• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If there was one thing about Brawl you could change...

Smady

Smash Master
what would it be?

Excluding new characters and modes.

Mine would be to remove tripping. It's entirely pointless and adds an element of luck to the game that is simply a nuisance. Even 'casual' players were going to dislike this feature, so why was it put in? To discourage competitive play? If so, how truly asinine; it needs to go.

-Ran

Smash Master
Most of the big things I would have changed, can be changed.
No Tripping? There's a code to remove it now.
3 minute replays? There's a code to remove the limit.

Uffe

Smash Hero
^^^ That's cool.

Other than tripping and three minute limitation, though, I'd have to say the person who touched the opponent last getting a free point for doing nothing. In 64 and Melee, you had to make an effort at killing your opponent to get the point. In Brawl you can have someone beat the crap out of someone and you could just tap them while they're flying off the stage and you'd get that point for just touching them with like the A button. I hate this because there have been a lot of times where I should have gotten the point and someone else stole it by tapping the person flying off.

More hitstun I guess? Nothing too major like 64 and Melees, but something to get a combo in. You can get combos in in this game, but it's a bit harder to pull off since your opponent can escape even after flying from something like an up air attack.

Better stages. A lot of stages in this game are too flashy. It's almost unoriginal and boring. I mean yeah, 64 and Melee didn't exactly have the most unique stages, but they weren't like tedious either? Is that the right word?

emoklops

Smash Cadet
I would change the way wall jumps are made.
I mean, in Melee, there was just 1 way to wall jump: being near a Wall and pressing the other direction on the control stick. But in Brawl, you can just hold the control stick to the wall and press jump to wall jump. This I find incredibly annoying when I try to get to the edge e.g. in Yoshis Island. Instead of getting to the edge, I wall jump and eat a spike O_o What's the point? What was wrong with wall jumping in Melee?

Don't get me wrong, I love Brawl, but this is a thing I hate even more than tripping.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
You should be able to pick music for each level- so you could put Kong Jungle on Final Destination etc.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
I was going to say "Nerf the hell out of Metaknight" but I cant do characters. I'd have to go with music in any stage, though. A big thing for me in the smash series has always been the music, and I would really like to hear Stickerbrush Symphony on Final Destination. :\

Otherwise, the main things I have issues with have been removed via codes. Tripping and that **** THREE MINUTE LIMITATION.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Better online, longer replays, and the ability to use STICKERS in vs. Mode....

Im more than satisfied with the gameplays mechanics.

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
add hitstun. buff all characters who have been nerfed from melee. Heck, buff those who were nerfed from the trasition from 64 to melee.

Tainted_Knives

Smash Cadet
1) a more xboxLive-like internet experience- i.e. some actual communication rather than lame bubble quotes...
2) the option of using your own music in the game...
3) being able to go through Subspace Emissary with a friend via internet....

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I would still keep attack tripping, like Diddy's bananas, most d-tilts, etc. It increases the "combo" potential. Random tripping should be removed though.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
this is some of my input on this:

-better online experience, I can't stress this enough.
-more 3rd party's such as Megaman for instance
-more tech's such as tether recovery, L-cancelling, more hitstun, etc..
-less of the extras such as stickers, coin mode, mini-games etc...
-faster overall play

and most importantly, ADD Mewtwo!

cutter

Smash Champion
In order of priority:

1. Better online play, obviously. Have it a lot like Xbox live; I can play games like Halo 3 and CoD4 with next to no lag consistently.
2. Remove the RANDOM tripping. Moves that induce tripping and bananas are perfectly fine.
3. Ability to save replays longer than 3 minutes.

Shurk

Smash Cadet
^^^ That's cool.
I'd have to say the person who touched the opponent last getting a free point for doing nothing. In 64 and Melee, you had to make an effort at killing your opponent to get the point. In Brawl you can have someone beat the crap out of someone and you could just tap them while they're flying off the stage and you'd get that point for just touching them with like the A button. I hate this because there have been a lot of times where I should have gotten the point and someone else stole it by tapping the person flying off.
You could do the same thing in Melee, I use to do it during friendlies with Fox's laser. Example; I did it last night lol.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well, I don't get to play online that much anyway, so... More hitstun... Then crouch cancelling... Then not all Up B's autosnap ledge... Then L-cancelling...

Wow, I didn't realize how much I missed from Melee... o_O

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
One more thing i would want to add to brawl. Make it possible to turn off "stage distractions", you know, things like the pokemon in Spear Pillar.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
The perfect Brawl would have:

- no tripping.
- replay length limited by memory, not by minutes.
- 39 overpowered characters (kinda like SSB64).
- lagless online play.

Of course, then there would be no room for improvement for the next Smash... this is the conspiracy on how gaming works.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
since tripping, onling lag, and replay length have been discussed.

more replay options, like rewind, fastforward, slow, and be able to move the camera while the fight is on. i hate having to restart the videos if i miss something...kinda like Halo's replays.

Commander Blizzard

Smash Apprentice
For me, I would take off the tripping and online lag. and i'll allow replays to be longer than 3 minutes aswell as more replay options.

Denzi

Smash Master
remove tripping Metaknight.

And I don't necessarily need my own music, but I would like to be able to use ANY song on ANY stage.

Shin Onigashima, why are you on Summit?
*cries*

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
If I could change one thing in Brawl, it'd be... everything.

JK, I'd deepen the Single Player Mode somehow.
I know it would probably be too much to ask for, but what if they made a campaign editor? Where you could make your own levels (big levels), add enemies in any way you wish... and make full-length adventures? That would've been sweet.

There'd be SOO much more to do on single player if you downloaded custom campaigns.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
NEW CHARACTERS. Oh wait... um, MELEE ADVENTURE MODE! DANGIT!

For serious, I'd make the SubSpace Emissary focus more on the individual franchises and have a LOT more stuff for the fans to recognize, like enemies, bosses, scenarios, etc.

Second place goes to adding more Assist Trophies.

Third place goes to having better trophies. They were just plain lazy with Brawl's trophies.

Fourth goes to more Poke Ball Pokemon.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
i Would Change The Way Wall Jumps Are Made.
I Mean, In Melee, There Was Just 1 Way To Wall Jump: Being Near A Wall And Pressing The Other Direction On The Control Stick. But In Brawl, You Can Just Hold The Control Stick To The Wall And Press Jump To Wall Jump. This I Find Incredibly Annoying When I Try To Get To The Edge E.g. In Yoshis Island. Instead Of Getting To The Edge, I Wall Jump And Eat A Spike O_o What's The Point? What Was Wrong With Wall Jumping In Melee?

Don't Get Me Wrong, I Love Brawl, But This Is A Thing I Hate Even More Than Tripping.
Omgwtfbbq!! this!

Top Bottom