• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need to stop dodging/dodge rolling so much

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Too situational of a question to answer without context.
K, when I play brawl, I get that false sense of security that rolling = safe. I know it's not true, but I do it by instinct which gets me killed when people read me. I'm trying to stop doing it so much, because it causes death to Altrox

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
What I mean is, there are some times when rolling/dodging are called for, and there are characters that benefit more from one and/or the other. For example, characters like Yoshi and Link have unbelievably horrible rolls, but extremely good spot dodges, whereas characters like Lucario have amazing rolls. And other characters don't do much of either.

And that's not factoring the countless matchup, stage, and situational scenarios you might encounter. It's not just a matter of "don't roll/dodge," it's a matter of "Is it appropriate to roll/dodge in this situation?" And that's a question that can't always be answered.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
What I mean is, there are some times when rolling/dodging are called for, and there are characters that benefit more from one and/or the other. For example, characters like Yoshi and Link have unbelievably horrible rolls, but extremely good spot dodges, whereas characters like Lucario have amazing rolls. And other characters don't do much of either.

And that's not factoring the countless matchup, stage, and situational scenarios you might encounter. It's not just a matter of "don't roll/dodge," it's a matter of "Is it appropriate to roll/dodge in this situation?" And that's a question that can't always be answered.
I know there's a time to roll. I just can't figure out when. I think I overdo it

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Rolling behind your opponent is generally bad, because most characters have a way to punish it. However, there are certain times where it's good, like for example: You're sheilding a character's standard A combo, and they have a lot of ending lag for that attack, so you roll behind and grab.

Really though, no one can tell you for each character, stage, etc., when you should roll and when you shouldn't. And some people, as aforementioned, have better dodges than others. Lucario's roll is pretty good, Peach's airdodge is horrible, etc. etc.

But generally, rolling as an approach is bad.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
People are making this difficult.

Just tell yourself not to do it. If you stay aware about it and try to ix it, it will happen. Fixing habbits can only take a few days, perfecting them may take a week or two. Just keep trying.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Turn your shield buttons to grab/ jump or something instead of shield. Like Bobson said.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Use Lucario.

Dash > Roll in many situations.
Dash doesn't have invincibility frames, nor can it be done out of shield. Also, rolling is usually faster than the initial dash, iirc.
Turn your shield buttons to grab/ jump or something instead of shield. Like Bobson said.
But then you're playing without a shield, and without an airdodge, and that is NOT smart.

But seriously, just play some competent Snake/Ike/DK/Falcon/Ganon/King Dedede users. If they're worth their salt, they'll break you out of that habit realquick.

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
As stated before, set your shield buttons to jump, this will discourage hitting those buttons. Typically this will get you punished (that is, randomly jumping in the air, expecting a shield).

This will improve your spacing game, a lot. At least in theory, because instead of blocking/rolling away or through/air dodging all of those attacks you are forced to find other ways around this. The only way now is to space correctly and not get hit - or get hit and space incorrectly.

This is great for people who main characters without projectiles and have games revolving around excellent spacing, like Marth or DK. Since theirgame basically consists of making smart decisions and spacing well (amongst other things).

Do this with a friend for a few hours, then go back to normal play. Switch back and forth periodically. I recommend this to a lot of people, simply to improve spacing and discourage rolling/shielding in general.

Note: Don't do this against someone who will spam projectiles at you, that obviously, will not be any fun.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I suggest jumping for approach, and roll for retreat in most situations. I used to have that problem, but ever since I discovered short hopping and started playing competitively, I've had problems with jumping too often. The best thing you can do is to keep practicing, and try jumping more for attacks, and rolling more for defense.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Just try to stop yourself from doing it as a habit.

It should be a conscious decision every time you do it. That's the only way it will become beneficial.

The Yeti

Smash Cadet
As stated before, set your shield buttons to jump, this will discourage hitting those buttons. Typically this will get you punished (that is, randomly jumping in the air, expecting a shield).

This will improve your spacing game, a lot. At least in theory, because instead of blocking/rolling away or through/air dodging all of those attacks you are forced to find other ways around this. The only way now is to space correctly and not get hit - or get hit and space incorrectly.

This is great for people who main characters without projectiles and have games revolving around excellent spacing, like Marth or DK. Since theirgame basically consists of making smart decisions and spacing well (amongst other things).

Do this with a friend for a few hours, then go back to normal play. Switch back and forth periodically. I recommend this to a lot of people, simply to improve spacing and discourage rolling/shielding in general.

Note: Don't do this against someone who will spam projectiles at you, that obviously, will not be any fun.
extremely interesting idea... i like it. i have a friend that rolls and spot dodges too much, perhaps i'll suggest this to him.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
But then you're playing without a shield, and without an airdodge, and that is NOT smart.
Its not like you do this DURING a game that matters to you or anything...
But I honestly have no idea how I got rid of this habit.... It just vanished...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
K, when I play brawl, I get that false sense of security that rolling = safe. I know it's not true, but I do it by instinct which gets me killed when people read me. I'm trying to stop doing it so much, because it causes death to Altrox
Find a specific trigger for your habit. It could be multiple triggers but it's easier to break if you know more than "rolling = safe." Do you always roll in a specific situation? Such as if your opponent is behind you, or if something touches your shield, or if your opponent is using projectiles? If you're not sure what triggers it, record yourself playing or ask one of the opponents who causes death to Altrox.. :p If they're reading you, it means that something (or many things) specific is triggering it, and you need to find something else to do in that situation and/or how to avoid being in that situation. (easier said than done, but the reason they are habits is because they're hard to break)

Play against my Ike/Snake and I'll break the habit for you...
Are you good at breaking people's habits (other than rolling)? I might take you up on that offer if you are. :p

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
I have the same problem. i spend all my time trying to Perfect Shield now, though.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
I'm sure someone else has already suggested this, but I've had the same problem with spamming my roll, sometimes to where I'd approach with it, and the best solution is to try to jump whenever you want to approach. Go for Short-Hop attacks instead of rolling and then trying to grab/smash or whatever you do after you've teleported across the ground 7 times.

On an unrelated note, I just saw your Avatar. HOLY-SHELL! PEOPLE ACTUALLY TAKE PICTURES LIKE THAT! OH MY GOSH!

:flame:

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Guys, its really really simple.

Just have a friend sit next to you when you play, and instruct him to punch you really hard in the arm every time you press a shield/dodge/roll button.

If that doesn't stop you...get a tougher friend.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Well dont ever use it for about a week. You may lose every match. But it will get rid of the habit. That what I did. I still roll a lot but im more aware of the patterns I roll in. Now I use that to my advantage by mind gaming opponents.

Vader

Smash Rookie
i'll have to agree with auroreon,

Start playing somebody like Yoshi who has a below average roll, you'll learn eventually

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Play C.Falcon, set your shield buttons to specials and see how it works.
Pushing shield = Pauwnch, FK, RB or Up-B, which are all VERY punishable.
Playing Falcon also forces you to space without too much lag i.e. don't roll, run/foxtrot/runaway from an attack then punish with Raptor Boost. Try it

kozuu

Smash Rookie
It's always good to shout that you're going to dodge roll, but actually don't. :)

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
i had this same prob before, and my friends have this prob too. I just tryed, instead of dodge try just run. it works just run back away from ur opponent, not into. thats stupid. also jump, dodge sometimes but not all the time.

Top Bottom