• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IDK my BFF Navi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
@Darkest-Link: No one was talking about old tier lists. Why'd you bring it up? We're discussing counterpick stages, stop posting stuff not related to the current discussion.

As for CP'ing against Marth - I say go Yoshi's Island
this thread wasnt made for stage discussion its made for character discussion, i question the use of this thread therfore having to do with this thread therfore remaing on topic whereas you arent

sasook

Smash Champion
this thread wasnt made for stage discussion its made for character discussion, i question the use of this thread therfore having to do with this thread therfore remaing on topic whereas you arent
We're discussing the CP matchups. Meaning like.....you need to counter against a character. Hence, its a character-related discussion. Now, do me a favor. Go back to your post with the tier list. Look at the posts before it. Was anyone talking about old tier lists from the first SSB? No. Was anyone talking about tiers, period? No. This was supposed to be a discussion for G&w, but since that's finished, the topic moved on to other characters while we wait for the next update from Bouse.

So please, as many have told you before, take your information that seems to be incorrect 95% of the time and keep it to yourself. Good day.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
We're discussing the CP matchups. Meaning like.....you need to counter against a character. Hence, its a character-related discussion. Now, do me a favor. Go back to your post with the tier list. Look at the posts before it. Was anyone talking about old tier lists from the first SSB? No. Was anyone talking about tiers, period? No. This was supposed to be a discussion for G&w, but since that's finished, the topic moved on to other characters while we wait for the next update from Bouse.

So please, as many have told you before, take your information that seems to be incorrect 95% of the time and keep it to yourself. Good day.
Sasook's To-Do-List:

1. Go to Darkest-Link's profile
2. Click on "User Lists" above the conversation box
3. Click "Add to Ignore List"
4. Click "Yes"

Problem solved. :)

I did this a while ago when Bouse said to, and the Link forums have been a lot less annoying without his stupid comments...

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Character order after Game and Watch
Marth - The Marth Forums have a Link Section.
Ike - The Ike Forums have a Link Section.
Ness - Check "Gimp the Earthboys"
Lucas - We are discussing the match up already in our own threads.
Sonic - Recently did the match up already

Sound good?

Also, does anyone know Valden? Maybe someone should challenge him on Wifi? I'd be nice to see Deva vrs Valden... There is a Deva and Chip versus Valden and some other dude, but not a 1v1. Be nice if Deva had a video <whistles>, I am too demanding I know.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
i really dont care if you got bored waiting for bouse, this isnt the area to discuss it, there is in fact a thread where a conversation like yours would be more appropiate. Idc if thats what your talking about now it has nothing to do with this thread, while my post did have something to do with it, i wasnt using the old tier list as my topic i was using it as my example

sasook

Smash Champion
Sasook's To-Do-List:

1. Go to Darkest-Link's profile
2. Click on "User Lists" above the conversation box
3. Click "Add to Ignore List"
4. Click "Yes"

Problem solved. :)

I did this a while ago when Bouse said to, and the Link forums have been a lot less annoying without his stupid comments...
^has been done now, thank you.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
You can also choose to ignore people by simply not responding to what they post. So, can we move forward pls?

What do you guys think about my list?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
You can also choose to ignore people by simply not responding to what they post. So, can we move forward pls?

What do you guys think about my list?
I think Bouse should decide because he's directing the thread. I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but you're taking a little bit too much control here. :(

Bouse

Smash Ace
Edited

Actually, **** it.

I'm just really busy with a lot of projects happening right now. I'd rather play the game right now, during my free time, than explain how to play it; so I'm going to be taking about another week or so off of this match-up guide. When I come back I will have Marth, Ike, Ness, Olimar, Lucas, Sonic, and Game and Watch all completed in one sitting. There will be a 6 posts for the 6 currently without entry posts and then Game & Watch's entry will be completed. If any other match-ups are discussed in depth up to that point there will be write-ups for those as well.

I seriously apologize for this but, I'm a Chemistry major and for some reason have to take a "research writing" class. I should just show the ***** this guide and say, "Look you *****, I can research and I can write... give me the ****edable 'A' and let me be." Two 4-5 papers due every week = blegh. Thank Cthulu this is my last English class.

Discussion will resume after that point with a new entry.

2nd Edit

Oh, and I should say this:

I have not read through all of those threads concerning match-ups. If I find that they are lacking in quality information, I will disregard them and there will be discussions held at a later date on them.

For now, just relax, play some Brawl, and go jerk off if it helps you calm down.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
A little late, but still important here is something m2k posted about countering MK,

Posted by M2k
"Tips vs MetaKnight
There are many things to do to make fighting MK easier. Here are some basic tips, although many of this is common knowledge, if any of this isn't here's some stuff that could help you:

Tornado. The top/center of the Tornado is the weak point. If say... DeDeDe jumps above MK and does a falling Bair, it will hit through (of course, if MK makes sure to be horizontal to MK so as that DDD only hits the side of the tornado, the Tornado will win, but most of the time jumping over it and faling on it with Bair is good, at least with DDD. Many moves beat Tornado (most moves in a MK ditto actually), although I don't know the specifics for each one, I'm pretty sure someone was making a list for that somewhere.

You can block Tornado and angle your shield up and be practically invulnerable to tornado the entire time, and then dash grab MK in his lag (with some characters, but most of them can retaliate just fine). Angling your shield up prevents MK from shield stabbing you when he aims it high at your head.

Lastly, and this is very useful, the BEGINNING of Tornado seems to POP PEOPLE UP a lot, so MANY characters (even semi-big ones like Rob) can just DI (or smash DI, which is pushing up really fast as you get hit basically) can just repeatedly hit up on the control stick really fast and escape the Tornado (even semi-big characters like Rob can do this really well). Another MK, or a Game and Watch, (among other characters I probably am not thinking about) can counterattack with a Dair, while most of the characters can simply DI up and try to double jump away (often footstool jumping away). Bowser, DDD, and DK seem to get ***** by Tornado the hardest, so this sometimes helps for them, but not as well as the majority of the characters.

So keep those things in mind: Smash DI up (repeatedly if necessary, although only 1 good one is needed obviously), especially at the beginning of the Tornado. If you see a Tornado coming, just block it (and if necessary, angle your shield up) and you can often counterattack with most characters, and if you predict a Tornado just either stay above MK or prepare for a move that will go through it.

Shuttle Loop. The thing about shuttle loop (an aerial shuttle loop) is that it gimps (a gimp is a low % kill) really well if you don't DI it ....... but increases ONLY SLIGHTLY with % compared to other moves. Basically what this means is, if you make sure to DI it, you will still live to really high %s. I make sure to be holding toward the stage always, so that my DI is at least "decent" and I won't really be "gimped" by it. I also try to stay directly above MK, and sometimes do a falling aerial (Snake Bair, DDD DJ [double jump] Dair, MK DJ Dairs, Lucario's Dair ***** it).

Staying directly above MK will make the odds fairly high that the shuttle loop hits you really weak with the top part of it, sending you almost nowhere, allowing you to land safely. A common way around shuttle loop is to predict it with air dodging which makes a missed shuttle loop easily punished by something like a Wario F smash or slightly charged down smash for example (or staying out of range of it then getting to the edge), but once you do that it starts to become predictible then MK can easily Dair or Nair you after your air dodge lag. Other options are doing an aerial attack that can hit through it or trade (while also holding toward the stage so your DI isn't bad), or mashing double jump dairs (with MK and DDD doing a lot of double jump dairs is a good anti-shuttle loop. Remember that shuttle loop is weak damage wise (8% in air) and it's main purpose is to gimp you without DIing it. If you remember to DI it, while doing a guessing game between aerials or air dodging while making sure to DI towards the stage at all times, you shouldn't get ***** by it too badly. It's purpose is to put you in a bad position, and it's actual priority is really low.

If MK is below you and tries to shuttle loop at the EDGE, you can block the first part and then do either a shield hop fair or bair (depending which way you are facing) or even drop under him and uair/nair. This also counts for a grounded shuttle loop, as if you block the initial rising shuttle loop he is basically saying HIT ME WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT as he glides above you and leaves himself vulnerable to things such as GW's Nair or Uair -> Up smash.

Most Metaknights will down smash twice in a row (even though that's actually not a good idea the vast majority of the time), and between the first down smash and the 2nd there is usually plenty of time to release your shield and counterattack. Also, don't roll behind a down smash happy MK.

The same goes for F Tilt; most MKs will complete all 3 hits of F tilt, allowing you to just wait for it and then grab or shield release to punish. If you want to get into a really good habit though, try getting used to timing something, like a grab or a roll for example, right after you react to the first hit (this is a useful strategy to use against Snake's F tilt with DDD, since DDD can grab snake immediately after the first hit of Snake's F tilt). Marth can up B out of shield (MK can do this too, but MK is only invincible on frame 5, while Marth is invincible frames 1-5, and considering a standing grab from them is frame 6, the difference is small).

Down tilt seems to trip like... 1/3 times? Vidjo said it trips more when it's spaced or hits their feet, and this seems to be true, although it could also be coincidence. It is a defensive move, and usually when I see MKs try to do that to me I roll backwards or try to shield grab (as DDD you can shield grab MK's down tilt since he is leaning over, although I don't know how well this works for the other characters). Rolling backwards is always safe, and since MK's down tilt may or may not trip you, they will usually try to follow up anyway (with like a dash grab or something) so you can immediately counterattack them since you can expect it. The primary purpose is to trip them, and since most people follow up after the first down tilt (either down tilt -> dash grab or down tilt -> down smash), often a good option is to just dodge right away then react to what they do and punish the lag they would have.

Do not try to punish MKs forward smash; the point of forward smash is to use it defensively, since it has a laggy startup but minimal lag afterwords. It reaches through most of MK's body (most of his back counts as a hitbox too, but not quite all of it), and reaches higher than you would think. Most MKs will do another move after missing F smash, so you can often wait for that other move and then strike him. Most of the time I either assume the MK will do a fully charged F smash and attack early (if I'm at low % at least and only risk damage not being KOd), jump over him and Dair, or wait for it to be done, then wait for the next attack they will probably do afterwords (at least in my experience). If you block the F smash, the MK will probably try to down smash you, so expect that often.

If MK does get you a little into the air, most MKs will do 1 of 2 things

1) follow up right away (most of the time the beginner/intermediate MKs do this
2) try to punish your small air dodge landing lag, assuming you will air dodge

If you expect 1, you can simply air dodge right away, then have the advantage in position
If you expect 2, you can either do an aerial attack (like a Fair) while they stand there and just get hit, or you can just double jump away. (varying your fast falls at the last second can also make it harder to time, since landing lag is only 2 frames but most attacks are out for at least 2 frames). I also recommend double jumping away while DIing in 1 direction constantly is the best way to make sure not to get 0-30d from MK's Uairs.

Another VERY interesting thing DSF figured out while playing me the day before Critical Hit 3 is that... he often footstools my head, but later I figured out that I had to just be horizontally space so he couldn't do that, but then he started pivot Bing in air with grenades to change his tragectory instantly or holding grenades so it was dangerous to attack without being really cautious.

Projectiles (GOOD projectiles) are good against MK since he has none and needs to approach you (although he can easily get to you,the reason is cuz being offensive is easier to throw him off, and it is harder for him to camp you if he attempts to). Once MK gets used to you running away and spamming projectiles, he is going to run at you. Once he does this, dash grab him. If Snake is fighting MK, you can grenade camp and then F tilt MK when he runs at you. When MK gets used to that he will eventually start to run and shield, so expect it and dash grab him (into down throw, which is a 50/50 chance of a tilt, or even a tech chase Dair if needed).

If MK grabs you, and you aren't at the edge, you will usually want to DI away. Down throw puts you close to MK with MK having a small advantage in positioning (however, you can air dodge almost right away and guarantee you won't get hit by even a jumping Uair if you time the air dodge right). However, most MK's expect you to DI away when he down throws you, and for good reason - You can DI away and air dodge (I think if you try to air dodge too late you tech roll?) and then the MK will run at you, so you can simply F tilt them (or grab them). I feel like MK has no advantage when he down throws you unless it's at the edge. Bair dash grabs and MK will lag and land behind you for you to attack him.

it's hard to edge guard MK safely, but if you're at really high % already then it's not as bad to go for risky things. Just try to beat MK by %age though, center stage especially.

if MK is fairly far away and tries to drill rush you, you can edge hog at the last second, but make sure to do your normal get up animation at the last split second of your ledge-invinciblity, otherwise you will get stagespiked by the drill. This will make the MK scared of being edge hogged, and will go onto the stage, where you can get a free hit on him. Drill rush generally has a lot of priority, and loses to few moves head-on. I think it's really funny to jump under MK as he recovers with GW and Uair him and then charged up smash his lag or keep uairing him forever.

You can also edge hog MK's up B at the last second to kill him if he is really low when he does it (but they will try to up B you just before then, so you might wanna approach the edge then shield, so that you block the predictible coming up B). On smashville and battlefield MK can fly under it quickly, but on most stages he can't do it [very well]. (If he could you could just run to the other ledge and edge hog it, but I don't know if I've ever even had to do that before). I like invincible-aerial attacks vs MK from the ledge, at least in MK dittos it's good (invincible Nair).

Most MKs down smash after glide attack, so if you are worried that you can't punish after glide attack, just wait until just after the probably-going-to-happen down smash.

If MK does ledge hop fair and you block it it's a free hit for you, and a lot of MKs do this.

If MK lands any aerial in your face (including the commonly done "spaced Fair"), just shield release into a tilt/smash attack. If they try to overspace the fair and pull backwards, just dash grab or dash attack them (dash attack using C stick so it's faster). And I said this before but... if they just run at you and shield, just dash grab them, while other times you can do other moves (like snake F tilt). Did you know that Snake's F tilt, especially the 2nd hit, completely GOES THROUGH a spaced MK fair without even trading if you do it right?

If MK tries to keep DJing away from you and Dairing (something I like to do before Tornadoing the top of people's heads), just throw projectiles at him (or with some characters, Uair him. If it's teams, double team his teammate).

FD and Yoshis Story seem to be MKs worst neutrals, while Lylat is the best (when that counts) and Smashville and Battlefield are ones I personally like, as well as random weird stages. I heard Halberd is bad, and Corneria just depends who MKs opponent is; Corneria could be either horrible or good. Rainbow Cruise is good for MK but that's mostly because of up B gimps and up throw. MK is kind of the same as Fox in melee.

So yeah, those are some random tips I thought of maybe could help you people, but it mostly comes down to fighting MK center stage, use my Tornado tips, and have good DI.

http://www.myspace.com/mew2king

Gayest of Grabbers, Miraculous Gimper, Spacing Extraordinaire
Last edited by Mew2King; Yesterday at 09:13 AM. "

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Bouse, you're taking time out of your busy schedule to write this amazing guide and it's greatly appreciated. Just take your time dude. :)

Bouse

Smash Ace
What Guide?

(check the main post)

P.S. It's not that the guide is going to be deleted, a few things are probably going to happen either:
I revise some match-ups and continue doing it or,
I hand the guide off to someone else.

Currently, I'm just out of it and too busy to care about making more work for myself.

P.P.S. I should explain that I have it saved to a .txt file.

Bouse

Smash Ace
I may end up continuing it, but just in case NintenJoe should have the .txt files.

(Oh yeah and I reposted them)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
We still are discussing G&W...its just died down.

By they way...was diddy always 50:50???/ I thought it was 40:60....

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
About G&W:

He has no real reliable way of approaching you. Zair outranges his bair, and he he attempts a grounded approach you have projectiles, zair, and your sword length to keep him back. Dair kills him at insanely low percentages. That being said, his smashes are insane, and a Fsmash at 20 could lead to a gimp for you, so you have to be extremely careful to not let him into your range.

I'm gonna say 50-50 here...

Bouse

Smash Ace
I'm busy overhauling the whole match-up guide. Once I'm done rewriting the **** thing the match-up discussion will start again.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
It's sad when a matchup thread is started and then abandoned before its completion.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
i suggest we get a new person in charge of this, like that person can create a new topic and copy/paste all the info we have in the first page

sound good with you guys?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
If you want to do it then go for it man. I got enough on my hands managing 1 thread + a life......

But I defiantly do agree with you ritch...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
If you want to do it then go for it man. I got enough on my hands managing 1 thread + a life......

But I defiantly do agree with you ritch...
It isn't like a matchup thread is that hard to keep up with. You could even just make a simple one..........as long as some form of discussion is taking place.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
If I were to do a matchup thread, I would want to keep this format because it is just godly, That in itself is a lot of work.....

Do you have any idea how frusterating it is to read every question in my Q&A thread and decide if it belongs in the FAQ? Not only that, I do research to make sure the answers that are being put up there are at least somewhat accurate. It's a pretty hard thread to manage for somebody who isn't on SWF all the time like many people I know.

+ my own life means I won't make another thread no matter how easy...

If it really is that easy, why don't you do it?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
If I were to do a matchup thread, I would want to keep this format because it is just godly, That in itself is a lot of work.....

If it really is that easy, why don't you do it?
I'm doing the match-ups...

I've just been really busy as of late...

But I guess for people who don't want to read my unecessarily in-depth analyses, a short and sweet thread that includes match-ups is a necessity. After all, I'm not sure I would even want to read my guide and look up all the big words in a dictionary...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
"If it really is that easy, why don't you do it?"[/QUOTE]

Uhhhhhhh........maybe because I don't main Link.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
A decent detailed analysis I would try to make a standard.

Just putting a ratio and pros/cons don't really do much for the realistic environment, which is why I prefer your work, NintenJoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom