• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

if sonic sucks so bad...why do we pick him?

LuCKy

Smash Master
guess im just bored and i was curious on what people would say

my reason is pretty much cuz i love sonic,and he's one of the only characters i can have fun with in this game.

well whats your reason

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
im a big sonic fan. Hes **** fun but alas, hes utilized better as a counterpick not as a main........

I am addicted to the speed, the priority issues are horrendous. They could have at least uppened his aerial game and tilts a bit, who cares if he has no one shot winners. GIVE US SOME **** PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
It's sonic. Done, thats it, he was missing in melee and now we got him. All be it somewhat weaker and lower on the tier list than we want but still sonic. Plus his mindgames with his spin shots are endless.

LuCKy

Smash Master
yea i seriously think if he had some better priority or a bigger hitbox on his aerials/tilts he would own

but yea......sonic is just tooooo good....even though he kinda sucks lol

Browny

Smash Hater
I main him coz it never gets old watching peoples reactions at uni when i dominate with sonic.

that, and its the closest thing to melees speed. half the cast feel like melee on 1/2 speed in training mode, and his dash-upsmash has to be one of the most infuriating moves in the game to come up against, awesome for making opponents rage :>

pirateguru

Smash Apprentice
he's not the typical character. Having a ridiculous learning curve to keep his popularity for sonic players low( At least in AZ, I'm the only one that I know of so far). The fact that he's pretty much an all skill character, and also the satisfaction of beating someone who disses sonic before a match. Also how many times am I going to hear "Sonic really sucks. He just can't kill."or something like that from someone in watching or playing. Sometimes I just want to throw my controller at them.:chuckle:

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
Why?Isn't the fact that he's fun good enough? lol
Seriously though the reason I main him is because he's fun and I like his character.I love everything about him except his voice:urg:.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Been a huge Sonic fan since I first set eyes on the franchise in the early 90s, and I've never looked back on it.

So, it's really more of a fanboy thing than a Smash Brothers thing. I just love the character.

Of course, I'm also addicted to how fast the blue ******* is compared to any of the other characters.

Hitage

Smash Cadet
He has the most personality of all the characters and yea I've been a huge Sonic fan since 1991. And I pick him because of his side taunt.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he sucks, he just seems to have more of a learning curve the most characters. His Fair might not have the best priority, but on almost any character it pierces sheilds on the 4th -5th hits, and can combo with itself, his ariel game is amazing... the instant chases you can do with up+b are hard to get away from. If you pick a decent stage for him (yoshi stages, smashville, corneria and the like) he'll do well against almost anyone as long as you know how to mix all of his strong suits together.

J18

Smash Journeyman
i pick him because he's a lot of fun to play as, and i just like him.
he's definitely not the best character, but far from the worst.
and i like how before release, there was a poll about who you mained, and sonic dominated that poll all the way. now, after release, when all the little fanboys realize he sucks, take a look at the poll now.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Here's my long, boring, unnecessary story.

I pick Sonic because he's Sonic, I've been a fan since Sonic 2. I was crazy excited that he was annouced when he was, then I finally pick him, and I lose. I wonder why. Come to find out, he sucks. Then I play with him and I realize that he doesn't suck, he just plays differently, which just makes sense, because he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

Why do I play with Sonic if he sucks? Because he doesn't suck. He just has some... well... disadvantages, but he's still an excellent character, and I honestly do believe, even with all of the valid arguments out there, that Sonic is one of the best character in the game.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I play him for 2 reasons.

1. He's ****ing Sonic the Hedgehog. That should be enough of a reason. Easily the coolest character in the game >.>

2. He fits my playstyle well. I picked him up pretty quick, and just stuck with him.

3. Er, 3 reasons. There always has to be 3. His taunts. They're just too good.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol i just went and checked something i figured has always been the case.
i try to main sonic because i think he has the most possibilities of every characters, so many of his moves can have different effects. So i go and check some melee vet boards, on the entire page 1 for the fox and marth boards they have 4 threads each regarding advanced tactics/techniques. then some new comers like olimar, and theres only 2! threads on page one about advanced techniques. everything thinks snake has by far the most possiblities, i found 5 threads regarding different techniques (5 threads about the snake-boost count as one lol)

while page one of the sonic boards has 8 threads about advanced tactics/techniques.

Sonic is easily one of the, if not the most interesting characters in the game since theres so many quirks about his attacks we are still discovering almost 2 months on while the other characters boards discuss advanced techniques in how to chaingrab all 39 characters provided the other player has no concept of DI LOL

Tenki

Smash Hero
^lol

I've been a Sonic fan since Sonic 2 (lol, and my friend owned Sonic 1, so we complemented each other)

Smash-wise, I started using Sonic simply because other people say he sucks.

People said Lucario sucked at one point, but they just didn't get used to his range yet. People said Charizard sucked, but they just seem to be used to faster characters. People said Link sucked, so I went to use him, just to find he had a different playstyle that doesn't suit me (I like melee characters). People said Ganondorf sucked, so I went and used him, just to find out that most of the whiners were people who kept trying to use him like his Melee counterpart instead of working with what new moves he has. Now he's one of my favorite characters to use. That community is evolving his metagame, and I'm glad about that. So nao I'm here.

Sonic's really really fun to play though :x

Really, I like using slow, heavy, hard-hitting characters (who can't recover for life), but Sonic is sooo... different. I can like.. double jump off stage, attack, and still come back to do SHFFYTS (shorthoppedfastfallyou'retooslow), which no other character has, btw. Ganon might have Flame Choke and Sparta Kick, but Sonic has SHFFYTS, homing stall, and the spring. The spring is so fun to mess around with lol. He's got potential, I think. I've not had complaints about priority since I'm new to all this technical stuff, but I think I'll stick with him until/even after you guys start doing some groundbreaking stuff too ^^

Iwan

Smash Ace
Sonic's a tad underrated i think...i've seen people put constant pressure on another player, and really that's what you have to do with sonic (from what i've seen).

Hella's sonic impressed me, as did izzy's.

Shoop70

Smash Apprentice
Well...I use Sonic because after trying out other characters (I wanted to main Fox, but realized hes just not the same as he was in Melee) Sonic seemed to be the only one that worked for how I play. I continue using him to get away from the "He sucks lolololololol" mentality.

As far as the character himself...I honestly think a lot of characters in Brawl are awesome, so that wasn't really a factor ;)

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I have no Idea. I wanted to main a newcomer and he was the character I picked up (along with Marth) when I first played. I lost a lot more as Sonic than I did as Marth, and I don't like losing at all. So ever since then, I've been hoping to get him to a stage in which I don't have as much trouble in certain matchups.

I don't really think he's that fun to play TBH. Boozer and maybe Zelda win in this department.
And by fun, I mean able to p*ss people off.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I mostly play him because I wanted to force myself to get used to his speed as a part of my training. At first I really sucked with Sonic, then I realize you have to play him in an entirely different way, his moveset is made for hit and run combos. Then once I started to realize that, I started winning more matches with him. So now Im playing as Sonic to see how far I can take him with the new playstyle that Ive been using with him.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
So I was all set to play as Pokemon Trainer. I read up Card's insanely detailed guide (a must read for PT mainers: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142987) and obtained a few victories early on against my friends. I was feeling pretty good about myself as the matches continued.

Suddenly, sirens blared as an all-too familiar silhouette proclaimed its challenge. Why, it was the Blue Blur, Sonic the Hedgehog! I had just lost the most recent match, so my friend Kevin as Link stepped up to the challenge. Sonic fell quickly, and my girlfriend Victoria squealed over the chance to play as her favorite character. Whatever. Pokemon Trainer is where it's at.

She tried out Sonic for a few matches, lost, declared that Sonic wasn't her character, then returned to her normal main, Ness. We continued a few more matches, and then the character select screen popped up.

I COULD choose PT again...but what about Sonic? I mean, I had a Genesis and all three Sonic games plus Sonic & Knuckles growing up, I even possessed a Dreamcast just for playing Sonic Adventure. Maybe I should give my old friend a try? But I mean, come now, I would surely return to PT soon, Sonic was reputedly too fast and an overall poor character to play with.

Wrong.

I had barely placed my character select coin on his image before I was bowled over, face first, as the fastest thing alive ran headlong into me. In my mind, he then stood tapping his foot over my prostrate body on the ground while I gasped for breath.

"Come on, step it up!"

I glanced up and only saw a brief wag of the finger and a familiar cocky grin flash my way as my childhood video game hero whizzed off again.

The match began, and I fumbled over the controls as Ness, Link, and Marth all pounded on me. Perhaps...perhaps I was wrong in my choice? Sonic's running speed was INSANE, and all my moves demanded that I be close up, my lives kept disappearing...

There! That glowing, floating ball!

Hit it!

Again! Again!

Once more-

NOW I'LL SHOW YOU! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

BAM! BAM! BAM!

Three stocks from three different characters broke off immediately as I tore across the screen! This was the power of Sonic! The victory screen was mine!

"Sonic's the name, speed's my game!"

---------------

So...yeah. I haven't gone back to PT yet, though he's my second main, followed by Olimar. I simply love Sonic too much. As I kept playing I realized that yes, his hitboxes were all poor, yes, his moves had no priority, and yes, he had no really good killing moves...but still. He's Sonic. And I'm good with him. It's so satisfying to win matches with a character that everybody shuts down or writes off too quickly as being "bad".

There was a stint where I repeatedly lost as Sonic and my friends suggested I switch back to PT, but I...I just couldn't. Sonic's an addiction to play as once you've tried him out.

Plus, one of my friends has now switched to Snake, and Sonic is the PERFECT counter to Snake. All of Snake's landmines and moves mean nothing to Sonic as the Blue Blur can zip over to Snake even before he can finish burying the mines, usually landing several combos. Course, Snake's raw power is more than a match for Sonic, so these matches usually come out pretty even.

LONG LIVE THE BLUE BLUR

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
When I finally got Sonic as a character, My brother for some odd reason has to be him first, and when he start using him he is pretty terrible with him, for a very good reason being that speed characters were never his style, he was more comfortable with slow power hitters back in melee. But he just defaulted to the simple, "He sucks, I can't use him."

So I decided to give him a try, as back in melee I preferred speed over power....

And I picked him up pretty fast. I don't really care about the whole priority thing when it comes to Sonic cause.... well he's Sonic! He was a fun character to use and he is listed as one of my Secondaries, my mains being Marth and Meta Knight.

It was funny to see the expression on my brother's face after I beat him with Sonic that round. XD

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
1) I supported Sonic from the beginning.
2) It's really satisfying to win with him.
3) It's really satisfying to see the look on my opponents face when I win with him.
4) It's really satisfying to be so satisfied.
5) Not many ppl use him. (I'm talking about non-n00b ppl)
6) Not many ppl can win with him.
7) Like the other's have said, he's freakin Sonic.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
......................................__.......... ......................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\.................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\............................ ....
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,...... ............
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

Because everyone else is TOO SLOW.

Not-Beef

Smash Apprentice
I live on P.E.I. Never heard of it? It's in Canada
You play Sonic because you don't like winning.

Well, that's how it seems to me.

Kidding. : )
My friend mains Sonic, and he's a beast. Too bad about that priority, hm? I think he mains Sonic because he's obsessed with him. I guess you really have to like Sonic. Y'know... if Sonic is a joke, he's an inside joke. : P

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Tell us more...lol

Couple of reasons why I use Sonic:
1) Once my friends heard Sonic was on, all I kept hearing was "Booo!!! Sonic is going to be the cheapest character in the game! (They still believe it to this day) So I wanted to keep beating them with Sonic!
2) Its SONIC THE *&^%ING HEDGEHOG.
3) After finding out about him coming in, and doing a paper about him I started watching the shows and played the games.
4) The music just drives me towards Sonic (His World/Solaris Phase 2 is a personal favorite)
5) Incredibly fun to use, even better when you beat a hater with him and rub it in his face. "This game's winner is...Sonic"
Me: "HA!! HA!!! LOOK WHO JUST BEAT YOU!!!! THAT!!! *points at Sonic spastically*"
6) Yes, I know he's not the greatest character in the world. Heck, he just might be one of the worst. Either way, i'm growing into a crazy Sonic fan and will loyally follow him to the end!

Haha, but I don't consider him a main, despite the fact that I use him the most often

Spin Dashie

Smash Cadet
Ive been a fan ever since I was 7 years old.

I own nearly all of his games.

Woke up every Saturday morning to watch his cartoon shows before school.

Used to make fan fics about Sonic.

His character relates very well with mine.

If I ever got a tatoo, it would have something to do with Sonic. Anything else, I would have to think twice about. (But I wouldn't get a tatoo anyway mainly for that reason)

Used to dye my hair blue on Halloween in high school.

Its Super Smash Bros and.... Sonic's in it?

LuCKy

Smash Master
sticky worthy???
this thread ***** lol

I don't think he sucks, he just seems to have more of a learning curve the most characters. His Fair might not have the best priority, but on almost any character it pierces sheilds on the 4th -5th hits, and can combo with itself, his ariel game is amazing... the instant chases you can do with up+b are hard to get away from. If you pick a decent stage for him (yoshi stages, smashville, corneria and the like) he'll do well against almost anyone as long as you know how to mix all of his strong suits together.
lol im pretty sure i know how good sonic is.....just sayin,but if you pick him because you think hes good then well *thumbs up* for you

Here's my long, boring, unnecessary story.

I pick Sonic because he's Sonic, I've been a fan since Sonic 2. I was crazy excited that he was annouced when he was, then I finally pick him, and I lose. I wonder why. Come to find out, he sucks. Then I play with him and I realize that he doesn't suck, he just plays differently, which just makes sense, because he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

Why do I play with Sonic if he sucks? Because he doesn't suck. He just has some... well... disadvantages, but he's still an excellent character, and I honestly do believe, even with all of the valid arguments out there, that Sonic is one of the best character in the game.
your a sonic fan so cool......but skill>luck? lol i find that offensive,and again i think i know how good sonic is lol
Sonic doesn't suck, screw you Lucky.
lol......was it you or teh umby that called me a whappanese or something like that -_-

I'm obsessed with Sonic. I wear my SatSR wristband everyday.
i lost mine >_>

Top Bottom