• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Have Terrible Luck with Tournaments (Good Moral)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The last 3 tournaments I have been to, 1 was a small dumb local, and two were a Chicago monthly with people from all over coming.

Anyway, as you probably all remember, I am ciliac, meaning I cannot eat flour, which I unfortunately had at tournament 1, so I became comatose and barely managed to get 3rd.

At the second one, it was run terribly and I had to leave after playing twice in 7 hours after losing to NoJ.

Just today, I was at the same monthly. I got to the train station and went downtown, before transfering to a bus. As I got on the bus, the bus driver tells me she has to wait 7 minutes before leaving and the bus directly in head of her is the same number and its just leaving now. So I run up and catch it and go around 5 blocks with it. I'm surprised cause we aren't on the right street but I expect us to turn on. By the 8th block I realize I'm on the wrong route and get off like 14 blocks away. Only I don't know my way back very well. And I am literally freezing. I finally go through a completely unhelpful police officer, my psychotic dad, and eventually walk my back almost by myself to the train station, losing 55 minutes of my time in the process, so instead of it being 10:35, its 11:30. Brawl doubles starts at 12. I get on the bus freezing and the bus driver nicely is kind of insane and drivers really fast.

I got their in time for the last call for signups. I partnered with a good Wario who is the brother of the pretty well knwon Mario BOX7. We won 2, lost 2. But we had a pretty good showing. We lost only to Omniswell/Quik and Norm/BOX7. The Norm/BOX7 was streamed and we won 1 in pretty convincing fashion. Anyway, I signed up for Brawl singles after we got pretty far in doubles.

I was originally put in a relatively weak pool with only Kirk and possibly someone I am forgetting being a good player there. Then I got transferred to Bowyer's pool. There was Bowyer, Hunter, a good Olimar named Shintarru, and more in that pool. Probably the hardest pool. We had a relatively easy player in there though. Anyway, I am playing the Olimar who is winning most of his matches in game 1. Its a 2 stock/6 minute match. 2 stock him. He switches to Fox. And my reflexes got slower and slower in that game, losing by 1 stock. And then I CP Frigate. He stays. My reflexes just died.

I got 2 stocked badly. Missed multiple ledge guard opportunities, and more. I played Hunger next. I was literally sitting on his explosives while he killed me, and ran into his tilts and attacked his grenades. 2 stocked twice. Badly. I had nothing left, no reflexes and sick.

I then played Boywer. After game 1 I CPed Marth. That match took 30 seconds. Then I played the easier guy. I lost barely but I was just going basic textbook without any reaction really at all. Just blind bair and dair spacing. I still had 3 matches left but it was impossible for me to get out of pools and I was sick so I left. Pretty painful time.

And yet, I'm still going to tournaments. And all of you better to. Just because you get sick because of a ******** bus driver means nothing. Go out and represent your Jigglypuff. Oh and this tournament was run pretty well.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sorry to hear that, Alex. :( I only go to these small monthlies in my area with about 30 something people. I won first in singles awhile ago, and 5th a month before that. But that was back when I only used Ness. It's coming again March 5th, and I was thinking of going Mario and Jiggly.

Good luck in your next tournaments, you really do need a better means of transportation, lol. Just keep trying, man.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
The last 3 tournaments I have been to, 1 was a small dumb local, and two were a Chicago monthly with people from all over coming.

Anyway, as you probably all remember, I am ciliac, meaning I cannot eat flour, which I unfortunately had at tournament 1, so I became comatose and barely managed to get 3rd.

At the second one, it was run terribly and I had to leave after playing twice in 7 hours after losing to NoJ.

Just today, I was at the same monthly. I got to the train station and went downtown, before transfering to a bus. As I got on the bus, the bus driver tells me she has to wait 7 minutes before leaving and the bus directly in head of her is the same number and its just leaving now. So I run up and catch it and go around 5 blocks with it. I'm surprised cause we aren't on the right street but I expect us to turn on. By the 8th block I realize I'm on the wrong route and get off like 14 blocks away. Only I don't know my way back very well. And I am literally freezing. I finally go through a completely unhelpful police officer, my psychotic dad, and eventually walk my back almost by myself to the train station, losing 55 minutes of my time in the process, so instead of it being 10:35, its 11:30. Brawl doubles starts at 12. I get on the bus freezing and the bus driver nicely is kind of insane and drivers really fast.

I got their in time for the last call for signups. I partnered with a good Wario who is the brother of the pretty well knwon Mario BOX7. We won 2, lost 2. But we had a pretty good showing. We lost only to Omniswell/Quik and Norm/BOX7. The Norm/BOX7 was streamed and we won 1 in pretty convincing fashion. Anyway, I signed up for Brawl singles after we got pretty far in doubles.

I was originally put in a relatively weak pool with only Kirk and possibly someone I am forgetting being a good player there. Then I got transferred to Bowyer's pool. There was Bowyer, Hunter, a good Olimar named Shintarru, and more in that pool. Probably the hardest pool. We had a relatively easy player in there though. Anyway, I am playing the Olimar who is winning most of his matches in game 1. Its a 2 stock/6 minute match. 2 stock him. He switches to Fox. And my reflexes got slower and slower in that game, losing by 1 stock. And then I CP Frigate. He stays. My reflexes just died.

I got 2 stocked badly. Missed multiple ledge guard opportunities, and more. I played Hunter next. I was literally sitting on his explosives while he killed me, and ran into his tilts and attacked his grenades. 2 stocked twice. Badly. I had nothing left, no reflexes and sick.

I then played Boywer. After game 1 I CPed Marth. That match took 30 seconds. Then I played the easier guy. I lost barely but I was just going basic textbook without any reaction really at all. Just blind bair and dair spacing. I still had 3 matches left but it was impossible for me to get out of pools and I was sick so I left. Pretty painful time.

And yet, I'm still going to tournaments. And all of you better to. Just because you get sick because of a ******** bus driver means nothing. Go out and represent your Jigglypuff. Oh and this tournament was run pretty well.
you probably got off to a bad start with all that **** you went though just to get there. Forget about it... there's always next time. ;)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
The good player in our pool was "Hunger".

But yeah, our pool probably was the hardest. Hunger and I were 2 of 3 people in the top 8 who had to play in pools. (The top 8 players from the previous Chicago tourney got auto first seeds so they didn't play in pools.) And then like Alex said, we also had a good olimar player and a decent MK...

And I'm way too good at gimping, lol.

A few of my matches were recorded... check them out if you want to see one of the campiest MK ever =)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok guys, its official. I am sick really badly now. And oops forgot his name lol. Anyway, I woke up and I feel like I have a freaking anvil in my throat every time I swallow, I don't have a cough yet but I have a lot of mucous and a bloody nose on and off (not a good combination, you have to blow your nose and then plug it up so you don't get too much mucous but also so you don't get a ****ing bloody nose, it only t=starts bleeding if I blow too hard), and the world's largest eye booger. Like it was covering half of my eye literally.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Wow, that sucks. I almost spit out my sandwhich when I read the part about the eye booger.

Just get some rest. Jiggly puns, lol.
But seriously, you should just relax all day. Being sick is the worst. Ear aches and cancer are the worst. Dx
Hope you feel better.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
If you had spent your life training for the tour de france, this wouldn't have happend to you.

but still, you have my deepest condolences that you get well, being sick (and not Lance Armstrong) sucks.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
no no. I'm telling you that you should be a genetically superior human that can fend off disease and cancer with a bicycle.

I'm also telling you to make your heart the size of a cantaloupe and your lungs the size of America's debt.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
lol, I don't plank people... I just platform/normal camp really heavy and I'm not afraid to retreat to the edge... but I get off when the other person isn't challenging me while I'm on it.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I saw Alex and Bowyer playing at MK vs Itachi. Alex, just remember bad days just happen. I myself had to wait half an hour in the freezing weather for the bus since I just missed an earlier one. It was pretty cold that day, but forunately it looks like spring is coming here in Chicago (60ºF today :D).

Also I'm thinking of using Jigglypuff in tournaments as well as Ness. Yes I know I'm crazy but I just love using Jigglypuff (and Ness).

Alex, where do you live in Chicago? I'd love to play some friendlies with you.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I saw Alex and Bowyer playing at MK vs Itachi. Alex, just remember bad days just happen. I myself had to wait half an hour in the freezing weather for the bus since I just missed an earlier one. It was pretty cold that day, but forunately it looks like spring is coming here in Chicago (60ºF today :D).

Also I'm thinking of using Jigglypuff in tournaments as well as Ness. Yes I know I'm crazy but I just love using Jigglypuff (and Ness).

Alex, where do you live in Chicago? I'd love to play some friendlies with you.
On the northern suburbs, fairly close to Chicago.

Dajayman

I live by Harlem and Higgins, which is the Harlem blue line stop (the one closer to O'Hare). That is Northwest Chicago and it's right on the border of Norridge.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
If you plan on using Jiggly in tournies, remember the Marth matchup still ***** you. Jiggz isn't so great against Marth, neither is Ness (Unless that EIDI thing actually works).

PND

Smash Champion
Grabwhore = happy Jiggs. Seriously, I've been saying it for as long as I've been here, her grab is second only to her bair in terms of usefulness.

TheStig

Smash Lord
bowyer, you should come to this tournament that we are planning at uiuc . so that i can **** you there.

we can get "smashed" afterwards

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
haha, when is it/how big is it gonna be? and yes... we will get smashed... sort of a requirement for me to come, lol.

Veril

Frame Savant
bowyer, you should come to this tournament that we are planning at uiuc . so that i can **** you there.

we can get "smashed" afterwards
Afterwards, when smashed, he will **** you again.
date ****

Bowyer, any plans to come down to NY anytime? I'm going to be up in Niagara in April for a tournament, probably chilling with PNDMike.
moar date **** obviously

TheStig

Smash Lord
haha, when is it/how big is it gonna be? and yes... we will get smashed... sort of a requirement for me to come, lol.
we are planning it around the end of april. we will hype it up and it will be big. i'm pretty sure one of you MI fools will win it if you guys show up.

*on a side note. i used jiggly in the loser's finals in one of the tournaments against diddy and i did pretty well. until i rollcided :(

*bonus side note: i am participating in unofficial st. patrick's day, and I am pretty "smashed" right now

Veril

Frame Savant
Veril your starting to freak me out.....
starting? I've been freaking the Jiggs boards out from the moment I got here :laugh:.

<3
I don't even know if you love me anymore :(

This thread is probably going to get close soon so I'm gonna just get Air to shut it down. Sorry, I want to avoid the infractions.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think it started with the avatar, Veril. :laugh:
You've been a big help here, we thank you for that. :)

Air shut it down? But it has a good moral. :(

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
inb4lock

This thread is very very awesome. Not in the story itself (which is pretty cool), but that the Jiggs board actually has a thread about attendance at a tournament. :o

Like, this one came out at the same time as Jigglymaster's Low Tier thing. It's mondo cool that the Jiggs are seeing some tournament action. I hope to see lots of threads like this in the future.

If there aren't, I will cut somebody. :mad:

PND

Smash Champion
If I posted every time I went to a tourney this board would be 75% PND Spam. :(

Where's my fame and adoration?

MrEh

Smash Hero
lol at your post count Mike.

We love you as much as we love Bowyer. Which is obviously a lot.

But yeah, bad stuff happens sometimes. The main thing is to just stay positive, and keep on going even if you get *****. Or in my case, Dedede *****. However, that's a story for another day...(or whenever the TO uploads that match) It's pretty vital that people keep repping characters in tournaments. Even more so if that character has decent amounts of untapped potential, like Jiggs.

It's no where near as disapointing as the Bowser representation though. I can count all of the pro Bowser players with one hand. Actually, I don't even need all 5 fingers...I only need 2. :(

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
If I posted every time I went to a tourney this board would be 75% PND Spam. :(

But you're not a Jiggly main :mad:. nojklol

But then, a tournament results thread or something...like, it probably would have nothing in it but I dunno. This kinda stuff is motivating.

Dajayman

It's no where near as disapointing as the Bowser representation though. I can count all of the pro Bowser players with one hand. Actually, I don't even need all 5 fingers...I only need 2. :(
That sucks. I'm starting to pick up on Bowser, maybe considering him to be my third character (Ness/Jiggs have always been my main/secondary). I want to start using Jiggs in tournaments, but I'm also getting better with my Bowser. Right now I have a couple characters as my potential third character: Bowser, Lucario, Ice Climbers, and G&W.

Hence

Smash Ace
My next tournament is on the 21st of March, but my participation in the previous three tournaments I had attended was mediocre at best.
Good luck, Alex.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
I'd use an mp3 player if I didn't feel 100%. Some reason, my game's 50% better with it...

Or are those illegal in most tourneys? Never been to one haha

Top Bottom