just learned how to Kirbycide.

Just because you won with Ike on your first try and sucked with everyone else doesn't mean he's good and everyone else you tried is bad. It means you deal well with cheap characters who are noob friendly. Maybe once you get your skills up in Brawl you'll realize that Falcon isn't that bad at all and he is great when played skillfully. The entire roster is extremely well balanced so there's no reason why you shouldn't be successful with the multiple other characters you tried besides the fact that you seem like you play well on a basic level with cheap characters.

Obviously you really don't love Falcon as much as you say because any true fan of his would stick with him and learn his new Brawl self before resorting to some guy who "fights for his friends." Also Falcon's taunts >>>> Ike's taunts. Ike is lolable and doesn't even compare to the manly beasts that are Falcon and Snake.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I bet your cousin doesn't airdodge/roll/spotdodge. EVER.
EVER.

And he probably jumps facefirst into your Forward Smashes. I wouldn't be surprised.

he has surpassed falcon in sexyness. just look at his down taunt. just look at it.

sure buddy. the knee<Ike (dont confuse greater then for less then)
You must be out of your ****ing mind.

Edit: The post above mine is full of rightiness.

Edit2:
Oh my gosh that opening line made me bust out laughing. As if people didn't think Marth was gay already Nintendo goes and makes Ike say "I fight for my friends" just to have two lol-able Fire Emblem characters. Honestly whenever my friends and I are playing and Ike wins and says that everyone makes fun of whoever won for having used such a lame character. That's not to say anything about Ike's game, but his personality and lines are pretty cheesy in the lame way (unlike Falcon who is cheesy in the awesome way lol).
Indeed. Everytime my bro wins against the computers with Ike I make fun of him. Or at least most of the time. :p

CF=Awesomeness.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Wait... who is Ike?
Is she that new girl character that they added along with Zamus to get, like, more female characters in the game?

That's her right?

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
heres the deal guys. anyone who claims that you should stick with falcon and watnot play me once i get brawl. i will probably beat all of you, since of course ike is the new falcon. and whats up with these people joining like 3 days ago and there gonna come to me saying i dont know what im talkin about. this world these days. people these days. ugh these days. ikes down taunt owns your face. that goes for me too. its just tooooo freaakiinnn sexxxxyyyy. i liked falcons show me ya moves taunt in brawl too. but, its just not as sexy.

Sasurai_no_Hiroshi

Smash Rookie
Jona... I thought you were an awesome Falcon player back when I lurked around the Falcon Melee forums. I may be a nobody right now, but it still hurts me to see that you would go as far as to say Captain Falcon sucks, and for us to go with Ike. I like Ike, but if you're going to advertise him like that, I may as well just give up on Ike.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
dont get me wrong i love the MELEE falcon, its just that the BRAWL falcon has absolutely nothing going for him. hes slow, laggy, basically ineffective. they tried to fix something that wasnt broken. and those are the consequences. i tried to play as him but he has no feeling what so-ever. like when i used to play melee i could hop around dash dance wash dash and basically know exactly what im doing with falcon while lookin awesome. but now hes just, not good. so not good to the point that he sucks. imagine a year of experience with falcon down the drain and with 4 hours of Ike i can beat people that have had the game for like 2 and a half weeks. its just the smart thing to do.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Are you still trying to make us switch over to Ike? Get out. If you find a gay swordsman so sexy then stick to his boards. We don't need you here.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's because Ike is a casual player's dream character. He is made for people who suck at Smash. 90% of Ike's I've seen are easily defeated by baiting and punishing. The other 10% were actually played by people who are good at Smash so Ike was pretty beastly. However he is easy to punish and if not for his ridiculous Usmash hitbox he would be punished after every attack. Besides that his only other good move that is hard to punish is his AAA combo. So enjoy your character as you spam those two moves over and over so as to delay the punishing. Once your cousin learns how to fight Ike after a few matches you'll start losing again I'm sure. Then you'll say "Ike sucks" and go over to the Kirby forum and say "Kirby rocks!" because you just learned how to Kirbycide.

Just because you won with Ike on your first try and sucked with everyone else doesn't mean he's good and everyone else you tried is bad. It means you deal well with cheap characters who are noob friendly. Maybe once you get your skills up in Brawl you'll realize that Falcon isn't that bad at all and he is great when played skillfully. The entire roster is extremely well balanced so there's no reason why you shouldn't be successful with the multiple other characters you tried besides the fact that you seem like you play well on a basic level with cheap characters.

Obviously you really don't love Falcon as much as you say because any true fan of his would stick with him and learn his new Brawl self before resorting to some guy who "fights for his friends." Also Falcon's taunts >>>> Ike's taunts. Ike is lolable and doesn't even compare to the manly beasts that are Falcon and Snake.
I have to completely disagree here. Ike by far is only n00b friendly in free for alls. Anyhow, Azen for example uses Ike and says he's high tier material. M2K also says Ike is really good. Most professionals agree that Ike is definitely a very good character. It's not even arguable at this point, Ike is definitely really good because he outranges most people, his attacks have great shield stun making him hard to punish if he spaces well, he's faster than people give him credit for, and even his super FAST attacks have ridiculous KO power. His reasonably fast attacks include his Jab, his U-tilt, his B-air, his N-air, and his Back air, and they all KO very very effectively.

Also, Ike is clearly homosexual in FE10. Can your male protagonist willingly say they are homosexual? I hardly think any other guy has the guts to do so. But Ike on the other hand, it's no big deal to him. He doesn't give a **** about preconceived values on one's sexuality. That kind of attitude is cool.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
heres the deal guys. anyone who claims that you should stick with falcon and watnot play me once i get brawl. i will probably beat all of you, since of course ike is the new falcon. and whats up with these people joining like 3 days ago and there gonna come to me saying i dont know what im talkin about. this world these days. people these days. ugh these days. ikes down taunt owns your face. that goes for me too. its just tooooo freaakiinnn sexxxxyyyy. i liked falcons show me ya moves taunt in brawl too. but, its just not as sexy.
First off sticking with Falcon isn't all about wins vs. losses even though you seem to be obsessed with the fact that winning = fun. Falcon is fun to play whether you win or lose. Watch out for this assumption but I think you're probably just one of those kids who says "I only play high tier characters because those are the only fun ones." Now even though you play as Ike now who is clearly not top tier and I would say probably in the lower half of the roster, you talk about him so highly that you seem convinced he is top tier. Also all the characters you sucked as aren't really what I'd call terrible. The point is that Smash is fun for a lot of people whether they win every match or lose every match. So saying that everyone should give up on Falcon because they'll lose is both illogical and idiotic.

Also who are you to judge someone's intelligence based upon how recently they joined these forums? You don't know ANYTHING about any of these people, and to judge their words' merit based on post count or join date is once again both illogical and idiotic. If anything you look like the noob, not them. We heard what you had to say, so now that you're done why don't you take a hike and orgasm about Ike's gay taunts and cheesy lines on the Ike board (maybe you didn't know there was an Ike board but guess what there is).

/thread.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I have to completely disagree here. Ike by far is only n00b friendly in free for alls. Anyhow, Azen for example uses Ike and says he's high tier material. M2K also says Ike is really good. Most professionals agree that Ike is definitely a very good character. It's not even arguable at this point, Ike is definitely really good because he outranges most people, his attacks have great shield stun making him hard to punish if he spaces well, he's faster than people give him credit for, and even his super FAST attacks have ridiculous KO power. His reasonably fast attacks include his Jab, his U-tilt, his B-air, his N-air, and his Back air, and they all KO very very effectively.

Also, Ike is clearly homosexual in FE10. Can your male protagonist willingly say they are homosexual? I hardly think any other guy has the guts to do so. But Ike on the other hand, it's no big deal to him. He doesn't give a **** about preconceived values on one's sexuality. That kind of attitude is cool.
I agree he is good now but in the end after the game has been out for a while I think people will have figured him out to the point that he is generally ineffective. No one is saying he can't kill, because he certainly can. Pros with him are also very good at using him both quickly and powerfully which is deadly (reminds me of someone else who boasts (more) speed, (comparable) power, and (I think more) weight (though not as much range granted). Hmmmmm... who could that be?). Ike certainly has good pros but he has a lot of cons as well such as bad recovery, edgehog-ibility, enormous starting and cooldown lag, no projectiles, and a general lack of mobility. Ike thrives on people walking into his ridiculously powered but also very laggy attacks, and once people start getting used to playing against him (he may be fairly popular but he is still a newcomer so everyone is starting fresh on ways to combat him) no one will walk into his moves anymore and will know how to dodge each of his moves effectively.

Oh and I almost forgot. I'm all for a "who cares about what others think I'll be who I am" attitude, but that doesn't mean Ike's lines are any less cheesy or lame. It's like calling Elton John a badass because he is proud of who he is. Sure it's gutsy for him to stand up for who he is but that doesn't mean what he does is necessarily badass.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike's recovery is good. What are you talking about? Because he's fairly heavy, he doesn't usually get send far enough for his short ranged recovery to hurt him. His Up-B Aether makes returning to the stage easy as long as he can use it.

Ike's lag is only bad if you use the wrong attacks, and he isn't nearly as punishable as you may think. For one, he's going to be spacing attacks from as far as possible and his attacks have decent shield stun. There are attacks like his Jab and N-air which boast good overall speed. His U-tilt is also decently fast for its range and power. His B-air is also amazingly fast, and his U-air's landing lag isn't horrible.

No projectiles is indeed one of his main weaknesses. It mainly matters against Snake really.

His mobility is also decent. You just need to be really smart with Quick Draw, his Forward B. That can move him around quickly, and the lag is low if you miss. Furthermore, the charge stance can be held indefinitely. Win.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ike's recovery is not good. Even the slightest impediment of his original return path will usually put his UpB out of range and then once you know he has to SideB all you have to do is jump in front of it and he'll get stopped and fall. I don't know how many times I've Running A into RAR-ed Ike when he's near the edge and then edgeguarded him quite easily from there. He by far has the most gimpable recovery in the game from what I've seen. The key phrase of yours that proves my point is when you said "Ike's UpB makes returning to the stage easy as long as he can use it." He's so easily knocked out of range that it's usually useless. However I will admit that spamming edgegrab -> drop then instantly UpB is a very annoying tactic. Luckily it can be edgehogged or interrupted by a Falcon Uair with the right timing.

Ike's shield stun is good I'll give you that. Perfect shielding ***** him to no end though (except on the AAA combo which I already said is a great move). His fast aerials are pretty good but his jumps are so bad that they aren't that useable for airchasing. Counter is a nice option you haven't mentioned because it really adds a nice defense when people are trying to juggle him. Spamming UpB against jugglers also works I suppose. lol His Utilt is nice because it hits on both sides but I'm just guessing that it might miss short characters (is that true? I honestly don't know so fill me in).

His SideB isn't as great as you make it out to be. Wolf and Falco can **** him with their lasers when you try to use it from any distance at all, and even though it can be a quick move it doesn't go far enough unless you charge it for a long enough time to get hit by a laser. Also Falcon Kick is a good counter to it. Being able to charge up indefinitely works well if your opponent doesn't know its max range, but once they learn that through experience they can bait you into using it, spot dodge just behind its finishing point, and then punish you. If the charge was cancelable I would really think it was great but I've seen many Ike users start to use it and then get stuck in it.

Once again don't interpret me as saying that Ike sucks. I just don't think he's as good as people think he is.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
uuuh ike is lame and totally not sexy. he is overused and cheap.
Thank you for this. Ike is the n00best character in the game.

Now that I got that out of the way, I'll say what I really wanted to say in this reply:

QFT!
It is lame when he says that taunt, but it's sweet when he says "You'll get no sympathy from me!"

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Know whats funny, is that i actually dropped Ike as one of my dudes, for Captain ****ing Falcon, heh.
I'm curious, what inspired you to do that? I always hear people talk about switching from Falcon to "insert character here" for "insert reason here" but I don't hear many people say the opposite. Also now that you're playing as Falcon what do you think of him?

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Ike is good.
Falcon is good if you're smart.

Ike's movesets>Falcon's movesets. But considering how ****ing ridiculous spot dodge/airdodge is, its all about predicting the moves the opponent is going to do. If a Falcon player knows that an Ike is going to nair->jab all he has to do is roll back and >B. If the falcon player knows Ike is going to RAR, then he'll spotdodge->dthrow->upair

Falcon DOES have a better recovery than Ike. That is a fact. Falcon also can handle projectile campers better than Ike. Ike however, does well against the commonly used characters atm (marth, toon, wolf, etc.) than C.Falcon.

Mann

Smash Ace
People need to stop with *insert character here* is/will/can/be/should/etc. *insert praise here.*

The reasons why Ike has more of an advantage over Falcon when it comes to fighting others:

- Range
- Knock Back
- Better approach
- Damage
- All moves have an easier time knocking people out
- Super Armor or whatever on at least 2 moves.
- His Jab to slash, or whatever, has more priority
- 2 spikes I believe.
- His down throw leads into some moves.

In comparison to Falcon, his major and most noticeable disadvantage is that he's heavy and has laggy moves. But his jabs make that up after landing, or after any move.

I like Falcon's Uair though. Much better.

Z-Magic

Smash Rookie

well said man!!! Ike is way to noob friendly because the first time I used him I didn't have to try and still won. Ike is the tilt monster because Ike's tilts=death. but C Falcon Is for the more advanced players who can use him skillfully.And yes Captain Falcons taunts>>>>Ike's Taunts.Because Come'on,Show me your moves and that fire thing are way better than, prepare yourself, rarg!!!, and sword in the ground.

P.S. the new dance the kids are talking about, Punch that Captain Falcon!!! :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwT68nqY14

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
So so far like two people posted something besides flamboyant fanboyism.

Ike is probably one of the least n00b friendly. Think about it. You whiff a tilt, you get punished. You whiff a smash, you get punished big time. You whiff any aerial besides a Nair and you get punished. And think about how ****ing easy it is to spotdodge his moves.

The only thing that makes him semi-easy to use is his AAA combo. But without his AAA combo, he would be unusable.

Top Bottom