• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I dislike the Subspace Emissary."

British Geezer

Smash Cadet
I just played Mario Kart 64, and realised something. If Mario and Luigi could talk in that game, how come they can't talk in the movies in SSE?

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Biggest disappointment for me when it came to SSE was the ending. I just went through hours and hours on end of frustration for THAT?

Come on. >:O

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
I just played Mario Kart 64, and realised something. If Mario and Luigi could talk in that game, how come they can't talk in the movies in SSE?
Well I was gunna say because no one else can, but I forgot if Ganandorf was actually talking to the Master Hand at that one scene or not.

Maeotian

Smash Cadet
I actually liked SSE. It sure beats that Adventure Mode that was in Melee. The story was deep and engaging, and I never felt bored by it. It had the distinct feel of a Kirby game.

AbsoluteZero255

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure I'm not the only person on Smashboards that never really got into the Subspace Emissary.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, it was good, just not all the way through. The boss battles are exciting, and the movies were amazing, I just wished there would be more of each.

I found myself becoming bored of the stages fairly fast; nothing really kept my attention besides a few interesting set pieces here and there. The Great maze, also, was far too long. I hated it, and in fact couldn't play through it in one sitting due to the monotony.

What do you all think?
er.... If we had fewer cutscenes, we would be able to have one more character, methinks.

Peppy for Brawl! Barrel Roll FTW!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yeah, I agree with you somewhat...

There are several plotholes in the story, and they could have done more explaining exactly what everything was doing half the time and why...

Like, I STILL don't get why Tabuu had the Master Hand order Ganondorf, Bowser, and Wario to turn characters into trophies, and what's the point of making a maze if everyone's a trophy?

It's all weird to me.

ECarminan

Smash Rookie
I think that the Great Maze is too long. If you did it in 1 sitting(Isn't possible), you'd get a bunch of points, but they're only used to get coins, so that isn't important.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was pretty good.. until the Great Maze. Cutscenes were made pretty good, and actually followed a storyline (for once). The Marth/Ike/MK ones were pretty good, and so were the ships shooting each other, and inside the Halberd with Lucario, MK, and Snake. The Great Maze... epic failure on Sakurai's behalf. It was the worst thing in SSE. It took forever, was confusing as hell, and just pissed me off when I had to run around and go back because I missed a door.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I'm sure I'm not the only person on Smashboards that never really got into the Subspace Emissary.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, it was good, just not all the way through. The boss battles are exciting, and the movies were amazing, I just wished there would be more of each.

I found myself becoming bored of the stages fairly fast; nothing really kept my attention besides a few interesting set pieces here and there. The Great maze, also, was far too long. I hated it, and in fact couldn't play through it in one sitting due to the monotony.

What do you all think?
I find it funny that I really really dont like brawl's gameplay but I LOVE sse, every bit of it. Mostly because I had been hoping for something EXACTLY like it since melee came out... and it seems most people who like brawl's gameplay over melee either hate or dont like sse.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I admire the efforts from the development team in providing a deeper single player experience, even if it wasn’t that much of an experience. Personally, I think they should have focused in making a multi-linear classic mode of sorts.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Just the great maze sucks.
**** the great maze.
They should call it the "The ****ing ****ty endless maze of ****ness"

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
They should have removed Great Maze.

All it did, was make YOU REPLAY BASICALLY THE ENTIRE GAME OVER AGAIN.

Boring.

Anyway, SSE was enjoyable but it had it's dull moments.

There are several things I'd want in adventure mode in SSB4(Also, if there is a SSB4 and IF Sakurai is involved in SSB4, there will going to be an adventure mode):

1. Computer allies, maybe throughout the whole game or at least in some battles.

I am not sure if anyone is like me, but I always prefer having computer allies. In general, there's something about playing with other people on your side(whether humans or comps), that makes it a lot more fun than playing alone.

Anyone else agree? Or is it just me?

2. Remove great maze, no forcing you to replay the whole game again.

3. Less "tedious" platforming or "repetitiveness". Also, when I say platforming, I simply mean the stages in general where you go from "Point A" to "Point B", fight a bunch of random enemies, repeat. I know "platforming" isn't the right word for it, but I don't know what else to call that besides maybe, dungeon crawling(which isn't correct either, unless it is).

Less platforming and instead, add in:

a. Events. Something similar to event matches.

For example, add objectives like "Protect Zelda from Ganondorf" or something like that, stuff similar the Event matches.

b. More boss battles, EPIC boss battles that is.

4. See number 1 - Yes, I want computer allies enough to mention it twice.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I can't say I disliked the SSE. If I did then I wouldn't have went back to do it on Intense, and I wouldn't have gotten 100% completion.

I will say there's plenty of room for improvement though. The above post explains plenty. Great Maze I liked actually, but it should've been shorter (I did it all in one sitting. Had nothing better to do.)

And Intense mode is rather idiotic. I was expecting more/higher ranked enemies, not getting higher damage% and getting knocked around all day (****ing mites).

Oh, and Co-op is a seriously broken. Sharing the same lives? Same characters? It would've been much better if they just split up the lives between the two players, which would give us our own characters. You have no idea how annoying it is when my friend is forced to play Mario while I'm forced to play Pit.

And yes, less Point A to Point B stuff.

Meta Jr

Smash Cadet
In between The Halberd and Bowser's Castle. You ca
The SSE was okay. I mean most the time I just enjoyed the videos it was kind of boring walking around fighting the same enemies over and over again.

Bosses were fun they were really fun to me. It was something different than big ol Master Hand.

The Great Maze should've been removed I thought I was gonna die it was boring and my head hurt.

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
The Great Maze was far too long, but I especially hated the ruins. But that's just me; I always hate the "desert" area in any game, except for the Spirit Temple in Ocarina of time and the Arbiter's ground in Twilight Princess.

The boss battles were epic, but I'd like to see a lot more of them, and more epic cut scenes, pl0x.
Honestly, I'd love for there to be an extra reward for 100%-ing it, having all the cut scenes pasted together, with some more 'tweener fillers, for one epic SSE movie, because I LOVED the idea of the SSE. Division by Zero, FTW.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I played everything but the great maze 2 player with one of my friends. I can't say I enjoyed it the second time around (I can't even stand to play through it). I loved the cutscenes and storylines, I thought those were excellent, and a few times I've just gone back and watched all the cutscenes in order.

I guess I liked the gameplay the first time around because I hadn't seen any cutscenes yet/done any of the levels. but I can't stand playing it now...

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
3. Less "tedious" platforming or "repetitiveness". Also, when I say platforming, I simply mean the stages in general where you go from "Point A" to "Point B", fight a bunch of random enemies, repeat. I know "platforming" isn't the right word for it, but I don't know what else to call that besides maybe, dungeon crawling(which isn't correct either, unless it is).

Less platforming and instead, add in:

a. Events. Something similar to event matches.

For example, add objectives like "Protect Zelda from Ganondorf" or something like that, stuff similar the Event matches.

b. More boss battles, EPIC boss battles that is.

4. See number 1 - Yes, I want computer allies enough to mention it twice.
I actually got a couple examples what I want:

For example, in Glacial Peak, instead of just the same "Point A to Point B, fight random enemies", they could have done something where you pick "Meta Knight" or "Ice Climbers".

If you picked "Meta Knight"(For example), then a computer will control "Ice Climbers" and vice versa.

What happens now, is both of you race to the top, WHILE both of you fight a boss that is chasing you up the mountain.

(If you get to the top first, you'll get a trophy)

Anyway, you're on the same team, you can't hit each other, however, it's a race to the top between you and the computer. Also, whatever you do, you can't let the computer die. You want to protect the computer as well as race to the top, the computer will also try to protect you.

Also, this stage hosts a Boss Battle also(To make things more exciting).

At the beginning, both Meta Knight and Ice Climbers are both attacked by a giant "mountain climbing" - Crab(I couldn't think of any other boss TBH).

Anyway, the Crab is chasing you, both MK and IC have to damage the Crab, to push it down the mountain, and you're both racing to the top as well.

The computer won't just ditch you and go to the top, the computer will help you fight the boss too. For example, whenever the boss gets near any of you, the computer will do some attacks and it'll push the boss down a little.

However, you need to help the computer against the boss too, if the computer dies, it's gameover. Also, the computer has an advantage in speed and jumping stats, and the computer will slowly regain health as time progresses. .

So this basically means the computer won't die too much, unless you're ditching the computer and not helping fight the boss at all, in which case, the computer will die and it's gameover.

I think that would have been fun, racing to the top while working together to fend off a giant Crab boss.

To recap(short version) (Ice Glacial SSE Stage):
1. If you pick Meta Knight or Ice Climbers, the other character will be controlled by a computer.

2. You're on the same side BUT you're racing to the top. Getting to the top "first" gives you a reward(A trophy), you don't get anything if you lose, but you still win the battle even if you go to the top "last".

3. A giant "mountain-climbing" Crab is attacking you. It's chasing both you and the computer, help each other and attack the Crab so it gets pushed down the mountain.

4. Whatever you do, you must PROTECT the computer, if the computer dies, you lose. The computer will also protect you. If the Crab attacks you, the computer will try to help you out by attacking the Crab.

If the Crab attacks the computer, you should help out the computer.

5. Anyway, if you and the computer make it to the top alive, you win. If you make it to the top first(computer has to be alive when you make it to the top), you'll get the "Giant Mountain Climbing Crab" trophy as a reward.

When I first saw the cutscene of Meta Knight jumping and catching up to the Ice Climbers, then the Ice Climbers looked "Angry" or something, I thought they were going to race to the top or something but I was disappointed it was just another "Point A to Point B" level.

Anyway thought the same thing?

You know, this idea sounds so good right now, too bad we can't really tell Sakurai or Nintendo that they should really remove the "Point A to Point B, fight random enemies, repeat for the whole game", and replace it with something like I described.(well, maybe someone like an interviewer can ask them if they interview Sakurai or something).

Anyway, if there is a Super Smash Bros 4, the adventure mode "better be" something like I described above or else...

Well, it doesn't have to be like I described above but it should be fun and epic, and less repetitive like SSBB's SSE .

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
Anyone ever play maplestory? That's what the SSE reminded me strongest of.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Well maybe the great maze part.
I honestly didn't think most of it was that bad
Awesome movies, and the story gave a little more depth to what would normally be just a fighting game.

However, the fighting, although it certainly felt like a kirby game, was fairly repetitive. It felt too easy, honestly. I agree with...forgot his name, but i saw a post in here referring to how he wished the levels with certain characters were more like the levels in the games they were from. And I completely agree with this. It's very clear that sakurai is a little biased towards kirby.

All in all I'd give it a 7/10, depending on what difficulty you played it on.

But the great maze gets a 2 O_O

I did everything and enjoyed it, even the great maze! But for some reason when i completed it it was only on 88% :(
You have to get every orange box and hidden trophy/CD to have 100%
Just went back and did it yesterday lol

Lutukor

Smash Cadet
SSE was the first mode I played, I got all unlockable characters this way. I only liked it because I played it first, when I play it now it's really boring.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
I'd take SSE over doing Melee's incredibly lame Adventure mode with all 25 characters any day.
Yeah, but it's not like on Brawl you don't have to do classic, boss battles, homerun contest, targets 1, targets 2, 3, 4, 5, and 100 man Brawl with all 35/39 characters. They made the task much longer, but atleast all of the modes are pretty short.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
i would much rather they dropped adventure mode completely, and just add a couple characters with that space. im sure people would have appreciated that. subspace is just a big, heavily overdone, waste of space for me. i only ever use VS mode, like im sure most people do. thats where the attention should have been payed for the programmers.

Top Bottom