• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
The journey is far from over......

Made it this far....

*Starts To Sing Sonic Heroes Theme*

What goes up must come down.
Yet my feet don't touch the ground.
See the world spinning upside down,
A mighty crash without a sound!
I can feel your every rage,
Step aside I'll turn the page.
Breaking through your crazy maze.
Like a laser beam, my eye's on you!
Watch me rule the night away.
Watch me save the day.
Feel my storm it's gettin' close.
Heading your way!
Sonic Heroes!
Sonic Heroes!
Find you, confine you, defying your reign!
Sonic Heroes!
Sonic Heroes!
Setting the stage for a heroes parade!

Team Sonic Has Only 3 Members, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, if Sonic and Knuckles are in Smash, Tails comes too, ever since 1992, Tails has been by Sonic's side, and for 26 years, he's been In every main line title, Tails deserves to be in, and Mark my words...Assist, Echo or Unique, we will have Tails help on the Battle Field!!

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Just thought I'd also post this thing I put down in the Ultimate discussion thread on why I think Tails is a good DLC possibility. I'm not confident base game wise, but these are a few reasons why I think DLC could be Tails' time.

I think Tails could definitely be a good candidate for DLC. If there's multiple characters all at once he may even be amongst the first.

He was a Mii Costume in Smash 4 which has shown to be fruitful for many characters even if they're not playable, (Became Assists or kept their Assist Role if they already were. Tails should at the very least be more then just his background cameo on Green Hill and if that's it for the base game for Tails that might just make it a tad suspicious that there's still plans for him. If DLC continues the Mii costume upgrade route that some of our newcomers already have, it should be a consideration).

Could provide some stock into Smash Ultimate DLC for Sega that we KNOW will be profitable for both Nintendo and Sega. Nintendo boasted how successful Smash 4 DLC was. And Ultimate's no doubt is only going to print more money. Many 3rd parties may want some of their feet in some of that instant moolah, including Sega.

If Shadow misses the Base game, guess who'd be the perfect candidate to be packaged as an echo fighter with Tails for double the Sonic fanservice? (Though even if Shadow is an echo in the base game, I think Tails could still stand on his merits as a good DLC choice anyway)

While many currently think characters from 3rd party franchises already represented by their main character can only be echoes. Reminder that Smash 4 DLC pretty much broke fan written rules like that for each one. If at any point this game breaks a "3rd Party franchises getting more then one character can only be echoes", I'd highly expect Tails as the one to do it. He would definitely fit the bill as a more Isabelle style semi-clone.

And finally, Tails stands on his own as an icon. Being one of the rare characters that could boast a Luigi sort of legacy in they're the iconic Player 2/Sidekick that is nearly as synonymous with their franchise as the main character itself. When you tell me to picture Sonic the Hedgehog in my mind, it's not Sonic alone running through Green Hill Zone by himself. It's him being followed by Tails as the iconic duo they were. He was even with Sonic in that old EGM Melee April Fools prank, which would alone make it a great legacy to include Tails to bring that old prank full circle (Let's just hope Sonic and Tails wouldn't be as hard to unlock as that prank was heh). I'd be willing to bet that Sakurai would even see the appeal of Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails being made possible in a regular Smash team mode. Or Ken and Tails, both characters known to be best friends with the besties with current 3rd party characters, Tails amongst the many other younger/kid characters in Smash, Tails and Fox together as two foxes that know how to fly planes really well, etc.

Tails would just fit so much. I don't think he's got a shot at base at the moment. But I definitely think he may have a few things going for him heading into DLC even with other 3rd parties and Switch-era characters to put into consideration. Not going to say he's a shoe-in by any means. But just mentioning him as a decent possibility.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Aww, we're not getting new Sonic lines? I miss "You're too slow!" That taunt with "Sonic Speed!" really doesn't cut it.

Absolutely! Even though I'm not a huge fan of Windy Hill since I don't know about the point gravity - it makes sense for Mario Galaxy, but just seems weird on a different stage. Still, we've got two stages returning for Sonic...Even Pac didn't get his second (and infinitely more iconic) stage to return.

Chemical Plant Zone song, though - that's be awesome! I'd rather a Chemical Plant stage than Windy Hill...
Chemical Plant would make a great stage. It's visually different from Green Hills but still recognizable/iconic that anyone seeing it would instantly know it's a Sonic local. Plus the music would be awesome and more fitting for some of the more dramatic songs that seem off on Green Hills. I can picture it working like a Brinstar-like gimmick but with swimmable pink water instead of lava. The intertwined tubes would also be a must.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
Chemical Plant would make a great stage. It's visually different from Green Hills but still recognizable/iconic that anyone seeing it would instantly know it's a Sonic local. Plus the music would be awesome and more fitting for some of the more dramatic songs that seem off on Green Hills. I can picture it working like a Brinstar-like gimmick but with swimmable pink water instead of lava. The intertwined tubes would also be a must.
I just want a Doomsday/Death Egg Zone stage with a Death Egg Robot Hazard.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
One thing to note and I haven't even noticed this for the past 3 months....but Tails Mii Costume has a considerable amount of more effort than the Knuckles Mii costume, actually having a full on face mask instead of a weird helmet.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well I just saw something impossible and unforeseeable today. My football team won @ Auburn ending 11-game SEC losing streak after being a HUGE underdog. So maybe Tails has a shot. Anything could happen :).

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Dang Tails has been gaining a bit more support on Youtube recently.
We even got ourselves some big names like RelaxAlax and OHKO(btw I'm happy he got Isabelle in Smash. That reaction was the best.
I just want a Doomsday/Death Egg Zone stage with a Death Egg Robot Hazard.
I personally wanted a Tropical Resort stage from Sonic Colours, where you could use any of the Wisps. Maybe you could even fight on the Ferris Wheel boss with more huger platforms so you could fight on them? IDK it would have been way better than Windy Hill.
Also, just warning you, you may not want to post twice in a row. You may get in trouble. That's why we all reply to each other in one post then separated posts.
Well I just saw something impossible and unforeseeable today. My football team won @ Auburn ending 11-game SEC losing streak after being a HUGE underdog. So maybe Tails has a shot. Anything could happen :).
Not much of a Football/Rugby guy but I agree with the message.
I mean we got freaking Ridley at E3(Praise the lord Daddy Sakurai), so if Tails or one other character I want gets in that'd be cool.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
One thing to note and I haven't even noticed this for the past 3 months....but Tails Mii Costume has a considerable amount of more effort than the Knuckles Mii costume, actually having a full on face mask instead of a weird helmet.

Wow...i just realised that! And it's not like Knuckles' face isn't in Smash, like his GHZ cameo and his Trophy, that's actually a really cool detail! I still think that mii costumes mean something in the long run, should we call it the Mii Costume Theory?

Also, speaking off Mii's, have we seen the Mii Costumes? Maybe we won't get them? Sakurai would have shown them by now, there not important but still something most of us want to see...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I was watching an off-topic direct about the potential adventure mode and it is starting to make sense. A lot of development has probably went into this "Spirit Modes" so several high demand characters are probably being held off for DLC as the focus is on the game itself. We are likely getting a slew of DLC characters and content after game release.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I was watching an off-topic direct about the potential adventure mode and it is starting to make sense. A lot of development has probably went into this "Spirit Modes" so several high demand characters are probably being held off for DLC as the focus is on the game itself. We are likely getting a slew of DLC characters and content after game release.
I don't know how big Spirits will be yet, but yeah we should probably remember there's more then adding characters to think about when developing Smash.

On a side note, if Tails does ever gets in this game. Man I'm just going to be spending so much time playing as both Sonic and Tails. What will probably happen is Tails isn't in the base game so if he comes in by DLC I'll already have played so much Sonic I'll be doing so much Tails just to get him equal in playtime stats with Sonic. And then alternate between the two, though I would eventually lean on over to using Tails more often. Love both of the duo, but just ever so slightly prefer Tails.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how big Spirits will be yet, but yeah we should probably remember there's more then adding characters to think about when developing Smash.

On a side note, if Tails does ever gets in this game. Man I'm just going to be spending so much time playing as both Sonic and Tails. What will probably happen is Tails isn't in the base game so if he comes in by DLC I'll already have played so much Sonic I'll be doing so much Tails just to get him equal in playtime stats with Sonic. And then alternate between the two, though I would eventually lean on over to using Tails more often. Love both of the duo, but just ever so slightly prefer Tails.
To be honest with you if Tails got in, I don't know if I would play Sonic all that much anymore. That's how much I like the little guy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be honest with you if Tails got in, I don't know if I would play Sonic all that much anymore. That's how much I like the little guy.
id play as mostly tails too

probably still play as sonic regularly but hed be down the list a bit

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Hey, I just remembered, it's been 26 years since Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on the Master System was released, where we met Tails for the first time!

What's Your Favourite Tails Moment? Mine is when Tails snapped at Sonic in Sonic Lost World, it was new to see that from Tails.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hey, I just remembered, it's been 26 years since Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on the Master System was released, where we met Tails for the first time!

What's Your Favourite Tails Moment? Mine is when Tails snapped at Sonic in Sonic Lost World, it was new to see that from Tails.
Mine would be when he decided to fight Eggman all by himself in Sonic Adventure and won. Was so amazing and cool to see him get up and be so strong without Sonic!

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
id play as mostly tails too

probably still play as sonic regularly but hed be down the list a bit
I normally have a theme with my reps. Roy used to be my FE rep until Corrin came along. Mewtwo is my Pokémon rep. I never played Samus or Villager ever but Isabelle and Ridley are now my Animal Crossing and Metroid mains. Tails would complicate things for me. I do swap between Peach and Mario alot so maybe it can be like that.

This moment in Sonic X Season 3 Episode 17- The Planet of Misfortune where Tails and Cosmo fall into a trap, Amy originally made for Sonic to make him fall in love with her.
HNI_0019.JPG
Everything was perfect until Amy started to complain how it was for her and Sonic.
DANGIT AMY THESE TWO ARE HAVING A PURE, ROMANTIC AND BEAUTIFUL MOMENT AND YOU'RE RUINING IT.
Still she was the one to set them up, so I'll forgive her. Even if it was unintentional.
(TailsXCosmo best ship btw)
Also, thanks to Luigifan18 Luigifan18 for the follow. I wasn't even aware you could do that. I'm going to follow most of you guys now.

Last edited:

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
I normally have a theme with my reps. Roy used to be my FE rep until Corrin came along. Mewtwo is my Pokémon rep. I never played Samus or Villager ever but Isabelle and Ridley are now my Animal Crossing and Metroid mains. Tails would complicate things for me. I do swap between Peach and Mario alot so maybe it can be like that.

This moment in Sonic X Season 3 Episode 17- The Planet of Misfortune where Tails and Cosmo fall into a trap, Amy originally made for Sonic to make him fall in love with her.
View attachment 170015
Everything was perfect until Amy started to complain how it was for her and Sonic.
DANGIT AMY THESE TWO ARE HAVING A PURE, ROMANTIC AND BEAUTIFUL MOMENT AND YOU'RE RUINING IT.
Still she was the one to set them up, wo I'll forgiver her. Even if it was unintentional.
Also, thanks to Luigifan18 Luigifan18 for the follow. I wasn't even aware you could do that. I'm going to follow most of you guys now.
Err....Tails X Cosmo isn't my favourite ship...I've kept it like this, Sonic And Blaze, Tails and Amy & of course Knuckles And Rouge.

SonicMario

Smash Master
View attachment 170015
Still she was the one to set them up, wo I'll forgiver her. Even if it was unintentional.
Cosmo is one of those characters I wouldn't of minded if she got promoted to a main series game character. Even if I think they'd probably have to change her story. The whole metarex/transformers things that are somehow also still the same plant alien species Cosmo is admittedly so weird that I think a game Cosmo should probably go a different direction then that.

Granted even if Cosmo did become a game character she'd probably be put to the wayside right now unless in this hypothetical universe where Cosmo was canon to the games she's marketed more heavily then Cream was. Because Cream was practically the 2nd heroic female character (Rouge is a hero too but kind of not the goody-goody two shoes Amy or Cream were) during the early-mid 2000's. But now Cream can't even get into Team Sonic Racing. I suppose Blaze is kind of our #2 Sonic girl right now anyway, which makes sense.

But yeah Tails and Cosmo was cute, I do admit I was sad when I found out she was going to die in the end.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Just a random tweet. Don't bring possible argument starters. Depending what happens in the base game, we may need to start working with Shadow fans that are willing to work together to get Tails + Shadow as a DLC package.
For some reason, I'm getting a bit of hate, and I do mean a little bit of hate due to my opinions on Shadow, I'll fill you in.

Aaron webber said that an artist is working on a Team Dark Halloween artwork, I mentioned how it's becoming stale with just Sonic, Shadow, Sonic, Shadow on repeat and that I would like the rest of the cast some spotlight, like Team Chaotix, Team Hooligan, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal, Silver, Blaze. And for some reason I'm acting Salty?

I only said I wanted other characters to get attention as they deserve it, can we all agree Shadow is always pushed in the center, more that Sonic in some occasions. I then mentioned that I liked the classic games more as they had a small cast and all the characters had spotlight time.

I was being reasonable and realistic in my opinion, yet I'm the one getting the trash handed to me?

Maybe I don't like Shadow due to his character and how SEGA manage him. I do think his game decent tho...

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
For some reason, I'm getting a bit of hate, and I do mean a little bit of hate due to my opinions on Shadow, I'll fill you in.

Aaron webber said that an artist is working on a Team Dark Halloween artwork, I mentioned how it's becoming stale with just Sonic, Shadow, Sonic, Shadow on repeat and that I would like the rest of the cast some spotlight, like Team Chaotix, Team Hooligan, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal, Silver, Blaze. And for some reason I'm acting Salty?

I only said I wanted other characters to get attention as they deserve it, can we all agree Shadow is always pushed in the center, more that Sonic in some occasions. I then mentioned that I liked the classic games more as they had a small cast and all the characters had spotlight time.

I was being reasonable and realistic in my opinion, yet I'm the one getting the trash handed to me?

Maybe I don't like Shadow due to his character and how SEGA manage him. I do think his game decent tho...
I much prefer Tails as well, but we can't be fighting with Shadow fans at a time like this. Cause it's opening up to two scenarios.

1. Neither are in the base game, and you have Shadow fans mainly sticking to just Shadow for DLC since they'd still view Tails as competition especially after seeing Tails fans trashing on Shadow

2. Shadow's in the base game likely as an echo and they just gloat to you after all your replies and stuff. Even responding with a no to Shadow support tweets like you did and your name having Tails4Smash in it is kind of inviting Shadow fans to come after you.

This is why I want to wait til' we know the entire base game roster first. I think Tails and Shadow being a DLC pack is our best shot, and I think it is actually possible Tails and Shadow just managed to miss the base game. If Shadow's already in as an echo, that might make things tougher but then we could fully concentrate on just Tails at least and offer more to give from the Sonic series other then simply a Sonic echo.

volbound1700

Smash Master
My favorite Tails story was the Sonic 2 manual that stated how he met Sonic. Sonic use to race everyone and of course no animals could keep up with him. Tails idolized Sonic and started to run with him. Sonic would of course burn Tails. Well Tails started using his tails by spinning them to fly and catch up with Sonic. Sonic was impressed and they have been inseparable since.

Tails was a great side kick character.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425

You are not alone, i Personally can't stand Shadow! Mostly because of his fanbase! But the character doesn't appeal to me at all!
His game was OK..but imo, Tails should've had a modern game before him and i'm still surprised he doesn't!

Btw..Happy 26th Birthday to Tails <33

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Alright, so right now I'm making some artwork of a splash screen for Tails if he got into Smash, but what do you think it would say? I'm thinking "Tails: Flies into battle!" Something like that. If y'all have any suggestions you'd like to give me, I'd much appreciate it! :)

SonicMario

Smash Master
Alright, so right now I'm making some artwork of a splash screen for Tails if he got into Smash, but what do you think it would say? I'm thinking "Tails: Flies into battle!" Something like that. If y'all have any suggestions you'd like to give me, I'd much appreciate it! :)
I've always been fond of "Tails spins into battle!" since while at first glance it sounds generic and works just as well for Sonic then it does Tails. It's kind of also a pun because "Tails spins" = tailspin AKA the plane maneuver (Even if that's not exactly a positive plane maneuver since most Tailspins are when the plane is losing control)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You are not alone, i Personally can't stand Shadow! Mostly because of his fanbase! But the character doesn't appeal to me at all!
His game was OK..but imo, Tails should've had a modern game before him and i'm still surprised he doesn't!

Tails has had games before Shadow — oh, wait, you said "modern". Carry on, then.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
"Tails brings double the chaos."

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
Trying To think of a callback to his game!
Hmm, "Tails Flies into Adventure"

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm actually also thinking of "Tails Flies into the fray!" since the term "battle" hasn't been preset on a splash screen in Ultimate yet other than echoes.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman

Same. I don't really like his fanbase. It's like his fanbase just wants Shadow to be the only Sonic character and that's it. Even if he is just an Echo.
I like the character. But his fanbase is a bit.... yeah.
I can actually imagine Shadow The Hedgehog but replaced with Tails if SEGA picked him instead.......................... Of course without the swearing, guns and brooding. Even then it might not be that better.
Maybe, a modern Metroidvania with some Sonic mechanics would work better.
Also, yeah. Happy 26th birthday Tails.
I've always been fond of "Tails spins into battle!" since while at first glance it sounds generic and works just as well for Sonic then it does Tails. It's kind of also a pun because "Tails spins" = tailspin AKA the plane maneuver (Even if that's not exactly a positive plane maneuver since most Tailspins are when the plane is losing control)
That actually does fit, considering how many times Tails has crashed his plane.
I CAN FEEL IT!!!
Oh yeah, that got leaked. How convenient that Youtube went down during the time it was first uploaded.
Still, this is is now the best menu theme. Second would be Melee's.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
I just noticed, is it safe to say that Tails has 2 birthdays? The release of Sonic 2 on Master System and Sega Mega Drive where on different dates...and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 On Mega Drive is treated as the REAL birthday...and that takes place on November 24th....and the next Smash Direct properly takes place next Month......Hmmmmmm...

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
I just noticed, is it safe to say that Tails has 2 birthdays? The release of Sonic 2 on Master System and Sega Mega Drive where on different dates...and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 On Mega Drive is treated as the REAL birthday...and that takes place on November 24th....and the next Smash Direct properly takes place next Month......Hmmmmmm...
I mean while I do believe he's in, the Smash direct happening anytime between October or November isn't really making his case especially since the October 1st/10th theory is thrown out the window. It's pretty much a matter of....will Sega(in cooperation with Nintendo and Sakurai) knowingly **** Tails over like that knowing full well they're about to milk Sonic 2 and celebrate his 26th with **** loads of merch?

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Why do I keep hyping myself up like this?!
Welp. I guess even in November Tails has a small chance.
Also, two birthdays? I guess that's fitting since Tails has.......... two tails.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am not liking his chances after a recent leak/miss-publication by a gaming store in the UK. The gaming store has a Smash advertisement that cites 71 characters in the game. (This means only 3 additional newcomers are left). Of course Tails could be an echo. The spring jump by Sonic could be converting animation wise to Tails flying. It wouldn't do him full justice but it would be better than going without.

BTW the publication leak destroys the Box Theory.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I am not liking his chances after a recent leak/miss-publication by a gaming store in the UK. The gaming store has a Smash advertisement that cites 71 characters in the game. (This means only 3 additional newcomers are left). Of course Tails could be an echo. The spring jump by Sonic could be converting animation wise to Tails flying. It wouldn't do him full justice but it would be better than going without.

Let's all take information with a grain of salt. This could simply just be a mistake or error. This isn't the first time a game store has put out false information about games.
Still, 3 more characters are better then two I guess.
At first, this leak kind of did fit in Verge's leak but then I realized that they are also not counting Echo fighters(At least I think since, altogether the roster is 72 fighters) in this supposed leak, so that means Ken can't be one of the Final characters.
So in a way, this also puts a hole in Verge's source. And he never did confirm if Steve from Minecraft would be in. All he just said that Minecraft would be represented in some way. So unless there's another character Verge hasn't reported on this could damper his information.
Still this all could just be a spelling mistake. They perhaps meant 72 characters and were counting all of the Echo fighters, instead of typed in 71 by mistake.
That or whoever wrote this may have forgotten about Isabelle or was just reading off info from the August 8th direct and no-one notified him on the new info.
Edit: Yeah, Isabelle being forgotten may be likely since the site mentions The Inkling, Simon, King K. Rool and Ridley but no Isabelle. Leak debunked right here.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

It does not mean there are 3 more unique's. It just got that number from the site in the about section (Where echoes are counted and Pokemon Trainer is counted as just one character) prior to Isabelle's reveal. The site still counts echoes in that number and there's no reason a site advertising the game is would be skipping Echoes in that number and only referring to uniques/semi-clones.

Box Theory isn't quite dead til' we know the rest of the base game newcomers.

Top Bottom