• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think we need a Samus tech compilation video(not a combo vid)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI&feature=related

You see that^? I think we need something like that for Samus. I bring this up because i get PMs/VMs and AIM messages from people saying things like Missle Cancelling is too hard or Zair through stage is near impossible....ect. Anyways, im willing to make one if you guys think it would help you/others. Give me a list of things that are pretty much Samus specific and ill record it and make a video like you viewed up top.

Xyro77

i have vids of various techs online too but none of that matters now. im gonna do a full all-out tech video.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Well if you want to have ALL techs in the video i guess i will list some off the top of my head:
Missle Canceling
Missle Canceling combinations (FHDM, triple missles, etc.)
Zairing through stage
Tether Cancel
Instant Tether Ledge Grab
Reverse Instant Tether Ledge Grab
Instant and Reverse Instant Tether ledge grab-cancel
Raigoth Bomb-cancel
Spider Ball
Low CS
Triple bair jump

Uh, that is all i can list at the moment really

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't sure if anyone else knew about it, but if not, i guess i discovered a new tech lol.
When using bair, Samus is able to jump a third time before hitting the ground after her double jump, similar to Bowser's infinite jump, but i have only been able to get it to three jumps.
To get the third jump, i found that you must shbair>dj>bair>bair, and after the third bair, Samus is able to jump again and use any aerial.

IYM!

Smash Lord
well, time ago i watch a video of a player called Hizu plague (i think he was the creator of the video) who made a guide very similar at the Izaw guide "The Art of Link"

In the samus guide he explain how to do Zair (how to make it in the correctly way), missile cancel, flame thrower slide, DI Zair recovery and others usefull tricks. Sadly i cant find the video in Youtube (maybe he erase it) so i cant give you the link :(

But in Youtube are another guide, "Missile taming 1 and 2", is a very good guide IMO and at least was usefull for me, so i want to share with you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAgkv6uiYhY

Maybe , this guide could be some "basic" for you guys, but you can get some ideas for the guide than you want make :)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm willing to help with anything :)
Just give the word.

^Ignore this guy.

Can someone expand upon Dragon's list so me and Xyro can get to work?

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I also forgot something.

There is also the Screw Attack reset on some stages.
I also want to ask something. Xyro asked for Samus-specific ATs. Well there is still Jab-canceling, and while that isn't character specific, the options out of it are technically specific to Samus, plus her jab is fairly unique.

Xyro77

I also forgot something.

There is also the Screw Attack reset on some stages.
I also want to ask something. Xyro asked for Samus-specific ATs. Well there is still Jab-canceling, and while that isn't character specific, the options out of it are technically specific to Samus, plus her jab is fairly unique.
Her jab is HORRIBLE and jab cancel is not unigue unless u consider jab cancel to d tilt unique then ill accept that.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say that it was good or terrible (terrible though btw), but her jab does have its own unique properties to itself since it has the weird push property. And yes, buffer options would be unique to samus out of a jab-cancel such as jab>grab or jab>CS, granted those require good prediction and are situational. Also worth noting that Samus can perform any aerial twice out of a short hop aside from dair, but you can double dair from a short hop, but you can't perform dair after any OTHER aerial aside from another dair out of a short hop.

*Edit*

Scratch that. Out of a short hop only, Samus can not perform fair or dair twice before landing. However, uair, nair, and bair can all be performed twice from a short hop, and can even be mixed up like SHUair>Nair and such.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
^
Lol?

Lawl, anyway, i just remembered 5 more ATs

Bomb-jumping (don't know HOW i missed that)
Reverse CS
CS through stage
Run-off reverse CS through stage (Thanks to Xyro for reminding me through his matches with Illmatic)
Also, since this is Samus specific, there is the forced grab release on certain characters we discussed before.

It is also worth noting that Samus has a good wall jump as far as wall-jumps go.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been posting allot because of my laptop broke (again >_>) but anyways.

Good idea, it would deff help some new coming Samus players out. I have one more addition to the list, if it's already noted don't mind what I say. The Bomb lay platform cancel. Now I didn't find this out myself, KJ did and he told me about it. It works best on BF, since the bomb doesn't roll off the platform there. At the same cancel hight as the normal platform cancel, drop a bomb. If done correctly you will see a bomb laying on the platform without bouncing. The opponent will drop off the platform if the bomb hits, which we can punish with a jab-lock or a Screw Shot (thank to KJ again for the punishes). The rolling animation is also shortened if you perform this. If this is un-important or anything like that then please ignore me by all means. Maybe we should have something about buffering too, since Smash Missile > Buffered Dash attack works as a nice mindgame sometimes.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Did someone mention the AT where you run off the stage into a bomb and go straight down (diagonally) instead of getting the initial jump like usual? I'm not sure EXACTLY what it's called.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Did someone mention the AT where you run off the stage into a bomb and go straight down (diagonally) instead of getting the initial jump like usual? I'm not sure EXACTLY what it's called.
Is that even possible? Do you mean that when lay the bomb you roll on the stage or isn't that what you're talking about? Even so, it could be a nice gimmick, I'll try it out ASAP.

EDIT: Nvm, I did it right now. We could put it in the video as the visual aid/follow-ups for it...

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
No it's not the roll on the stage.

You run off, immediately use bomb, you'll travel in a 315 degree angle off the right edge or 225 degree angle off the left edge, and your bomb will go straight down. You won't have the initial bounce, so it'll feel faster.

It can be useful for gimping bad recoveries/canceling recoveries into a double jump Dair.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
We could also use the edge missile cancel if the video, just when you're about to go off the edge use the missile. You'll fall off with the missile animation without missile, it works as a pretty nice mindgame. If you hold back after pressing side-b you'll drop back onto the stage whilst going off before. You can also do a Nair while holding back, it'll put your opponents under the ledge at FD.

EDIT: If you replace the Nair with an Uair you'll still get the hitbox onto the stage but only the first 2/3 hits, mindgames/combos anyone?

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
What Smash G 0 D mentioned is a variation of the spider ball AT.

If your opponent is offstage you shouldn't really be trying to mindgame them at that point. You SHOULD be setting up for the gimp or edgeguard.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
What Smash G 0 D mentioned is a variation of the spider ball AT.

If your opponent is offstage you shouldn't really be trying to mindgame them at that point. You SHOULD be setting up for the gimp or edgeguard.
Could you describe the spider ball for me?

And that's irrelevant - if it's an option and an AT, it deserves a section xP

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Spider ball is laying a bomb near or right off the edge and then holding the control stick back, different timings give you different spider ball effects. You can use the bomb off-stage and hold back onto the stage so that you are moving backwards on the ground while the morph ball is moving forward. Another timing is laying a bomb right before going off the edge then holding back. the morph ball is rolling foward but you are sticking to the ground in one place right at the edge and the bomb you laid is actually laid on the stage's edge. The third type is the one you described.

It actually is relevant because that would technically fall under MCing tricks, with some mix-ups, more mindgame than ATs

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Spider Ball is a less-than-useful AT that should rarely be used and hardely ever works. I have only seen it work in very few situations. The kind you described is actually the most useful (still not very useful at all though) since it places you below the stage where you can set up for a dair spike, especially if the bomb actually hits someone

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
We can also show people how easy it is to DI out of our Usmash, so they feel like complete n00bs at every instance they took all the hits.

Mechmainiac

Smash Cadet
OFF TOPIC: Wow I wish I could put some stuff in this conversation but I dont really play this game but knowing the rest of these tricks would really up my game

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
you will include the hypern (i said it good?) Upsmash on the video????
Hyphen is horrible. Why? Because it's Usmash.

I'd find something like Spider Ball a bit more useful, and that's mad useless, outside of gimp setups :/
We could also include some of the research Xyro did with Diddy's Bananas.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Hyphen smash is bad with Samus because her usmash is bad. All Samus's hyphen does is give you a slightly higher chance of getting the last hit in.
A hyphen smashe's usefulness soley depends on the the usage of the characters usmash. Samus's is bad so her hyphen is bad, while fox's usmash is fantastic so his hyphen is fantastic...if not a bit predictable at times.
Hyphen smash is not Samus specific so i doubt that Xyro would want it included.

@LP: Dude, someone else i know on a different site has that exact same theme going (not specifically the same banner or anything) Lucky Star ftw?

Oh, i just remembered. You guys remembered those two certain videos ZeroL posted in the critique thread? Well, the trip-roll thing we all noticed still intrigues me so perhaps we could include that as well possibly?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Well if you want to have ALL techs in the video i guess i will list some off the top of my head:
Missle Canceling
Missle Canceling combinations (FHDM, triple missles, etc.)
Zairing through stage
Tether Cancel
Instant Tether Ledge Grab
Reverse Instant Tether Ledge Grab
Instant and Reverse Instant Tether ledge grab-cancel
Raigoth Bomb-cancel
Spider Ball
Low CS
Triple bair jump

Uh, that is all i can list at the moment really
IF your running charge charge shot comes out faster than if your standing still.
Tether hogging?(Instead of trying to get invincibility frames for the edge hog, just grab the edge with the tether, works wonders against ZSS, Zelda/Sheik)
Jab Cancelling
Shield dashing, and all of it's uses.
Uh, I can't think of any more, I did have one other one, but It's 3 AM here, I need sleep.

Top Bottom