• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
To play Devil’s Advocate, it’s possible that insiders heard about MS & Nintendo discussing GamePass but not the outcome. I imagine those talks happened but clearly Nintendo backed out.

But fingers crossed, it’s about Chief in Smash instead. 🤞

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys here is my Master Chief bonus fighter speculation! It goes a little something like this...

Smash team keeps pace with releasing fighters! A direct is announced for September! The Smash community gathers around for CP11 (Crash Bandicoot for example) and it's not Master Chief! Oh no! But wait! All hope is not lost friends!

I think that if CP11 is released within the next 2 months that a bonus fighter is very much a possibility for a short time! Why might you ask? 2 reasons.

First is the more obvious one with that being Ultimate's 3rd anniversary is just in time for the Video Game Awards! Obviously Joker's reveal has kind of a very positive impression on the gaming/Smash community beyond the character itself but also with the event of the reveal itself as well. This was of course utilized again for Sephiroth's reveal further cementing the tradition. What better way to celebrate the end of DLC than a surprise final bonus character revealed at the Video Game Awards?

Second and final reason is the less obvious (more speculative) one with that being FP2's established deadline! It's firmly a 2021 deadline (12/31/21) and to me that means there's a possibility that if development is on a steadily productive pace (CP11 revealed and released within the next 2 months) then they could extend development into that deadline with the production of a bonus fighter!

Now with all of that presumed I think a fantastic choice for this bonus fighter would be Master Chief! Why? Because of what a seismic reveal that'd be for starters. Certainly writes his own extremely fitting splash tag as evidenced by this thread. I also think justifying it with a Master Chief Collections port to Switch would be just as grand a spectacle in its own right. Could have tons of Nintendo goodies baked into this port as well with Metroid drab and maybe a flyable Arwing in each Halo game for it.

I think if any company could leverage this it'd be Microsoft. It's certainly known that after Verge's miscalculation for CP10 that Master Chief is very much desired by the Smash community to join the fight. There's a further incentive with Halo Infinite coming out which would obviously remain exclusive helping promote Xbox/Gamepass. Then I honestly think that this idea is kind of what Nintendo truly brings to the table when it comes to their relationship (because god knows it's not the Crossplay) with Microsoft and Nintendo has every incentive to not bite that hand that feeds them Minecraft. I think Microsoft could even help front the development costs.

Anyone wanting to say "Sakurai said" can save it. It's called speculation for a reason and it doesn't matter. He could easily also say "surprise here's a bonus fighter, this is the last one now" so I don't care. Just like with FP3 and E3, so long as CP11 is released within a timeframe that one could reasonably expect enough development time to allow for a bonus fighter to happen then it can absolutely happen and there's valid reasoning as to why that would be the case as I've already explained. Put more simply if CP11 comes out within the next 2 months then Bonus Fighters lives or dies at the VGAs.

That's it.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Another classic First Person Shooter game just got announced for the Switch. I've never played Quake but i've heard its fun.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Recently, Sakurai said there has been budget constraint issue when it comes to dlc. Nintendo isn't willing to shell out much of investment. That was during interview with Harada.

I wonder how much it would cost for Halo. Halo is big name, but how far would Microsoft be willing to yield? Would they have bargained Steve to put Chief?

And yeah. There is no way Chief was never brought at all.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

3 to 6 months post-launch for co-op campaign and forge? Ridiculous. My first campaign runs are always co-op with friends. I'll wait till I have the option. Was gonna wait a little while on the game anyway, but this only further justifies it.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Recently, Sakurai said there has been budget constraint issue when it comes to dlc. Nintendo isn't willing to shell out much of investment. That was during interview with Harada.

I wonder how much it would cost for Halo. Halo is big name, but how far would Microsoft be willing to yield? Would they have bargained Steve to put Chief?

And yeah. There is no way Chief was never brought at all.
Probably not as much, but I'd say the constraints issue was a factor

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Huge bummer to hear about forge and co-op. Really makes me wonder what shape Infinite would have been in if it had launched last year before the delay.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

It’s like the Halo 5 launch but worse, if you ask me. I always prefer to do co-op with a friend or two on the first runs. Part of the Halo magic for me is experiencing the campaign with someone for the first time, so I’ll wait until I have that option, and then do it solo legendary like usual.

Unironically, after that news I feel Chief getting in Smash as the last fighter would be a good bandaid now more than ever, but we’ll see what happens far as that.

Last edited:

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123

It’s like the Halo 5 launch but worse, if you ask me. I always prefer to do co-op with a friend or two on the first runs. Part of the Halo magic for me is experiencing the campaign with someone for the first time, so I’ll wait until I have that option, and then do it solo legendary like usual.

Unironically, after that news I feel Chief getting in Smash as the last fighter would be a good bandaid now more than ever, but we’ll see what happens far as that.
Lmao I'm not gonna lie this kinda tells me secretly Chief will be in Smash. Cuz like here the thing. If this game is not getting delayed due to lack of co-op campaign and forge, it tells me they want to release the game asap to their selected date.

Like almost the same time as where FP2 ends lmao. It could be my Chief biased not gonna lie. But I know there is a ton of people who wanted Infinite delayed from those 2 issues. And they ain't delaying the game further. Makes me wonder if there's a reason for it,

I also got my amiibo theory being in play still since Min Min amiibo was only shown and Steve is definitely next in terms of amiibo lineup lmao, relating to a Microsoft character.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm starting to get this weary feeling here, aren't some you guys overhyping chief a little too much?
As long as people are prepared in case he doesn't happen, it's no biggie.

Speculation is supposed to be fun. Hype never hurt anyone on its own. It's when you allow it to cloud your emotions when things don't work out that issues can exist. And even then, there's a difference between being mad(that's fine. You didn't get what you wanted) and legitimately causing issues for others outright.

I'm not worried. This thread is pretty chill, imo.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think they didn't plan that far ahead with co op since Halo Infinite aimed at open world.

From what I found, two players reconverging would be the most problematic issue for co op.
Then, there is co op matchmaking that hopefully they are working on.
I am trying to figure out how it went this way.

Like almost the same time as where FP2 ends lmao. It could be my Chief biased not gonna lie. But I know there is a ton of people who wanted Infinite delayed from those 2 issues. And they ain't delaying the game further. Makes me wonder if there's a reason for it,
Those two modes are not dealbreakers in financial view. Sure, it sucks that they won't be at launch, but delaying further would be much worse at this point. We have had games with worse situation that turned the tide. There is possibility that Halo Infinite won't be like Halo 5 in term of missing players due to lack of contents at launch.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The Halo community is on fire right now from what I’ve seen with the news. Those defending it seem like the outspoken minority. The rage is real, and not getting at least co-op after the delays the game already had gotten kinda makes it all the more unforgivable.

Do like the #FinishThisGame hashtag though. I think it would be fair for everyone if they just released the multiplayer as scheduled, but delay the campaign until co-op is ready for it. That way everyone wins and no one gets story spoilered for wanting to wait for the co-op. Halo’s getting another unfinished game at launch no matter how you slice it, but may as well do it in a way that softens the blow for most.

Not expecting that to happen though of course, and 343 will divide the fandom like usual with its decisions.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The Halo community is on fire right now from what I’ve seen with the news. Those defending it seem like the outspoken minority. The rage is real, and not getting at least co-op after the delays the game already had gotten kinda makes it all the more unforgivable.

Do like the #FinishThisGame hashtag though. I think it would be fair for everyone if they just released the multiplayer as scheduled, but delay the campaign until co-op is ready for it. That way everyone wins and no one gets story spoilered for wanting to wait for the co-op. Halo’s getting another unfinished game at launch no matter how you slice it, but may as well do it in a way that softens the blow for most.

Not expecting that to happen though of course, and 343 will divide the fandom like usual with its decisions.
Sad part is this nothing compared to Activision's BS over the past few months

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Still, 343 does have a history of lying to our faces which doesn't help either.

View attachment 327168

View attachment 327169
Something I want to point out;

In the second one, that's not a lie itself necessarily. That could've been a thing at first and then scrapped later. If anything, not taking back the statement/explaining things changed may have been a lie... if he knew the entire development cycle.

For the first one, maybe they did but stuff happened that prevented from what they want to do.

With stuff like this, one should take it as a "probably the case" statement. A lot of previews/statements turn out they no longer apply. Plans change, etc. For whatever reason.

Statements like "character isn't in Smash Bros." can often relate to an NDA, so it's not the same situation either. Overall, I'd say the ones you linked aren't enough of the same context. I'm sure there's better examples of more clear lying, instead of what appears to be, though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Something I want to point out;

In the second one, that's not a lie itself necessarily. That could've been a thing at first and then scrapped later. If anything, not taking back the statement/explaining things changed may have been a lie... if he knew the entire development cycle.

For the first one, maybe they did but stuff happened that prevented from what they want to do.

With stuff like this, one should take it as a "probably the case" statement. A lot of previews/statements turn out they no longer apply. Plans change, etc. For whatever reason.

Statements like "character isn't in Smash Bros." can often relate to an NDA, so it's not the same situation either. Overall, I'd say the ones you linked aren't enough of the same context. I'm sure there's better examples of more clear lying, instead of what appears to be, though.
Assuring that Infinite would have splitscreen at launch after the Halo 5 blunder may have not necessarily been an intentional lie, but it was another broken promise nonetheless. If we weren't gonna get co-op period for Infinite after it got delayed a year, just what was 343 about to get people into if it wasn't delayed and still came out last year as originally planned?

Just feels like another messy development cycle, but I guess this is the part where someone says covid cancelled this earlier plan or that for the game to give them some lenience. I don't know, but still pretty disappointed from the news, and I wasn't even that harsh on the Halo 5 launch but this is worse imo.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Assuring that Infinite would have splitscreen at launch after the Halo 5 blunder may have not necessarily been an intentional lie, but it was another broken promise nonetheless. If we weren't gonna get co-op period for Infinite after it got delayed a year, just what was 343 about to get people into if it wasn't delayed and still came out last year as originally planned?

Just feels like another messy development cycle, but I guess this is the part where someone says covid cancelled this earlier plan or that for the game.
Nah, I get what you mean.

A broken promise and an outright lie are different things, though. One changes because they couldn't actually do what they promised. The other is a straight-out lie and never intended.

Either way, stuff like interviews about other games are a bit different as stuff like NDA's prevent them from saying much. But we know they aren't always lying either(they didn't lie about Pass 1, after all). Basically, I'd approach the interviews about Smash a bit more carefully than this.

And COVID, yep. Oy.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t care too much about co-op being delayed because I’m going to play solo first anyway.

But no Forge is a big mistake. Custom games are going to be non-existent for 6 months because of that.

I hope there’s a decent amount of maps at launch to keep people busy. I’d say it needs like 8 small maps & 5 BTB maps.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I don’t care too much about co-op being delayed because I’m going to play solo first anyway.

But no Forge is a big mistake. Custom games are going to be non-existent for 6 months because of that.

I hope there’s a decent amount of maps at launch to keep people busy. I’d say it needs like 8 small maps & 5 BTB maps.
On their defense, they said they couldn't keep up to standard set by Halo 5 Forge in time. It isn't simple as it sounds. A.I in Forge perhaps?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I get Halo games 99.9% for the multiplayer, so the recent news about co-op and forge doesn't really bother me TBH.

Not defending the decision or saying its good, but its not something that will stop me from getting the game day 1.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Like I said, Halo co-op is a launch tradition for me and many, but I appreciate those who aren't affected by it being empathetic and understanding, instead of just arrogantly defending it not being in at this time.

As aforementioned, I was gonna wait on Infinite a little while anyway because of the Series X and how hard it is to find new systems for awhile, and by the time I get around to all that, the co-op update may already be out, but it still sucks to see the community fight amongst itself over the delay/initial omission of one of Halo's foundations. Even if it's something some take for granted now, couch co-op practically built Combat Evolved and the series' beginning popularity.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Hopefully Co-op is implemented without flaws, but with even matchmaking.
And Halo campaign will be updated with new contents since Infinite is touted as 10 year platform.
We will be able to enjoy new campaign after co-op is implemented.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Nice to have a release date for Infinite.
Releasing Chief as DLC right around Infinite's release date would be a great marketing move too imo.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Nice to have a release date for Infinite.
Releasing Chief as DLC right around Infinite's release date would be a great marketing move too imo.
Ngl, it’s VERY odd that Halo is releasing on a Wednesday. Nothing ever comes out on Wednesday. Maybe it has something to do with Smash’s 3rd anniversary the day before. 👀

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
Whats are the top 12 songa yo

Is it really?
The date seems rather close. I think Chief DLC will come earlier. For reason: Sakurai's Pic of the Day. I don't think it will be released in December but rather earlier than that. Cuz Halo CE anniversary's is on November 15th. So it has to be earlier than that. I'm super confident it's Chief though. But I'm surprised it's releasing the day close to Smash Ulitmate though haha lol.

Almost sounds like yea, a perfect Halo release date photo after the Smash Ultimate 3rd anniversary photo lol.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
The date seems rather close. I think Chief DLC will come earlier. For reason: Sakurai's Pic of the Day. I don't think it will be released in December but rather earlier than that. Cuz Halo CE anniversary's is on November 15th. So it has to be earlier than that. I'm super confident it's Chief though. But I'm surprised it's releasing the day close to Smash Ulitmate though haha lol.

Almost sounds like yea, a perfect Halo release date photo after the Smash Ultimate 3rd anniversary photo lol.
That one person did mention that we would get more information in the fall. Nomvember technially is the last month of fall before winter so the timing for that fits pretty well. I still have a feeling the last figther will be at the games awards. Also if we get a direct in november, that lines up with what king zell has said

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Since there isn't much other Halo news, here's a cool edit of Halo 3's Starry Night commercial with Move Along by the All American Rejects (which I'm surprised wasn't used more in the intro, as it was everywhere in 2006 and 2007)

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

I write move set concepts and this is my second attempt at a Master Chief for Smash. Let me know what you think. Would you like to play this potential version of Chief if he made it?
It's pretty solid overall. But, I disagree with using hard light shield from Halo 4.
I think Energy Sword is better for b-Air.

Reticle is pretty neat idea. It has to be implemented in a way that is easily accessible and fast.

Almost everything is spot on.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
It's pretty solid overall. But, I disagree with using hard light shield from Halo 4.
I think Energy Sword is better for b-Air.

Reticle is pretty neat idea. It has to be implemented in a way that is easily accessible and fast.

Almost everything is spot on.
  • I'm pretty take or leave on the shield but hard light is one of the few Shield animations the Halo series has.
  • I wanted his normals to primarily use his body and avoid weapons. Hence why his Back Air is an elbow strike. I see potential in using Sword for it but then I'll need to rethink the rest of his normals and I do want his normals to be on the weaker side things, I dont want them being too good.
  • I'm glad you like the reticle. I think I set it up so that even if you dont have the exact precision to get clean hits, you will still get some damage done as long as you're trying. And that should incentivize players to try harder.

Top Bottom