• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Why would you hope that it's the latter? Music theory being wrong and Pokemon rep being in the game as right would actually hurt Tails' chances right now.
Can you explain?

And I hope it's wrong because it would most likely deconfirm Incineroar, who I definitely want.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Can you explain?

And I hope it's wrong because it would most likely deconfirm Incineroar, who I definitely want.
Sonic is one of the few franchises left that has not gotten a song on the website which means they're potentially saving the Sonic music for a new character in the sonic franchise, specifically Tails.

Not to mention, it eliminates a competitor in the form of Pokemon, making it more likely to be Tails.

If the music theory is wrong and Incineroar is in the game, then that's one less theory supporting Tails now. Not only that, but it brings back even more competitors like Bandana Dee and Skull Kid back on the table.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sonic is one of the few franchises left that has not gotten a song on the website which means they're potentially saving the Sonic music for a new character in the sonic franchise, specifically Tails.

Not to mention, it eliminates a competitor in the form of Pokemon, making it more likely to be Tails.

If the music theory is wrong and Incineroar is in the game, then that's one less theory supporting Tails now.
Well, here's all the series that can still have fighters that don't have music yet, for reference:

Star Fox
Mother/Earthbound
Wario
Kid Icarus
Sonic
Xenoblade

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Music Theory is still correct (And either Verge got a bad source for the Pokemon choice or for the first time for this game at least is just dead wrong on a character) then all that's left would be Elma or a Unique/Semi-Clone Sonic character.

But that's kind of the sole reason I believe music theory is on it's way out. I want to believe it for the sake it now makes it as high as 50% for Tails (Or possibly 33.3% in the case Shadow is a semi-clone which might have some traction after Game explain's Jon's dealio)

But that's why it now feels like it's just too good for us to be true. I can't doubt Verge yet until he has actually gotten something wrong for this game.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Can you explain?

I'm with you on this one. I'd rather lose a fan theory than lose 'Roar. Tails' chance is unaffected regardless of the outcome anyway. The only thing we lose is a pattern.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Idk. Being filled with more competitors and one less theory to back up a reason for Tails being in the game does kinda suck.

Chrono.

Well, here's all the series that can still have fighters that don't have music yet, for reference:

Star Fox
Mother/Earthbound
Wario
Kid Icarus
Sonic
Xenoblade
I feel Star Fox is done, unless they go ahead and add Slippy, their biggest characters are ATs right now.

Mother is really unlikely I feel, especially since most of the Mother 2 and 3 party members are accounted. I don't see Duster making it in and Mother 1 getting characters is uh... Dubious.

With Ashley out, I can't see Wario getting a new character at this point

Kid Icarus could get Medusa or Viridi (or Hades?), whom I feel are likely-ish candidates for different reasons. Medusa is the OG villain and could probably work as an echo so she'd be easy enough to implement, Viridi is rather popular and she got a Mii Costume post ballot opening. But it's hard to say whether it was because she did well in the ballot or just because they wanted. Hades uhh... Idk, I don't see him, personally. But either way I think KI getting a new character is pretty unlikely all things considered.

Sonic is an interesting one because they're waiting a long time for him and we know it's getting at least two new songs. Not counting CV, all the other 3rd parties with new remixes got theirs posted pretty dang early. So I gotta wonder if the hold up means anything or if it's just that Sonic ended up so late just because. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it's an interesting case.

After Sonic, Xenoblade seems to be the likeliest to get a character. But there's no one it could really be other than Elma and... Idk, I was pretty confident about her before but now I'm not sure.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, today was a Pokemon song.

That means either we're not getting a Pokemon rep or the Music theory is wrong.
I mean it could be possible we might not get a new Pokemon rep since Pokemon Trainer and Pichu are returning.
We have a plot twist, or more likely, some huge doubt put in the Music theory now. We have Pokemon music already. The problem is unless Verge is wrong about there being a Pokemon rep at all then the theory may actually be busted. (Though it's possible they may take Pokemon music by generation, maybe a Gen 3 song at least deconfirms a Gen 3 Pokemon (So no Gardevoir) but not a Gen 7 one that would come with Incineroar later perhaps)

It's probably going to be a hot topic of debate (As if this community hasn't had enough debates between both the box and the blog theories though lol). People are going to say music theory is dead, but then some who have come to believe it fully because of how they delayed the Animal Crossing music for Isabelle will try to point that out. I admit I was kinda swooned over to believing it because of what was done for Isabelle. But now I think I'm right back to doubting it for now. It would be the first time Verge was dead wrong about a character for this game.
That Generation theory is plausible when I think about it. Wasn't the whole Gardevoir and Gothitelle thing debunked earlier back anyways.
If the music theory is dead then the Box theory should be dead too(IT'S A F####ING BOX). It's just a few empty slots and even then it can be changed anytime since it obviously isn't the Final Design. I honestly trust Vergeben more than a box. Even then, I don't believe the guy fully.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Seems like alot of people are thinking the music theory is wrong, I still believe it, well...to be fair a believed that Elma or Tails would make it (Elma because of not even want reasons) But are chances are getting slimmer and slimmer by the week.

I can't stress enough how much we need a Smash Direct, most likely October, let's hope October comes around soon!

SonicMario

Smash Master
If the music theory is dead then the Box theory should be dead too(IT'S A F####ING BOX). It's just a few empty slots and even then it can be changed anytime since it obviously isn't the Final Design. I honestly trust Vergeben more than a box. Even then, I don't believe the guy fully.
Music theory isn't connected to the box in that way.

If Music theory is wrong, it can still be just Ken and a Gen 7 Pokemon/Incineroar or any other unique/semi-clone newcomer.

If Music theory is right, it can still be Ken and Elma, Ken and Tails, or even Ken and Shadow (Who'd be a semi-clone/unique in this scenario). The gist of box theory was never specifically Incineroar, that was just putting the puzzle together with Vergeben's info. If you doubt Vergeben but still find the box & music theories both plausible, then that's the only scenario where you'd have to now believe a new pokemon isn't coming in the base game and we're instead getting either Elma or a non-echo Sonic character.

I'm still choosing to believe Verge over the music theory at this moment, but there is room for him to be wrong this one time possibly. And that slight chance that Verge is mistaken or misled by a bad source is Tails' only path to being playable in the base game.

Imagine the twist ending that indeed the box was correct but it works out for us because Ken and Tails are featured in something like a counter to King K. Rool's trailer called "The Friends" (I know I've mentioned this before in this thread but just repeating it anyway) and they are our final newcomers instead. It'd mean Shadow is still out but with Tails already in, Shadow could very well be like the poster boy for Echo Fighter DLC. (Though man the Sonic fanbase may be in civil war (...more then usual anyway) until that happens given how people were sure Shadow was going to make it)

I'm not counting on this happening but it's the only scenario where nearly all theories work out for Tails after all. It just unfortunately takes a leaker that has had a good track record thus far to finally get something dead wrong, the music theory still surviving after all, and the stars to align that Tails is picked instead of a 1st party character like Elma or isn't passed over by for Shadow as a semi-clone that now Game Explain's Jon has stoked the fires about even if it's just a prediction/guess.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Can I just come in and say this, don't bother trying to talk about the Music Theory with Incineroar fans, they won't listen.

There literally sucking off Vergeben because he's said that he'll be in, and that the music theory is wrong, but the Theory can't be wrong as NOTHING has been confirmed, do you see incineroar anywhere? No. I do feel bad for Geno fans as there has been no way the music theory has sided with them.

Imagine the twist ending that indeed the box was correct but it works out for us because Ken and Tails are featured in something like a counter to King K. Rool's trailer called "The Friends" (I know I've mentioned this before in this thread but just repeating it anyway) and they are our final newcomers instead. It'd mean Shadow is still out but with Tails already in, Shadow could very well be like the poster boy for Echo Fighter DLC. (Though man the Sonic fanbase may be in civil war (...more then usual anyway) until that happens given how people were sure Shadow was going to make it)
That would be ligitemaly funny, but it would be annoying for me as a Sonic fan as I'll literally see the Shadow Defense force wherever I go, and when they start harracing Sakurai, then I'm going for bodies.

Can I Say This Too...Super Smash Bros Fighter Ballot.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Here is the thing... taking the benefit of the doubt and saying most of the leaks are correct, I don't think the leakers even know 100% about the games. They may know some of the game but I believe Sakurai keeps other items close to his chest. There were leaks in the past for Brawl and Smash 4 that got most of the characters right but there were always surprises. A good example was Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt for Smash 4 which was out in left field or ROB in Brawl.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I'm torn in wanting Shadow but also Tails. I vote for both. Maybe both as semi-clones of Sonic that differ in different ways. I guess that'd be going down the :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: path though. But that isn't a bad thing, so it could be a solution!

Can I just come in and say this, don't bother trying to talk about the Music Theory with Incineroar fans, they won't listen.

There literally sucking off Vergeben because he's said that he'll be in, and that the music theory is wrong, but the Theory can't be wrong as NOTHING has been confirmed, do you see incineroar anywhere? No. I do feel bad for Geno fans as there has been no way the music theory has sided with them.

Must not be on here since you're posts are mostly all in this thread and the Incineroar thread is pretty chill even with the music upload, seriously other threads would of exploded with the stages of grief and anger and all that mess. Some support threads do that without news even coming along!!!

Personally the Pokemon music does throw one for a loop as it surely wasn't the one I was expecting (:ultfox:). There are possibilities of it still working out though, just to run a few by...

A. Most Verg and Gardevoir leak are true. Next week or so we'll get a double reveal showcasing both Incineroar and Gardevoir. All Gens are represented and Gen 7 gets a music upload then while Gen 3 got this week.

B. Our next direct is the big bang or sizzle of reveals. We're getting all the remaining fighters revealed so only one series can get the music spot that week. In addition Elma, Shadow/Tails, Medusa, and Kat & Ana are revealed so their series music also will be spread out around the reveal. So say we get all of these on the 11th, we may get Pokemon this week, Sonic next week, Xenoblade the week of, Kid Icarus week after, and Wario the two weeks later.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel Star Fox is done, unless they go ahead and add Slippy, their biggest characters are ATs right now.

Mother is really unlikely I feel, especially since most of the Mother 2 and 3 party members are accounted. I don't see Duster making it in and Mother 1 getting characters is uh... Dubious.

With Ashley out, I can't see Wario getting a new character at this point

Kid Icarus could get Medusa or Viridi (or Hades?), whom I feel are likely-ish candidates for different reasons. Medusa is the OG villain and could probably work as an echo so she'd be easy enough to implement, Viridi is rather popular and she got a Mii Costume post ballot opening. But it's hard to say whether it was because she did well in the ballot or just because they wanted. Hades uhh... Idk, I don't see him, personally. But either way I think KI getting a new character is pretty unlikely all things considered.

Sonic is an interesting one because they're waiting a long time for him and we know it's getting at least two new songs. Not counting CV, all the other 3rd parties with new remixes got theirs posted pretty dang early. So I gotta wonder if the hold up means anything or if it's just that Sonic ended up so late just because. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it's an interesting case.

After Sonic, Xenoblade seems to be the likeliest to get a character. But there's no one it could really be other than Elma and... Idk, I was pretty confident about her before but now I'm not sure.
Like you said, it's very unlikely we will get a Mother newcomer. But if we do get one, it would have to be either Porky Minch, Masked Man, or Ninten as a Echo.

I think Duster is going to be a Assist Trophy because of Jeff being a Assist Trophy and all the other Mother 2/3 party members being in Ness and Lucas's Final Smashes.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be really interesting if somehow Teddy, against all odds, got in.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

That would be ligitemaly funny, but it would be annoying for me as a Sonic fan as I'll literally see the Shadow Defense force wherever I go, and when they start harracing Sakurai, then I'm going for bodies.

Can I Say This Too...Super Smash Bros Fighter Ballot.
One could say that discussing the possibility of the Music Theory being false with Tails supporters is just as useless as they're "sucking off," as you put it, the fan theory. As you can see, a statement like that is rather condescending and disrespectful, I'd advise against such attacks on other fans.

The fact is that the Music Theory is just a fan-made notion based on perceived patterns. That's it, it's just something fans came up with because they think there's correlation between character reveals and uploaded music without any hard evidence to prove it either way. It really has no baring on who gets in or not, just which series looked, key word being "looked," more likely to get another character.

Tails is no better or worse with or without the theory. He's iconic, beloved and has enough going for him to be unique but also similar enough to take less resources to make. Just because the theory could be false doesn't make him any less likely, nor does it being true really guarantee he's in. Sakurai is the one with the final say, and he is known for subverting expectations.

Now, I say all this as a Tails supporter and an Incineroar fan who is skeptic of "leaks." I would appreciate this thread not devolved into attacking other fans just because the don't wish to buy into everything you may believe.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well whether ya'll like theories or not, it might be time to start believing the Box Theory since Sakurai himself came out and said this

“We announced Isabelle in the Nintendo Direct,” Sakurai wrote in his Weekly Famitsu column. “… however, it would be a mistake to think that the new character announcements will keep going [at this pace] until Smash Bros. releases. We may have been a little trigger-happy so we’ll be living modestly from here on out.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm still keeping expectations down mainly to the box anyway. Though Sakurai's words aren't explicit enough to say there's only 2 so the debate about the box will more then likely still rage on. It doesn't change what I feel about how many are left where even if 2 are not it there's at most 5 left.

Though now 5 might be too much because that means the next direct is just as much of a blowout as the August one and the words may imply there's less then that left. So maybe it's at most 3-4 now. But either way still not a lot left.

And unless Verge is wrong and/or the Music theory somehow still lives, Tails isn't one of them. But again, I've always felt Tails was a DLC candidate once "Everyone is here!" was announced. Some people who are thinking there may still be closer to 8 characters left are kind of forgetting some of the returning characters should very much count as new characters even if some of them are semi-cloned. Characters Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link are all still non-echoes so they likely had to be balanced just like Isabelle have. And then you have Snake and two of the 3 Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon. Not to mention the Thousands of changes that Sakurai mentioned would be done across all the characters that themselves had to be balanced.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Well whether ya'll like theories or not, it might be time to start believing the Box Theory since Sakurai himself came out and said this

“We announced Isabelle in the Nintendo Direct,” Sakurai wrote in his Weekly Famitsu column. “… however, it would be a mistake to think that the new character announcements will keep going [at this pace] until Smash Bros. releases. We may have been a little trigger-happy so we’ll be living modestly from here on out.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/
Source gaming has done their translation, but their site is dying at the moment, so they've let someone else post it elsewhere for those wanting to read it: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/178486295859

"…That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."

it only states that their slowing the pace of reveals, not that their won't be many more newcomers. it may have a similar connotation, but it's also not a definitive answer that confirms anything. so I'm not letting the famitsu column keep me down that much. though i'm still keeping my expectations low.
---
regardless of whether the music theory has held true or not, the lack of new Sonic music this far in is enough to keep my hopes up for Tails. Incineroar is my favorite Fire starter, so i wouldn't mind if he disproves the theory.

on another note, I think Tails has taken the spot of my most wanted character now. at first it was Chibi-Robo. but his lack of popularity in speculation and discussion has kind of dwindled my hopes for him making an appearance. and my other hopes seem to be longer shots than that. I've been thinking about his potential reveal this morning and it brought me so much joy just thinking about it. here's hoping it becomes a reality.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Source gaming has done their translation, but their site is dying at the moment, so they've let someone else post it elsewhere for those wanting to read it: http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/178486295859

"…That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."

it only states that their slowing the pace of reveals, not that their won't be many more newcomers. it may have a similar connotation, but it's also not a definitive answer that confirms anything. so I'm not letting the famitsu column keep me down that much. though i'm still keeping my expectations low.
---
regardless of whether the music theory has held true or not, the lack of new Sonic music this far in is enough to keep my hopes up for Tails. Incineroar is my favorite Fire starter, so i wouldn't mind if he disproves the theory.

on another note, I think Tails has taken the spot of my most wanted character now. at first it was Chibi-Robo. but his lack of popularity in speculation and discussion has kind of dwindled my hopes for him making an appearance. and my other hopes seem to be longer shots than that. I've been thinking about his potential reveal this morning and it brought me so much joy just thinking about it. here's hoping it becomes a reality.
If the music theory is real, then the remaining unique newcomers will be from Wario, Sonic, and Xenoblade. The other three franchises that don't have music shown that can have playable characters, Star Fox, Earthbound, and Kid Icarus, will probably get echoes.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
The clock is ticking for Tails, honestly. He may be my most wanted but we're nearing the end and it's likely we've only got a small handful of unique newcomers left. Incineroar is one, and if you buy the leaks then Steve and a SE character make three. Tails would have to edge out a lot of competition when Shadow is right on his tail in terms of popularity and has a leg up on ease of implementation.

Hate to say it, but it's looking like DLC.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah I'd be cool either way. Music theory being right? Tails actually has a shot at base game, though there could also be Elma left. Music theory being wrong? We likely finally get a playable cat (We have a good amount of dogs already, about time we have a cat of some sort) in Smash in the form of Incineroar and I do think him being a Wrestler would bring something interesting moveset wise even if most of my Pokemon knowledge is stuck in Gen 1, 2, and some of 3. And I'd still have DLC hopes for Tails unless for some reason he turns out to be a 2nd Sonic assist trophy.

And that's exactly how I've viewed Tails chances since E3 anyway.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I hate to fall into the "deserves" arguments, but if we're getting Ken, we really ought to have Tails.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Really, at this point, I'd rather have Tails in any capacity other than a background cameo. Yea, he may not be in the base game, and that's fair, we already have a huge and very impressive line up already, but really, the roster won't be "Ultimate" for me until Tails makes it, that's really the bottom line for me. Very Certain he's DLC however.

Honestly, I'm getting very bored of speculation, the Box Theory, The Music Theory, it's all annoying at this point, I just want everything else to be revealed or I'm just going Radio silent until it releases, until we get some REAL leaks/rumours or information, I'm just going to ground my thoughts into reality, and I'll say this, if Ken, Incineroar and a 2nd SE rep is left, then goodbye to Shadow, Elma, Skull Kid And Bandana Waddel Dee, it's so weird how everyone said that these characters were lock, and now look where we stand, in the ashes of Wanted Smash Characters...trying to find the finish line.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I hate to fall into the "deserves" arguments, but if we're getting Ken, we really ought to have Tails.
Should he make it in, nobody could argue that he didn't earn his place. Along with Luigi, Ken and Tails are the defacto Player 2 characters.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman

If Music theory is wrong, it can still be just Ken and a Gen 7 Pokemon/Incineroar or any other unique/semi-clone newcomer.

If Music theory is right, it can still be Ken and Elma, Ken and Tails, or even Ken and Shadow (Who'd be a semi-clone/unique in this scenario). The gist of box theory was never specifically Incineroar, that was just putting the puzzle together with Vergeben's info. If you doubt Vergeben but still find the box & music theories both plausible, then that's the only scenario where you'd have to now believe a new pokemon isn't coming in the base game and we're instead getting either Elma or a non-echo Sonic character.

I'm still choosing to believe Verge over the music theory at this moment, but there is room for him to be wrong this one time possibly. And that slight chance that Verge is mistaken or misled by a bad source is Tails' only path to being playable in the base game.

I'm not counting on this happening but it's the only scenario where nearly all theories work out for Tails after all. It just unfortunately takes a leaker that has had a good track record thus far to finally get something dead wrong, the music theory still surviving after all, and the stars to align that Tails is picked instead of a 1st party character like Elma or isn't passed over by for Shadow as a semi-clone that now Game Explain's Jon has stoked the fires about even if it's just a prediction/guess.

I know, I just find it annoying that people still find the box theory relevant.
Then again with all of these theories going around along with Vergeban, I guess I'm just a bit sick and tired of hearing all of it. I'm just a bit too tucked out. I know I'm not the only one here.

At this point, I don't know what to believe anymore. Not that I did that much anyways. The closest theory believed was the Blog theory and even then I took it with a megaton of salt. I don't even believe Sakurai, has lied about information to krep fans speculating and does go back on his words. (Man says not to expect too many new characters in the E3 Presentation and then reveal Ridley in the August Direct and then also reveals Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K. Rool in the August direct).
Trust nobody not even yourself I guess.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
fires about even if it's just a prediction/guess.
Then again with all of these theories going around along with Vergeban, I guess I'm just a bit sick and tired of hearing it. I know I'm not the only one here.

At this point, I don't know whatnto believe. Not that I did anyways. The closest theory beleived was the Blog theory and even then I took it with a megaton of salt. I don't even beleive Sakurai, has lied about information to krep fans speculating and does go back on his words. (Man says not to expect too many new characters in the E3 Presentation and then reveal Ridley in the August Direct and then also reveals Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K. Rool in the August direct).
Trust nobody not even yourself I guess.[/QUOTE]
He's not lying, though. Not counting echoes, we've only had like, five unique newcomers. Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, and Isabelle.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Should he make it in, nobody could argue that he didn't earn his place. Along with Luigi, Ken and Tails are the defacto Player 2 characters.
I definitely think he'd be as close as you can get to a character that would be light on Salt. Someone will complain for sure, but his history is extensive, and Sonic-related hate is generally targeted at characters that first appeared past the original trilogy.

If he's revealed before Shadow, some of his fans will be angry I'm sure,

volbound1700

Smash Master
The clock is ticking for Tails, honestly. He may be my most wanted but we're nearing the end and it's likely we've only got a small handful of unique newcomers left. Incineroar is one, and if you buy the leaks then Steve and a SE character make three. Tails would have to edge out a lot of competition when Shadow is right on his tail in terms of popularity and has a leg up on ease of implementation.

I would be happy with Tails as DLC or even have Knuckles and him back as a costume (improved costume with his actual face covering the Mii's face).

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Really, at this point, I'd rather have Tails in any capacity other than a background cameo. Yea, he may not be in the base game, and that's fair, we already have a huge and very impressive line up already, but really, the roster won't be "Ultimate" for me until Tails makes it, that's really the bottom line for me. Very Certain he's DLC however.

Honestly, I'm getting very bored of speculation, the Box Theory, The Music Theory, it's all annoying at this point, I just want everything else to be revealed or I'm just going Radio silent until it releases, until we get some REAL leaks/rumours or information, I'm just going to ground my thoughts into reality, and I'll say this, if Ken, Incineroar and a 2nd SE rep is left, then goodbye to Shadow, Elma, Skull Kid And Bandana Waddel Dee, it's so weird how everyone said that these characters were lock, and now look where we stand, in the ashes of Wanted Smash Characters...trying to find the finish line.
Honestly, I hope Tails at least just gets a Mii costume and that's it. If there's DLC then that could give him a chance at least. However, if there is no DLC then I'm alright with an Assist Trophy. Also, if Shadow isn't in the base game either, that gives a possible chance that he can get bundled with Tails.
I will say this however, I still believe Tails can be in the Base Game. I know for a fact Tails and Knuckles got more votes then Shadow in the Smash Ballot.
It would be completely wrong to ignore the fact that Tails did get more votes then Shadow, only to put him in instead to appeal to the Shadow Fans. I know Shadow would be easier to develop as an Echo, but Ridley who was more of a requested fighter then Dark Samus(Who would be easy for an Echo) was revealed before her. Same with King K. Rool and Dixie. K. Rool was a more requested character and Dixie would have been easy to develop as an Echo. Guess who got revealed before? Or not even before really, because we don't know if Dixie will even be in the game yet. But you all get my point here. The same thing could apply to Tails.

[/QUOTE]
Then again with all of these theories going around along with Vergeban, I guess I'm just a bit sick and tired of hearing it. I know I'm not the only one here.

At this point, I don't know whatnto believe. Not that I did anyways. The closest theory beleived was the Blog theory and even then I took it with a megaton of salt. I don't even beleive Sakurai, has lied about information to krep fans speculating and does go back on his words. (Man says not to expect too many new characters in the E3 Presentation and then reveal Ridley in the August Direct and then also reveals Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K. Rool in the August direct).
Trust nobody not even yourself I guess.
He's not lying, though. Not counting echoes, we've only had like, five unique newcomers. Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, and Isabelle.[/QUOTE]
Eh..... it's a technicality I guess. The Smash website does count 72 characters with all the Echo Fighters.
I do get your point though. I, however, don't really know. Sakurai is a unpreidctable person, so even I don't know to believe Sakurai when he puts out information.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Honestly, I hope Tails at least just gets a Mii costume and that's it. If there's DLC then that could give him a chance at least. However, if there is no DLC then I'm alright with an Assist Trophy. Also, if Shadow isn't in the base game either, that gives a possible chance that he can get bundled with Tails.
I will say this however, I still believe Tails can be in the Base Game. I know for a fact Tails and Knuckles got more votes then Shadow in the Smash Ballot.
It would be completely wrong to ignore the fact that Tails did get more votes then Shadow, only to put him in instead to appeal to the Shadow Fans. I know Shadow would be easier to develop as an Echo, but Ridley who was more of a requested fighter then Dark Samus(Who would be easy for an Echo) was revealed before her. Same with King K. Rool and Dixie. K. Rool was a more requested character and Dixie would have been easy to develop as an Echo. Guess who got revealed before? Or not even before really, because we don't know if Dixie will even be in the game yet. But you all get my point here. The same thing could apply to Tails.
He's not lying, though. Not counting echoes, we've only had like, five unique newcomers. Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, Simon, and Isabelle.[/QUOTE]
Eh..... it's a technicality I guess. The Smash website does count 72 characters with all the Echo Fighters.
I do get your point though. I, however, don't really know. Sakurai is a unpreidctable person, so even I don't know to believe Sakurai when he puts out information.[/QUOTE]

I also think people misinterpret Sakurai a lot. The guy is probably just trying to calm down crazy expectations that have 90 or more characters in the base game.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Tails' weakness was that he didn't get a lot of attention in forums (like this one) until the Smash Ultimate announcement (and really the Richter announcement). I was around for Smash 4 and Tails wasn't talked about a lot. He is getting a lot of attention now and it is clear everyone wants him but it might be too late from a game development standpoint. DLC is his best chance.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
I think Tails' weakness was that he didn't get a lot of attention in forums (like this one) until the Smash Ultimate announcement (and really the Richter announcement). I was around for Smash 4 and Tails wasn't talked about a lot. He is getting a lot of attention now and it is clear everyone wants him but it might be too late from a game development standpoint. DLC is his best chance.
True, but I know that aton of people wanted Tails in Smash since Melee, and while that it seems he was popular during Ultimate, we can't forget that people just didn't mention anything, they would of liked him in the game, it's just that they weren't vocal until Smash 4 DLC, yes, I believe this Tails wave (Big wave I might add) started when the ballot started, there is no doubt about that, which helps us know he might of beat Shadow, Knuckles and Dr Eggman in the Sonic Category. We just have to wait and see.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
He may not have been talked about much here back then, but I certain he performed better due to the casual players. We weren't the only ones voting and I'm sure the actual ballot results don't quite match up with all those fan polls.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I will admit this, I didn't think much about Tails during the Smash 4 days. Mostly due to Shadow outnumbering his chances back then until he was confirmed an Assist. Even then I really liked Blaze a lot back then(Though Blaze would be pretty freaking cool for a Smash character). It wasn't until I started playing SSF2 and the Smash Ballot where I really got into supporting him.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Also, pre-Richter, third parties getting a second character did not seem on the table to as many people.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah, I will admit this, I didn't think much about Tails during the Smash 4 days. Mostly due to Shadow outnumbering his chances back then until he was confirmed an Assist. Even then I really liked Blaze a lot back then(Though Blaze would be pretty freaking cool for a Smash character). It wasn't until I started playing SSF2 and the Smash Ballot where I really got into supporting him.
Shadow and Tails pretty much had the same chances in Smash 4. That is, pretty non-existent. Since I don't think 2nd 3rd party franchise reps were on the table. Now in Ultimate they are regardless if our only confirmed or near-confirmed examples are echoes like Richter and Ken. Shadow should definitely be the pick for a Sonic echo, but if Sonic can get more then that with a semi-clone like Isabelle then that's gotta be Tails.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It’s amazing how many fanrules Tails (and others) are getting hit by, and I’m sure that affected their ballot placement.

Ask anyone before Sm4sh, and no third party company could get a second character, let alone a second from an individual franchise. After Sm4sh DLC, the company rule was gone, but there wasn’t a second franchise rep.

Shadow probably had his votes stunted the same way Midna/Skull Kid/etc. did: they’re already in the game so it’s not worth it to vote them. But that was just a fanrule. I’m sure Tails votes were stunted since “we already have a Sonic character so you’re just throwing your vote away.”

Even now, there are people who say the rule is “no third party franchise can get a second unique character; it has to be an echo.”

I really don’t know what to expect for a second Sonic character. Shadow’s more popular in the Sonic fandom, but Tails is more recognizable on the outside. Shadow had the assist, and Tails had a costume, so these both point different ways...maybe we’ll get lucky with both for DLC.

I wonder what Sakurai thinks of that EGM hoax. Does he know about it?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It’s amazing how many fanrules Tails (and others) are getting hit by, and I’m sure that affected their ballot placement.

Ask anyone before Sm4sh, and no third party company could get a second character, let alone a second from an individual franchise. After Sm4sh DLC, the company rule was gone, but there wasn’t a second franchise rep.

Shadow probably had his votes stunted the same way Midna/Skull Kid/etc. did: they’re already in the game so it’s not worth it to vote them. But that was just a fanrule. I’m sure Tails votes were stunted since “we already have a Sonic character so you’re just throwing your vote away.”

Even now, there are people who say the rule is “no third party franchise can get a second unique character; it has to be an echo.”

I really don’t know what to expect for a second Sonic character. Shadow’s more popular in the Sonic fandom, but Tails is more recognizable on the outside. Shadow had the assist, and Tails had a costume, so these both point different ways...maybe we’ll get lucky with both for DLC.

I wonder what Sakurai thinks of that EGM hoax. Does he know about it?
It really is astounding how many times the goalposts have been moved by the fans. Honestly, I think pretty much anything goes as long as the demand is strong enough and Sakurai sees something worth making a fighter from. I do think interactive NPC roles do have some hindrance, as Sakurai has stated that they are adequate representation and probably doesn't want to confuse players, but there's no concrete evidence either way.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do highly believe that if the the goalpost move from "3rd parties can't get 2nd franchise reps" to "They can but they can only be echoes" are broken at any point in this game's lifetime it will be Tails. As all the other options hardly got any requests for Smash and/or the series itself just isn't as popular as Sonic is overall.

Metal Gear could get Raiden I guess but I don't think he's been requested that often. At most I think Snake gets like Big Boss as an echo or something. And i doubt that happens either

All of Mega Man's options for both echoes and other franchise reps seem covered by Bass and Proto Man in his FInal Smash and Zero as an Assist Trophy

The only solid Pac-Man possibility is Ms. Pac-Man. Who could easily just be an alt/echo if we really have to have her.

Street Fighter is literally one of the few that could feasibly get a 2nd non-echo character. Probably Chun Li, but I don't think she comes in before Tails.

Final Fantasy on paper should have PLENTY of options for more then just Cloud across all Final Fantasies. But Square seems so stingy. If Final Fantasy have been given more music, mii costumes, trophies, etc. I could see an argument that a 2nd Final Fantasy character comes before Tails like one that represents more so the Final Fantasies that were on Nintendo systems like Terra from FF6 or even have a party of 3-4 characters of some of the classic characters (Black Mage, Ninja, White Mage, etc.) that work like the Pokemon Trainer. If it's restricted to just FF7 (The logo for FF7 is currently the one being used on the website), Tifa and Sephiroth also would make interesting choices.

Bayonetta already still has the Jeanne alt so I don't think Bayonetta's getting an echo, most certainly not a non-echo character either.

And lastly, while Castlevania kinda surprised us at being the first franchise to get more then one character. Options for it getting a non-echo are kinda sparse after Alucard was made an Assist Trophy. I think Alucard would undoubtedly be the #1 choice for a non-echo Castlevania rep. And there's not much else that would compete.

Top Bottom