• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just picked up DK. Any tips I need to know right off the bat?

nightwing2024

Smash Cadet
I love DK (specifically Honky Kong), and I'm a pretty accomplished Smasher, but I'm just wondering about any general tips/tricks to make the funky monkey just a tad better.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
There are stickies for a reason. But congratulations on picking up the big ape. He's amazing.

nightwing2024

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I know. But I don't want to wade through them. I know about the Cargo Death Hold, or CSS in technical terms. (I just call it the Death Hold because I pissed my friend off so bad with it he renamed it).

Basically just anything small, but if not, then it's off to practice for about 6 hours and then whip some *** at my local tourney tomorrow.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Well to sum it up. 9 winds until 70's, short hop double bairs, cargo down throw to edge guard, down b, and every move DK has are all your friend.

ook

Smash Lord
Running up-b, and up-b out of shield I swear are his best moves. Seriously, most opponents can't do a thing against them.

when it doubt, just throw out an up-b. It'll hit them.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
down-tilt. a good amount. when he's off stage, going for the edge... down-tilt. when he's in reach of a donkey punch... down-tilt. also down-b is so underused. obvious enemies will not see this coming. they will fall for it all fight long. battlefield is a good friend. smashville is a friend too.

nightwing2024

Smash Cadet
Well, I won the tourney, his tilts are BEASTLY. I pulled off 3 or 4 cargo edge guards, it shocked the crowd. Got 25 bucks to Best Buy.

Also, did you know that on Yoshi's Island, standing on the ghost platform, you can hit someone on the stage with the donkey punch? I won the semifinal match that way. Everyone went bat **** crazy.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Headbutts are exrtremely lethal when used properly. They can wipe out entire nations.

UpB rips through the space/time continuum, rupturing space around Dk and annihilating everything nearby.

Africa Pawnch unleashs the Wrath of God with 9 winds, rather than fully charged. When full charged, DK uses the extra WoG strength he's built up to protect himself as he sends his divine knuckles into an opponents face.

I mean...anything and everything DK has in his arsenal is worth using...which is what makes him so great. Tilts are your friend. Get to know them all as soon as possible.

crifer

Smash Lord
Headbutts are exrtremely lethal when used properly. They can wipe out entire nations.

UpB rips through the space/time continuum, rupturing space around Dk and annihilating everything nearby.

Africa Pawnch unleashs the Wrath of God with 9 winds, rather than fully charged. When full charged, DK uses the extra WoG strength he's built up to protect himself as he sends his divine knuckles into an opponents face.

I mean...anything and everything DK has in his arsenal is worth using...which is what makes him so great. Tilts are your friend. Get to know them all as soon as possible.
agree

nightwing what do u mean wih cargo edgeguards?

nightwing2024

Smash Cadet
agree

nightwing what do u mean wih cargo edgeguards?
Ah. Well, I don't know if this is a widely used technique, but this is what I do. Knock them off the stage with the clap or a pimpslap. I use DK's ftilt to keep them from the ledge, then, I mindgame them and figure out what they'll do to recover to the stage. I grab them, cargo hold, and stage spike them.

I'm an expert mindgamer, so this works most of the time.

crifer

Smash Lord
now i understand what u mean^^
yeah I rarely use this, because this doesn´t work against most of the recoverys...
but i should try it out...

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace

lawlz, best DK description ever
"divine knuckles":laugh:

daisho

Smash Lord
Kind of random but what are any uses of side b?

I think that DKs b moves pwn (I really need to use up b more) but really, when is a side b helpful.

(I can only think of if they trip and you get a free move then side b to double down b or fsmash or dk punch)

daisho

Smash Lord
Side-b can be used if someone uses a laggy move right in front of you, if you predict someone's recovery, predict a tech roll, unplug their controller, do a bair and a side-b right after it. It eats shields very well and a bair to side b can break a shield.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wWiQTh63_XU
^^
or you could do something epic like that.
HAHA that is epic...

Now trying to incorporate that into my game...

crifer

Smash Lord
bair to sideb rules!
other than that u can try to cancel momentum with it while recovering,
to mess uo the enemy edgeguard...
u can even try to sideB the enemy in the air or on the stage while recovering...
as spike its not that strong but it can be useful

paralasalud

Smash Ace
Kind of random but what are any uses of side b?

I think that DKs b moves pwn (I really need to use up b more) but really, when is a side b helpful.

(I can only think of if they trip and you get a free move then side b to double down b or fsmash or dk punch)
i used to do short hop headbutt out of shield all the time.

it works really well when someone dash attacks you, so depending on the dash attack you can reverse it if they end up on the other side of you (falco, fox, etc) or just do it in front of you.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I love his upB, I may even use it too much. Superarmor will win matches often. SideB *****, and breaks shields amazingly well. I actually got a kill today off of a shieldbreak, never seen that before. My friends Toon Link was standing at the edge of Yoshi's Islnad and I hit his shield with the headbutt, and when the shield broke he ended up falling of the stage and dying. Didn't know that could happen.

Also Jungle Japes is your best friend in most all matchups. Brinstar too supposedly but I don't have much experience there personally. Perhaps the most important tip, have a counter ready for DDD.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The big ape may be easy to juggle around, but he can definitely take a lot of punishment (only Bowser is heavier than him) and dish it out very well. Beware the big penguin of doom though, he makes DK's life miserable.

I'm sure you know about d-throw+f-tilt, right? That's a good early maneuver.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
The big ape may be easy to juggle around, but he can definitely take a lot of punishment (only Bowser is heavier than him) and dish it out very well. Beware the big penguin of doom though, he makes DK's life miserable.

I'm sure you know about d-throw+f-tilt, right? That's a good early maneuver.
i seriously doubt DK is the 2nd heaviest character

Grandmastershogun

Smash Rookie
well right at the start of a match i cargo -> down throw->down tilt[until they trip] -> down B and that usaually gets them to around 40% if they dont block anything.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Running up-b, and up-b out of shield I swear are his best moves. Seriously, most opponents can't do a thing against them.

when it doubt, just throw out an up-b. It'll hit them.
When I was brawling with Axis_eaglezero, I used my Up+B OoS, and he used his f-smash on me. Both of us were playing as Donkey Kong. Well, what happened was my Up+B canceled his f-smash.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Wait whats this about nine winds im so confused.
nine winds is when you charge your Africa Paunch after DK rotates his arm nine times
it has higher knockback than a fully charged AP, its really useful to kill at absurdly low damages, i'm talking in the 40-70% damage range here, depending upon which character you're playing against.

Top Bottom