• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I dislike the Subspace Emissary."

Star Ryan

Smash Cadet
I'm sure I'm not the only person on Smashboards that never really got into the Subspace Emissary.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, it was good, just not all the way through. The boss battles are exciting, and the movies were amazing, I just wished there would be more of each.

I found myself becoming bored of the stages fairly fast; nothing really kept my attention besides a few interesting set pieces here and there. The Great maze, also, was far too long. I hated it, and in fact couldn't play through it in one sitting due to the monotony.

What do you all think?

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
If it's any consolidation I'm like 17% through it or something, I don't plan on finishing it anyways. And i guarantee that because of this (me not playing SSE) , thatI have more "vs. matches" played than anyone. Besides i saw what happened before it came out here in the states.

.:PacMan:.

Smash Rookie
I watched all of the movies on youtube before the release so I already knew what happend but I enjoyed it all the same, I liked everything but the great maze. That just bored me to death.

Pika Flame

Smash Cadet
I liked everything. It was nice challenge. T he great maze was pretty hard to do, and it took me a while to find Ike's trophy, but I liked it all the same.

Krnxmatt7

Smash Cadet
NNID
bigkongboss
I liked all of it: even the Great Maze. It was cool how you got to reminisce all the levels you went through and fight mirrors of all the characters. Try beating the Great Maze on Intense :p

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I liked the story, it was interesting, and yet I haven't even beat the SSE yet. The boss battles were too easy, and I liked the way the game was just like the Kirby games, flat, going from point A to B.

I actually really liked the whole thing, but it's not the best. The Great Maze is annoying, but that's just one small feature.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I love SSE. It's the only reason I still play Brawl. I get all my characters pimped out with awesome stickers and I'm currently trying to get all the boss trophies. So far, all I have is Galleom, Rayquaza, and Tabuu.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
I did the whole thing and had 89% but then I accidentally saved a new game onto that game so I just don't bother doing it anymore if its that easy to delete it.:(:(

Lozza

Smash Rookie
I finished the maze in one, because if I left it, I would never come back and **** it, I wanted to see how it ended! The boring levels were so worth it for the movies though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Great maze is great gayness
If there was only one thing ever posted on the internet that was true, that was it.

If it wasn't for the Great Maze alone, the SSE would be 10 times better. It made the SSE long, boring, and dull, and worst of all it made the hype for the final boss fight with Tabuu nonexistant.

I saw the SSE on intense, and the first thing I did was beat it on Intense. Sadly, the SSE relies on killing you the cheapest f***ing ways possibly. Random spiky thingy falling from above, stupid s*** kissing enemies that f***ing do ridiculous damage on you that you don't see coming, and ridiculous item spawn spots. Not to mention some really lame enemy encounter/spawning stuff, and the ridiculous amount of enemies spawning at points.

Anyways...Sakurai once said the SSE was like a different game from the rest of Brawl. If the SSE was a standalone game WITHOUT the great characters, it wouldn't sell 5 copies. Guaranteed.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I actually thought the story was interesting and told well, considering no one talked. The gameplay was fun IMO because i played SSE with my Bro, but after a while it did get very repetative especially the great maze. If the Great maze would've been changed to a big and original level or even removed completely the SSE would've been way better.

SSE is alright, but IMO the real reason behind it is to offer a quick and easy way to unlock all the characters.

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
What's with the great maze hate? Pretty intertaining to me. It was fun just figuring out how the hell to use the map.
But actually, the SSE was pretty unnecassary as a whole...

WestCoastNinja

Smash Cadet
What's with the great maze hate? Pretty intertaining to me. It was fun just figuring out how the hell to use the map.
But actually, the SSE was pretty unnecassary as a whole...
Great maze was easy. All you have to do is go to each of the little spots on the map. They actually told you were the doors were. Now if they hadent done that then I would probably hate the maze as much as some of you. :laugh:

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
I personally just loved the fact that Smash now had a storyline instead of people randomly fighting. I'm just happy for that. So I liked it.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
It drags on for way too long, and it makes you feel like they could have put some of that time into making the online better. The maze part is BS.

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
its ok. i didnt like it either. Looking for doors is fun for maybe 3 levels, but then it just gets old. great maze also sucks both my balls. the only thing that wasnt terrible about SSE was, you didnt just hold right. thats probably why he didnt have an appearance until the very end </badjoke>

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
I think SSE's a little underrated. It's not the game's strongest nor main element, probably by intention, but it has a legitimate (albeit somewhat short) length, an obvious story that's told as well as it could be told without dialouge, some of the levels are actually pretty in-depth as far as side-scrolling goes (they aren't ALL based on the "Point A to Point B" concept, or is so, they have a few hazards to go with them or sometihng to solve), and in all truth, those scenes are just fun to watch, but the choice of which Princess to save really doesn't effect much in the story at all aside from which Princess is trophied last, and which duo (Mario and Pit or Link and Yoshi) does battle with which Shadowbug clone of which Princess, even then, the two duos team up with Kirby and become unarguably the most used team, focusing on their pursuit of Dedede and later on the Ancient Minister.

Though plotwise, there's no denying that they did a huger focus on Kirby characters tha anyone else, and I don't like how some characters got their own post intro solo-levels while so many others didn't, and there are some teams that I would've changed (but others I thought were genius, like Marth, Ike and Metaknight).

As for the maze, I managed to figure out the trick to it early on, so I was spending too much time strategizing to actually remember when to use those warp points). If there were more plot-based scenes in between sections the Great Maze section, along with a few more hints than a basic layout of the map, then it would've been less of a burden to many I'm sure

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I enjoyed all of it. It probably made it easier because me and my brother played most of it together but regardless, even the great maze was fun because it gave the other levels another chance in the spotlight and changed the way you went through them.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
SSE = Game That You Play Once And Never Play Again = Games Like Spyro The Dragon/ Crash Bandicoot/ Tak and The Power Of JuJu/ Super Hero Games/ Movie Games.

It's pretty much a kirby game without what makes kirby unique. His eating ability.

AQT

Smash Rookie
It would've been better if in certain places you play as the people aka delfino plaza for mario, peach and lugi. Boss Bowser :p

Bah Humbug!

Smash Rookie
I really enjoyed SSE's story line. However I wish that it wasn't as repetitive in terms of the actual gameplay.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
I had to play through the Great Maze three times. >_> Once at my friend's house, once at my cousin's, and once for myself. It was really annoying...

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
Took about a little close to 2 hours to beat the Great Maze. And that was because I had no clue it HAD a map. But wow, you're spending 2/6 of the story mode time in that maze. Didn't like it, the least they could do is make some of the Stages a little longer or add more besides making this HUGE stage right at the end.

Atticus Finch

Smash Rookie
I can't beat The Great Maze. I've beaten all the shadow characters, but for some reason I haven't completed it. What am I missing?

And I can't get back to The Ruins level to get Wolf either. Ugh.

Atticus Finch

Smash Rookie
Well that's what I'm thinking, because there WERE little flashing Bowser faces where the remaining shadow doors were, which made it easier for me to find them and beat them. But now that I've done that, they're all gone, and now I'm left wondering what's next. Ugh.

Haha and thanks. :]

Frate

Smash Journeyman
You have to go to a room like near the middle, which is a giant portal, where there were trophies before. Then press "up" to enter the portal.

Atticus Finch

Smash Rookie
YEAH. I figured that out last night haha. I had totally forgotten about that stupid room. Thanks though.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I liked the SE.
The only part I hated was the Great Maze.
Horrible, horrible idea.

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree, the entire thing was really a drag for me to go through. The story had a ton of potential, but I feel it was really half ***** to some extent. Granted, how can you tie in so many characters into one story? but whatever I still think the Subspace should've got more time rather than putting in gay features like tripping....which also happens to screw you over sometimes in subspace.(at least if your playing it on a harder difficulty) I got excited during some of the movies, which were fun to watch, but that was in part because I expected the levels to be hella fun....but nope. not one of them really got me into it. It was cheap puzzle solving at its worst. I think they need to hire some of the original makers of the games the characters are from and base the levels kind of from their games more. In the DKish levels I remember seeing barrels and you had to aim at times, but most of the time it was just guaranteed to hit hte right barrel...or just way too easy. I wish the levels based off the games would reflect the games they are from better. Also, put more enemies from the original games besides the mario enemies. I mean whats up with that? There was the new subspace goons...and then mario guys. I didn't see anything else. Some of the games are just amazing for sidescrolling. metroid, donkey kong, mario, and...wish i could say the same for zelda's only side scroller. (zelda + sidescrolling = no) Sonic, I mean we all know. they need ot make the levels more than just fighting hoard of hoard of hoard of cheap enemies. Like those bucket dudes aren't a challenge...just really freakin annoying when they spawn 3 of them above you. you kill one , but the next two get you for an easy 50%. I hated it overall. maybe this is me just venting and letting out some heat, but seriously I really didn't enjoy it at all. I think this game should have a more reliable and fun one player mode.

and I won't say anything about the great maze....I hope I never encounter anything that monotonous again in my entire gaming life.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
I can't beat The Great Maze. I've beaten all the shadow characters, but for some reason I haven't completed it. What am I missing?

And I can't get back to The Ruins level to get Wolf either. Ugh.
All the bosses you beat in the SSE previously you will have to defeat again here, including a new one-Duon.
I don't care for the SSe, I completed it once.

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
Some cutscenes where great, like where lucario finds snake in the box, how shiek owns fox out of his airwing, and the scene of that big attack where ganon and bower shot that HUGE canon out of the SS

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
I enjoyed the SSE
it was so-so for me on the great maze...after seeing the icons on the map it made it so much easier

Would've enjoyed it more if instead of putting so much emphasis here, they would have worked on online capabilities

British Geezer

Smash Cadet
SSE frankly sucks. It's like a bad platformer from the mid-'90s that relies on too many enemies and not enough creativity. The level design is the worst I've seen in two decades. I can't count the number of times I've gotten stuck on a level, and I'm not even done with it yet! Boss battles are all hype, no action, as they're very easy to beat. And the Great Maze sounds like days of frustration. Terrible effort.

ETA: Now I've reached the Great Maze. It has to be the single worst idea in gaming history. Too many dead-ends and cheap deaths to be worth anyone's time.

Top Bottom