• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Could Patch SSB4...?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
User was warned for this post
:4fox:
Needs buffs to his range, mostly on his Bair. Autocancel short hop lasers back. Less lag on up smash. But, up air needs to only be a single hit instead of 2, and have less knockback.
how about no

I ain't trying to remove it, just make it kill at higher percents, similar to ZSS's up-b. I like to make changes that go directly into the heart of the character's design issues, but try to minimalize how much Ima change. So, making MK's neutral more versatile imo would be to nerf the hit box size of DA and make Up-B kill at later%, in exchange for Ftilt to have bigger hit boxes, Dtilt to have bigger hit boxes, and Dair (like you said) to have a bigger hit box and be combo-friendly.
fair autocancels and screw those other changes zss upb still kills below 100%

Last edited by a moderator:

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
Stone’s primary use isn’t offstage. The launch angle makes it hard to do much with. Stone’s primary purpose is for hard reads
I disagree. I think it should mainly be used for edgeguarding specific recoveries (Marth's Up B, MK's Up B, etc) since it can safely edgeguarding without getting punished, allowing you to go through the hitboxes of their recoveries.

DatKirby15

Smash Rookie
Yes, it is better for dealing with certain recoveries but it is just too hard to get a good reward with. In certain situations we can stage spike, but it isn’t easy and is probably getting teched. With good positioning we can dair the Marth up b too (face ledge, behind Marth).

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
I can only speak for my mains here.

:4lucario:
Needs an actual aerial side-b grab box. Smash attacks need less startup, and UP B NEEDS AN ACTUAL ATTACK HITBOX!!!! Seriously, the only time I hit with it is when I purposely glide across the ground and get punished. Also, have a lower overall scaling on aura. It can get ridiculous.

:4marth:
Don't know much I can do... either shrink the tipper hitboxes or revert him back to prepatch Marth. Oh yeah, and up smash needs a bigger hitbox.

Needs buffs to his range, mostly on his Bair. Autocancel short hop lasers back. Less lag on up smash. But, up air needs to only be a single hit instead of 2, and have less knockback.

:4zss:
Decrease range on Nair, since I find myself relying on it too much for combos. Change knockback angle on down throw, and give Up-b a smaller hitbox or substantially less knockback, but more horizontal distance.
You realize that Marth would be completely ruined if you shrank his tipper hitboxes, and if you're going to revert his range back to prepatch, than no character should be given any range buffs. Marth still has several attacks where the hitbox ends before the tip of hit sword as well as a very exploitable blind spot to his jab and u-tilt. If anything, his attacks that still have negative hits to them should get range buffs. U-smash has a big enough hitbox to it, the only thing that would possible need to be done about it is that the sourspot hitbox on the blade be shrunk so that the tipper hit can actually hit something.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I can only speak for my mains here.
:4marth:
Don't know much I can do... either shrink the tipper hitboxes or revert him back to prepatch Marth. Oh yeah, and up smash needs a bigger hitbox.

These changes would completely ruin Marth and make Fox broken, I don't think they are a good idea.

If I had to change Marcina:

:4marth:/:4lucina:
Marth and Lucina are in a great spot as far as balance goes. The only thing is that their Fsmashes are easily one of the best set of smashes in the game and can kill extremely early at times so I reduced their KBG a tiny bit. To compensate for this I at least made their Dair usable and made some changes to Shield Breaker to make it stronger on shields but less safe in neutral.
  • Marth only: tipper Fsmash BKB 80 > 75
  • Lucina only: Fsmash BKB 65 > 62
  • Dair FAF 60 > 46 and landing lag 24 > 16
  • Shield Breaker FAF increased by 12 frames on every variations
  • Partially charged Shield Breaker shield damage 25 > 28

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'd like to see a few nerfs to Diddy, Bayo and Cloud. Not a lot, mostly just slight power decreases and increased lag (though I would like somewhat of a rework for Cloud's limit Side B)

Other then that, the buffs I'd want include

:4pit:/:4darkpit:

Dair
Landing Lag: 24 -> 20
Slightly increased hitstun and knockback
Hitbox moved to base of blade and hands (easier to hit)

Fair
FAF 47 -> 44
Damage 7 -> 9

Nair
FAF 55 -> 52

Ftilt
Hitbox adjusted/added to better match animation

Upsmash
Hitboxes extended to better match animation
Slight Knockback increased

Dsmash
Hit1 Angle changed to vertical
or
Increased Knockback

UpperDash Arm:4pit:
Increased Knockback to make killing more consistent

Guardian Orbitals
Endlag (min) 64 -> 56 / (max) 124 -> 116

:4robinm:

Small Increased Grab Size
Added Visuals to show Grabbox

:4link:

Nair
Start up 7 -> 5

Jab 1
Start up 7 -> 5
Jab2
Fix the knockback so it connects to Jab 3 more consistently and allows for better follow ups (i.e Jab2 -> UpB)

:4feroy:

All Tipper moves have decreased knockback and damage but also have an increase in hitstun and shieldstun (greater then sweetspot moves)

Jab
FAF 23 -> 20
Reduced Knock to all easier combos

Dtilt
Sweetspot angle reverted to Melee angle while Tipper changed to similar angle as Jab

Fair
Damage 11/11/11/7 -> 12/12/12/5
FAF 30 -> 27

Dair
Startup 16-17 -> 13-15
FAF 52 -> 46

Uair
Increased knockback growth for Sweetspt
Damage 9 9/9/6-> 11/11/11/4
Landing lag 14 -> 12

Neutral B
Added Hitbox weak hitbox to inital swing animation (dmg 3)

Side B
DED 1 Knockback reduce to allow for better comboing

Up B
Knockback increased to allow K.Os at ~130% (without rage)
Aerial Up B
Increased distanced traveled
or
Super Armour added Frames 3-8

:135:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:4samus:
Increased weight
Ganondorf's weight is 113. Samus' is 108. Suppose that since Samus in Metroid: Other M is shorter than previously thought, a woman who stands at approximately 1.75 m. she should have a mass of 66 kg. If the armor itself is 90 kg. based on the now outdated Metroid II: Return of Samus manual, then Samus' mass is 156 kg. with the armor on. Ganondorf, who stands at 2.29 m. (Hyrule Historia) has a mass of approximately 130 kg. With an additional 10% based on Hamwi's method, he should have a mass of 143 kg. With a percent difference, Samus' weight should be 122, while Ganondorf's remains at 113. This would actually put Samus' weight exactly at Donkey Kong's. Of course, since in fiction, Donkey Kong has a mass of 363 kg., I don't see Samus being equal to him. So even with a weight of 114, I'd be fine with that. Of course, weight and fall speed aren't the same, so Samus shouldn't end up being combo food like Bowser or Donkey Kong.

Air speed and acceleration
I wonder what it'd look like if Samus had better air speed on par with Zero Suit Samus. Maybe that would seem too fast. Perhaps lower than Zero Suit Samus, but maybe about as good as Sheik's. I wonder what that would look like. If it seemed too fast for Samus to the point her controls weren't optimal, then maybe decrease it somewhat to a point where it's tolerable. Of course, with improved air speed, that probably would be best to include its acceleration.

Run speed
I don't think running is all its cracked up to be, and while I thought maybe putting Samus' running on par with Zero Suit Samus' was a good idea, maybe it's not. I find it sad that two super-heavy characters like Bowser and Donkey Kong outrun Samus. What if Samus' run speed was at least as good as Mario's? Since the suit actually improves Samus' athleticism, and since she does acquire the speed booster, it'd be nice for a faster Samus.

All aerials auto-cancel
This might seem absurd, but in Brawl, this was a good thing for Samus. She was able to perform short hop homing missile cancel, allowing her to fire an additional missile to build a wall. In Sm4sh, this is nowhere to be found.

Crawling
I'd like to see Samus use her morph ball. Not only could she dodge certain projectiles, characters who can crawl are able to space themselves when the opponent is on the ledge, allowing them to find an opening for the opponent's error. Not to mention, the morph ball is one of the most iconic abilities in gaming history.

A roll with fewer frames
If the morph ball does one thing, it actually speeds up Samus' movement compared to crawling. We can observe this in Metroid: Zero Mission, where when Samus crawls, space pirates who also crawl after her can keep up. Yet, with the morph ball, she leaves them in the dust. So, fewer frames for a roll would be nice. Rolling wouldn't be so bad for Samus players.

An additional jump
Pit, who is canonically incapable of flight, can perform multiple jumps, whereas Samus is stuck to a double jump to screw attack. The space jump allows Samus to jump infinitely, but all I would like is a third jump.

Faster grab and less lag when retracting the beam
This and that speak for themselves.

Increased hit stun
I'd be nice if Samus' jabs had hit stun. It makes no sense as to why Zero Suit Samus has hit stun with her jabs, where her armored counter-part doesn't. Come on, Nintendo. Armor means better.

"Harder, better, faster, stronger" super missiles
It's sad to see homing missiles easily destroyed by a jab, but even if it wants to function that way, I think super missiles deserve to be, well, super. Make it so that super missiles aren't destroyed by Link's arrows or gale boomerang. Make it so that stronger attacks are required to destroy super missiles like a smash attack, or shadow ball, or aura sphere. It's great that charge shots destroy super missiles and keep going, but super missiles should be able to take more punishment. More speed like in Melee would be great, too. Its knockback would also be fantastic like in Melee.

More kill moves
In Melee, down smash could KO. In Brawl, down tilt could KO. These should make a comeback. Samus needs more kill moves. She can KO with a full charge shot, n-air (I love the new n-air), b-air, u-smash, and possibly screw attack, but even the screw attack doesn't mean much. And don't bother bringing up the shinespark method because that's not as easy to perform as it sounds. It's also limited on percentage of the opponent and the stage. B-air is difficult to KO a grounded opponent because the landing lag leaves Samus open. Zero Suit Samus, on the other hand, is pretty safe. I'd love to see something like that.

Fix d-air
D-air serves one purpose, and that's to spike. I don't like these sour spots for it. Let it be old-school and do what it's meant to do.

Fix f-smash
This attack still whiffs, believe it or not. That needs to be fixed.

Fix u-smash

It annoys me that Link's u-smash will remain connected to the opponent if the opponent happens to get hit by the first part of u-smash. Why is it that Samus' u-smash can't do the same? It's not an issue of DI. It's just an issue with the attack itself. I think it should be like Link's u-smash.

Kill throws
It seems like everyone has a kill throw, especially when these characters never demonstrated such strength to throw people like rag dolls. Marth's up throw shouldn't happen, for example. Olimar's forward throw? Since when can this little man kill by throwing? Samus at least has demonstrated such strength. That there could be applied for Samus' back throw. Her up throw should also kill, since she throws Vorash up into the air. Let's think about this. Vorash is about the size of a whale shark, which has the average mass of 21 metric tons. Remove the density and we end up with a volume. Now, since Vorash is swimming in magma, which is far more viscous than water, that would require greater density on Vorash's part. Otherwise, he'd just be atop the magma. This means that with a density of 2.45 g/cm^3 (andesitic magma density), Vorash's mass goes at least close to 50 metric tons, and that's ignoring the layer of magma added to him, as well as those fins of his. So 50 metric tons is a reasonable approximation. Samus needs kill throws. After all, if she's not going to have a good grab, she may as well be rewarded for taking a risk. So, either kill throws or better grab. I'm thinking the former is better.

Bombs
I'd be nice if they behaved like proximity bombs like in Melee.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
These are Brawl Meta Knight level of changes. I think you're not actually realizing how broken this Samus would be.

It's like a heavy Mewtwo with two amazing projectiles and Cloud's aerials. Yeah.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
:4samus:
Increased weight
Ganondorf's weight is 113. Samus' is 108. Suppose that since Samus in Metroid: Other M is shorter than previously thought, a woman who stands at approximately 1.75 m. she should have a mass of 66 kg. If the armor itself is 90 kg. based on the now outdated Metroid II: Return of Samus manual, then Samus' mass is 156 kg. with the armor on. Ganondorf, who stands at 2.29 m. (Hyrule Historia) has a mass of approximately 130 kg. With an additional 10% based on Hamwi's method, he should have a mass of 143 kg. With a percent difference, Samus' weight should be 122, while Ganondorf's remains at 113. This would actually put Samus' weight exactly at Donkey Kong's. Of course, since in fiction, Donkey Kong has a mass of 363 kg., I don't see Samus being equal to him. So even with a weight of 114, I'd be fine with that. Of course, weight and fall speed aren't the same, so Samus shouldn't end up being combo food like Bowser or Donkey Kong.

Air speed and acceleration
I wonder what it'd look like if Samus had better air speed on par with Zero Suit Samus. Maybe that would seem too fast. Perhaps lower than Zero Suit Samus, but maybe about as good as Sheik's. I wonder what that would look like. If it seemed too fast for Samus to the point her controls weren't optimal, then maybe decrease it somewhat to a point where it's tolerable. Of course, with improved air speed, that probably would be best to include its acceleration.

Run speed
I don't think running is all its cracked up to be, and while I thought maybe putting Samus' running on par with Zero Suit Samus' was a good idea, maybe it's not. I find it sad that two super-heavy characters like Bowser and Donkey Kong outrun Samus. What if Samus' run speed was at least as good as Mario's? Since the suit actually improves Samus' athleticism, and since she does acquire the speed booster, it'd be nice for a faster Samus.

All aerials auto-cancel
This might seem absurd, but in Brawl, this was a good thing for Samus. She was able to perform short hop homing missile cancel, allowing her to fire an additional missile to build a wall. In Sm4sh, this is nowhere to be found.

Crawling
I'd like to see Samus use her morph ball. Not only could she dodge certain projectiles, characters who can crawl are able to space themselves when the opponent is on the ledge, allowing them to find an opening for the opponent's error. Not to mention, the morph ball is one of the most iconic abilities in gaming history.

A roll with fewer frames
If the morph ball does one thing, it actually speeds up Samus' movement compared to crawling. We can observe this in Metroid: Zero Mission, where when Samus crawls, space pirates who also crawl after her can keep up. Yet, with the morph ball, she leaves them in the dust. So, fewer frames for a roll would be nice. Rolling wouldn't be so bad for Samus players.

An additional jump
Pit, who is canonically incapable of flight, can perform multiple jumps, whereas Samus is stuck to a double jump to screw attack. The space jump allows Samus to jump infinitely, but all I would like is a third jump.

Faster grab and less lag when retracting the beam
This and that speak for themselves.

Increased hit stun
I'd be nice if Samus' jabs had hit stun. It makes no sense as to why Zero Suit Samus has hit stun with her jabs, where her armored counter-part doesn't. Come on, Nintendo. Armor means better.

"Harder, better, faster, stronger" super missiles
It's sad to see homing missiles easily destroyed by a jab, but even if it wants to function that way, I think super missiles deserve to be, well, super. Make it so that super missiles aren't destroyed by Link's arrows or gale boomerang. Make it so that stronger attacks are required to destroy super missiles like a smash attack, or shadow ball, or aura sphere. It's great that charge shots destroy super missiles and keep going, but super missiles should be able to take more punishment. More speed like in Melee would be great, too. Its knockback would also be fantastic like in Melee.

More kill moves
In Melee, down smash could KO. In Brawl, down tilt could KO. These should make a comeback. Samus needs more kill moves. She can KO with a full charge shot, n-air (I love the new n-air), b-air, u-smash, and possibly screw attack, but even the screw attack doesn't mean much. And don't bother bringing up the shinespark method because that's not as easy to perform as it sounds. It's also limited on percentage of the opponent and the stage. B-air is difficult to KO a grounded opponent because the landing lag leaves Samus open. Zero Suit Samus, on the other hand, is pretty safe. I'd love to see something like that.

Fix d-air
D-air serves one purpose, and that's to spike. I don't like these sour spots for it. Let it be old-school and do what it's meant to do.

Fix f-smash
This attack still whiffs, believe it or not. That needs to be fixed.

Fix u-smash

It annoys me that Link's u-smash will remain connected to the opponent if the opponent happens to get hit by the first part of u-smash. Why is it that Samus' u-smash can't do the same? It's not an issue of DI. It's just an issue with the attack itself. I think it should be like Link's u-smash.

Kill throws
It seems like everyone has a kill throw, especially when these characters never demonstrated such strength to throw people like rag dolls. Marth's up throw shouldn't happen, for example. Olimar's forward throw? Since when can this little man kill by throwing? Samus at least has demonstrated such strength. That there could be applied for Samus' back throw. Her up throw should also kill, since she throws Vorash up into the air. Let's think about this. Vorash is about the size of a whale shark, which has the average mass of 21 metric tons. Remove the density and we end up with a volume. Now, since Vorash is swimming in magma, which is far more viscous than water, that would require greater density on Vorash's part. Otherwise, he'd just be atop the magma. This means that with a density of 2.45 g/cm^3 (andesitic magma density), Vorash's mass goes at least close to 50 metric tons, and that's ignoring the layer of magma added to him, as well as those fins of his. So 50 metric tons is a reasonable approximation. Samus needs kill throws. After all, if she's not going to have a good grab, she may as well be rewarded for taking a risk. So, either kill throws or better grab. I'm thinking the former is better.

Bombs
I'd be nice if they behaved like proximity bombs like in Melee.
Please tell me you are joking. Do you have any idea what kind of a monstrosity you have just created?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
These are Brawl Meta Knight level of changes. I think you're not actually realizing how broken this Samus would be.

It's like a heavy Mewtwo with two amazing projectiles and Cloud's aerials. Yeah.
Even without changing her speed, weight, air speed and acceleration, giving her hit stun for her jabs, a better roll, the ability to crawl, and more kill moves wouldn't be broken. A lot of Samus mains think Samus is mid-tier. I don't agree with them, but who am I? They know more than I do, but Samus isn't the only character who has been improving her meta. Let's think about a few of the changes.

• D-smash kills in Melee.
  • D-tilt kills in Brawl.
  • Super missiles kill in Melee.

That's three additional kill moves for Samus. Her current kill moves include the following.
  • U-smash (only on taller or heavy characters)
  • F-smash (which still whiffs)
  • Charge Shot
  • Screw Attack (really only potential, and DI makes it unlikely to KO at percents it normally would)
  • N-air
  • B-air
  • D-air (for spiking, which has sour spots)

Captain Falcon has quite a list.

• U-smash
  • F-smash
  • D-smash
  • U-air
  • F-air (which has sour spots)
  • B-air
  • D-air (for spiking)
  • U-tilt (for spiking)
  • B-throw
  • Falcon Punch (a risk/reward special)
  • Raptor Boost (can spike off-stage)

Captain Falcon also has speed. Second fastest character. Even without the change in the other stuff, it'd be nice for Samus to have some extra kill moves.

Please tell me you are joking. Do you have any idea what kind of a monstrosity you have just created?
I don't, but I suspect from the sounds of it, you do. What do you think is extreme?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog

Excuse me sir Mewtwo's aerials are already amazing, his fair is possibly the best fair in the game

Even without changing her speed, weight, air speed and acceleration, giving her hit stun for her jabs, a better roll, the ability to crawl, and more kill moves wouldn't be broken. A lot of Samus mains think Samus is mid-tier. I don't agree with them, but who am I? They know more than I do, but Samus isn't the only character who has been improving her meta. Let's think about a few of the changes.

• D-tilt kills in Brawl.

That's three additional kill moves for Samus. Her current kill moves include the following.
  • Charge Shot
  • Screw Attack (really only potential, and DI makes it unlikely to KO at percents it normally would)
  • N-air
  • B-air

• U-smash
  • F-smash
  • D-smash
  • U-air
  • B-air
  • D-air (for spiking)
  • U-tilt (for spiking)
  • B-throw

Captain Falcon also has speed. Second fastest character. Even without the change in the other stuff, it'd be nice for Samus to have some extra kill moves.

I don't, but I suspect from the sounds of it, you do. What do you think is extreme?
These changes are still absolutely way too much.

Last edited:

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
Samus already has amazing ladder abilities with up-air. Making up-air autocancel AND giving her an extra jump would give her pre-patch bayonetta-level 0 to death combos on every character at lots of early percents. You are also making it laughably easy to pull this off:

faster run speed makes dash attacks easier, and a faster grab makes grabbing easier. Both of these can combo into her new 0-death combo.

I could go on, but I assume you start to see the problems? You need to view all your changes together.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
There's a lot I take issue with on the Samus changes, but namely I'd like to point out that jab1 can already combo into fsmash and dash attack under certain conditions. Increasing the hitstun to pretty much any degree would make it feasible to just fish with jabs for kill confirms. If your complaint is that jab2 doesn't connect properly, speeding that up would be a more reasonable change.

None of the projectile attacks in this game cancel endlag by landing, that nerf isn't unique to Samus's missiles. Undoing something like that would give her zoning an unique and tremendous boost, and wouldn't warrant a kill power buff alongside it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
The only aerial Sm4sh Samus has that can't currently be autocancelled out of a short hop is fair. Lagless landing missiles and by extension lasers were likely taken out on purpose (though it is funny how it took them up to the 4th game to remove it). Would be a nice option to have though. The only lag reduction for a projectile I'm aware of in Sm4sh is Fox's custom blaster that takes forever to fire. If done on the ground, there's a whole animation for Fox pulling out the blaster but if done in the air he basically goes straight to charging and firing the blaster. Best you've got after that is Pit and Dark Pit can full hop arrow without landing lag but that's just due to the faf of the move, nothing about cancelling the lag by landing afaik. Shulk with his MALLC tech is pretty much the only character to retain cancelling lag of some kind by landing and even then, it comes at a price of being forced to go into an arte.

For something more akin to the point of this thread, all I can say for sure is I'd buff Robin, Roy, Ganon and maybe Pika. Robin, give him an f5 or even f6 jumpsquat. Make his and heck, make ALL multihit jabs of all characters actually link properly at low percents. Looking namely at you Falco and Jr. For Roy I'm not entirely sure. Maybe some super armor on aerial up b or more speed or bigger disjoints or distance or power? Main issue I have with the character is his poor recovery. Other than that, make dair not suck somehow. Ganon, just make Wizkick and Dark Dive not punishable on hit and make Flame Choke untechable. Maybe give him back sh ac dair.

I'd also nerf Bayo and Cloud but idk entirely how save for removing the formers triple jump glitch and making Witch Time's slowdown be based on the damage or knockback of the move and the latters safety with aerials. Granted, I'd love to just completely haul certain aspects of this game. Get rid of the 'can't grab again after x amount of frames' thing, make it so certain characters like Bayo can't grab the ledge if someone else is grabbing it, make that a feature only certain characters have, give more characters like DK and Ganon the tough guy thing that Bowser has, return stuff like dacus, fully functioning QAC, gliding, projectile landing cancels, Flight of Ganon, bucket cancelling etc.

Minor other things: make Rest have Jiggs wake up immediately if she lands a hit, make Pika's nair or dair a strong semi spike (bugger can't kill at all without reading with fsmash or usmash or that uthrow Thunder crap), give Falco Phantasm full hitboxes rather than ending halfway into the move, make all or most spikes in the game stronger, make Fire Bird a kill move so it has something over Fire Fox. Oh and let Zelda not go into helpless after Din's Fire and have more control over movement after Farore's Wind. I'm sure there's more I can think of but that'll do for now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll just state that Samus is no Giga Bowser. Giga Bowser can actually get away with having an overpowered moveset, thanks to his Final Smash status.

While Samus does deserve improvements, her standard fighter status means that the buffs have to be on the tolerable side.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
As someone who heavily plays Samus as a counterpick secondary, I'd say that all she needs are fixes to the attacks that don't function properly and then 1 or 2 buffs in addition. That means fixes to connectivity to Jab, U-smash, U-air, Screw Attack, and then charging Nuetral B in the air. Then a buff in kill power to her D-smash since as it is now, it doesn't kill until past 200% even when at the ledge and then perhaps increase kill power to her screw attack when used on the ground.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827

• D-tilt kills in Brawl.

• Charge Shot
  • N-air
  • B-air

• U-smash
  • F-smash
  • D-smash
  • U-air
  • B-air
  • D-air (for spiking)
  • U-tilt (for spiking)
  • B-throw

Falcon doesn't have projectiles, a tether grab, three jumps, a recovery mixup and has a bad disadvantage stage. I also think Samus should use some buffs, but in everything? No.

Excuse me sir Mewtwo's aerials are already amazing, his fair is possibly the best fair in the game
And tht invalidates my point because...? I was talking about the autocanceles on aerials which Cloud has in abundance.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Falcon doesn't have projectiles, a tether grab, three jumps, a recovery mixup and has a bad disadvantage stage. I also think Samus should use some buffs, but in everything? No.

And tht invalidates my point because...? I was talking about the autocanceles on aerials which Cloud has in abundance.
jesus talk about looking into things too much

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So, let me make a few changes that hopefully are a little less extreme.

• Reduced frames for rolling for it to be useful. 4-17 frames, rather than 4-23 frames. Samus would have a roll similar to most characters.
  • A third jump.
  • Increased hit stun for jabs so they can connect, rather than be interrupted.
  • Increased knockback for super missiles, d-tilt, d-smash, and b-throw for potential kills.
  • Standing and dash grab reduced from 16 frames to 14 frames. Pivot grab reduced to 15 instead of 17. These wouldn't be faster than say Lucas', but they'd at least be faster than before.
  • Screw attack has a vacuum effect to prevent potential falling out from the attack. This would mean no shinespark, which kills at very early percents to consider it janky.

This seems more reasonable.

jesus talk about looking into things too much
The details matter.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
So, let me make a few changes that hopefully are a little less extreme.

• Reduced frames for rolling for it to be useful. 4-17 frames, rather than 4-23 frames. Samus would have a roll similar to most characters.
  • A third jump.
  • Increased hit stun for jabs so they can connect, rather than be interrupted.
  • Increased knockback for super missiles, d-tilt, d-smash, and b-throw for potential kills.
  • Standing and dash grab reduced from 16 frames to 14 frames. Pivot grab reduced to 15 instead of 17. These wouldn't be faster than say Lucas', but they'd at least be faster than before.
  • Screw attack has a vacuum effect to prevent potential falling out from the attack. This would mean no shinespark, which kills at very early percents to consider it janky.

This seems more reasonable.
A third jump seems like it would be broken unless you nerfed her ability to chain u-airs, without that she'd have an elevator that's potentially more broken than ZSS.
Also, hitstun is not something you simply tell the game to do more of, you have to either give the attacks more damage or knockback. Basically I'm saying that not producing enough hitstun isn't the issue, the issue is that the hitstun is canceling out because of the angle. Every other 1, 2 jab has an angle somewhere in the 60s to 90s on it to make sure they're still in range, Samus as the Sakurai angle (programed as 361) which means when close to 0% the angle is 0, which means they slide on the ground and get out of the intended histun sooner, and then when they reach around the 50% her Jab 1 will be a 45 angle which is when it works very limitedly. But her Jab has another issue, it uses 'base knockback' as opposed to 'weight-based knockback' like every other jab of it's kind. This is why at higher %s they'll just fly out, the knockback scales with % rather than staying fixed in place. I've actually tested both aspects and that's all that it needs.
Her Screw Attack already does function as a "vacuum", it just does a poor job of it. To fix her screw attack requires careful alterations to the angle of the attack and potentially the hitbox placements, even I haven't been able to perfectly fix it through my testings.
The other buffs are fine, but I'd still say that her U-smash and U-air need connectivity fixes to them with U-smash having no hits at her feet to pull in like with everyone other U-smash. And her U-air is suppose to function like Sheik's or Greninja's, but doesn't because the middle hits of Samus's are different and don't actually pull them in.

link2702

Smash Champion
While I don’t think it should happen in a patch for 4, I really also like der rabe’s idea for a triple jump for samus. Maybe in smash 5, Work the move in some way to balance things out. Maybe change the knockback angles on any aerial she uses as well as her spin attack after the triple jump so she just can’t ladder kill someone off the top, and maybe at lower %’s attempting the screw attack to finish might be way too risky as the opponents will land before you and get a free punish.

Idk, but I like the idea of giving her an extra jump just to at least give her some bit more Metroid mechanic feel.

Something that definitely SHOULD have been in smash 4, is the ability to go into morphball mode from a crouch as her crawl, maybe even make that feel more Metroid like as well. Make it so there is a small delay before she stands up after a crouch, and during that delay you can tab down again to go into morphball mode, during this mode, she can move quicker than most other crawls, and lay down multiple bombs, but they have decreased shield damage and knockback, and a shorter timer so she can’t break a shield from em with a charge shot follow up.

If all that is too ambitious, then at the least the knock back and kill power of dtilt, dsmash, and the super missiles should return, on top of some slight decrease to normal missile end lag

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
Lol at everyone nerfing top tiers. They are balanced as it is.

Give Jiggs a faster roll, a single combo throw to 40 or 50 percent, and guaranteed star ko off rest and she be doing much better.

Give ganondorf a better double jump and an up b with a bit more vertical recovery.

Increase shieks needle range

Make witch time proportional to the attack that triggers it and remove the duration properties from staling.

Increase falcos arial mobility

Fix d3's down tilt

Make g&w weigh a bit more

Let duck hunt cancel his up-b and fix his smash attack connections

Prepatch macs recovery

Less endlag on shulks arials and make nair autocancel out of a shorthop

Lengthen links faf after down smash

Make all 3 of Lucas's down smash active instead of 1 that you can shield and the rest don't matter. Bring back zap jump

Increase the hitbox size of wario's nair

Fix pacmans grab

Shadow sneak cancel for greninja

Bring back DACUS, slightly lower shield health, slightly slower shield regen speed, and give perfect pivots an extra frame of execution to make more accessible. And a menu option to turn stage hazards off giving a larger selection of stages we could make legal.

A lot of characters simply need a quality of life tweak here or there to improve their viability against the upper portion of the cast. Lots of the proposed balance patches I've read on this thread nerf the life out of top tiers that people loath, and break their own main in disgusting ways they don't realize. Honestly we don't need more nerfs. Learn the mu's

Edit: I tried to fix the autocorrects my phone made but I may have missed some.

Last edited:

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
This is how I think :4kirby: should be buffed, probably at the top of low tier or end of mid tier with these changes:
-Faster air speed (0.8 -> 0.9)
-Up Tilt has less KBG (116/110 -> 90/84)
-Up Smash comes out faster (Frame 14 -> Frame 8)
-Nair comes out faster (Frame 10 -> Frame 5)
-Fair comes our faster (Frame 10 -> Frame 5)
-Up Air comes out faster (Frame 10 -> Frame 6)
-Up Air has less FAF (40 -> 32)
-Dair comes out faster (Frame 18 -> Frame 14)
-Standing grab grabbox increased to cover his entire arm
-Dash grab has less FAF (39 -> 32)

Kirby obviously needs better air speed. His air speed gives him a hard time approaching in the air as many of his good moves are in the air. This also would give him a slightly easier time landing. Up Tilt would combo better and later percents so he can rack damage more easily. I felt Up Smash could come out faster so it can kill more easily. Probably made Fox Up Smash 2.0 though. Hos frame data in the air is not good. All aerials except Bair come our faster so he doesn't get beaten out in the air as hard. Up Air having less FAF allows Kirby to juggle and combo better, and the decrease on startup also helps with that. Standing grab for some reason doesn't cover Kirby's entire arm, that should be fixed. Dash Grab having less FAF makes it safer to use, even though it probably wasnt needed.

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
This is how I think :4kirby: should be buffed, probably at the top of low tier or end of mid tier with these changes:

Kirby obviously needs better air speed. His air speed gives him a hard time approaching in the air as many of his good moves are in the air. This also would give him a slightly easier time landing. Up Tilt would combo better and later percents so he can rack damage more easily. I felt Up Smash could come out faster so it can kill more easily. Probably made Fox Up Smash 2.0 though. Hos frame data in the air is not good. All aerials except Bair come our faster so he doesn't get beaten out in the air as hard. Up Air having less FAF allows Kirby to juggle and combo better, and the decrease on startup also helps with that. Standing grab for some reason doesn't cover Kirby's entire arm, that should be fixed. Dash Grab having less FAF makes it safer to use, even though it probably wasnt needed.
I would make Nair even faster (frame 3) and give Kirby two actual combo throws with high BK and low KBG (f-throw and d-throw comes into mind) so that he can have actual kill confirms. Bring back his glory from the Smash 64 days :D

Fox up-smash on kirby also sounds good, the puffball needs more threatening moves in general.

Last edited:

DatKirby15

Smash Rookie

I think you’ve buffed a few things that don’t really need to be buffed here or buffed them too much. Usmash, for one, is way too powerful to be a frame 8 option. I’d rather remove the sourspots so the move doesn’t need to hit on frame one to be useful. In general, all of Kirby’s smashes are in a pretty good place as is. Making nair, fair, and uair that much faster is unnecessary because the moves reward a hit more than other frame 5-6 options, although I agree that they need some more speed. If you look at my previous post about Kirby changes, that just about covers it. There I buff his options that really need work. For example, I make his up throw actually kill before 150 and put Stone on par with Bowser Bomb by making it break shields. You really should just look at the whole thing though.

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
I think you’ve buffed a few things that don’t really need to be buffed here or buffed them too much. Usmash, for one, is way too powerful to be a frame 8 option. I’d rather remove the sourspots so the move doesn’t need to hit on frame one to be useful. In general, all of Kirby’s smashes are in a pretty good place as is. Making nair, fair, and uair that much faster is unnecessary because the moves reward a hit more than other frame 5-6 options, although I agree that they need some more speed. If you look at my previous post about Kirby changes, that just about covers it. There I buff his options that really need work. For example, I make his up throw actually kill before 150 and put Stone on par with Bowser Bomb by making it break shields. You really should just look at the whole thing though.
While Up Smash may be powerful, it also lacks range, and a frame 14 kill move that has low range is a little underwhelming.
His aerials (besides Bair and Dair) don't really get much reward and lack range, and if they still remain a bit slower on startup those moves could easily be beaten out in terms of speed. Decreasing the startup would make them to hit and harder to beat out. Poor aerial frame data is also a pretty big flaw for Kirby.

DatKirby15

Smash Rookie
I would make Nair even faster (frame 3) and give Kirby two actual combo throws with high BK and low KBG (f-throw and d-throw comes into mind) so that he can have actual kill confirms. Bring back his glory from the Smash 64 days :D

Fox up-smash on kirby also sounds good, the puffball needs more threatening moves in general.
Frame 3 nair is way too much, since Kirby already has great reward from hitting nair and is too light to get such a godly combo escape tool and combo starter. The hitbox duration is long enough to make it oppressive on approach at frame 3. Kirby’s usmash is actually more powerful than Fox’s, so what I said before about removing sourspots seems better to me. Additionally, Fthrow is already a combo throw and, might I say, a pretty good one at that.

While Up Smash may be powerful, it also lacks range, and a frame 14 kill move that has low range is a little underwhelming.
His aerials (besides Bair and Dair) don't really get much reward and lack range, and if they still remain a bit slower on startup those moves could easily be beaten out in terms of speed. Decreasing the startup would make them to hit and harder to beat out. Poor aerial frame data is also a pretty big flaw for Kirby.
If Kirby’s airspeed was better, I definitely think his aerial frame data wouldn’t be as big a deal, especially considering his aerials are already all good during strings and combos. I never said they shouldn’t be faster, but rather that they shouldn’t be that fast. In my changes, nair, fair, amd uair are frame 8 moves now. In my experience, he rarely needs them to be much faster than that. Also, your dair buff is definitely fine and in line with what I said. Kirby also shouldn’t have aerials that are too fast because of their reward (which is actually quite good; Kirby can follow up out of all aerials bar back air) in advantage and his bait and punish style, which fits him. Usmash also balances out well with his other smashes, considering fsmash covers usmash’s weaknesses and usmash is better at catching landings, with dsmash being the fastest when you need it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
A third jump seems like it would be broken unless you nerfed her ability to chain u-airs, without that she'd have an elevator that's potentially more broken than ZSS.
I think rage plays a role in these early kill percents. It seems that the ladder combo with u-air, u-air, to up special is based on early percents, as in 0%. Maybe an extra jump would would allow for Samus to perform this ladder combo at somewhat higher percents, but I can't say I know if it'd work every time at higher percents. As for ZSS' ladder combo, that can only be set up at 30% and just below 50%. There might be exceptions with alpha stages, but I've never been able to perform a ladder combo below 30% or above 50%.

The other buffs are fine, but I'd still say that her U-smash and U-air need connectivity fixes to them with U-smash having no hits at her feet to pull in like with everyone other U-smash. And her U-air is suppose to function like Sheik's or Greninja's, but doesn't because the middle hits of Samus's are different and don't actually pull them in.
I agree. It's especially annoying when opponents can fall out of u-smash, but in Link's case, they're pretty much stuck.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Frame 3 nair is way too much, since Kirby already has great reward from hitting nair and is too light to get such a godly combo escape tool and combo starter. The hitbox duration is long enough to make it oppressive on approach at frame 3. Kirby’s usmash is actually more powerful than Fox’s, so what I said before about removing sourspots seems better to me. Additionally, Fthrow is already a combo throw and, might I say, a pretty good one at that.
Kirby needs a combo breaker because he has hard time landing and easily gets juggled to death by characters like fox or cloud with their disjointed up-airs.

Also what's wrong with giving floaty characters a combo-breaker? Luigi has one, and I would like to make KIRBY POWERFUL and an actual threat, not just a mediocore blob that has surface level meta depth. Remember what I said: bring back Kirby's glory from Smash 64.

I already know f-throw is a combo throw, but I'm pretty sure it stops working at mid % for fast fallers and pretty much nonexistent for midweights/floaties. F-throw should be a consistent combo-throw that works up to kill % so Kirby can get a kill confirm from it. Or alternatively, you could make f-throw and d-throw DI mixup throws so you can't escape f-throw with the DIs for d-throw and vice versa.

I agree Kirby desperately needs better air speed and acceleration.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
F-throw should be a consistent combo-throw that works up to kill % so Kirby can get a kill confirm from it. Or alternatively, you could make f-throw and d-throw DI mixup throws so you can't escape f-throw with the DIs for d-throw and vice versa.
I could get behind a DI mix up, but if it's always F-throw that is a kill confirm, you'll get in a situation like Diddy Kong was, hoo ha. If you think surface level meta is bad you'd be really sad when all Kirby's only use Fthrow-kill confirm only.

He also is a floaty, so combos don't work as long on him in the first place, he does not need a combo breaker.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I could get behind a DI mix up, but if it's always F-throw that is a kill confirm, you'll get in a situation like Diddy Kong was, hoo ha. If you think surface level meta is bad you'd be really sad when all Kirby's only use Fthrow-kill confirm only.

He also is a floaty, so combos don't work as long on him in the first place, he does not need a combo breaker.
I didn't mind hoo ha and I still don't mind it.

I don't think I would be sad by that, I would think that is a great opportunity/start for kirby players to develop their punish meta from, especially as people learn to counter it with SDI, DI, and situational awareness (don't. get. grabbed). Kill confirms are great because you start from a confirm and branch off from there. Just look at melee fox's up throw confirms and the various counter plays and counter-counter plays that have developed to address them.

Also I said juggles, not combos. Also kirby is super lightweight so it dies early too from not overly extensive combos. He definitely needs a combo breaker.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kirby's air speed should be buffed to around 1 - 1.04. He lacks the diverse recovery move options that Meta Knight has, and let's not forget that Final Cutter doesn't exactly help Kirby's horizontal movement.

Last edited:

DatKirby15

Smash Rookie
I didn't mind hoo ha and I still don't mind it.

I don't think I would be sad by that, I would think that is a great opportunity/start for kirby players to develop their punish meta from, especially as people learn to counter it with SDI, DI, and situational awareness (don't. get. grabbed). Kill confirms are great because you start from a confirm and branch off from there. Just look at melee fox's up throw confirms and the various counter plays and counter-counter plays that have developed to address them.

Also I said juggles, not combos. Also kirby is super lightweight so it dies early too from not overly extensive combos. He definitely needs a combo breaker.
I’m absolutely positive Kirby doesn’t need a combo breaker, and he has a pretty good time landing too. He really doesn’t need any fthrow changes, because it works for a while on most of the cast and he has plenty of stuff for higher percents. He also doesn’t need kill confirm DI mixups because he’s a combo oriented character that shouldn’t get stocks for free off a grab like that. He shouldn’t be 64 level either because that was broken. If you look at my post, I buffed Kirby to mid tier status pretty solidly.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I’m absolutely positive Kirby doesn’t need a combo breaker, and he has a pretty good time landing too. He really doesn’t need any fthrow changes, because it works for a while on most of the cast and he has plenty of stuff for higher percents. He also doesn’t need kill confirm DI mixups because he’s a combo oriented character that shouldn’t get stocks for free off a grab like that. He shouldn’t be 64 level either because that was broken. If you look at my post, I buffed Kirby to mid tier status pretty solidly.
Ew mid-tier. Why stop your favorite character at that level?

Smash 4 people have a weird allergy toward kill confirms and powerful characters. Have they never played other smash games (or fighting games for that matter)?

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
Ew mid-tier. Why stop your favorite character at that level?

Smash 4 people have a weird allergy toward kill confirms and powerful characters. Have they never played other smash games (or fighting games for that matter)?
Not every character needs to be high or top tier. If everyone is good you have brawl minus.

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Not every character needs to be high or top tier. If everyone is good you have brawl minus.
But more "balanced" mid-tiers are just adding more mediocre, boring characters. I don't think that's a good way to stimulate the meta.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I’d look at the top characters in the top 10 range and nerf them to some degree. I’d look into the bottom 10 and buff them.

How to do it would be hard. Mostly trying to keep indenties the same but toning down strengths or making weaknesses bigger. With buffs, are the strengths solid and if so are weaknesses too much?

Then I would biasedly buff Zard

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
The only buff zard needs is to his traction. Think about how good zard would be if shielding didn't send him flying backwards. It would help his punish game immensely.
I already said this though, question is how do you measure traction buffs?

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
brawl minus is a parody. nearly every character has dumb gimmicks to equalize the roster and make everyone on-par with brawl meta knight, maybe stronger since they actually buffed him a bit. it's an exaggeration.

besides that, the goal should be to minimize the gap between the worst and the best as much as possible, preferably closer to the best than the worst. good characters tend to be more fun for players than bad characters. it's why jiggs players always complain. it's why bowser jr players always complain. their complaints aren't without justification, their characters suck. and when some people cling to certain playstyles really well, and the character that fits that playstyle perfectly is bottom 10, tends to suck if bottom 10 is orders of magnitude worse than top 10.

and having everyone be good is just straight up more appealing. have you ever seen a smash mod that balances the game by making everyone terrible?

Top Bottom