• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

SonicMario

Smash Master
Wait for Ken to show up and whoever fighter 69 is and have there be information that another news drop for Smash is on the way.
If that happens. The box theory would technically be correct... for marketing and/or promotional purposes already revealed for when the game releases while the rest of the characters are still left off because they're released after they finish the marketing for the characters and stuff in assumingly a mid-to-late November direct. The characters revealed in october and before would still be on the box. Just whatever is left was not told to be added to the box for whatever reason.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yep, RIP Music Theory.

Only way you could really follow it now is if you grasp straws/put on a tinfoil hat and say Sakurai saw us all catching wind on how music was going up until now and scrapped the music uploading plan just to hide what's left further.
Agree... However, I do imagine that Nintendo employees visit this site and probably even post. I am a college football fan and we caught major ESPN broadcasters posting in their sports forums. I an confident Sakurai doesn't visit these forums but I am pretty sure someone from the Marketing team would frequent forums (likely have been doing this since at least the Brawl era).

SonicMario

Smash Master
Anyway, it's October 10th! 11 Years ago, we got the very pleasant news that Sonic was going to be in Brawl.

We didn't get anything Sonic related announced this day but that doesn't mean we can't still at least celebrate what was a great day for Smash and Sonic fans alike.

Where were you guys when Sonic was confirmed for Brawl?

I found out while checking news in high school. When I found out I was so excited, I practically smiled the whole day.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, it's October 10th! 11 Years ago, we got the very pleasant news that Sonic was going to be in Brawl.

We didn't get anything Sonic related announced this day but that doesn't mean we can't still at least celebrate what was a great day for Smash and Sonic fans alike.

I found out while checking news in high school. When I found out I was so excited, I practically smiled the whole day.
Unfortunately, I wasn't a Smash fan back then. Didn't become a fan until Sm4sh.
Even with Sonic in Brawl, I didn't like the Wii that much back then, so I skipped(I'm dumb I know).

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Man, those days sound so fun. Sadly though, I wasn't there for the time (I was only like 4 or something). But I knew he was in the game later down the line, and I thought that was awesome since I've been a Sonic for almost my entire life. And this sorta thing goes with Smash 4 sadly too though, since I didn't have internet for the majority of the time for that game's hype cycle. Basically, this has been my first!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

must have been at school while checking for the daily update

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm kinda starting to feel like we won't get any new remixes for Sonic this game. They might all just be original tracks from their respective games. Which may not be too bad depending on what's chosen. We are at least promised two new Sonic tracks even if all the ones that were in Brawl returned.

It could just be a case they're returning all the Sonic songs from Brawl. And we get one song each from Mania (Studiopolis I'd guess) and Forces (Most likely Fist Bump)

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
Shame we didn't get any news for Shadow or Tails in smash today, but still, good day!

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
At this point, I just want Sakurai to just show us everything now...we've been waiting and we still haven't gotten anything BIG since the Smash Direct, sorry Isabelle fans, but she isn't that Big Smash wise...I've been paciently waiting for any real info!

The Leaks have been so poor, there is no creative aspects, just safe bets and repetitive characters...'Oh, Shadow, Ken, Insineror, Issac, Skull Kid...' it's boring, and the image Leaks that have been made are even worse, there are exceptions, but as far as consistent and interesting news, Leaks that make you think, fans that can aggre on Pro Player choices, it's very poor...I'm very disappointed with the Smash Ultimate Speculation...

I'm Sorry if I sound rude, but I'm tired with waiting, either give us at least cool hints instead of Theory's, Patters...or at least get Nintendo Social media team to really interact with fans...or I'm giving up on the Minority of the Smash Community...

You All, your rashinal, polite people, and it's been really nice talking to fellow Tails supports, but even you can admit, the Leaks, Theory's, Fanbase...have been very poor this time around...

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda starting to feel like we won't get any new remixes for Sonic this game. They might all just be original tracks from their respective games. Which may not be too bad depending on what's chosen. We are at least promised two new Sonic tracks even if all the ones that were in Brawl returned.

It could just be a case they're returning all the Sonic songs from Brawl. And we get one song each from Mania (Studiopolis I'd guess) and Forces (Most likely Fist Bump)
If thats true I hope Chemical Plant, Believe In Myself(Sonic Lost World), Knight of the Wind(Sonic and the Black Knight) or Never Turn Back(Shadow The Hedgehog) get in.
Shame we didn't get any news for Shadow or Tails in smash today, but still, good day!
Well it's not like it has to happen on the 10th. There's still hope for Sonic news.
At this point, I just want Sakurai to just show us everything now...we've been waiting and we still haven't gotten anything BIG since the Smash Direct, sorry Isabelle fans, but she isn't that Big Smash wise...I've been paciently waiting for any real info!

The Leaks have been so poor, there is no creative aspects, just safe bets and repetitive characters...'Oh, Shadow, Ken, Insineror, Issac, Skull Kid...' it's boring, and the image Leaks that have been made are even worse, there are exceptions, but as far as consistent and interesting news, Leaks that make you think, fans that can aggre on Pro Player choices, it's very poor...I'm very disappointed with the Smash Ultimate Speculation...

I'm Sorry if I sound rude, but I'm tired with waiting, either give us at least cool hints instead of Theory's, Patters...or at least get Nintendo Social media team to really interact with fans...or I'm giving up on the Minority of the Smash Community...

You All, your rashinal, polite people, and it's been really nice talking to fellow Tails supports, but even you can admit, the Leaks, Theory's, Fanbase...have been very poor this time around...
Ey man leave my sweet adorable puppy alone.
I was pretty excited for her and I'm not even an AC fan.
Yeah, let me tell you even Sm4sh had better leaks. Everything but the leaks has been more exciting this time. Though, really at the end of the day, leaks shouldn't matter much for the game's hype(Unless it literary leaks the whole game, with actual footage).
Also, thank you too. It's been nice talking to you Tails fans. Ever since Miiverse closed, I had nowhere else to really go. It's been fun. I'll miss this let me tell you that.

Last edited:

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425

There's an old saying called "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"
and Sakurai did say he was slowing down the reveals...
It sucks but it'll be worth it!

Btw to Lighten up Tails Chances(maybe), Throughout
The Smash bros series except Metroid. The 2nd Rep of a series
was always a sidekick/best friend before a rival/villian.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
There's an old saying called "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait"
and Sakurai did say he was slowing down the reveals...
It sucks but it'll be worth it!

Btw to Lighten up Tails Chances(maybe), Throughout
The Smash bros series except Metroid. The 2nd Rep of a series
was always a sidekick/best friend before a rival/villian.
To be fair, for Metroid there's not much good guys, other then Rundas from Prime 3 to choose from.
Doesn't ZSS technically count as a second rep anyways?

Last edited:

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, for Metroid there's not much good guys, other then Rundas from Prime 3 to choose from.
Doesn't ZSS technically count as a second rep anyways?
Ridley and Dark Samus are much more iconic and relevant to the series, extremely recognizable and recurring characters. Metroid is a series primarily about isolation so choosing the villains from that series makes sense. As for the music thing, that could actually bode well for Tails if we have returning tracks as most of those removed brawl tracks were classic Sonic songs and more closely represent an era Tails is from. Be kind of strange to just hide em, but I could be looking a bit too deep into that. I think if we get two new sonic songs if taken from current titles will be Fist Bump and probably Best Friends from Mania (If they take from Mania) and something tells me they will.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master

I woke up, checked the Smash Dojo, and then celebrated! It made my day as well. Interesting fact, I have had this avatar since before that announcement. I found out about SmashBoards in the Brawl days.

volbound1700

Smash Master

I agree with you. I think this was the point of Sakurai's comments about revealing stuff too early. I don't think the message was that we are only going to have 2 characters, I think the message was that we are going to have a gap between when we will get the next direct.

I do think there are only 5-7 characters left that are unrevealed (including echoes). I do think Nintendo has some surprise, popular picks that they are holding onto for the Final Direct. It would make sense to go ahead and show popular hype characters like Ridley, Simon Belmont, and King K Rool and then finish out with some of the weak rosters being leaked like the Box Theory with just Ken and 7th Gen Pokemon. That is a terrible marketing move.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I agree with you. I think this was the point of Sakurai's comments about revealing stuff too early. I don't think the message was that we are only going to have 2 characters, I think the message was that we are going to have a gap between when we will get the next direct.

I do think there are only 5-7 characters left that are unrevealed (including echoes). I do think Nintendo has some surprise, popular picks that they are holding onto for the Final Direct. It would make sense to go ahead and show popular hype characters like Ridley, Simon Belmont, and King K Rool and then finish out with some of the weak rosters being leaked like the Box Theory with just Ken and 7th Gen Pokemon. That is a terrible marketing move.
We have to at least entertain the possibility that's all that's left. Ending on a note (At least character wise, we have no idea how big Spirits is. That might be the big draw of the next direct) that's not as high as Ridley at E3 and then K. Rool in August isn't a strong enough reason to say they can't have something else up their sleeves for last. (Or at least not something that's in the base game that's quite as big, as they could announce our first DLC character that WOULD be a big deal one way or another)

There's a reason they may frontload some of the big reveals. Pre-orders. With every veteran back, Ridley and K. Rool revealed in the first 3 months of the game's official reveal you absolutely get the people who wanted those characters, of which there were many, to pre-order the game ASAP. Even if they do have one last huge surprise, it comes to a be a bit too sudden of an event and there may not be as much of a stock for pre-orders because there were already so many by the time the final surprise characters were revealed. (Though pre-loading the game digitally probably helps alot with this, kind of hard to run out of digital copies of a game)

I think there's 5 more at the absolute maximum. Meaning it's tough for me to even expect 5 more at this point. 2 is the absolute lowest left but I could definitely see 3-4 being a possibility. Unfortunately, I just can't see Tails being one of those left. But as I've repeated many times, Tails' best bet is DLC.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
We have to at least entertain the possibility that's all that's left. Ending on a note (At least character wise, we have no idea how big Spirits is. That might be the big draw of the next direct) that's not as high as Ridley at E3 and then K. Rool in August isn't a strong enough reason to say they can't have something else up their sleeves for last. (Or at least not something that's in the base game that's quite as big, as they could announce our first DLC character that WOULD be a big deal one way or another)

There's a reason they may frontload some of the big reveals. Pre-orders. With every veteran back, Ridley and K. Rool revealed in the first 3 months of the game's official reveal you absolutely get the people who wanted those characters, of which there were many, to pre-order the game ASAP. Even if they do have one last huge surprise, it comes to a be a bit too sudden of an event and there may not be as much of a stock for pre-orders because there were already so many by the time the final surprise characters were revealed. (Though pre-loading the game digitally probably helps alot with this, kind of hard to run out of digital copies of a game)

I think there's 5 more at the absolute maximum. Meaning it's tough for me to even expect 5 more at this point. 2 is the absolute lowest left but I could definitely see 3-4 being a possibility. Unfortunately, I just can't see Tails being one of those left. But as I've repeated many times, Tails' best bet is DLC.
Right now DLC is probably the last thing on my mind! Mind you we're got over 70 Characters!
i mean it's still quite alot..Sakurai could be done after the base roster. Who knows at this point?

I see it like this, IF Tails doesn't make it..and Shadow does because he can be an echo and Tails can't....
it will STING.

Either way i still have hope for base roster.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Right now DLC is probably the last thing on my mind! Mind you we're got over 70 Characters!
i mean it's still quite alot..Sakurai could be done after the base roster. Who knows at this point?

I see it like this, IF Tails doesn't make it..and Shadow does because he can be an echo and Tails can't....
it will STING.

Either way i still have hope for base roster.
To be honest, I'm pretty damn confident Ultimate's going to have DLC at some point. Smash 4 DLC did very well, Nintendo has outright boasted about the success of Smash DLC last time. They might at least give the base game it's time in the spotlight for a little while. But by April next year I would expect us to know the first batch of DLC characters coming to the game. (We even may get the very first DLC character announced at the tail end of our next Smash direct. Just to avoid the "Will they or won't they?" stuff for a while.) Back in Smash 4, we thought Mewtwo might be the only additional character post-game. But then Lucas and the Fighter Ballot was announced in April. This time however I think we can be assured there will be a good length DLC period.

You are right there are a lot of characters already. But Nintendo would have to be nuts not to make more characters eventually. Even if Sakurai stops working on the game (Which I don't think he would, he's pretty much a workaholic when it comes to Smash), Nintendo will bring someone to direct more characters into the game anyway. The Switch has sold alot better then the Wii U has so providing DLC characters should provide even more money then Smash 4's DLC then. DLC for Smash Ultimate will practically be printing money for Nintendo and/or any 3rd party companies that get characters in the game.

Which is exactly why I think Tails is a good candidate for this time regardless of the fact if Shadow's in as an echo fighter in the base game or not. Heck, it'd be in Tails favor if Shadow does miss base game so that a DLC Character pack that brings both Tails and Shadow in together as a Sonic character pack that will make many people who have requested more characters other then Sonic in happy. But I do think Tails does have the merit to be DLC anyway even if Shadow is in the base game first. Sega may want some of it's own stock in the Smash DLC, and bringing in Tails would certainly work.

We may just have to potentially deal with the Tails mii costume's return being all we get for a little while longer.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I'm pretty damn confident Ultimate's going to have DLC at some point. Smash 4 DLC did very well, Nintendo has outright boasted about the success of Smash DLC last time. They might at least give the base game it's time in the spotlight for a little while. But by April next year I would expect us to know the first batch of DLC characters coming to the game. (We even may get the very first DLC character announced at the tail end of our next Smash direct. Just to avoid the "Will they or won't they?" stuff for a while.) Back in Smash 4, we thought Mewtwo might be the only additional character post-game. But then Lucas and the Fighter Ballot was announced in April. This time however I think we can be assured there will be a good length DLC period.

You are right there are a lot of characters already. But Nintendo would have to be nuts not to make more characters eventually. Even if Sakurai stops working on the game (Which I don't think he would, he's pretty much a workaholic when it comes to Smash), Nintendo will bring someone to direct more characters into the game anyway. The Switch has sold alot better then the Wii U has so providing DLC characters should provide even more money then Smash 4's DLC then. DLC for Smash Ultimate will practically be printing money for Nintendo and/or any 3rd party companies that get characters in the game.

Which is exactly why I think Tails is a good candidate for this time regardless of the fact if Shadow's in as an echo fighter in the base game or not. Heck, it'd be in Tails favor if Shadow does miss base game so that a DLC Character pack that brings both Tails and Shadow in together as a Sonic character pack that will make many people who have requested more characters other then Sonic in happy. But I do think Tails does have the merit to be DLC anyway even if Shadow is in the base game first. Sega may want some of it's own stock in the Smash DLC, and bringing in Tails would certainly work.

We may just have to potentially deal with the Tails mii costume's return being all we get for a little while longer.
Like I said if he didn't get the message last time, I don't see Sakurai waiting till DLC to do it unless they already have in mind characters they want to make DLC. But I agree that Sega would benefit from bringing Tails in as that's one of their most marketed characters especially right now.

volbound1700

Smash Master

I disagree. If Ken and Inceneroar are the only characters left, this would kill game hype and perhaps hurt the next Smash Bros down the line. The only way to save face in that instance would be to announce DLC right away.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. If Ken and Inceneroar are the only characters left, this would kill game hype and perhaps hurt the next Smash Bros down the line. The only way to save face in that instance would be to announce DLC right away.
FACTS. Hell I'd rather them not announce anything else at all or have waited longer to announce Ridley and K.Rool. In my mind, there's just no way in hell they'd end off on such a weak note and if we don't get anything this month I feel like there may be a big pay off in November. However, that bundle is coming out pretty soon and Nintendo might want to push that.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I mean, we have over 70 characters already. Everyone is here being a huge selling point (Which must come with a downside, and less newcomers then normal would certainly be that) Including longtime fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool in the game. This game is going to sell. And while yes, a lack of new characters is surely going to get it's initial backlash just like every time the full base game roster has been revealed. I do kind of believe that many with big wishlists for Newcomers for this game still are forgetting what "Everyone is here" meant.

Those additional characters that had to be added back weren't just ported over. They had to be remade and balanced across the huge cast. Not to mention the 1000s of changes Sakurai mentioned for all characters across the board that had to be balanced across themselves. At least 6 semi-clones/uniques that were veterans were added on top of returning every character in Smash 4. That should absolutely cut into how much time was feasible for newcomers.

And something tells me, even if Ken and Incineroar isn't all that's left (I'll even say I think there's room for it) that those that would be loud and complain about it... won't really be any more satisfied with what actually is left because there probably isn't much more. But with a game this big and other things to focus on this game aside from characters (We still need to know exactly what spirits mode is and there's really actually not alot we know about this game aside from characters and stages if you noticed. Where are the trophies? What will be the enemy team of this game? What's exactly going on with the Miis moves and/or costumes? [We haven't seen a single costume aside from the default] etc.) I believe the complaints won't be big enough to kill the hype going into this game. You sound like Ken and Incineroar would erase all the hype that Ridley, K. Rool, and returning every single veteran has generated. Like suddenly the game is Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite tier of disappointing when that absolutely wouldn't be the case.

If 5 or less characters left is going to disappoint you in a roster that's already over 70 characters to the point it will kill your hype. I don't know what to tell you. I was sold as far back as E3, everything after was icing on the cake. I'll still campaign on behalf of Tails just because he is the only one I truly, truly, want. But even if Sakurai for some reason personally called me tomorrow and said "Tails will never be playable in Smash Bros." I'd be fine with that. I don't NEED Tails to be happy with this game. It already has so much. To me the fact that we're at the very least assured two more even if we possibly know who they are already is cool. I'm at the mindset where I'm like, "2 or 3 more characters? Nice!" and if there's even 4-5 more "Awesome!" and if somehow there's 6 or more I'll be like "HOLY ****! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!".

On a side note though, I think there is a good chance we get our first DLC character in the next direct anyway. But I'd see it as to keep the character hype going rather then saving face. This game is huge already, I don't see how the worst case scenario of only two more characters left in the base game is really going to be that bad beyond a few weeks of the inevitable gut reactions from fans that just can't be satisfied. I do think at least the high chance of DLC being in this game will cushion some of the blow regardless of what happens, but ultimately the game's release will be there for us soon. We're less then two months away already!

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Just thought of something. What if Tails had a grab similar to Links Hookshot and Samus' Grapple Beam with the Tether Ring from Tails Skypatrol?

Yeah, I think DLC is likely for this game.
I just hope Sakurai gets a damn break after all this.
You know what would be totally insane? If they tease the DLC in the last direct with a character(just like in Smash 4 with Mewtwo) and it turns out its not just one character but two AND it's Shadow and Tails.
I'd pay for that alone and be happy.
I see your point. Don't get me wrong Ken and Incineroar have their fans. But to end it off with an Echo fighter, that everyone and their gran were expecting from when Daisy was revealed and a *Gasp* new Pokemon representative from the most recent game(Because we haven't done that before in the last games right?).
Yeah...... that's a bit of a bummer. Especially since they revealed two of the most requested fighters ever like Ridley and King K. Rool. I mean onward from that you'd expect Shadow, Sora, Shantae, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Heihachi/Lloyd, Tails maybe even freaking Goku! (Okay pls don't actually add Goku)
I mean yeah it makes sense to add them in and like SonicMario SonicMario pointed out we have like 70, but your partically teasing us with the earlier announcements. They should have at least swapped the announcements around, so you hype people up for nothing.
Should they not get in? Well no. They deserve their spots in the game. But to reveal them this late......... EH. I mean even Smash 4 would've had a better finale if it wasn't for the ERSB leak, ending off with Shulk, Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.
I mean, we have over 70 characters already. Everyone is here being a huge selling point (Which must come with a downside, and less newcomers then normal would certainly be that) Including longtime fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool in the game. This game is going to sell. And while yes, a lack of new characters is surely going to get it's initial backlash just like every time the full base game roster has been revealed. I do kind of believe that many with big wishlists for Newcomers for this game still are forgetting what "Everyone is here" meant.

Those additional characters that had to be added back weren't just ported over. They had to be remade and balanced across the huge cast. Not to mention the 1000s of changes Sakurai mentioned for all characters across the board that had to be balanced across themselves. At least 6 semi-clones/uniques that were veterans were added on top of returning every character in Smash 4. That should absolutely cut into how much time was feasible for newcomers.

And something tells me, even if Ken and Incineroar isn't all that's left (I'll even say I think there's room for it) that those that would be loud and complain about it... won't really be any more satisfied with what actually is left because there probably isn't much more. But with a game this big and other things to focus on this game aside from characters (We still need to know exactly what spirits mode is and there's really actually not alot we know about this game aside from characters and stages if you noticed. Where are the trophies? What will be the enemy team of this game? What's exactly going on with the Miis moves and/or costumes? [We haven't seen a single costume aside from the default] etc.) I believe the complaints won't be big enough to kill the hype going into this game. You sound like Ken and Incineroar would erase all the hype that Ridley, K. Rool, and returning every single veteran has generated. Like suddenly the game is Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite tier of disappointing when that absolutely wouldn't be the case.

If 5 or less characters left is going to disappoint you in a roster that's already over 70 characters to the point it will kill your hype. I don't know what to tell you. I was sold as far back as E3, everything after was icing on the cake. I'll still campaign on behalf of Tails just because he is the only one I truly, truly, want. But even if Sakurai for some reason personally called me tomorrow and said "Tails will never be playable in Smash Bros." I'd be fine with that. I don't NEED Tails to be happy with this game. It already has so much. To me the fact that we're at the very least assured two more even if we possibly know who they are already is cool. I'm at the mindset where I'm like, "2 or 3 more characters? Nice!" and if there's even 4-5 more "Awesome!" and if somehow there's 6 or more I'll be like "HOLY ****! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!".

On a side note though, I think there is a good chance we get our first DLC character in the next direct anyway. But I'd see it as to keep the character hype going rather then saving face. This game is huge already, I don't see how the worst case scenario of only two more characters left in the base game is really going to be that bad beyond a few weeks of the inevitable gut reactions from fans that just can't be satisfied. I do think at least the high chance of DLC being in this game will cushion some of the blow regardless of what happens, but ultimately the game's release will be there for us soon. We're less then two months away already!
Okay even I'd be crazy to compare Incineroar and Ken to the disappointment that was MvCI(I understand not having the X-Men, but they could have added other Marvel characters into the base game like Miss Marvel(The Inhumans character), Any of the other Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther(WHY THE HECK WERE DLC?!) Venom(WHY WERE YOU ALSO DLC), Dr. Octopus, You get my point. And don't even get me started on the Capcom side.)
Sakurai calling you up just to tell you Tails won't be in Smash would be hilarious but also pretty sad.
I hope Sakurai never calls me to tell me that now.

volbound1700

Smash Master

It really isn't even the number of characters that is the issue, it is the marketing situation. You ever heard of Don Totsu? Continuous Improvement and Continuous change to meet the marketplace. Consumers expect bigger and better products. (FYI I work for a large Japanese company in a very different industry than video games).

The market situation would be stupid to lay all your cards on the table early and not have another popular character sitting in waiting. Incenroar and Ken don't move the needle. Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, Masterchief, Steve, Rayman, Tails, Skullkid, etc. They would move the needle. I agree that I think 5 characters are left. I think Skullkid and Geno may be one of those five. Don't count out a Bethesda character like Doomguy or Dovakin as well. One of Bethesda's top executives admitting in an interview that he has discuss Smash Brothers participation with Nintendo.

On a final note, the lack of a big surprise at the end doesn't fit Sakurai's surprise. He also likes to underwhelm us with his comments and then hit us with a big surprise at the end.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It really isn't even the number of characters that is the issue, it is the marketing situation. You ever heard of Don Totsu? Continuous Improvement and Continuous change to meet the marketplace. Consumers expect bigger and better products. (FYI I work for a large Japanese company in a very different industry than video games).

The market situation would be stupid to lay all your cards on the table early and not have another popular character sitting in waiting. Incenroar and Ken don't move the needle. Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, Masterchief, Steve, Rayman, Tails, Skullkid, etc. They would move the needle. I agree that I think 5 characters are left. I think Skullkid and Geno may be one of those five. Don't count out a Bethesda character like Doomguy or Dovakin as well. One of Bethesda's top executives admitting in an interview that he has discuss Smash Brothers participation with Nintendo.

On a final note, the lack of a big surprise at the end doesn't fit Sakurai's surprise. He also likes to underwhelm us with his comments and then hit us with a big surprise at the end.
Oh man I hope you’re right...

Previous Smash games have always ended on fizzle reveals - Shulk was the last official reveal before release for For, and I don’t remember but I think it was Olimar for Brawl. However, the DLC was undeniably impressive, and now we don’t have to bring veterans back.

Still Tails is my ‘most deserving’ and Dovahkiin is my ‘if he got in, I would accept literally anyone else,’ so I love the names you picked.

Last edited:

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
I personally believe Sakurai has a massive surprise waiting for us. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I can see a trailer where Sonic battles Shadow, Tails and Assist!Knuckles come in to help, and then all four work together to fight a boss character (Robotnik). It's a nice concept, but yeah, he's probably not going to shock me enough. If he used this exact trailer scenario... THEN I would be surprised.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I believe he has a surprise, I just don't know what. My closest guess on the big surprise will be Geno and perhaps Banjo-Kazooie. I think they are the most likely two big name surprises. Banjo was very high on the poll.

SonicMario

Smash Master
For a quick change of pace, thought I'd mention what I'd choose for Tails' classic mode run (Given now it's predetermined for every character and will be the same every time) just based on the roster of what we have so far.

In no particular order:

Either just:ultluigi: OR Team up with :ultsonic: Vs. :ultmario: & :ultluigi: (Could be the final battle prior to Master Hand and/or whatever is the fighting team of the game)
:ultfox: (Battle between two pilot Foxes)
:ultdiddy:(Sidekicks)
:ultsonic: (Spar with Tails' Idol)
Ken (Since he's all but confirmed, both are best friends of their respective main character)
Either just :ultinkling: (New [To this game] kids on the block) or a battle for the best Aerial fighters with :ultkirby::ultjigglypuff: and :ultpit:

If you guys have other potential matches other then I've listed. Go ahead and shoot.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
For a quick change of pace, thought I'd mention what I'd choose for Tails' classic mode run (Given now it's predetermined for every character and will be the same every time) just based on the roster of what we have so far.

In no particular order:

Either just:ultluigi: OR Team up with :ultsonic: Vs. :ultmario: & :ultluigi: (Could be the final battle prior to Master Hand and/or whatever is the fighting team of the game)
:ultfox: (Battle between two pilot Foxes)
:ultdiddy:(Sidekicks)
:ultsonic: (Spar with Tails' Idol)
Ken (Since he's all but confirmed, both are best friends of their respective main character)
Either just :ultinkling: (New [To this game] kids on the block) or a battle for the best Aerial fighters with :ultkirby::ultjigglypuff: and :ultpit:

If you guys have other potential matches other then I've listed. Go ahead and shoot.
If Shadow gets in he could probably team up with Sonic to fight him, or just fight him alone

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Shadow gets in he could probably team up with Sonic to fight him, or just fight him alone
True, but Shadow's kind of got more in common with Sonic. And while fighting Shadow could be possible on Tails' route in classic mode. They don't interact too often in the games. (The closest we have recently is depending on your point of view the hilarious or controversial "Who's your daddy, Shadow!" line in Team Sonic Racing)

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Hey I forgot to mention, a while ago, Roger Craig Smith wished Colleen (Tails Sonic Boom Voice Actor) a happy birthday...so...

I wished her a happy birthday too, and said I hoped Tails makes it into Smash Ultimate...both Colleen and Roger liked my tweet...

https://twitter.com/DeclanDowns2/status/1041487517680316416?s=19

Don't know if that means anything but just mentioning it, also this was a while ago...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hey I forgot to mention, a while ago, Roger Craig Smith wished Colleen (Tails Sonic Boom Voice Actor) a happy birthday...so...

I wished her a happy birthday too, and said I hoped Tails makes it into Smash Ultimate...both Colleen and Roger liked my tweet...

Don't know if that means anything but just mentioning it, also this was a while ago...
Probably doesn't mean too much. Though this does bring up something. In Smash 4 and I think already confirmed for Ultimate to keep the Smash 4 sound clips. Sonic's voice are most if not all recycled clips from other games. If Tails is in (Or even Shadow in this case) are there enough sound clips to recycle lines given they haven't been playable as often as Sonic has?

I do think it is a bit of a shame Roger didn't get the chance to record his own lines for Sonic specifically for Smash like Jason did for Brawl. But while Shadow if he gets in probably at least has Sonic Forces lines, Tails may need the most additional voice work unless they for some reason recycled from Rise of Lyric and/or the Sonic Boom TV show because that's where most of Tails' current voice acting lines come from at this point.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I can't say it would, but I bet having them notice you would be pretty exciting in its own part.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
Probably doesn't mean too much. Though this does bring up something. In Smash 4 and I think already confirmed for Ultimate to keep the Smash 4 sound clips. Sonic's voice are most if not all recycled clips from other games. If Tails is in (Or even Shadow in this case) are there enough sound clips to recycle lines given they haven't been playable as often as Sonic has?

I do think it is a bit of a shame Roger didn't get the chance to record his own lines for Sonic specifically for Smash like Jason did for Brawl. But while Shadow if he gets in probably at least has Sonic Forces lines, Tails may need the most additional voice work unless they for some reason recycled from Rise of Lyric and/or the Sonic Boom TV show because that's where most of Tails' current voice acting lines come from at this point.
That's better than nothing, there's at the very least stuff to work with. And honesty, I know that if and when Tails drops, his background on the website has to be Windy Hill with either Emerald Hill or the stage theme during his character showcase video......

SonicMario

Smash Master
That's better than nothing, there's at the very least stuff to work with. And honesty, I know that if and when Tails drops, his background on the website has to be Windy Hill with either Emerald Hill or the stage theme during his character showcase video......
Either it will be Windy Hill (Which would make sense since he was in Lost World) or it would be Green Hill Zone at a different angle and an orange filter over it. (Which admittedly if Shadow is in, it's going to be awkward either way. Because either it's a black or red filter over Green Hill or Windy Hill. Both being games that Shadow were not in. And I doubt there's suddenly going to be a Sonic Forces or an Adventure 2 stage pop out of nowhere. We would of already seen it most likely)

And yeah the music for it would probably be Emearld Hill or if there's a shot of Sonic, Tails and the Knuckles assist trophy (Albeit the Knuckles AT is already in Sonic's video) they could do the Sonic Heroes theme as well.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I do think it is a bit of a shame Roger didn't get the chance to record his own lines for Sonic specifically for Smash like Jason did for Brawl.
Aww, we're not getting new Sonic lines? I miss "You're too slow!" That taunt with "Sonic Speed!" really doesn't cut it.

Absolutely! Even though I'm not a huge fan of Windy Hill since I don't know about the point gravity - it makes sense for Mario Galaxy, but just seems weird on a different stage. Still, we've got two stages returning for Sonic...Even Pac didn't get his second (and infinitely more iconic) stage to return.

Chemical Plant Zone song, though - that's be awesome! I'd rather a Chemical Plant stage than Windy Hill...

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Here's something to think of. If Green Hill gets a blog post mentioning how Knuckles and Silver appear in the background but Tails isn't mentioned whatsoever, along with pictures with Knucks and Silv's on the loop but no Tails that could open up the possibility of him being a fighter if that were to happen.
After a Blog Post accidentally revealing new info, isn't unheard of. Greninja's blog post has recently mentioned his Final Smash is Ash-Greninja.
I desperately hope this happens but it's unlikely.
Also, the more I think about, if Tails gets in he could really be a top tier.
-Mutiple Jumps/Flying
-Really fast and nimble.
-Most likely strong range(If he has his Robotic Arms from Sonic Battle)
-A projectile attack of some sort(most likely either his bombs or Arm Cannon)
-Potential for a grab similar to Links or Samus' with his Tether Ring from Tails Skypatrol.
-Freakish combos with his Tails Spin, Spin Dash or twirling his Tails in a propeller formation on his opponent.
Well I mean you can't say he doesn't have potential, thats for sure.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Here's something to think of. If Green Hill gets a blog post mentioning how Knuckles and Silver appear in the background but Tails isn't mentioned whatsoever, along with pictures with Knucks and Silv's on the loop but no Tails that could open up the possibility of him being a fighter if that were to happen.
After a Blog Post accidentally revealing new info, isn't unheard of. Greninja's blog post has recently mentioned his Final Smash is Ash-Greninja.
I desperately hope this happens but it's unlikely.
Also, the more I think about, if Tails gets in he could really be a top tier.
-Mutiple Jumps/Flying
-Really fast and nimble.
-Most likely strong range(If he has his Robotic Arms from Sonic Battle)
-A projectile attack of some sort(most likely either his bombs or Arm Cannon)
-Potential for a grab similar to Links or Samus' with his Tether Ring from Tails Skypatrol.
-Freakish combos with his Tails Spin, Spin Dash or twirling his Tails in a propeller formation on his opponent.
Well I mean you can't say he doesn't have potential, thats for sure.
The Sonic Rep in the Blog bugs me, wheres Green Hill? Where's Are Sonic Song? At least we got are boi Knucks a Blog Post.

Also, just talking about Sonic in general, who would be up for a Sonic Echo, but instead of Shadow...

*What I'm Made Of Music Plays*

HOW ABOUT METAL SONIC?!

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'd be more nervous about Green Hill going up because I think they'd more then likely mention all 3 on the loop and make it seem like they're deconfirmed. In some ways, Tails being in the background has not been officially acknowledged since none of the website's screenshots with Green Hill Zone have him. All there is, is the appearence in the demo and we've already said why that doesn't deconfirm him because it'd only be more suspicious if he was missing and it is a demo after all.

The Sonic Rep in the Blog bugs me, wheres Green Hill? Where's Are Sonic Song? At least we got are boi Knucks a Blog Post.

Also, just talking about Sonic in general, who would be up for a Sonic Echo, but instead of Shadow...

*What I'm Made Of Music Plays*

HOW ABOUT METAL SONIC?!
As surprising as it would be, Shadow's really the only choice for an echo. It just makes sense as someone requested for Smash a long while and fits every single criteria for echo fighters. Metal Sonic would be more Classic Sonic for the sake of Classic Sonic. Metal Sonic is popular but not Shadow popular.

I would love What I'm Made Of at least as a track though.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
The journey is far from over......

Made it this far....

Last edited:
Top Bottom