• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to remove 20 characters from Ultimate, who would they be?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
To spite everybody who takes any character for granted, the original 12 all get the boot. Add to that list Peach, Bowser, Marth, Pit, Villager, Bayonetta, Dr. Mario, and Wario.

Yes, I know I'm crazy, but it's about appreciating every character instead of only caring about the ones not guaranteed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'll go random number generator too

:ultmario::ultlink::ultridley::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultfalcon::ultrichter::ultlucina::ultfalco::ultshulk::ultkingdedede::ultpit::ultvillager::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultbowserjr::ulttoonlink::ultluigi:

...okay ouCH THREE OF MY FAVES ARE AXED ;_;

better make that five since I occasionally use Dedede and Villager

Last edited:

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
:ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters: - First to be cut.

:ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultyounglink: - Clones that I didn't think twice about cutting.

:ultcloud::ultbayonetta: :ultrob:- Personal bias.

:ultcorrin::ultmarth::ultchrom: - Thinning the heard of FE characters and clones. These are all tough to me since I really like the FE characters. Roy stays over Chrom because of style. It was 50/50 between Robin and Corrin, but I kept the character I think is more unique. Marth might have been the toughest to put on here because he is such a legacy character, but I love having Lucina and think she adequately covers for him in this spot.

:ultgreninja::ultpichu::ultlucario: - Unnecessary Pokemon reps.

:ultlucas::ultfalco: - Clones I struggled with adding to this list. Someone needs to fill me in about some of the love for Lucas. I'm just very unaware of how different he is from Ness and the reaction to him not being in Smash 4 initially.

Here is where I truly struggle. Choice 1: Break up :ultpokemontrainer: by cutting Ivysaur and Charizard. Choice 2: Break some hearts with :ultryu::ultdarksamus: as my final two cuts. I'm leaning towards the break up of the Pokemon Trainer.

D

Deleted member

:ultbayonetta::ultpacman::ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja::ultcloud::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultlucina::ultlittlemac::ultrob::ultmiifighters::ultvillager::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultinkling::ultdarkpit::ultpichu::ultlucario::ulticeclimbers:

And while we are at it, lets remove Chrom and add Celica she shoudve been added in the first place

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
:ultmarth::ultdarkpit::ultyounglink::ultdoc::ultcloud::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ulttoonlink::ultsamus:
That was as far as I got, going completely off of personal opinion, however, I did try to piss the fewest people off (mostly), so add :ultrobin:ultroy::ultchrom: to the list for the sake of FE thinning, (I like Corrin, like a lot), and :ultridley::ultpokemontrainer::ultsheik::ultwario::ultolimar::ultmegaman: because I'm a terrible person
Let's also add a list of charecters I'll "protect" that other people are axing shall we?
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultduckhunt::ultsonic::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultgnw::ultdarksamus::ultjigglypuff::ultdaisy:

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
:ultbayonetta: Doesn't belong in smash (at least not yet), she's very, very far from being a videogame icon either and lowered the criteria bar too much. I would give her the boot ASAP if given the chance.
:ultroy: Least popular lord in the series and isn't really liked in the FE community or important to the franchise, would easily replace him with Hector.
:ultchrom: Pains me to say this because I personally like Chrom and he's really popular, but Lucina and Robin represent awakening perfectly already and I would like to see Azura instead. At least he has a reason to be in, unlike Roy.
:ultdoc: He's just Mario, why isn't this an outfit instead?
:ultpichu: He's cute but that's pretty much all he has going for him.
:ultdarkpit: I loved Uprising but Dank Pit is not an all-star yet.
:ultrichter: Clone or not, his inclusion kind of diminishes the importance of third party characters. same reason I don't want more Sanic/Megaman characters.
:ultjigglypuff: She should've been gone already long time ago, stop coming back. Too many Gen 1 pokemon.
:ultyounglink: I don't mind him but Toon Link is so much more important and cuter.
:ultmiifighters: Who gives a damn about miis, no, really?
:ultdaisy: F*** Daisy

I won't pick 20, I'll only remove the unnecesary ones.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly this decision took me absolutely no time at all. I opened the icons and just started clicking away at all the characters who are just novelty to me, and whom I consider less necessary to Nintendo's overall success.
I could probably cut another 5-10 without too much crying.
CUTS: :ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultyounglink::ultfalco::ulttoonlink::ultrichter::ultsheik::ultbayonetta::ultdoc::ultjigglypuff::ultsnake::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultness::ultgreninja:

I actually switched in Greninja and Wolf for Snake and Wolf. I could cut Snake and Wolf as well, but I do prefer them if I only need to cut 20.
It is funny, because both Snake and Wolf took me a long time to accept. Primarily Snake, due to my own relationship with Nintendo.

EDIT: Just to show it, I could cut these characters as well, and it would not mean much to me. Well, outside of what any character means for me. Missed gameplay and visuals, less dynamic of a gaming concept overall.
More Cuts: :ultsnake::ultike::ultfalcon::ultwolf::ultlucario:

I'm brutal.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I feel like this shouldn't be too hard lol

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultdoc::ultjigglypuff::ultdarksamus::ultryu::ultroy::ultrob::ultdarkpit::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultness::ultmiifighters::ultlucina::ultsheik::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzss:

So basically I just cut all the echoes, as I feel they add the least to the overall game as is. I also cut all of the characters that are just different versions of a character already on the roster. In Roy's case I cut him instead of Chrom because I just like Chrom more.

Same with Ness instead of Lucas. They feel similar enough that it would be the least impactful to have one of them removed, compared to most other characters since the other would still be around. I just prefer Lucas myself (this may be heresy but whatever).

I cut Jiggly because she just isn't that important or honestly that interesting.

I also cut the mii fighters (who I chose to include as a single fighter) because again they just aren't very interesting, compared to other characters. The avatar concept is neat, but I prefer actual characters with personality and context myself.

Sheik and Zero Suit were both cut because again the are just versions of a character already on the roster. However in their cases they could just be included back into the movesets of Zelda and Samus respectively.

R.O.B is honestly just my bias. He may be important historically, but I don't find him interesting or fun to play as. And outside of Subspace he has no personality.

I cut Wolf because I was running low on chaff and tbh if we need to cut characters Star Fox is probably one of the more over repped series. And yes, even though their movesets are heavily decloned at this point, their specials at their base still feel a little like versions of each other.

Finally I pared down on third parties. Personally I feel like there are getting to be too many at this point. So I cut Cloud, Bayo, Ryu, and Snake. I'd prefer a FF rep more closely related to Nintendo than Cloud. Bayo is just too new and not iconic enough imo (also everyone hates her competitively). Ryu is probably the one that could most likely stay, but I didn't feel he fit as well as Sonic, Pacman, Simon, or Megaman. Same with Snake tbh.

If I had to continue I'd likely go with :ultfalco::ultchrom::ultrosalina:

Last edited:

Chumble Spuzz

Smash Rookie
:ultbayonetta: because she's overpowered
:ultcloud:because I hate him
:ultgreninja:because we have Squirtle
:ultpikachu:because f*** you I like pichu more
:ultmarth:because he is the worst character in Smash and we have lucina
:ultdaisy:because I am still salty about waluigi
:ultdarkpit:because he is just an edgy recolor
:ultrosalina:because she pisses me off
:ultroy:because my boy drives a clown car
:ultchrom:because I don't care
:ultshulk:because I hate xenoblade with a passion
:ultsheik:because I wanna see zero's reaction
:ultsonic:because he is a garbage character
:ultfox:because falco is better
:ultrichter:because we only need Simon
:ultyounglink:because teen lonk and big lonk are enough for me
:ultlucario:because furries
:ultmario:for shock value
:ultjigglypuff:because I said so

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This thread has so few list Pokemon Trainer as part of the 1/3 of the roster to be cut.
Yet virtually no one on any forum seemed to support the return of the trainer or the other Pokemon.

What the hell?

smnashysm1

Smash Rookie
:ultdaisy: weird side character made for the sake of filler
:ultbowserjr: same as daisy
:ultcorrin: nobody
:ultbayonetta: weird ass nobody
:ultinkling: new and weird
:ultgreninja: dumb pokemon, how about some starters everybody loved over the years? it's like adding furbait lucaro
:ultdoc: spinoff gimmick with like one game, a game where you don't even play as him
:ultrob: a literal robot with no game
:ultrosalina: come on, who even are these people
:ultpit: appeared in literally one game two decades ago
:ultdarkpit: a filler clone
:ultpalutena: WHO
:ultmiifighters: dumb, feels like a gimmick
:ultwiifittrainer: dumb, feels like a gimmick
:ultpichu: nowhere NEAR as iconic as pikachu, raichu would have been more appropriate, also he's a baby and can't even compete, wtf? how about add some real pokemon that everyone knows? in fact, why not drop :ultpokemontrainer: and let you play as the final evo of each of the gen1 starters?

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
  • :ultwiifittrainer: - I enjoy every Smash character ever included (because they're unique), but this is by far the worst one
  • :ultlucario: - He stole Mewtwo's spot in Brawl...I'm still bitter about it
  • :ultjigglypuff: - Her relevance dried up in 2000
  • :ultlucas: - Half of us haven't even played this game and probably won't ever be able to
  • :ultryu: - I never felt like he belonged in the first place
  • :ultsnake: - As cool as he is, he's really just a favor character (of which there are better choices)
  • :ultfalco: - Personally, I don't prefer the air
  • :ultdoc: - Alt. costume this shiz
  • :ultroy: - See Dr. Mario
  • :ultlucina: - See Dr. Mario
  • :ultdarkpit: - See Dr. Mario
  • :ultpichu: - See Dr. Mario
  • :ultyounglink: - We can do better than this for Zelda reps
  • :ultpokemontrainer: - Unique concept, but we really only want Charizard
  • :ultrosalina: - I always thought this was an odd choice (if we really want more female reps, we've got better choices)
  • :ultbrawler: - TRADE
  • :ultswordfighter: - FOR
  • :ultgunner: - ISAAC
  • :ultbayonetta: - I'm ok eating my Smash soup without a mouthful of sexy witch hair, thank you very much
  • :ultrichter: - Who?

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
1-3. :ultmiifighters: - Bleh, I don't like their design and they aren't actual characters to me. I feel they are the very lackluster avatars that I opposed joining the roster. They can't even be used Online, they are a waste!!!

4. :ultyounglink: - You're back? Why? Do we really need Link, Link Younger, and Link If He Was A Saturday Cartoon? No, not really. I'd rather see LoZ characters that aren't Link and Zelda.

5. :ultdoc:- Mario cosplaying as a Doctor is very bleh. I don't care much for Lip, but I'd rather her represent puzzle games than Mario getting creative for Peach in the bedroom.

6. :ultbayonetta: - Still think she didn't win the ballot but was the one picked out of the top 100 or so. Never had heard of her and I feel 3rd parties should be more well known and huge... not some recent IP with some popularity. Hearing she is the Meta Knight of Smash 4 just pushed her over the edge for me.

7. :ultdarkpit: - A simple recolor became a character. I support Shadow overall, but at least he has more obvious differences than Dark Pit to Pit. And let's be honest, Kid Icarus isn't that huge of a series. And if we really did get that 3rd rep, wouldn't Hades, Medusa, or Viridi be more exciting than recolored Pit? Yes they would be and why I would axe him.

8. :ultzss: - Samus is best known for being a rather androgynous bounty hunter in a harsh environment. Not sure we really need fan service Samus running about especially with Metroid getting Dark Samus and Ridley now as well.

9. :ultjigglypuff: - She got lucky back in 64. The fact that most people fall back on the Original 12 argument to defend her only showcases she loss pretty much all her ground. I like her, but she really isn't a Charizard, Mewtwo, or Meowth that are still huge Pokemon.

10. :ultlucina: - Fire Emblem has very beautiful casts, blue haired swordsmen are however mostly what we get in Smash leading to rather disappointing rosters. Her defining feature being female instead of male version of Marth leads me to axe her. She feels like a cheap genderbend.

11. :ultrob: - I feel it's the biggest miss of a character to date. I played a lot of Brawl and almost never saw ROB. I feel the character failed to deliver for most.

12. :ultdaisy: - She was filler for Mario Sports & Parties, and she honestly feels like filler here as well. I wasn't rooting for her to get in. She got in, I'm fine with her. But if we're cutting people... Daisy really isn't selling me as worthy.

13. :ultlucas: - One of the series that I almost heard nothing about and that has already finished for good. I think just Ness covers the series good enough unless we get someone more exciting both visually and move set wise to be honest. Two little boys who do mostly the same stuff for a finished, small series feels a bit redundant.

14. :ultroy: - Well I ended up cutting the red haired lord we have. But let's be honest, he was another Jigglypuff overall. He has popularity and presence cause of Smash while getting in mostly cause he was a easy addition. This would funny enough make Chrom a "unique" semi-clone of Marth with Ike's Up B instead of a straight up Echo.

15. :ultpichu: - While I like the idea of every generation repped, I honestly am not the biggest fan of the babies. Pichu doesn't add much to Smash the same way it didn't add much for Pokemon. (Breeding is one thing, weak baby Pokemon is another)

16. :ulttoonlink: - I'd rather have unique characters over alternate versions of existing people. He's cute though.

17. :ultsheik: - Same as above. Except replace cute with a good move set.

18. :ultsnake: - I don't really see him as big as other 3rd parties.

19. :ivysaur: & 20. :squirtle: - Generation 1 would be very well represent with Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Charizard. While I love Ivysaur and Squirtle, I feel their removal helps leave room for future Pokemon or filling out past Gens that got skipped. (like Gen 3)

This would place the big franchises at Mario with 6, LoZ with 3, Pokemon with 5, and Fire Emblem at 5. LoZ would get filled in with some unique characters like Impa, Tingle, or Skull Kid to help catch them up.

Overall I cut 3 Echoes, 6 Clones, and 11 Original Move Sets. This may sound off, but it would free up more time for some exciting additions for the roster as more time would be saved in the long run. Like LoZ could get a unique Skull Kid or Fire Emblem could score a more interesting addition than another Marth.

Also shame on all these nostalgic Pokemon based cuts! Gen 1 isn't the only gen and shouldn't be treated as such. With this mindset, no series should ever get anything outside their first game. :I

:4wiifitm:(:ultwiifittrainer: can stay...but the male has to go)
Don't be jelly of his body! I play him just cause insecure guys freak out over him. :p

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
You're working at Sora Ltd., designing the next Smash Game alongside Sakurai. He tells you that you get to design the roster, but before you add any newcomers you must remove 20 fighters from the current roster first. So who would you remove?
Oh, that's the context? Well that makes making this list easier.

:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:: Yeetus Fajitas your Competitive Scene has been deletus.
:ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom:: Made into Alt. Forms for Marth. If I'm not allowed to do this, or if it doesn't count as a cut, then cut :ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob: instead.
:ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:: Gotta make room for all the Zelda reps I'mma put in somehow.
:ultbayonetta:: Bayo, you're cute, but the only game I played of yours was a dreadful experience, and you're moveset in Smash just doesn't gel with me tbh.
:ultbowserjr:: The position of "Side-B off the ****ing cliff as a joke" has already been taken by :ultwario:, :ultyoshi: and in some of the more unfortunate cases, :ultdarkpit:.
:ultcorrin:: He was only in as an advertisement. Now that his game is out, we don't need him. Besides, I have a better Fates rep in mind...
:ultdoc:: I would prefer it if Mario just had Dr. Mario's Down-B and let Dr. Mario be an alt. costume.
:ultgreninja:: Chesnaught and Delphox aren't worth not meeting the quota.
:ultkrool:: lol nah fam
:ultlittlemac:: tbh I never liked this character to begin with.
:ultlucas:: get localized or get the **** out. also, i'm giving your Up-B to Ness lol
:ultolimar:: Thanksgiving is cancelled, by the way. Get rekt.
:ultpichu:: He's cuter than Pikachu, sure, but "cute" doesn't belong in my Smash. It belongs on my bed as a plushy to cuddle with.
:ultryu:: Don't feel too bad about this one. We'll replace him with a Street Fighter rep whose attacks can actually reach opponents in Smash... NO, NOT DHALSIM GET OUT-- *knocks over the office plant trying to shoo away the bad takes brigade*
:ultsheik:: Ocarina of Time is overrated LOL
:ultrichter:: Die, monster! You don't belong in this roster!

and most importantly...

:ultpokemontrainer:: Charizard will go back to being a standalone character. Squirtle and Ivysaur are to be replaced with Venusaur and Blastoise.

EDIT:
"cute" doesn't belong in my Smash. It belongs on my bed as a plushy to cuddle with.
>is happy about Isabelle getting in

*wipes the egg off of my face*

Last edited:

Chumble Spuzz

Smash Rookie
Oh, that's the context? Well that makes making this list easier.

:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:: Yeetus Fajitas your Competitive Scene has been deletus.
:ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom:: Made into Alt. Forms for Marth. If I'm not allowed to do this, or if it doesn't count as a cut, then cut :ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob: instead.
:ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:: Gotta make room for all the Zelda reps I'mma put in somehow.
:ultbayonetta:: Bayo, you're cute, but the only game I played of yours was a dreadful experience, and you're moveset in Smash just doesn't gel with me tbh.
:ultbowserjr:: The position of "Side-B off the ****ing cliff as a joke" has already been taken by :ultwario:, :ultyoshi: and in some of the more unfortunate cases, :ultdarkpit:.
:ultcorrin:: He was only in as an advertisement. Now that his game is out, we don't need him. Besides, I have a better Fates rep in mind...
:ultdoc:: I would prefer it if Mario just had Dr. Mario's Down-B and let Dr. Mario be an alt. costume.
:ultgreninja:: Chesnaught and Delphox aren't worth not meeting the quota.
:ultkrool:: lol nah fam
:ultlittlemac:: tbh I never liked this character to begin with.
:ultlucas:: get localized or get the **** out. also, i'm giving your Up-B to Ness lol
:ultolimar:: Thanksgiving is cancelled, by the way. Get rekt.
:ultpichu:: He's cuter than Pikachu, sure, but "cute" doesn't belong in my Smash. It belongs on my bed as a plushy to cuddle with.
:ultryu:: Don't feel too bad about this one. We'll replace him with a Street Fighter rep whose attacks can actually reach opponents in Smash... NO, NOT DHALSIM GET OUT-- *knocks over the office plant trying to shoo away the bad takes brigade*
:ultsheik:: Ocarina of Time is overrated LOL
:ultrichter:: Die, monster! You don't belong in this roster!

and most importantly...

:ultpokemontrainer:: Charizard will go back to being a standalone character. Squirtle and Ivysaur are to be replaced with Venusaur and Blastoise.
I was perfectly happy until "lol nah fam"

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
First off, the easy cuts
:ultcloud: - The only character who's inclusion in Smash is questionable
:ultdaisy: - Good showcase for the echo concept, but doesn't bring much to the table
:ultdoc: - Why Sakurai
:ultrichter: - Poor Richter plays second fiddle to our boy Alucard
:ultlucina: - Literal cosplayer
:ultpacman: - Fanservice for the Namco Bandai devs
:ultdarkpit: - Alph as a character makes sense before him
:ultyounglink: - Three links are a little excessive
:ultmiifighters: - Mii fighters are
:ultmiifighters: - bland and uninteresting and
:ultmiifighters: - have uninspired movesets
:ultchrom: - Robin is enough for Awakening

Getting a little harder
:ultcorrin: - Unique moveset and playstyle, but Fates wasn't all that iconic honestly
:ultsnake: - If I become friends with Sakurai can I get my character in Smash too?
:ultpichu: - The meme can't live forever I suppose
:ultwiifittrainer: - Novel concept but I'm taking out my hatred of 2007-2016 Nintendo on her

The reluctant cuts
:ultlittlemac: - Technically fine, but I just don't feel like he's all that interesting
:ultfalco: - If one of the Star Fox trio has to go, it has to be Falco. Wolf is too unique to justify cutting.
:ultryu: - This one stings because he's not a bad character at all, but it's him or characters I care about
:ultpalutena: - Replace her with Medusa

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
1.:ultdarkpit: Although he’s pretty funny, he’d be the first to get cut

2.:ultlucina: Way too many Marth clones and she’s the most shameless

3.:ultlucario: I know many people love Lucario, but I think his time has past.

4.:ultsheik: When was she relevant? I hate to get rid of Sheik but she doesn’t have original 12 plot armor

5-7.:ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters: I hate to see them go, but they’re kinda forgettable

8.:ulttoonlink: jeez this heart wrenching. I just don’t really like Toon Link much and young Link is just more Iconic I think

9.:ultdoc: Doctor Mario is kinda lame. I love him but he’s a better costume in my eyes.

10.:ultdaisy: I really don’t wanna get rid of Daisy, but since she’s got no moves of her own I’d have to cut her out or change her

11.:ultdarksamus: same as Daisy

12.:ultpichu: Gosh we’re really getting to the hard ones now. Pichu because it’s not really relavent and it’s a joke character

13.:ultbayonetta: I think I’m gonna cry. Bayo is one of the best additions since she’s basically a Nintendo character now, but I don’t think anyone would miss her

14.:ultolimar: This hurts. Oilman isn’t an interesting character and pikmin has kinda been going down hill. At least that’s what I’ve heard

15.:ultshulk: Shulk is super popular, but he’s been in one game, maybe a different Xenoblade protagonist could replace him but man does it hurt to get rid of him

16.:ultcloud: I’m sorry. It’d probably be a copyright thing for Cloud. I don’t wanna go through Square’s shinanigans

17.:ultsnake: I’ve cried all my tears, I’ve run dry. Konami might be okay with it, but they might change again and it’d be a long legal process. I hate to do it but it’s gotta happen.

18.:ultrichter: Richter can be a costume. He’s still here, but not really. Man this tough

19.:ultzss: It’s another Samus. I’m trying to not have two of the same character.

20.:ultinkling: By the time he next smash is out, Splatoon would be irrelevant. That’s all I got

Man that was heart breaking. I feel like a shell of what I once was.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Don't be jelly of his body! I play him just cause insecure guys freak out over him. :p
Good thing I’m not insecure about him...I just don’t like his soulless voice and body compared to the soulful voice and somewhat more human body of the female WFT (its like how Male Robin/Villager and Female Corrin/Inkling are the better versions of the same character)

Chumble Spuzz

Smash Rookie
Good thing I’m not insecure about him...I just don’t like his soulless voice and body compared to the soulful voice and somewhat more human body of the female WFT (its like how Male Robin/Villager and Female Corrin/Inkling are the better versions of the same character)
I'm sorry but :4villagerf: is the only acceptable Villager skin

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Why do we have to CUT characters? And THIS MANY, no less? Do people really want less content?

....I guess if I HAD to choose, my selection would be: :ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdarksamus: :ultrichter::ultchrom::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters: :ultbayonetta::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultsheik::ultdaisy: :ultdoc::ultryu::ultroy::ultridley::ultdiddy:
Mostly who I see as the most expendable, with the last few being some I just don't care too much about honestly, but I don't want to cut anybody. The only one I'd truly cut would be Cloud because he has no business in Smash but I'd replace him for Terra or another Nintendo-console Final Fantasy rep in a heartbeat, but all the others kinda hurt at least a little to put in this list. I also tried not to cut entire series, other than 3rd party ones that I personally just care the least about.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultlucina::ultrichter::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarksamus::ultdoc::ultmiifighters:
On the principle that they bring very little to the table that would deem them worthy of anything other than a costume. I considered removing Young Link but not Toon, but I got rid of most of the "clone" fighters except for a select few, so for consistency's sake I axed him. Also Miis are a dumb gimmick.

:ulticeclimbers::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt:
I don't feel like these characters are really relevant enough to deserve a playable slot. Also Ice Climbers get double removed because I'm still salty about getting chaingrabbed in Brawl.

:ultroy::ultcorrin::ultrosalina::ultpalutena:
Thinning the herd on series that have sufficient representation in my opinion. Yes I left Bowser Jr, yes I got rid of 3 Fire Emblem characters, yes I'm biased. FE is left with Marth, Robin, Chrom, and Ike, which I think covers a sufficient number of playstyles and the franchise as a whole.

:ultsonic::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:
I feel like they probably deserve to be in the game, but I hate fighting them so they can take a hike.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I only wanted to come in here to say that I had a similar thread idea shortly after Smash 4 released on 3DS, and it was closed immediately due to being "a flame war waiting to happen". (Which was hilarious.)

I'm glad to see the Smashboards staff got their **** together since then.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Only 20? Shouldn't be too hard.

First, 3rd Parties: :ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Guests are guests, they come and go. Some I'd miss, but 20 is 20. The only 3rd Party character that would be kept is Sonic, and for obvious reasons. I know that 'If Sonic stays, than so should Bayonetta', but she is a balancing nightmare, and would be cut for the betterment of the game's health.

Second, 'Echo' fighters, clones, and semi-clones: :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit: + :ultdoc::ultpichu: + :ultroy::ulttoonlink:
These fighters don't add much in comparison to others. The 'Echo' fighters offer little to nothing, as they are simply clones with near identical statistics. The best they have that differentiates them are their animations and maybe a move or Final Smash. The clones have statistical differences, but are still almost entirely the same as their originals. The semi-clones were picked because they were still too similar to an existing fighter, despite not being considered a 'full' clone.

Lastly, the 'low priority' crowd: :ultcorrin::ultpalutena::ultmiifighters:
These last few fighters don't fit into a 'cutting floor' category, rather, they are characters that I would not prioritize during development, and would likely get cut. Corrin and Palutena were 'flavor of the month' with Fates and Uprising. However, those games have come and gone, and so they'd be marked as low priority to make room for newcomers. Miis as a whole would be marked as low priority due to the whole customization gimmick being difficult to balance.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm sorry but :4villagerf: is the only acceptable Villager skin
I want to sleep at night
:ultcorrin::ultpalutena::ultmiifighters:
These last few fighters don't fit into a 'cutting floor' category, rather, they are characters that I would not prioritize during development, and would likely get cut. Corrin and Palutena were 'flavor of the month' with Fates and Uprising.
Palutena...flavor of the month...after being among one of the most expected characters to join last game? That’s disrespectful to the green haired waifu

Though I like your guest idea to cut them all but Sonic

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I want to sleep at night

Palutena...flavor of the month...after being among one of the most expected characters to join last game? That’s disrespectful to the green haired waifu

Though I like your guest idea to cut them all but Sonic
Palutena was largely expected after Sakurai made Uprising back in 2012. Her inclusion made a lot of sense for the time, but seeing as the game was a 'one-and-done' ordeal, and with possibly new Kid Icarus title any time soon, her being lower in priority made sense.

'Flavor of the month' is probably a bit harsh for her, but it's the term I felt best conveyed her would-be situation.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
1. :ultjigglypuff: - if I could just remove one this would be the one. Jigglypuff doesn't belong in smash, and I hate it.

2-11. :ultdarksamus: :ultdoc::ultfalco::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultsimon::ultyounglink::ultlucas:Clones that I do not love and could do without, even though I only hate like 2 of them

12-20. :ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::007::002::ultsheik::ultmarth::4miigun::4miisword::4charizard: I like most of these but this is what I decided to remove.

Routa

Smash Lord
Characters that have had smallest impact on gaming or already have strong representation: :ultcorrin::ultchrom::ultpalutena::ulticeclimbers:
Already has a more well known character with similar playstyle: :ultrichter::ultyounglink::ultgreninja::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultdoc:
Newer characters: :ultinkling::ultbayonetta:(:ultlink:/:ultrosalina:)
Multiplatform characters::ultryu::ultsnake::ultpacman::ultsonic::ultcloud:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Palutena was largely expected after Sakurai made Uprising back in 2012. Her inclusion made a lot of sense for the time, but seeing as the game was a 'one-and-done' ordeal, and with possibly new Kid Icarus title any time soon, her being lower in priority made sense.

'Flavor of the month' is probably a bit harsh for her, but it's the term I felt best conveyed her would-be situation.
If anything, she’d be in the same placement as the many Fire Emblem characters who show up once or twice in a main game (excluding dlc)

Folt

Smash Ace
Hm... In order from most to least I want to cut:

1. :ultdaisy:
  2. :ultrichter:
  3. :ultpichu:
  4. :ultcloud:
  5. :ultbayonetta:
  6. :ultdarksamus:
  7. :ultdarkpit:
  8. :ultlucina:
  9. :ultyounglink: (It's between him and Toon Link, and Toon Link is so much more distinct.)
  10. :ultchrom:
  11. :ultroy:
  12. :ultlucas:
  13. :ultmewtwo:
  14. :ultpacman:
  15. :ulticeclimbers: (Either them or Rosalina, so the choice was clear.)
  16. :ultdoc:
  17. :ultbowserjr:
  18. :ultpokemontrainer: (including all the Pokémon under his moveset)
  19. :ultsnake:
  20. :ultike: (Sorry Ike, but your days are over if I have to cut 20 characters, it was between you, Corrin, and Ridley, and the other two's movesets are just that much more fancier than yours.)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If I HAD to

First to go, echoes
:ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultdarksamus: (Sorry Dark Samus)

Second 3 Mii, they feel poorly implemented
:ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters::ultmiifighters:

Third for third party, bring the focus back to Nintendo
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon: :ultryu:

Four for four to go (but then I realized I forgot Ryu so there's only 3)
Let's look at the franchises with the most
Mario:ultdoc:
Fire Emblem :ultroy: (sorry, Corrin is just more unique, and Zelda needs all the love it can get)
Pokemon:ultpichu:

Cutting third parties might be unpopular, but I think I did a pretty decent job

MarioEvolution

Smash Rookie
:ultdarkpit:+:ultlucina: (I have no idea why they exist, they're just Marth & Pit but with monor changes)
:ultdoc: (I would like to see his moveset changed despite him being not Echo Fighter)
:ultgreninja: (have no idea why they added him. Yeah he's popular and all, but why?)
:ultolimar: (character that nobody wanted, even me)
:ultrob: (very boring)
:ultwiifittrainer: (why Nintendo bring her to Switch even though her name has Wii?)
:ultlucario: (way too similar to Mewtwo and Ryu despite the fact that Ryu came after Lucario)
:ultdaisy: (annoying as f**k)
:ultdarksamus: (despite that I like her, I don't think that she needs to be in Smash)
:ultrichter: (same as Dark Samus)
:ultbayonetta: (OP as f**k)
:ultcorrin: (well...)
:ultduckhunt: (no hate to them, but I don't need them to be in SSBU...)
:ultpichu: (cute as hell, but too similar to Pikachu)
:ultfalco: (same as Pichu)
:ultroy: (same as Pichu and Falco)
:ultyounglink: (happy to see him return, but again too similar to Link and Toon Link)

Also have to cut 2 other:

:ultcloud: (too OP)
:ultganondorf: (thank god they gave him sword, but he still looks too similar to Cpt. Falcon)

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
:ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultdoc::ultroy::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultbowserjr::ultdarksamus::ultrob::ultyounglink::ultdarkpit::ultrichter:

15 Is all I could come up with. I wouldnt cut anyone else

Top Bottom