• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
It does not mean there are 3 more unique's. It just got that number from the site in the about section (Where echoes are counted and Pokemon Trainer is counted as just one character) prior to Isabelle's reveal. The site still counts echoes in that number and there's no reason a site advertising the game is would be skipping Echoes in that number and only referring to uniques/semi-clones.

Box Theory isn't quite dead til' we know the rest of the base game newcomers.
The whole reason why this all spread around was that LaxChris just reported some false information, like he always does.
The page wasn't probably updated since the last Smash direct and Chris thought that it meant there were 3 new characters and spread the whole thing without doing any research.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It does not mean there are 3 more unique's. It just got that number from the site in the about section (Where echoes are counted and Pokemon Trainer is counted as just one character) prior to Isabelle's reveal. The site still counts echoes in that number and there's no reason a site advertising the game is would be skipping Echoes in that number and only referring to uniques/semi-clones.

Box Theory isn't quite dead til' we know the rest of the base game newcomers.
SonicMario, I believe you are correct that they must have gotten it from the About section of the Website. It also means that this leak is basically meaningless.

Still, I don't like the fact that we are over halfway through October with no Character Reveal or Direct. A lot of people are right, this has really been a letdown final lead-up to the game. Hopefully we get something soon.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
So, as much as I was considering the splash screen quotes you guys had told me that could fit with Tails, I did Ultimately (heh) settle with "Tails flies into the fray!". Thank you guys for your suggestions though!

volbound1700

Smash Master
The whole reason why this all spread around was that LaxChris just reported some false information, like he always does.
The page wasn't probably updated since the last Smash direct and Chris thought that it meant there were 3 new characters and spread the whole thing without doing any research.
Yeah I got the leak from LaxChris. 90% of his stuff is garbage but this one caught my eye since it was a gaming company rather than an anonymous leaker on 4Chan or Reddit.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
So...just today I went to CEX and came home with...

Super Mario Bros (NES)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
Starwing (StarFox in The UK On The SNES)
And Funny Enough, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Master System)

Alright, down to business...It Seems a Leak has mentioned a Duel DLC pack for the Sonic Series, This Includes Tails (Unique), Shadow (Echo) and Studiopolis as a Stage, it so mentiones a Arms, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and another DLC Pack too, also, Geno is a DLC character, what yall thinking?

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Super Mario Bros (NES)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Alright, down to business...It Seems a Leak has mentioned a Duel DLC pack for the Sonic Series, This Includes Tails (Unique), Shadow (Echo) and Studiopolis as a Stage, it so mentiones a Arms, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and another DLC Pack too, also, Geno is a DLC character, what yall thinking?
That's so cool to hear! :D Getting them retro games I bet is like really fun, especially playing them on their respective original systems!

And for the leak? Eh, I wouldn't look too into it. If possible, could you provide a link?

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
That's so cool to hear! :D Getting them retro games I bet is like really fun, especially playing them on their respective original systems!

And for the leak? Eh, I wouldn't look too into it. If possible, could you provide a link?
Sure Thing...let me cast my magic spell...

Yeetus...Yeetus...Commit Self Deletus!

There's The Link, I found it on a Video BTW

https://youtu.be/JKkMTGRoj2E

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
So, as much as I was considering the splash screen quotes you guys had told me that could fit with Tails, I did Ultimately (heh) settle with "Tails flies into the fray!". Thank you guys for your suggestions though!
I couldn't help but notice you had Tails and Silver as dream characters!
it would be cool if All 3 cameo characters had "Upgrades"
IF Tails becomes playable then i wouldn't be surprised if Silver did too.
Just wishful thinking :)

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I couldn't help but notice you had Tails and Silver as dream characters!
it would be cool if All 3 cameo characters had "Upgrades"
IF Tails becomes playable then i wouldn't be surprised if Silver did too.
Just wishful thinking :)
Yeah, I would love that too! Even though Silver is pretty unlikely, I'd would love to see him as he's my favorite character from the Sonic franchise and he'd have a pretty neat moveset considering he's got his whole psycho whatever powers (I can't spell the word, rip lol).

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice

Super Mario Bros (NES)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

LMAO. I saw that I was legit about to come here and ask which one of y'all wrote that leak.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman

Super Mario Bros (NES)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

You know I was actually about to mention the idea of DLC bundles. Not just for Shadow and Tails, but other series too.
Maybe a Kirby bundle with Adeleine & Ribbon and Bandana Dee, a Xeno series pack with Rex & Pyra and Elma/KOS-MOS, or maybe you don't even have to pick bundles. Maybe an RPG bundle with Sora(Kingdom Hearts) and Isaac(Golden Sun)?
As for my thoughts. It's obviously fake. I think Sakurai stated he wouldn't even consider DLC until after the game releases. So this is fake.
And if you all want to believe Vergeban, he did say Geno would be in the base game. So two good reasons to doubt this.
Seems fake but you never know. Nintendo please show us something!
Calm yourself, my friend. We have to wait till November. Well unless out of nowhere we get a Direct later down this month. Doubt it's going to even happen though.
Yeah, I would love that too! Even though Silver is pretty unlikely, I'd would love to see him as he's my favorite character from the Sonic franchise and he'd have a pretty neat moveset considering he's got his whole psycho whatever powers (I can't spell the word, rip lol).
Doubt Silver will ever get in Smash. Plus I'd rather have Blaze in first. Though if he did get in one of his taunts would have to be 'ITS NO USE'. And his Final Smash would have to be him sending the fighters off into outer space.
LMAO. I saw that I was legit about to come here and ask which one of y'all wrote that leak.
Aye, it wasn't me that's for sure.
Edit: I just realized we have reached the 25th page. Jesus.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
You know I was actually about to mention the idea of DLC bundles. Not just for Shadow and Tails, but other series too.
Maybe a Kirby bundle with Adeleine & Ribbon and Bandana Dee, a Xeno series pack with Rex & Pyra and Elma/KOS-MOS, or maybe you don't even have to pick bundles. Maybe an RPG bundle with Sora(Kingdom Hearts) and Isaac(Golden Sun)?
As for my thoughts. It's obviously fake. I think Sakurai stated he wouldn't even consider DLC until after the game releases. So this is fake.
And if you all want to believe Vergeban, he did say Geno would be in the base game. So two good reasons to doubt this.

Calm yourself, my friend. We have to wait till November. Well unless out of nowhere we get a Direct later down this month. Doubt it's going to even happen though.

Doubt Silver will ever get in Smash. Plus I'd rather have Blaze in first. Though if he did get in one of his taunts would have to be 'ITS NO USE'. And his Final Smash would have to be him sending the fighters off into outer space.
Aye, it wasn't me that's for sure.
Edit: I just realized we have reached the 25th page. Jesus.
There actually is a scenario where Silver might get into Smash, that is if Nintendo somehow acquires SEGA or the Sonic of Hedgehog IP. Then the Sonic series would likely have a lot of characters in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There actually is a scenario where Silver might get into Smash, that is if Nintendo somehow acquires SEGA or the Sonic of Hedgehog IP. Then the Sonic series would likely have a lot of characters in Smash.
yeah but hed be fair way down the list id imagine

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Stop bringing in pointless Tails hate from Shadow fans. It's not good from either side of the coin.
Alright, I apologise, its just there behaviour is...childish, I've even tried ending the conversation and he keeps replying and it's getting annoying, yet I know if I block him he'll end up thinking its an achievement, any ideas how to resolve this on a decent end?

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Alright, I apologise, its just there behaviour is...childish, I've even tried ending the conversation and he keeps replying and it's getting annoying, yet I know if I block him he'll end up thinking its an achievement, any ideas how to resolve this on a decent end?
If they're still annoying you for hours upon hours or continuously trolls on any more of your posts even past today that you make afterward probably best to block him anyway. Don't care if they call that an accomplishment, there's a block function for a reason and it's to not be bothered by people who spam dislike of a simple "I want this character playable in a video game".

If getting blocked for constantly nagging about a difference of opinion on who should get in Smash (Especially since it's very well possible we could get both by the end of all of Ultimate's speculation including DLC) is an accomplishment for them. Then that's just sad on their end. Nothing else to do in their lives but troll other people's Smash wishes.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Get medieval on him. Relentlessly pick apart the worthlessness of the pathetic waste of energy known as his "life".

EDIT: I should make it clear that I don't condone bullying. On the contrary, I hate and despise it with every fiber of my being, and I do not use the word "hate" lightly, as I consider the concept of hate to be one of the greatest poisons that afflicts the human psyche. But the way you describe this rabid Shadow fanboy... he has made it clear that he is so incredibly toxic, immature, spiteful, stubborn, and self-righteous that the only way you will know peace from his evil is to completely drive him away from the forum space he occupies. In other words, either get him banned or make him so incredibly unwelcome that he flees from the Internet in a desperate attempt to salvage his dignity before you utterly demolish it.

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Im'ma Keep It Real With You Guys...Is This It?
As someone who supports shadow just simply ignore the person. We really don’t need the tails and shadow fan base fighting one another even though we support different characters. Besides it would be a blessing if we get a unique tails and a chrom level echo shadow in the game.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Oh, yea, I forgot to ask.......so.......about this Smash Drought were having.....gee....IT SURE IS BORING AROUND HERE!

But CDI jokes aside, I've been kinda....gloomy recently, nothing exciting is happening, I can't really do anything enjoyable right now...just revealing a new stage would be cool...but, this wait for Ultimate is kinda hurting me ya know...it doesn't help that no news on the Sonic 2 Sega Ages port has come out, maybe they'll release it next month, as Sonic 2 came out 26 years ago on the 24th...

How's Everyone doing?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Oh, yea, I forgot to ask.......so.......about this Smash Drought were having.....gee....IT SURE IS BORING AROUND HERE!

But CDI jokes aside, I've been kinda....gloomy recently, nothing exciting is happening, I can't really do anything enjoyable right now...just revealing a new stage would be cool...but, this wait for Ultimate is kinda hurting me ya know...it doesn't help that no news on the Sonic 2 Sega Ages port has come out, maybe they'll release it next month, as Sonic 2 came out 26 years ago on the 24th...

How's Everyone doing?
I thought Sega Ages Sonic 2 was set for somewhere next year? (Probably early next year at least though. Can't imagine it takes that long to add all those bells and whistles they did for Sonic 1 to Sonic 2)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Tails joining Smash Ultimate after Shadow hopefully gets in would be a beauty

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
I thought Sega Ages Sonic 2 was set for somewhere next year? (Probably early next year at least though. Can't imagine it takes that long to add all those bells and whistles they did for Sonic 1 to Sonic 2)
Just an assumption! Not Anything With Backing At All! Just A Theory!

I wonder if the Drop Dash gets put into this port, and maybe Knuckles?

Shadow from the Shadows

Banned via Warnings
As someone who supports shadow just simply ignore the person. We really don’t need the tails and shadow fan base fighting one another even though we support different characters. Besides it would be a blessing if we get a unique tails and a chrom level echo shadow in the game.
See this "Unique Tails, Echo Shadow" Thing i see pop up every now and then. It makes me Cringe, it's a Sin, Especially if we are talking DLC! Echoes are bonus characters, Characters developed with Extra Time. Cause DLC doesn't have a Deadline like the base game, there is no excuse for Tails to get the whole package while Shadow gets the scraps.

Shadow, The 2nd MOST Popular Sonic Character, getting supported in Smash since Brawl, Modded like Crazy back in brawl (and even in Smash 4), That support. Shadow, with his Chaos Abilities, Abilities that Sonic doesn't use in Smash (Light Speed Dash, Boost, Stomp, Black Tornado), and his Martial Arts, Plus his Guns (even if he only had it in one game). All of that and you want Shadow to use two Spindashes, The Splits, Sonic's forward air, etc, While Tails gets all of his Attacks to fit him and his Tails and his Personality. Damn

ESPECIALLY when we are talking DLC. No Excuse for this. I cannot Support This "Unique Tails, Shadow Echo DLC Pack" that's been a idea of eople i've seen. all it is is something to keep the Shadow Fans Down. You don't want them to rise, You just want to see them fall in the echo chamber. even if we talking post game launch, you still want to see us fall, You don't want the Shadow fans hope of possibly getting a Unique/Semi-clone Shadow to come true, you just want them to settle with scraps i say.

DLC Shadow, Base Tails. DLC Tails, Base Shadow. or Perhaps both DLC Uniques. Have both of them actually represent their abilities correctly, their personalities. Don't Shaft one of them, Let both of shine i say. Just saying.

And no i wouldn't be pleased if it was the other way around and it was Echo Tails, Unique Shadow. i want both of them to shine. if you guys are gonna support this sinful idea come DLC Speculation, then i cannot join something that is so sinful, so unfair. This is unfair, not funfair.Topic

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
See this "Unique Tails, Echo Shadow" Thing i see pop up every now and then. It makes me Cringe, it's a Sin, Especially if we are talking DLC! Echoes are bonus characters, Characters developed with Extra Time. Cause DLC doesn't have a Deadline like the base game, there is no excuse for Tails to get the whole package while Shadow gets the scraps.

Shadow, The 2nd MOST Popular Sonic Character, getting supported in Smash since Brawl, Modded like Crazy back in brawl (and even in Smash 4), That support. Shadow, with his Chaos Abilities, Abilities that Sonic doesn't use in Smash (Light Speed Dash, Boost, Stomp, Black Tornado), and his Martial Arts, Plus his Guns (even if he only had it in one game). All of that and you want Shadow to use two Spindashes, The Splits, Sonic's forward air, etc, While Tails gets all of his Attacks to fit him and his Tails and his Personality. Damn

ESPECIALLY when we are talking DLC. No Excuse for this. I cannot Support This "Unique Tails, Shadow Echo DLC Pack" that's been a idea of eople i've seen. all it is is something to keep the Shadow Fans Down. You don't want them to rise, You just want to see them fall in the echo chamber. even if we talking post game launch, you still want to see us fall, You don't want the Shadow fans hope of possibly getting a Unique/Semi-clone Shadow to come true, you just want them to settle with scraps i say.

DLC Shadow, Base Tails. DLC Tails, Base Shadow. or Perhaps both DLC Uniques. Have both of them actually represent their abilities correctly, their personalities. Don't Shaft one of them, Let both of shine i say. Just saying.

And no i wouldn't be pleased if it was the other way around and it was Echo Tails, Unique Shadow. i want both of them to shine. if you guys are gonna support this sinful idea come DLC Speculation, then i cannot join something that is so sinful, so unfair. This is unfair, not funfair.Topic
I've said that the only thing that would make the MOST sense would be if they were both semi-clones, but nobody over on gamefaqs wanted to hear that. Doing it Fox, Wolf, and Falco style is the only way that really makes sense. Tails and Shadow both have parts of Sonic's moveset that would make more sense for the other character, so it would make sense to split the moveset and give new attributes to the characters individually. But like I said a lot of people don't think that's going to happen and for what its worth I don't think it will either.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman

I would prefer discussing this on a shadow tread but whatever. I for one would not mind a unique shadow or a semi clone shadow. Shadow have the potential of being unique just look at legacy xp shadow. I want shadow to rise and have abilities unique to him and same can go to tails. But let’s be honest here shadow is sadly going to be a echo. A echo that have his own specials kinda like chrom. The reason I say he will be a echo because that seems to be the realistic option of shadow getting into the game (if he is in base). I at this point just want him in the game regardless than to not have him in at all. However if he does become DLC then yes he should at least be unique since the developers will have the time to make tails and shadow unique.

Shadow from the Shadows

Banned via Warnings
I've said that the only thing that would make the MOST sense would be if they were both semi-clones, but nobody over on gamefaqs wanted to hear that. Doing it Fox, Wolf, and Falco style is the only way that really makes sense. Tails and Shadow both have parts of Sonic's moveset that would make more sense for the other character, so it would make sense to split the moveset and give new attributes to the characters individually. But like I said a lot of people don't think that's going to happen and for what its worth I don't think it will either.
I can understand if people don't think that the both of them can make it as Semi-clones, even if it makes sense. Personally i can belivee it, especially if we get DLC involved in the equation, we just have to see what happens.

I would prefer discussing this on a shadow tread but whatever. I for one would not mind a unique shadow or a semi clone shadow. Shadow have the potential of being unique just look at legacy xp shadow. I want shadow to rise and have abilities unique to him and same can go to tails. But let’s be honest here shadow is sadly going to be a echo. A echo that have his own specials kinda like chrom. The reason I say he will be a echo because that seems to be the realistic option of shadow getting into the game (if he is in base). I at this point just want him in the game regardless than to not have him in at all. However if he does become DLC then yes he should at least be unique since the developers will have the time to make tails and shadow unique.
Understandable. I can understand why people feel Shadow as an echo is the realistic option for base roster. I Personally think he'll get in as unique if he's in base, but most people don't share the same Opinion.

The only thing i know getting from all of this is that both Tails and Shadow should be Semi-clones at least, and that i can't support Either one of them being Shafted as an echo in favor of the other. As much as a Shadow Fan i am, i would rather have Tails be unique and Shadow not in Smash till the next game than have Tails being shafted as a echo in favor of unique Shadow. i can imagine the disappointment of Tails Fans, and i don't want that for them, just saying

that's all

SonicMario

Smash Master

I get it, a character being an echo is a weird area where the character makes it. But loses much of their individuality, and can feel like a hollow victory. There are already a few fans here and there for current echoes that have mixed feelings about their character being an echo.

But in a lot of ways we gotta think realistically. Sonic is not a first party franchise. While there are many 3rd parties already where if you include echoes like Richter and the possibly inevitable Ken. We have at least 10 in the base game already. We also don't know yet if 3rd parties will get more then one representative that is not an echo yet. As Tails fans we've already discussed that it's definitely possible. But to go as far as say 2 additional semi-clones to one 3rd party franchise? I get we love Sonic, but it's going to be hard to convince the public that we should get 2 full-fledged newcomers. When we bring up an echo Shadow + Unique/Semi-Clone Tails. It's more palatable to the general Smash fanbase where it's more like Sonic gets another two characters where at least one is less effort that doesn't take too much development time from other DLC characters and it makes a whole bunch of Sonic fans happy if there's one for the classic side of things and one for the more younger, Modern Sonic fans.

We're not bringing up Unique/Semi-Clone Tails & Echo Shadow to screw Shadow, far from it. If we wanted to screw Shadow we would be only campaigning for Tails and no one else. The fact that both getting in together might be the key for eachother is important, Tails needs some of the louder and outspoken support that Shadow fans get. Shadow needs something that would help palate his inclusion for those that aren't fond of the newer Sonic games (And/or more familiar with the classic cast) or even those that don't like Sonic at all (Especially in the case of DLC in which those kind of people could simply choose not to buy any of the extra Sonic characters)

We need to consider more then just us Sonic fans when supporting characters for Smash. Try bringing up Shadow and Tails both getting in as their own characters anywhere on a general Smash thread and/or website. And you're going to get jeers at that possibility. Bringing up both where one is an echo will also do the same thing for some places, but at least that would more likely get some to say "Yeah I guess that's a decent possibility. Especially for DLC".

We all love Sonic, but we're just not going to convince anyone that it should get the Kirby in Brawl treatment (That is 2 additional unique characters in one game). It'd be different if Sonic was a Nintendo franchise, but it's not. And thus we need to humble ourselves when it comes to more characters. We do think Sonic's most likely the one franchise who could get another character from it's franchise that's not an echo, but we can only expect for one character to break through to that. 2 from the same exact franchise when you also got to think of say Chun-Li or another Final Fantasy character needs to be put into consideration.

And the thing is after Sakurai's comments about what makes a fighter an echo or not after Isabelle.

Sakurai said:
This is because Isabelle and Villager have fundamentally different body types and personalities, so we couldn’t have made her an Echo. All of her animations are different; not a single one is the same.
It's pretty clear that regarding Tails and Shadow: Shadow can be an echo, Tails cannot. Shadow shares a body type, and while yes they have different core personalities. Not sure that's quite as big of a deal when Daisy fans would tell you she's alot more spunky and/or athletic then Peach, or Dark Samus fought very differently from Samus in the Prime games. They could easily change some of Sonic's animation to reflect more Shadow's brooding or harsher nature while still keeping him an echo, and there are games Shadow played no different from Sonic at all including his debut and most recently Forces. Tails on the other hand where aside from flight played like Sonic in the classics, definitely does not share Sonic's body type and would have a signature ability completely ignored or at the very least only used in up+b and/or jumps. Some of Shadow's abilities could still be conceivably be used in an echo if they used a teleport like Mewtwo's and a different Final Smash. Some of us (me included) have thought about before how Tails could work if they had to as an echo what with applying Peach's float and/or adding Kirby's multiple jumps to be Tails' "flight". But after Sakurai's clarification on echoes, we know that isn't going to cut it.

We're thinking it like this. Both can come in together, but only one can actually get their own number. And the other's going to have to share some space with Sonic. And the simple matter that is Tails can't be an echo, while Shadow can is what drives the Tails Semi-Clone + Shadow as a Sonic echo pack as the main road to that happening. We'd love both to be unique if it were possible. But the world does not revolve around us Sonic fans, we're not any more special then the other 3rd party franchises in the game. It's very possible we get an echo Shadow and that's it, or even worse Sonic stays alone once again the entire time. We should consider ourselves very lucky if indeed Sonic gets three characters this game regardless what happens. In a game where are so many requests, and a small number of newcomers cause the focus was on "Everyone is here!", two unique Sonic characters would take away and shock the public and not in a good way. Even if both were still unique in DLC that's time being taken away from many DLC hopefuls. There's more to consider in Smash then just Sonic, we need to remember that. Otherwise you're setting up yourself for personal desires that just won't be feasible.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Im'ma Keep It Real With You Guys...Is This It?
I actually 'spoke' to the guy on Twitter too. I tried to speak with him in a civilised manner. I even suggested the idea of Tails and Shadow being DLC, but he blocked me. He is very childish, let me tell you.
Like SonicMario SonicMario said it's not wise to bring all the Shadow hate to this page. I'm going to be real with you guys here and will say that there are a lot of extreme Shadow fans out there but I've met some nice ones too. I just wish there were more nice ones.

When you put it like that, I guess it would be wrong to make Tails have a unique fighter, but Shadow's just an Echo of Sonic. Then again most Shadow fans just wanted him to be an Echo, to begin with so if they ever did complain that is being hypocritical.
Whilst I do prefer the idea of a Unique Tails, him being a Semi-Clone is also good enough for me. It's better than just being an Echo at least.
So yeah if they got the Fox, Falco and Wolf treatment I'd be okay with it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
People are saying Shadow didn't play any differently from Sonic in Forces, but that isn't really true; he and Sonic each had a few exclusive moves. Shadow had some variation of the Light Speed Attack IIRC.

SonicMario

Smash Master
People are saying Shadow didn't play any differently from Sonic in Forces, but that isn't really true; he and Sonic each had a few exclusive moves. Shadow had some variation of the Light Speed Attack IIRC.
I guess I didn't play as Shadow too much in Forces. But maybe you could at least detail it a little more? I still feel like any minor differences aren't going to mean much.

Tails' flight is more different then most of anything in Shadow's gameplay in the series (Other then Shadow's own game, but come on now. Shadow is not getting his guns in his moveset. Sega is ashamed of that game aside from some of it's music. There's already the laser guns in the items in Ultimate, that's going to have to be the close enough for that)

My point was you can make Shadow play just like Sonic in Smash with some animation changes to fit Shadow's personality more and it could still fit. Tails you'd have to work harder to implement his signature flight while trying to keep him under the limits of being an echo. It'd arguably be worse then the Dixie Kong controversy on whether she should be an echo or not. Dixie does share a similar body to Diddy, but her hair flight is something you can't just ignore or it just isn't Dixie. Same thing for Tails, only Tails does NOT share Sonic's body type.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Honestly I don't think we need to get stuck on echoes. Isabella likely started as an echo and Sakurai tweaked her moves enough that she is now an official character. Still her development time was likely less than a standard brand new character. Both Tails and Shadow could fit this bill. Start as a Sonic echo but then make changes to be independent characters yet still don't have the full development time of an independent character.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Isabella likely started as an echo and Sakurai tweaked her moves enough that she is now an official character.
I don't think so. I think Isabelle was indeed made something more akin to Villager's Luigi. Similar moves in practice, but functionally pretty different. (For the exception of Pocket)

Isabelle is also a character that could of gone either way just because of how huge she is in the Animal Crossing series now. She had a great chance at being playable regardless how it was done. The only knock against her was if Sakurai would feel she's too pacifist to fight. All our echoes so far are characters that more then likely would not have made it any other way.

Daisy? Would of been out prioritized by other Mario possibilities such as a playable Toad, Paper Mario, and even Waluigi if she was going to be a unique fighter
Richter? Some of Simon's moveset borrowed from Richter's moves in Symphony of the Night. So Sakurai and Konami were like. Why not bring Richter into this too?
Chrom? There have been more new Fire Emblems since Smash 4, so making Chrom any unique if he was going to be would seem like a stretch. Plus Sakurai has expressed concern about overrepping Fire Emblem. Corrin came along because the development team was already hard at work at the time. But it's not so bad regarding echoes
Dark Samus? If you ask a Metroid fan, Dark Samus had the most potential out of the new echoes to be unique. But that doesn't matter since Dark Samus just did not have the popularity to go that far. And for sure shares an exact body shape for Samus. Popularly enough requested to be an echo, just not enough for a fully-fledged unique/semi-clone. Especially when Ridley's already made it.

Isabelle had the star power to not be an echo and her body shape was different from the Villager in Smash 4 (They would of had to shrink Isabelle to make her work as an echo). So thus, she was not an echo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
tails would be a hard character to make an echo for if he was a unique character
Yeah, the only possible one I could think of is Cream who can fly with her ears. And even then, Cream's fighting style often required her being a duo with her chao Cheese. Cream would have to be a hybrid of a hypothetical Tails' and Rosalina's style.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am just saying that Sakurai can copy moves and make it easier to develop a character even if that character isn't a true echo.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to put this out there.
I'll doubt these scenarios will ever happen, but the best chances of Tails getting into the base roster are:
1. Green Hill Zone gets a blog post about it and mentions Silver and Knuckles but no Tails. Chances are increased higher if there's a picture of both Knuckles and Silver crossing the loop but the no-show for Tails. Chances are slim.
2. Vergeban leaks Tails. Recently the guys have been silent and if all of what he said is true(Not believing him though), his sources could have been silenced, so this is also slim.
3. There's a Direct revealed to be scheduled to release on November 21, the day Sonic 2 released in Japan for both the Master System and Genesis. Even then this could mean anything.
If one of these things somehow happeN, Tails' chance might increase just a BIT.
And if by some bigger miracles all of the things I've listed happen, then Tails has a big chance to join.
Though if that all happened, then all of the stars will be aligned, Jesus will be resurrected, the Holy Grail will finally be found, Aliens will visit us, Half-Life-3 will finally be announced, Gohan will finally be more important again in Dragon Ball, A blue moon will occur and werewolves now exist, We'll find the answer to world peace, starvation and the meaning of life, Bigfoot will be found and Amy Schumer will be fired from being a 'comedian'.
Alright, I may have over-exaggerated that bit but you get my point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom