• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate kids (brawl related)

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
Lawl. It's like the kids that you stomp on repeatedly- yet they still try to give you advice on how to play.

Zanix

Smash Cadet
Favorite lines from our group complainer.

"The game cheated to let you win."
"God hates me, so I can't beat you today."

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
you should have challenged him to a life or death match right there in best buy.

lol a cage drops around you two with wiimote accessories instead of chainsaws and **** and you both brawl a brawl with so much on the line, with best buy employees yelling "TWO MAN ENTER ONE MAN LEAVE" and an Asian casual shopper who yells "YOU MUST RECOVER." And after you win, tina turner sings a song about thunderdome.

at least the world would be +1 intelligence due to the absence of that one n00b
I'd sig this if it would fit.

Cocoashadow

Smash Apprentice
My God, I must tell this story.

So I kinda know this guy who's like...A year older than me (17) and he is just like this kid you're describing. At the Brawl midnight release at Gamecrazy, I was there playing some kids and he walks in and just shoves the kids aside to get the second controller, he says, "I just want to show Mitchell that I can kick his ***" . So I've never even played him, I've barely met him, so I'm stricken aback a bit by his pompous attitude. We start, I'm Mario, he's Marth (<_<), it IS a close match, but I end up with one life (10% or so) and he has one life (90% or so). I get him under the stage with a dair to bair combo and he upB's onto the bottom of the stage and dies. As soon as he loses, he starts johning about how he would've won if we were on a fair stage (dreamland 64 lol).
INTO THE FUTURE NOW: My friend's having a brawl tourny at his house, we're playing and the guy walks in and says "So who's *** am I going to kick now?". MY GOD, I was so annoyed by him. So I played him again, I was Ness, he was Ike (again <_<) and he beats me. Its close, but he does. And then...BRAGBRAGBRAGBRAG, "wow, you're terrible, I wasn't even trying". I play him 4 other time that day and beat him every time but he keeps acting like that one time was the only one that counted. rrrrggg
INTO THE FUTURE MORE: another tourny at my friends house, he is being soooo braggy. I fight him like seven times, alternating between Jiggs and Bowser, and I don't lose once. He STILL acts like he's so much better than me. And he was incredibly ignorant of a ton of things, quotes from him include "Olimar is a terrible character, he has no good smashes" and "Ike is probably one of the best characters in the game." One of the matches he gannonbanned me and WOULD NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT, he saved the replay and made everyone watch. This guy just pisses me off.

Yeah, no one is going to read all that...

Inub0i

Smash Rookie
San Jose, 4-5 stock, no items, Battlefield or Fina
Yeah... Kids can get annoying.
I "let" them win for a few rounds, and when he gets cocky, I'll become merciless and crush him (or her). He (she) then goes and complains. LOLZ:laugh:

Side note: Cocoashadow, I read all that. Are you sure that guy is 17? If so, that guy has issues. I behave better than that, and I'm 14...:ohwell:

KurageWolf

Smash Rookie
I'm 13, People who think they're awesome at brawl are generally the most annoying. I used to have to deal with johns ALL the time. I'd be playing with some guy, and I'd own him. He'd be like "OMGYOUK33L3DM3HAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" - - Freakin' losers.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You could've just said 'no johns'.
Or you could have not been a tool.

But seriously, he a kid. Kids do this. You don't have to show him up. You could actually be nice and say "Hey, your pretty good for your age" and at least tried to be nice. Instead, you were too busy showing off your "1337" skills and in the end, looked like a jerk.

Nice going.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like people like that.It seems that some people (not just kids) can't handle that somebody is better than them.I guess I can understand little kids but some people like the one Cocoashadow talked about who really haven't matured (at least on this subject).That really bugs me.

products

Smash Rookie

But seriously, he a kid. Kids do this. You don't have to show him up. You could actually be nice and say "Hey, your pretty good for your age" and at least tried to be nice. Instead, you were too busy showing off your "1337" skills and in the end, looked like a jerk.

Nice going.
You should always show off your 1337 skills when possible.. ALWAYS.

Eaode

Smash Champion

Nice going.
Lol saying no johns makes you a tool? I'd say your the tool for constantly wandering the forums and trying to find people to disagree with, but w/e

I'm not going to praise someone who syas their controller is breaking, that'd make you seem more of an *******, like if you said "GG" after 4-stocking someone 3 times.

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
F*cking hell, if his dad wasn't nearby, I would've curb stomped the little ****er right there. So in the end, I left

This is what you should have done. You should have went up to the dad and said "Your son called me a mother****er just now and gave me the finger. You really need to control your child."

It's very unlikely that the dad would think your lying, because random people don't just come up to a parent and say **** like that. He probably would have been really pissed at his son, and punish him later. That woulda taught him a lesson.

Or.. you coulda just gave the kid a Falcon Punch and run away from the best buy store.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
if its a 7 year old kid whats the point? just let them win.
do it in a way that you will be able to prove your better then them aka when they are down to 1 stock make a "realistic" 3 in a row suicides. seriously if your gonna give it your all and play competitivly then dont play with a 7 year old. instead pick really lame heros and do crummy stuff like only falcon punch. Or run and taunt.
stuff like that. seriously whats the point in proving your better than him?

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
He's just 7 years old for gods sake. Why are you getting so frustrated over some kid you played in a video game. Calm down man. If a 7 year old can get you so worked up in a video game, I'd hate to see how you react to some real adversary.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
He's just 7 years old for gods sake. Why are you getting so frustrated over some kid you played in a video game. Calm down man. If a 7 year old can get you so worked up in a video game, I'd hate to see how you react to some real adversary.
It's because the kid was acting like a little brat. And I would've told him off and told him to grow up.

No doubt the dad would've came at me, but I would've just told him that his child can't except losing, no doubt because the father would never let his son loose at anything.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the words of the great Kathy Griffin:
"Children are selfish."

In the words of the great, er, me:
"Children are often stupid."

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
Children should be kept away from internet and public places. Brawl does not go well with Serious Business Syndrome.

Amide

Smash Lord
I feel your pain. Just think of how much of a better person you are compared to them.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I'm also a young member of the forums (14), but I don't act like the kid ALL of the time. I mean, I sometimes John, but only occasionally. But if he is just a kid, at least try to go easy on him. Yeah, sure he needs to grow up, but just running up to him and crushing him then expecting him to grow up is just stupid. Unless he was older than 7-9, like 14. Thats when he needs to show that he is mature.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
to show him that he has no place in the world.
isnt that kinda extreme? besides if you run into thoose type of people just pick luigi or something and prepare to kill them using down taunt. or mess around and DONT killt hem. try to keep them alive while building up their damage.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm also a young member of the forums (14), but I don't act like the kid ALL of the time. I mean, I sometimes John, but only occasionally. But if he is just a kid, at least try to go easy on him. Yeah, sure he needs to grow up, but just running up to him and crushing him then expecting him to grow up is just stupid. Unless he was older than 7-9, like 14. Thats when he needs to show that he is mature.
I must be some kind of freak of nature because I never thought I was "Teh L33t" and unbeatable at anything. I've never gone around johning every single time I lost to someone despite losing to them repeatedly all the while claiming to be better than them... not even when I was 10 or younger.

I've always been smart enough to know that there will always be someone better than me, no matter how old they are (younger or older than me). It doesn't matter if they're younger or not, if they're better, they're better.

And if they're better than me, well, what do I care? I can either suck it up and try to reach their level or surpass them or I can simply just keep on trucking, content with my current level (no matter if we're talking about singing, drawing, sports, gaming or whatnot).

Being able to recognize your limits will take you far in life.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I did :bee:

Anyway My nieghbour is like that. My brother invites him over (both 11). He acts like hes crazy good . He brags about how he has it at home and could beat ANYONE. I go in the room pick up a controller and win by 4 stocks (out of 5 stocks , 1 was a bowsercide because the look on his face was priceless :laugh:). We play 4 more matches like this and he gets beat everytime. He complains at the end of each match and at the end starts laughing, after running out of excuses, he says "hahaha, my 6 year old brother could beat you , you suck that bad". I would have given him a bowser's ftilt right there in his face but I did what eratates him the most...... laugh. I laughed so loud and in a way that he knew he was the one being laughed at. He runs home crying. My brother didnt care he laughed to.

Power and Agility

Smash Rookie
Same thing happened to my friend but the kid's parents weren't near so my friend b**** slapped that kid because he kept whining about his controller is broken and my friend ran away XD

Samochan

Smash Master
Mm, I have the advantage that if they lose to a girl, they have zero excuses to fall back on. A guy losing to a girl in a video game would severely hurt their pride.:laugh:

I do remember one occasion where I started my smash career, that some ignorant kid complaining about his controller actually cost me a match and place on the tournament.:urg: It was free for all tourney and I was still noobey, but I employed ffa strategies and stood back and shot missiles and whatever with samus after I had lost the prelim first time and now I tried a second time (finnish amo sponsored tourney, wasn't too strict about who participates and when, one dude attended with like, 10 different names rofl).

On my second time I managed to kick *** and won, but this jiggs on my round was getting free rests on this one bowser player who was a total noob and did not even move around. In the end I still won the match, but then this kid said that his controller was not working, while in fact he was controlling the ganon on the field and had just messed up. My friend had watched the entire match as well and confirmed this, but still the match was restarted and of course, I managed to go and lose it on sudden death to the jiggs (who also won the tourney, last match was FFA between 4 best players lol) because the ****ty controllers we were given did not want to use nair with samus but instead did uair which does not kill on sudden death, so I then got hit by jiggs and lost it. Controller johns, but they were really ****ty ones. <_< This was I think 2003 or 2004 Digiexpo, I was fairly young so I thought it was very unfair and then wept a bit, I was so sad. :< But good things came from this tourney also, I got inspired by finnish samus player and got into competitive smash. :3

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman

So I kinda know this guy who's like...A year older than me (17) and he is just like this kid you're describing. At the Brawl midnight release at Gamecrazy, I was there playing some kids and he walks in and just shoves the kids aside to get the second controller, he says, "I just want to show Mitchell that I can kick his ***" . So I've never even played him, I've barely met him, so I'm stricken aback a bit by his pompous attitude. We start, I'm Mario, he's Marth (<_<), it IS a close match, but I end up with one life (10% or so) and he has one life (90% or so). I get him under the stage with a dair to bair combo and he upB's onto the bottom of the stage and dies. As soon as he loses, he starts johning about how he would've won if we were on a fair stage (dreamland 64 lol).
INTO THE FUTURE NOW: My friend's having a brawl tourny at his house, we're playing and the guy walks in and says "So who's *** am I going to kick now?". MY GOD, I was so annoyed by him. So I played him again, I was Ness, he was Ike (again <_<) and he beats me. Its close, but he does. And then...BRAGBRAGBRAGBRAG, "wow, you're terrible, I wasn't even trying". I play him 4 other time that day and beat him every time but he keeps acting like that one time was the only one that counted. rrrrggg
INTO THE FUTURE MORE: another tourny at my friends house, he is being soooo braggy. I fight him like seven times, alternating between Jiggs and Bowser, and I don't lose once. He STILL acts like he's so much better than me. And he was incredibly ignorant of a ton of things, quotes from him include "Olimar is a terrible character, he has no good smashes" and "Ike is probably one of the best characters in the game." One of the matches he gannonbanned me and WOULD NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT, he saved the replay and made everyone watch. This guy just pisses me off.

kinda sounds like my best friend, he thinks he is so much better than me but i beat him 8/10 times..

PCHU

Smash Lord
Yuna made the point I tried to make.

Anyway, despite the fact that it wasn't that long ago, I used to john, but for fun, not seriously.
When I got serious, I trained, and trained hard.
I knew my friends were decent, and if I beat them, I was good....
But, as I discovered competition, everything changed.
I worked day and night, perfecting my skills.
It was nice, until my friend came by, and destroyed me with no ATs whatsoever.
That ignited something, and now, I could most likely take him, no sweat.

What am I trying to say?
I think I missed my point....

I think that most people underestimate children.
Just because I didn't john your head off meant that I wasn't a normal kid?
I was well behaved, and I knew my place.
Now, it's different, I'm top among my friends.
I don't think I'm better than him, but I would absolutely LOVE to take on the champion of smash, Ken.
It would thrill me so much to get in a few hits, and even more to win.
I have always thought it would be great to battle one of the greatest, no matter what my skill level.
Heck, right now, I would love to play another Lucas.
I would get a kick out of it, and it would teach me, too.
I love to take my dad on at any classic fighter.
I can't do combos worth a lick, but it's still fun.

Looks like I suck at making points with stories.

My view is, don't think kids are something to be taken lightly.
The next 9-year-old you see could act better than your last encounter.
Don't stereotype children, if you do, then YOU are the johner.

Coselm

Smash Ace
I went into Best Buy and noticed that they set up a Wii console with Brawl on one of the big screen TVs near the couch for customers to try out. When I got there, there was a 7-9 year old kid playing. I got a Wiimote and I sat down beside the little kid.

Apparently, the kid thought he was some hot **** and kept boasting about how awesome he is at the game. So then, we proceeded to set up a match. After the first game, I won. He said "Oh, I wasn't trying that time you know. I was letting you win." Okay, right. So then we played 4 more games. Owned him each game. After each game, the little f*cker would make up some ******** excuse like "Since you were a beginner, I went easy on you. Do you want me to go hard on you?" To which I would reply, "yeah, bring it." He would still lose. But that's not all, he would then say "I was going medium on you, don't worry, I'm really good." On the last game, the kid started making bull**** excuses about how the controller stopped working and random **** like that. The funniest part was when I was leading him with 2 lives, he would say "hey, my controller isn't working, I wasn't playing, y'know. You can go ahead and kill me now."

F*cking hell, if his dad wasn't nearby, I would've curb stomped the little ****er right there. So in the end, I left
what's wrong with you?

he's a kid!!!!!

go get therapy

PCHU

Smash Lord
"Just a kid" Can't pass anymore.
We live in an advancing society; they need to grow up.
I just hate that statement because not ALL kids act that way.
I guess I'm just trying to say that we can't ALWAYS john about "What did you expect?" and "He's only 9!", because....well, if we continue to treat them this way, when they grow up, guess what's going to happen?
They could end up in a REAL fight, talking all this trash, and end up a bloody mess because he/she wasn't raised right by someone who wasn't raised right, who was raised by the used to be 9-year-old kid you're looking at now.
Not saying to be unearthly strict, but I agree, you could've said "No johns." and left it at that.
That would spark his 9-year-old curiosity, which would cause him to ask his parents, and if they don't know, they'll look it up, and when he DOES find the meaning, hopefully he'll come to the realization that johns can't pass you through life.
Unless you're surrounded by idiots, then you can just float on by.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Originally Posted by Cocoashadow

You idiot...

Why the hell haven't you Falcon Punched him by this point?

In all seriousness though, I've been guilty of Johning before in Melee. I kept thinking the reason I lose to a friend of mine is because we've got different regional versions of the same game, and we only play by his. I've since come to terms with realising that probably isn't true, so I'm just going to gauge up my characters so I can beat him in a 5-man friends tournament. I'll get the bugger this time...

Besides that, I tend to say, "**** I forgot" and so forth at points of the match when I get into a disadvantageous position. It's true - I do stupid things during some matches, it just makes me feel like I'm johning by actually saying it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
"He's just a kid" is the weakest excuse ever. It's idiotic statements like this that breeds bullies.

"Oh he's hitting other kids!" - He's just a kid
"Oh he's picking fights with older and bigger kids!" - Don't fight him! He's just a kid!

What does the kid learn from this? "I can get away with a lot of things because I'm considered younger and weaker. So as long as I pick my victims right, I'll get off scotch-free!"

It's also stupidity like this that breeds murderers. Kids that go through their lives being pampered and never told they're wrong when they do wrong grow up to be brats if you're lucky and violent criminals if you're unlucky. They think they own the world, they think they can do anything.

They might pick fights and beat people senseless and might end up killing people one day. It happens all the time.

It's better to yell at your kid for being bad than to just say "He's just a kid" and leave him be!

PCHU

Smash Lord
Yuna:
FINALLY!
You're better at making points, I guess.
But, that's what I was trying to say, and I think you did it better.

But why do so many people say that it's "just a kid!"?
It MIGHT make sense if he/she were, let's say, 5, but at 9, he/she should know better.
It's underestimating, and I am quite sick of it.

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
It's also stupidity like this that breeds murderers. !
Oh right letting a kid complain when he's losing in a video game will DEFINETLY make him into a murderer!. (End sarcasm)

You gotta be kidding me. He was only "johning" He wasn't physically hurting anyone or putting anyone down. It's a natural defense mechanism when your getting beat to defend himself.

Maybe when you guys grow up you'll realize you don't treat kids like you would someone of your own age. Of course his parents should punish him he does something wrong. but all he did was make excuses.

Top Bottom