• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have one question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathos

Smash Champion
I understand that this ordeal has become out of hand but where exactly should the midwest populace then congregrate as a whole?

As it stands by the strictest of rules: Tournament Discussion is soley tourny organizing talk, melee discussion to talk about just the game, and the pools rooms are not separated by region, as the midwest is a close niche of the community. If people feel that this is a problem we should be allowed to talk about it, whether it with the administation or the general public, and not have it closed.

Should we make a thread in the pool room titled "Midwest Johns?"

Fronzle

Smash Cadet
yea MW would like not to get infiltrated. we are the group in the corner who talks to no one other than east and south coast but we dare not enter there region's forums.

soap

Smash Hero
just continue to talk at your leisure in related tourney threads, i dont see a problem with that.

Mathos <3, i miss the Cok.

Drephen

Smash Master
seiously you know how many times the Melee-FCD topic or the OC3 topic got uhhhh off topic? Should we just make a room and spam that? Look in every thread im sure not everything is about regional dicussion or tournament discussion and no one is BANNED for it.

Red Power
Midwest Pride

Zjiin

Smash Master
This is exactly what happens when someone who is unfamiliar with the consistancy of something, tries to regulate it.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
see when you become a mod you get a chip installed in you so that your **** grows an inch everytime you warn someone and two everytime you ban someone. So right now fdv is packing around 5 inches

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
We can overlook spam here and there in threads that actually have a purpose, but creating an entire thread for the purpose of posting absolutely nothing relevent just clutters the forum. The Midwest is a great community, but I don't see how having threads devoted to random nonsense helps keep it closer as a whole.

We don't have problems with people listing complaints either, just so long as those complaints are well-conducted. Making more and more spam threads is not a legitimate way to protest something; it's just childish whining.

That said, I wouldn't mind if this thread were used to pool your complaints. Just keep it refined, and we will try our best to accommodate.

51nifty

Smash Rookie
We can overlook spam here and there in threads that actually have a purpose, but creating an entire thread for the purpose of posting absolutely nothing relevent just clutters the forum. The Midwest is a great community, but I don't see how having threads devoted to random nonsense helps keep it closer as a whole.
i wouldnt expect you to understand seeing as you dont go to ****.

We don't have problems with people listing complaints either, just so long as those complaints are well-conducted. Making more and more spam threads is not a legitimate way to protest something; it's just childish whining.
so instantly banning people for harmless threads isn't childish? and i guess when people march outside a building for entire days protesting low wages they are childish because they are persistent?

That said, I wouldn't mind if this thread were used to pool your complaints. Just keep it refined, and we will try our best to accommodate.
accomadate this

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
so instantly banning people for harmless threads isn't childish? and i guess when people march outside a building for entire days protesting low wages they are childish because they are persistent?
Pickets are a legal form of protest, so long as they are not disruptive and/or violent. I would say filling the entire front page with spam threads is rather disruptive.

Going against the rules happens. Sometimes maybe by accident, sometimes through ignorance of the rules, but it still happens. The idea is that you'll receive a warning/infraction, and not do it again. If there are some rules that you feel are unjust, it's fine to bring that up. But to keep going back and breaking those rules willingly just shows that you're a poster unfit for the forum. If you're caught breaking into a store, you get jailtime. To go back and break into more stores afterward doesn't imply that maybe the laws need to change; it implies that you're not fit to enjoy such freedom and your jailtime increases.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
yes that is the idea we are trying to get across, that people should receive a warning/infraction. however, people were given multiple infractions at once, they were not at all warned and were just banned, without opportunity to rectify their behavior.

edit: im going to go ahead and post the response youll probably give seeing as its the one woz gave earlier today, and assume youre thinking he should know the rules, after all they are on the top of the page. then im going to go ahead and say to check the rules, replying to spam isnt an infraction unless you mention mods or closing. now clearly this is a pretty ******** rule, and you guys have been giving out warnings/infractions for replying to spam in any way for years. however, to assume someone knows not to do it because its not a real posted rule isnt fair at all, you guys should have just made it the real rule.

CaptainAwesome

Smash Ace
Man, I have no idea what's going on here...

Who the **** is fdv? I've been trying to figure that out all day. I'm gonna feel like an idiot when someone tells me, but that's life.

Since I'm massively out of the loop, I'm just going to say that here in the MW, we do what we want to do. If people don't like the way we do business, they don't have to come to our region or our region's section. Simple as that.

MW for life!

CaptainAwesome

Smash Ace
Alright, things are starting to make sense.

Wasn't the purpose of assigning regional mods to allow us to, for the most part, govern ourselves?

Man... **** that guy.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but has anyone seen FDV's "location?" He's gloating about banning the midwest.
Not at all. Remember when I closed and warned people in that topic ages ago when people were calling everyone gay? And how they didn't like it and were all "Mics so evil wut a jerk die fool"? Rather than make a big deal about it, I thought, they see me as evil, might as well fit what they expect and added G-Man as my arvy.

I know what the tourney rooms are for, and I agree, it's not for 100% pure tournament discussion. Yes you're allowed to have fun, yes you can post off topic, but there's a diference between that and making a topic which contains "it's the west's mid tier players LOLLLLLLL u gguyz fugzing SUCK!!! LOL GET ON MY LEVEL!"

Imagine if someone other than Forward posted this. You'd hate it right? So why does it become a valid topic? It doesn't, it's spam, plain and simple, and so were the replies to it. If you want to talk about Batman, then make a real topic in the Media Metropolis, as that's where TV show/movie/comic discussion would go, or posibly the PRoom.

Perhaps FDV shouldn't have unloaded the number of warnings he did at once, allow some time for you to go "Oh ****, someone's watching" and stop, but the fact is, FDV might have done wrong, fine. But so have you all, and rather than accepting it, "Yeah, FDV did give a lot of warnings, but we did post a lot of crap" and just wait the week or 2 til the warnings expire while informing the other mods or posting in Forum Desputes, you're deciding to do the total oposite, which if anything, is prooving that maybe FDV wasn't over the top in warning you guys. If you want to proove he DID go over the top, stop making all these "FDV IS A JERK [Big image] " because it's just hurting your case.

mathos

Smash Champion
Or that he doesn't understand that the Midwest is all about spam. *looks at the SPAM forum on the midwest forums*. Spam is the only way for us to voice ourselves publicly because not all of us have great grammar skills.

But yes they did spam and were accordingly granted punishments.

But oh wells, a lost cause on either side.

And its easy to be an *** on the internet, but that doesn't make it cool. But thats how you have to deal with it.

Hearts, Stars, and Horseshoes.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Not at all. Remember when I closed and warned people in that topic ages ago when people were calling everyone gay? And how they didn't like it and were all "Mics so evil wut a jerk die fool"? Rather than make a big deal about it, I thought, they see me as evil, might as well fit what they expect and added G-Man as my arvy.
Calling people gay can be considered over the top. Thus, it was a worthy offense. For the sake of argument, I suppose we can ignore that circumstance. I believe issues arise from what out-of-region mods consider to be spam and what the region considers to be fun.

I know what the tourney rooms are for, and I agree, it's not for 100% pure tournament discussion. Yes you're allowed to have fun, yes you can post off topic, but there's a diference between that and making a topic which contains "it's the west's mid tier players LOLLLLLLL u gguyz fugzing SUCK!!! LOL GET ON MY LEVEL!"

Imagine if someone other than Forward posted this. You'd hate it right? So why does it become a valid topic? It doesn't, it's spam, plain and simple, and so were the replies to it. If you want to talk about Batman, then make a real topic in the Media Metropolis, as that's where TV show/movie/comic discussion would go, or posibly the PRoom.
Unfortunately, because most of the mods don't live in the Midwest or attend tournaments, they are unable to comprehend the fact that these "spam" posts serve to strengthen the bonds between us. I guarantee that if I do something cool at the next tournament, SOMEONE is going to yell "OH **** FASTEST TRIBEAMED THAT ***** JUST LIKE FDV!"

The reason we don't post our "spam" in the more public areas is because those outside the Midwest don't understand our charm. The community generally tends to regulates itself. If someone "other than Forward" makes a ridiculous post, it will most likely be buried under the posts which the community deems acceptable. There are always exceptions to the rule, but if a post has 3 pages in which multiple community members have positively posted, it's probably an OK post.

Perhaps FDV shouldn't have unloaded the number of warnings he did at once, allow some time for you to go "Oh ****, someone's watching" and stop, but the fact is, FDV might have done wrong, fine. But so have you all, and rather than accepting it, "Yeah, FDV did give a lot of warnings, but we did post a lot of crap" and just wait the week or 2 til the warnings expire while informing the other mods or posting in Forum Desputes, you're deciding to do the total oposite, which if anything, is prooving that maybe FDV wasn't over the top in warning you guys. If you want to proove he DID go over the top, stop making all these "FDV IS A JERK [Big image] " because it's just hurting your case.
It is without question that Fdv's logic to hand out multiple warnings was flawed. One warning per thread is all that is required- unless previously warned for that thread. Sometimes our joke threads don't get locked- so it's the inconsistency in which rules are enforced. Why can we post multiple times on some "spam" threads but get warned multiple times from others?

The reason I think people are posting a lot of crap is because I believe they wanted to show the mods what crap really is. An X-Men thread which everyone likes is not crap. Millions of "WE HATE FDV" threads are. Its as if they were saying "So, you think our posts are crap do you? Well, ****ing take a look at Melee Discussion or perhaps get TRIBEAMED!"

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
The reason I think people are posting a lot of crap is because I believe they wanted to show the mods what crap really is. An X-Men thread which everyone likes is not crap. Millions of "WE HATE FDV" threads are. Its as if they were saying "So, you think our posts are crap do you? Well, ****ing take a look at Melee Discussion or perhaps get TRIBEAMED!"
Even if that were the case, an X-Men thread doesn't belong in the Regional Zone - there's a place for that in Media Metropolis.

As been mentioned before, minor spam in other threads that tend to go a bit off topic is fine, but whole threads dedicated to them simply clutter up the boards. In general, even though this is the community room, the face of the thread itself should be something that relates to smash. A thread dedicated to batman or X-Men is a thread that isn't related to smash, and so it doesn't belong in this room as its own thread. You could probably randomly bring it up in the other threads, like one of your player finder threads for example. Otherwise, you should probably venture outside the Midwest forum for the other stuff.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Secondly, I'd like to say... Man what a bunch of ***got moderators... I hope this happens to you all...

Drephiano VS FDV
If you don't like it, you can leave. It's that simple.

We're sorry if you assumed something different about how Regional Forums are supposed to work. Really, I believe one of the main reasons Regional Zones was created was so smaller events like smashfests and local tournaments can have a place that doesn't get overshadowed by bigger events that are being posted in TD. Things like crew threads and state finder threads have also found a home in Regional Zones.

But that's really all there is to it. You can socialize in those threads, but you really can't dedicate something to a non-smash related topic in one thread. We have Social Rooms for that, and it's why they're there.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Even if that were the case, an X-Men thread doesn't belong in the Regional Zone - there's a place for that in Media Metropolis.

As been mentioned before, minor spam in other threads that tend to go a bit off topic is fine, but whole threads dedicated to them simply clutter up the boards. In general, even though this is the community room, the face of the thread itself should be something that relates to smash. A thread dedicated to batman or X-Men is a thread that isn't related to smash, and so it doesn't belong in this room as its own thread. You could probably randomly bring it up in the other threads, like one of your player finder threads for example. Otherwise, you should probably venture outside the Midwest forum for the other stuff.
We don't like posting in the Media Metropolis because it opens the thread up to the rest of the world. Here, we get to have fun amongst our Midwest friends.

I just find it silly that 9 different people found the X-Men thread awesome, but the mods didn't. I guarantee if the thread had stuck around longer more Midwesterners would have posted in it. Myself included.

I'm not debating the rules. If you want to stick to them like glue that's fine- perhaps you should cull tournament threads. Have you any idea what we talk about in there?

If you're so stuck on the rules then, perhaps we should *change* the rules. The community obviously doesn't like the way things are, so perhaps we can compromise. What if this forum had it's own Midwest pool room sub forum?

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i agree with fastest.

and woz, youre still basically saying that creating the thread is the problem, and fdv banned a bunch of people who posted in it but the creator of the thread is unpunished. you gotta admit thats pretty poor moderating. even if sauce got a warning for creating it, the other people should have received lesser penalties if not no penalties, as opposed to being banned.

mathos

Smash Champion
You know thats not everything within this mishap, its more complicated than that. Yes they posted that incorrectly but don't you think it would die down over time. Its spam in the technical sense, it won't be there forever, just like their bans, and it hasn't stopped anyone from finding a tournament because we don't have that many tournaments in the Midwest, unless of course you only visit smashboards once a month. Sorry for that run-on sentence.

By the way no one has still answered my concerns about the "Ask the Mods" thread within the Australia forums.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Really, the only thing that's bothering people here is the fact that we have extra mods here. The Midwest board is fine with just Kish. That's it, we can live with Kish as our mod. He's cool.

Let us be autonomous.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
We don't like posting in the Media Metropolis because it opens the thread up to the rest of the world. Here, we get to have fun amongst our Midwest friends.
You forget that the Midwest is part of a larger community. Why keep yourselves as a clique, when you can be socializing with other people with similar interests?
I just find it silly that 9 different people found the X-Men thread awesome, but the mods didn't. I guarantee if the thread had stuck around longer more Midwesterners would have posted in it. Myself included.
That's not the issue. The X-Men thread doesn't belong here in the first place.
I'm not debating the rules. If you want to stick to them like glue that's fine- perhaps you should cull tournament threads. Have you any idea what we talk about in there?

If you're so stuck on the rules then, perhaps we should *change* the rules. The community obviously doesn't like the way things are, so perhaps we can compromise. What if this forum had it's own Midwest pool room sub forum?
It's true that we should probably update and reword the current rules, but in light of everything, the Midwest is the only room with this problem, and global rules won't be changed because a small part of the larger community doesn't agree.

You might be able to compromise with KishPrime to have one thread where you can randomly talk about anything, and if you can keep it to that thread itself, it might be all right.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
woz are you not responding to me because youre not seeing me or because there is no way to justify it?

and yes, rules are changed if the community doesnt like them. also, the only reason mw is the only region to have a problem with the rules is because im guessing we're the only people who have read them, and even we didnt until yesterday.

edit: and we like to talk to each other because we're funnier than dudes in media metropolis, and because we know each other, we want to know what jiano thinks of the xmen, etc.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
We don't like posting in the Media Metropolis because it opens the thread up to the rest of the world.
Shame that's not what these rooms are. They aren't private rooms for people to have their own discussions on whatever. Yes, you could discus things in the other threads, like that one that Cra$h posted, which is a lot like the General Aussie Smash Disc Thread. The main theme is smash, but we talk about all sorts of things in it, from concerts we've seen to what we did on the weekend. There's no problem with doing that, but making a new thread to talk about something just for the sake of discussing it alone, that's not the purpose of this room. You may not like it, but the fact is the rest of the forum exists for this reason.

Again, that's not the point of this room. Cra$h's topic is the closest you'll get to having a Regional Pool Room. And just to add, this is the only community that has any issues with this.

EDIT: Must have missed that part about the ask a mods, I'll go back and try and find it.

EDIT2: Can't find it anywhere. Can you repost/PM me with what you said re the Aussie thread?

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
No, I was typing to Fastest's response, and other posts were created by the time I made it.

The creator of the topic received infractions as well, but yes, we're all discussing in the staff room what to do about it. In any case, just keep in mind that the bans are temporary and they can be ready to go again in a couple of weeks.

Kel

Smash Master
Your guys' avatars are not smash related. Therefore, SPAM!

Where is FDV from? I've heard Austrailia but I want to check. Oh, and I also hear he's never been to a tournament. Truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom