• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It’s hard to say how popular of a request he was, but Skyrim turned out to be pretty popular in Japan. There’s definitely some Skyrim influence on BOTW too.
I was told that being popular doesn't mean being popular in Smash speculation. Dragonborn was apparently but barely brought up in Japanese speculation. However, he was dropped due to Vault Boy Mii costume. Japanese speculation isn't that much different aside from preference. Hell, western speculation scene seems to be more open minded. Both sides constantly were caught off-guard.

But, I'm 100% sure Chief is more famous than Shantae in Japan, yet Sakurai said that she is one of highly requested characters.

I think those who keep invoking "Japan" argument haven't ventured into Japanese scene.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
If Arbiter was an echo fighter of Master Chief, how would both their classic mode routes go?

Baba

Smash Journeyman
If Arbiter was an echo fighter of Master Chief, how would both their classic mode routes go?
I can't imagine anything super in depth.
I imagine something simple like Chief fighting other ranged characters and Arbiter fighting other "aliens" or characters from space. Something like that.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think Arbiter would be better as Chief's Assist Trophy
I was thinking if nothing more, he'd show up for Chief's final smash & one of his victory screens at the most, since dlc Assist Trophies aren't a thing. I'd also like a mii costume to go along with it.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Also, I do think Microsoft at least brought up Master Chief in negotiations for Steve..

I mean why wouldn't they talk about their poster boy in Smash, also it's not as if Nintendo's unaware of the Halo series, considering it's popularity in the West in the 2000s

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Also, I do think Microsoft at least brought up Master Chief in negotiations for Steve..

I mean why wouldn't they talk about their poster boy in Smash, also it's not as if Nintendo's unaware of the Halo series, considering it's popularity in the West in the 2000s
Oh I'm positive he was at least discussed. There's no way they negotiated for Banjo and Steve without at least bringing up their mascot.

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
I don't think there is enough clout for the Arbiter to get in as well as Chief, or getting in before him, But if so then I would think that
Master Chief
A recreation of the events of Halo 1 with the fighters being loosely based on Halo enemies dubbed "Reclaimer"
A battle against 'Humanity' (Snake, Mii Gunner and Chief) before fighting other Alien creatures like Ridley and Dark Samus to show his heel turn in the games

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don't think there is enough clout for the Arbiter to get in as well as Chief, or getting in before him, But if so then I would think that

A recreation of the events of Halo 1 with the fighters being loosely based on Halo enemies dubbed "Reclaimer"

A battle against 'Humanity' (Snake, Mii Gunner and Chief) before fighting other Alien creatures like Ridley and Dark Samus to show his heel turn in the games
Ooo, I love that Arbiter route. That’s pretty clever.

It might be boring, but I’d have Chief fight a bunch of the biggest characters in the game to emphasize how big of a deal it is that he’s in. I’d include::ultmario::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultsteve::ultlink::ultdk::ultcloud::ultryu::ulthero3::ultsnake:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
If steve got in over CHEIF, to be honest, ill be mad. I get Minecraft is the best selling game in the world but if you really want to represent Microsoft, you have to add chief. Its like having link and pokemon in a fighting game to represent nintendo but we all know the true person to represent nintendo is mario himself. I will be forever upset if that were the case

Spatman

Smash Ace
If steve got in over CHEIF, to be honest, ill be mad. I get Minecraft is the best selling game in the world but if you really want to represent Microsoft, you have to add chief. Its like having link and pokemon in a fighting game to represent nintendo but we all know the true person to represent nintendo is mario himself. I will be forever upset if that were the case
The point is that they don't reason in terms of representing a company; they reason in terms of having in their game the most famous videogame characters in the world.
Of course this doesn't exclude Master Chief, but the possible choice of Steve over him becomes more acceptable, because it wouldn't be "they are representing Microsoft with a character who is, for them, almost a secondary and surely not the poster boy", but rather it becomes "theh wanted to represent Minecraft; for some reason they weren't interested in representing Halo", indipendently from who own the rights of Minecraft and who owns the rights of Halo

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Although I've gathered and posted hints and rumors in this thread, don't set your expectation too high. Keep your expectation low, then you will be pleasantly surprised or less disappointed.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
At the very least, if he doesn’t get in this time then I think he’s a lock for the next game. Well, atleast if Nintendo & MS are still buddies by then.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
At the very least, if he doesn’t get in this time then I think he’s a lock for the next game. Well, atleast if Nintendo & MS are still buddies by then.
And if the next smash doesn't do drastic changes for the series that warrants a lot of restrictions & character cutting. I somehow feel that for smash to have a future after Ultimate, it needs to experiment more & change some things that still don't feel right (characters having average & outdated movesets that don't properly represent the character anymore or at all; and maybe play around with gameplay aspects). This may result in a bigger focus on either Gaming icons coming together (Nintendo characters heavily toned down) or mostly 1st party or nintendo related representation (3rd parties heavily toned down).

Plus more variety & substance in single player content outside classic mode & World of Light. Overall take risks in avenues other than having a gigantic roster (which was likely hell for base roster Ultimate).

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Maybe we should just save speculation for what kind of direction the next Smash will take when we actually see some of what it consists of? It could go in a new direction with a more conservative roster, or it could continue in the same direction it has but with minimal cuts and otherwise more of the same far as the kind of newcomers and things. We don’t know, but it’s something not everyone or even most will agree on at this point it seems, but speculating on it in the meantime is kinda pointless. Same with like who should get cut which most definitely won’t agree on, and a discussion I intend to mostly avoid. Fans of the different characters we have now will be at each other’s throats when that time comes on who should stay or go, but ultimately the director decides the roster.

That said, I agree Nintendo and Microsoft’s relation status will be the main thing on whether Chief has as much a shot to join Smash in the future. If it’s the same then as it is now, it’ll be pretty good.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Maybe we should just save speculation for what kind of direction the next Smash will take when we actually see some of what it consists of? It could go in a new direction with a more conservative roster, or it could continue in the same direction it has but with minimal cuts and otherwise more of the same far as the kind of newcomers and things. We don’t know, but it’s something not everyone or even most will agree on at this point it seems, but speculating on it in the meantime is kinda pointless. Same with like who should get cut which most definitely won’t agree on, and a discussion I intend to mostly avoid. Fans of the different characters we have now will be at each other’s throats when that time comes on who should stay or go, but ultimately the director decides the roster.

That said, I agree Nintendo and Microsoft’s relation status will be the main thing on whether Chief has as much a shot to join Smash in the future. If it’s the same then as it is now, it’ll be pretty good.
Looking back I got carried away. There's no telling how the gaming space will be in a few years.

As for what speculation is going for the Nintendo Microsoft collab, would it just be chief in smash or would there be more? Since Fall technically lasts till December.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Looking back I got carried away. There's no telling how the gaming space will be in a few years.

As for what speculation is going for the Nintendo Microsoft collab, would it just be chief in smash or would there be more? Since Fall technically lasts till December.
The general idea is that it’s actually for GamePass on Switch, maybe only on the rumored Switch Pro.

It’s possible that Chief in Smash would happen to help market that. I’ve always found it weird that FP2 has 6 characters instead of 5 like FP1. So I’ve had a theory that FP2 was just supposed to be the 5 we have now until a company came in at the last minute & asked to get their character in.

For that to happen, it’d have to be someone major, similar to Sega/Sonic in Brawl. Sora & Crash would fit that. But I think MS asking about Chief to help market GamePass on Switch makes a lot of sense.

Alternatively, I’ve thought that Nintendo execs might’ve asked to add an Undertale character in at the last moment due to how insane the reaction to Sans’s Mii costume was.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

I like to hope it's some xbox games getting announced for switch, such as the Master Chief Collection, Rare Replay, Killer Instinct(2013), and Forza?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
God I'm trying to temper my expectations but it's difficult, if Steve wasn't in it would be easier to swallow but if THE fps icon cultural phenomenon Xbox mascot doesn't get to finish the fight in a game about the celebration of gaming when the opportunity is right there, that's tough even if this game has been phenomenonal. It's unfortunate but even if I get a different character I wanted for the last fighter some disappointment will linger without tha chief.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I'd try not to look at it that way.
Both Banjo and Steve may be Microsoft characters, but neither of them really feel like they're in Smash to represent Microsoft. They both have other reasons to appear in Smash besides repping Microsoft.

Banjo is a legacy Nintendo character and Steve is from a game that is on every platform available. Microsoft may technically own both of those franchises, but they don't really feel like mascots for the company.

I don't really think "xbox" when I look at them. Chief is a different story. I don't think they chose Banjo or Steve OVER Chief, I think thy just had different reasons for getting included.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Eh, I'd try not to look at it that way.
Both Banjo and Steve may be Microsoft characters, but neither of them really feel like they're in Smash to represent Microsoft. They both have other reasons to appear in Smash besides repping Microsoft.

Banjo is a legacy Nintendo character and Steve is from a game that is on every platform available. Microsoft may technically own both of those franchises, but they don't really feel like mascots for the company.

I don't really think "xbox" when I look at them. Chief is a different story. I don't think they chose Banjo or Steve OVER Chief, I think thy just had different reasons for getting included.
Yeah, no character is really in to represent the company outside of maybe Terry with everything else he brought with him but even so there's a ton of legacy behind him anyway, Fatal Fury and KoF are why we even have Smash in the first place.

All the third parties so far are characters from popular, beloved games and franchises of varying sizes and there's a lot of legacy behind most of them. They all have a certain degree of merit to them that was enough to help get them in.

Were Chief to get in it would be in part because he's the Xbox mascot, but also because Halo was revolutionary for the FPS genre and a huge proponent for online gaming on consoles. It wouldn't be because "Oh we need to add a proper Microsoft character" because that's not really how it works, there's no checklist so to speak and it's a broad criteria anyway.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I like to hope it's some xbox games getting announced for switch, such as the Master Chief Collection, Rare Replay, Killer Instinct(2013), and Forza?
If the rumored Nintendo/Microsoft partnership happening in the fall is real, I would definitely expect some of that stuff to happen which would be awesome.
Getting Rare Replay on Switch would be fantastic though I wonder if they'd make a "Nintendo" edition of the game and replace the 360 titles with DK64, Star Fox Adventures, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I thought of a unique Xbox themed Mii costume that could come with Master Chief.

Marcus Fenix or Fulgore
There are definitely some cool costumes they could add. I'd really like them to make up for the lack of any Banjo costumes. Mumbo swordfighter seemed like such a no-brainer.

Plenty of other Rare properties could make for cool costumes too. Conker, Kameo, Viva Pinata, etc.

But yeah a Gears of War costume makes sense. Doom as well now that it's a Microsoft property.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
There are definitely some cool costumes they could add. I'd really like them to make up for the lack of any Banjo costumes. Mumbo swordfighter seemed like such a no-brainer.

Plenty of other Rare properties could make for cool costumes too. Conker, Kameo, Viva Pinata, etc.

But yeah a Gears of War costume makes sense. Doom as well now that it's a Microsoft property.
i thought since Sakurai talked about Halo 2 and Half life 2, maybe a Gordan Freeman costume. Or even a headcrab

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
What if Verge was right all along, but Microsoft asked for Chief to be pushed back to the fall to not only coincide with the release of Halo Infinite and whatever plans they had with Nintendo?

I mean, sure, Japan wouldn't care that much, but they got Kazuya

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I thought of a unique Xbox themed Mii costume that could come with Master Chief.

Marcus Fenix or Fulgore
If we get an Xbox themed wave, I’d go:

Arbiter
Marcus Fenix
Joanna Dark
Fulgore
Conker
Ori

But at this rate, it’d probably just be another random assortment of Miis like Pyra & Kazuya came with.

Baba

Smash Journeyman

Arbiter
Marcus Fenix
Joanna Dark
Fulgore
Conker
Ori

But at this rate, it’d probably just be another random assortment of Miis like Pyra & Kazuya came with.
Yeah as much as I'd love some cool Microsoft themed outfits, just getting a random assortment of characters would be fun.
Really makes you wonder if this next character is gonna be the last content we get for Ultimate. It's kind of sad.
I'd love it if they gave us a new stage, mii costumes, or echo fighters now and then.

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123

Arbiter
Marcus Fenix
Joanna Dark
Fulgore
Conker
Ori

Your list sounds 11x better than what I have initially made lol.
Here's mine lol:

Arbiter (Swordfighter) (Bungie Era)
Cortana (Brawler) (Bungie & 343 Era)
Locke (Gunner) (343 Era)
Rash (Brawler) (Battletoads)
Gears (Gunner) (unsure of what character srry)
FORZA CAR MII HAT (Forza 4 or 5 lol)

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
What if Verge was right all along, but Microsoft asked for Chief to be pushed back to the fall to not only coincide with the release of Halo Infinite and whatever plans they had with Nintendo?

I mean, sure, Japan wouldn't care that much, but they got Kazuya
Thats what i was thinking. Its a very smart thing to do. Also japan has sephiroth, min min, hero, vyleth, put a and mythra.. Give the west side some love to you know lol

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The western fanbase really isn't being ignored, the vast, vast majority of the characters added to Smash have wide appeal to both Japan and the West to varying degrees.

It would be nice to get characters that lean more to the west but it's not like we're being shafted.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I seriously doubt Japan is too much roadblock. Even freaking Chinese called out on their own movie poster for ripping off Master Chief. I'm pretty sure most knowledgeable Japanese gamers should know Halo. Japanese were never against Chief to begin from what I've been told. They are just not familiar with him much.

BTW, would MS kinda have forced Nintendo to accept Chief by holding back Steve? Or would Nintendo really reject Chief altogether?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I seriously doubt Japan is too much roadblock. Even freaking Chinese called out on their own movie poster for ripping off Master Chief. I'm pretty sure most knowledgeable Japanese gamers should know Halo. Japanese were never against Chief to begin from what I've been told. They are just not familiar with him much.

BTW, would MS kinda have forced Nintendo to accept Chief by holding back Steve? Or would Nintendo really reject Chief altogether?
Considering Chief might get potential Xbox players to give the Switch a try, Nintendo might have been willing to let Chief in

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Thats what i was thinking. Its a very smart thing to do. Also japan has sephiroth, min min, hero, vyleth, put a and mythra.. Give the west side some love to you know lol
I wouldn’t include Sephiroth in that group. He’s a beloved icon across the globe.

I’m not sure about Min-Min either, I don’t really know how popular Arms is in Japan. That might just be a “pick for Nintendo execs to promote a newer series” lmao

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
How popular is Halo in Japan? I know over here Halo is up there with Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy and Zelda. But I don't know what the Japanese think about Halo.

Top Bottom