• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
Oh for the people asking about the Switch on the shelf thing, it's still in play apparently. I believe it is a deflection.

My friend reached out to the person who "claims" the Nintendo/Microsoft collaboration to be a thing.

And he STILL claims it to be "still a thing"

Though I asked my same friend about the book behind the Switch is. And have him asked about that book having any meaning towards the Switch. And well...

Though the collab could mean anything in range between fighter or game. Depends really. But I'm glad this collab is still a thing. I hope it's Chief as a Smash fighter :D

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Leaks/rumors have been so dry lately. Its crazy to think we had a pretty well-known leaker say Cheif was coming at E3 and there's been nothing since.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I got Halo MCC on Steam for $20 during a sale, and I'm chronologically going through the campaign. As in, I'm starting with Reach and working my way through until Halo 4. Reach's gameplay feels pretty fun. It took a while to get used to the keyboard controls (There were a couple of times where I accidentally killed myself with a misthrown plasma grenade trying to pick up my weapons, for example), but I got the hang of it. I'm currently at the 3rd portion of Reach's campaign (The one where you start with a sniper rifle), and the difficulty feels just right. For reference, I'm playing on Normal mode.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So I got Halo MCC on Steam for $20 during a sale, and I'm chronologically going through the campaign. As in, I'm starting with Reach and working my way through until Halo 4. Reach's gameplay feels pretty fun. It took a while to get used to the keyboard controls (There were a couple of times where I accidentally killed myself with a misthrown plasma grenade trying to pick up my weapons, for example), but I got the hang of it. I'm currently at the 3rd portion of Reach's campaign (The one where you start with a sniper rifle), and the difficulty feels just right. For reference, I'm playing on Normal mode.
Just giving you fair warning...

Halo 1 was the very first game in this series. There was hardware limitation and time constraint that resulted in repetitive level design. Besides repetitive level design, Halo campaign still brings engaging and atmospheric gameplay imo. And, if you just want to have fun, I recommend avoiding Halo 2 legendary... coughJackalsnipercough

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think the Halo Community Director making the tweet about wanting Chief in Smash deconfirms him? I'm trying to prove to my friend that the tweet doesn't deconfirm him by using the MC Community Director's tweet which people thought was a deconfirmation for Steve. You guys have any idea what I should say.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Do you guys think the Halo Community Director making the tweet about wanting Chief in Smash deconfirms him? I'm trying to prove to my friend that the tweet doesn't deconfirm him by using the MC Community Director's tweet which people thought was a deconfirmation for Steve. You guys have any idea what I should say.

1626749120272.png

This should answer your question.
Yes, the same community director.
Yes, he said this during FP2.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Just giving you fair warning...

Halo 1 was the very first game in this series. There was hardware limitation and time constraint that resulted in repetitive level design. Besides repetitive level design, Halo campaign still brings engaging and atmospheric gameplay imo. And, if you just want to have fun, I recommend avoiding Halo 2 legendary... coughJackalsnipercough
Oh yeah, that hallway in Mombasa is a nightmare

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Random but I remember back during the Brawl days that there were 3 “legendary” characters who were deemed to be impossible. Cloud, Sephiroth & Master Chief. We have the first two now, obviously. I wonder if Sakurai & the Smash team knew of these discussions. Maybe it could’ve swayed them into getting Chief into Smash.

UbisoftDanny2000

Smash Cadet
Seeing Chief would be great and the setting of Halo would make for a great level, for example there could be Banshees in it. His alternate could be The Arbiter since they use thesame guns. You could actually used to be able to play as the Elites in the old Halo games but not anymore. Having some one like Chief, Sam Fisher or The Doom Slayer would be cool to show off the old school shooter kinds of video games to the Smash audience who might not of had an Xbox.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Flighting could potentially start next weekend

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

This is an interesting tidbit! It’s good news for us since it helps to show he’s not some obscure “literally who?” in Japan.

Baba

Smash Journeyman

This is an interesting tidbit! It’s good news for us since it helps to show he’s not some obscure “literally who?” in Japan.
I think Master Chief is one of those characters where even non-fans can't really deny his popularity.

Dragon Quest isn't as big in the west and I'm not a fan of the series, but I can't deny how huge of an addition Hero was. I would have preferred someone else, but I can't be upset about his inclusion because it makes sense.
I think that people in Japan, even if they aren't fans of Halo, have to be aware of how much of an icon he is over here.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think Master Chief is one of those characters where even non-fans can't really deny his popularity.

Dragon Quest isn't as big in the west and I'm not a fan of the series, but I can't deny how huge of an addition Hero was. I would have preferred someone else, but I can't be upset about his inclusion because it makes sense.
I think that people in Japan, even if they aren't fans of Halo, have to be aware of how much of an icon he is over here.
Yep, he's one of the characters that are the faces of Western gaming

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Flighting begins Thursday and lasts until Sunday, the emails are rolling out slowly

The showcase for the flight content is tomorrow

If you signed up for Halo Insider then good luck getting in

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Yeah, I think they’d be understanding of the choice. Maybe Sakurai can nail down the point by directly comparing Halo to Dragon Quest in Chief’s presentation.

Also, I got into the Flighting! I’m so excited!

Baba

Smash Journeyman
New gameplay we saw today looked nice. It feels good to be excited about Halo again.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think it's nice to see how newcomer-friendly Infinite is shaping out to be. People who are new to Halo gets to experiment weapons that they never get to test besides campaign can experience the weapons in multiplayer style.

I think there is still untapped potential for A.I customization. There should like session with A.I where A.I will show up in hologram and giving advice. Imagine user-crafted A.I like how Minecraft encourages user-crafted contents.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
F*** the music is getting me so excited! Halo welcome back! Really makes me want Chief in Smash now. If not, we have infinite

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
So Vergeben and who else leaked Master Chief?
King zell who is 100x more credible than vergeben. He's predicted a lot of things which makes him very accurate. He never said if chief was coming to smash but he heavily hinted at something related to Halo coming to the switch . Whether its chief in smash or MCC coming to the switch, it will be one of those.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
King zell who is 100x more credible than vergeben. He's predicted a lot of things which makes him very accurate. He never said if chief was coming to smash but he heavily hinted at something related to Halo coming to the switch . Whether its chief in smash or MCC coming to the switch, it will be one of those.
how is King Zell more credible than Vergeben?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Apparently the private beta for Infinite contained files for the campaign that got mined and are being leaked.

Still not expecting much from the campaign far as the writing with what's been shown so far. That and Halo 5 set a really low bar there. Even if 343 misses the mark with Halo for a 3rd time with the story though, the gameplay being and remaining a real critical success would still be a half win for the game if not more.

I'll still try to avoid story spoilers in the meantime and for however long I wait till I get the game, but won't be surprised if some make it unavoidable.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Went a little more through the Reach Campaign a while ago. Lemme just say, HOLY ****E THE GRAVITY HAMMER FEELS SO SATISFYING! Whenever I get this thing in my hands I just think, "WE PLAYIN' CROQUET, AND Y'ALL'RE THE BALLS", and smashing everybody with it makes me smile like a moron. Also, I got to my first character death in the story. RIP Kat. You will be missed.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
how is King Zell more credible than Vergeben?
He has an outstanding track record when it comes to his leaks. He's predicted many many Nintendo directs, predicted BOTW2 announcement in 2020, Animal crossing, Boxboy, Mario Maker 2, and 2D zelda. He is very respected because of his track record. Vergeben mostly goes off of other peoples sources. Verg is a credible leaker but zell is just more accurate

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Interesting that there’s a new weapon in Halo called the Skewer. Name reminds me of a certain Ridley down special… Looks cool too.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I didn’t get to play the first Flight sadly. I have an original Xbox One & it just would not load me into matches. It’d send me to a black screen, then back out to the menu. I need to get a Series X ASAP.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The Grappleshot is the best addition to the Halo sandbox ever. They've nailed the movement with it so you can make some really awesome plays by slingshotting yourself under and over or around platforms and walls. You can even latch on to a teammate whilst they're grappling.

I can't wait for the Forge maps that take advantage of it.

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
Here is just a general question. Should Alternate costumes be
Just different colors
Mark VI and 3 other variants
Mark VI and 7 other variants
Also, What armor set would you like to see if they were added for costumes?
Mine is
Mark V (Halo 1)
Mark VI (Halo 2)
ODST (Halo 3 ODST)
Recruit (Halo Reach)
Hayabusa + Katana
Recon
EVA
EOD
Half of mine is to reference main characters from the games, the other half is mostly my Halo 3 love. EOD and EVA being unique and tied to completing the games on both Normal and Legendary difficulties, Hayabusa for the skulls (as well as being my brothers loadout) +, Katana being for my grind of the game to get all the achievements and Recon because it was my armor in Halo 3 during the early days of launch (I can't remember how I got it, I just remember getting it somehow when playing online. I was 12 at the time and loved driving people around in Warthogs and driving into people)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At first I thought it was just a meme, but “shows how far we’ve come” when some try to say Halo bad because pieces of fruit don’t explode the way other games do. Some wanted to make an imaginary fruit smoothie out of shooting I guess, but if that’s the worst you can say about the game now, it’s looking pretty good all things considered.

There were some other nitpicks some tried to make that were easily shot down, but overall the reception to the game’s much more positive compared to the underwhelming first impressions from last year.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
At first I thought it was just a meme, but “shows how far we’ve come” when some try to say Halo bad because pieces of fruit don’t explode the way other games do. Some wanted to make an imaginary fruit smoothie out of shooting I guess, but if that’s the worst you can say about the game now, it’s looking pretty good all things considered.

There were some other nitpicks some tried to make that were easily shot down, but overall the reception to the game’s much more positive compared to the underwhelming first impressions from last year.
Hardcore PS guys are scared everyone’s talking about an Xbox game rn lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So yeah, we got MC on the CET today

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If the rumors of a bonus character are true, it could easily be Microsoft insisting on Chief.

I mean what would they have to gain from Steve and Banjo appearing in Smash? Banjo's games are old and Minecraft has been released on every platform imaginable (and therefore doesn't need any promotion).

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I'm not putting any stock into a bonus character after the 2nd Fighter's Pass is complete. Sakurai said that this one would be the last on multiple occasions, and I think we should take his word for it instead of assuming he's trolling/being cheeky. The man likes to have fun, but he's also pretty down to earth and lets his fans know when he's being serious.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a bonus character and would 100% welcome it. But at some point things have to come to an end. And if the director says that it's almost finished, then I'll believe that. But hey, things can change. Somebody at Nintendo could step in at the last moment and order a bonus character to be made for all I know. I don't think anything like that is going to happen, but if it does then I'll gladly eat my words hahaha

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Xbox Game Pass Not Wanted by Other Console Makers, but Phil Spencer is Open to Discuss

You know, it's the right question because people usually ask me about releasing one individual game or another. And what I say is I want the full Xbox experience to be something that we deliver. We have no plans to bring [the Xbox App] to any other kind of closed platforms right now, mainly because those closed platforms don't want something like Xbox Game Pass. There's a ton of open platforms out there for us to grow in: the web, PC, and mobile. So all of our focus, frankly, is on those platforms.

That's not a slam on anybody else who has a system that works for them. I can see why the disruption of Game Pass is not something that they want right now. […] In the end, when we say we want everybody to be able to play on Xbox, we really mean if we can bring that full experience to a device that players want, we are totally open to those discussions.
But, his statements kinda go against what VP said.

Microsoft exec ‘declines to comment’ on status of Game Pass Nintendo Switch talks

Asked this week for an update on the status of talks with Nintendo to get Game Pass on the Switch, Xbox’s VP of creator experiences Sarah Bond told the Axios Gaming newsletter: “I can’t comment on any specifics around that relationship as it relates to Game Pass.”
I don't know what to make out of this. On one hand, we have lots of hints and rumors about another Xbox x Nintendo collaboration. On the other hand, Phil Spencer and analyst shot down Gamepass Switch.

Top Bottom