• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I am a happy man", or, "Yoshi in Brawl"

D

Deleted member

Looks more like the second kick of Yoshi's standard combo...

*runs*
The second kick of yoshis jab is not bigger than mario :p Man, Yoshis looking to be high tier, which is bad in my mind cuz that means everyone will play him, and people will know how to fight teh yoshi. I like him being bettr though, but we will see.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: People know how to fight Fox and he still somehow wins tournaments.

If Yoshi will for real be super good in this game, I will be more than happy to Yoshi ditto each and every last poser into submission.

You guys do know that...if he gets to eat projectiles...

...well...

...it's a ****ing wrap.

D

Deleted member

I kind of want to put that picture of Yoshi's nair in a sig with the text "Is YOUR foot as big as your body? I think NOT!"
Hehe, that would be sweet. Maybe photoshop it and make the foot even BIGGER :p. That would make me smile :) But seriously , do it. And Shiri, i dont want Yoshi to be top tier, mostly because then, people who are low tier snobs (like us :p) will think that we only play him cuz hes high tier. And then we will laugh at them, and their silly bottom tier foxes and peaches. :laugh:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
there is only going to be one difference between him now and in brawl.

he will hunger even MOAR!!!!!!

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Yoshi stuff I'd noticed:
-Still cannot shield jump
-Bair and Dsmash(dtilt too) have more range thanks to elongated tail
-Grab still sucks imo - same short range and windup lag
-Forward+B does not leave you completely helpless, though it's still kinda useless
-Either it's me, or Yoshi's usmash does NOT have as much priority as it used to
-Egg Toss does give Yoshi some extra distance when in the air, and it doesn't leave you completely helpless after doing so in the air(at least from what I saw)
-Egg Toss also has less lag, or it's just me.
-Yoshi sex kick and bair also seems to have more priority than they used to
EDIT:
-How the hell could I forget that YOSHI'S DJC IS NOW INVALID? The attack will occur, yes, but he will continue on his jump trajectory.

I also noticed DI'ing is more notable - at one round of the "tournament" they had there, I was easily DI'ing smash attacks up to around 200%.
Elotraw posted this in the Brawl impressions thread. I have REALLY mixed feelings about all this. Looks like the new Marth for sure, what with the elongated tail. Well at least the DJC will let you turn around mid-jump, right?

COMBO IDEA!: RDJC a fair at high percentages, the enemy will pop up, and your jump will keep you going. DI next to them and land the finisher! I want to see if this works...

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Elotraw posted this in the Brawl impressions thread. I have REALLY mixed feelings about all this. Looks like the new Marth for sure, what with the elongated tail. Well at least the DJC will let you turn around mid-jump, right?
You can still maneuver a bit during the double jump, though you can't cancel it(unless you down+b, but...). I dunno if we should still be calling it DJC...

It still retains most of its mobile CC properties as I've seen as well. I was able to double jump through edgeguarding Ikes and Links and Sonics alike.

Yoshi instant ledgehog is still possible, but HugS discovered you could instant ledgehog with anyone in nearly the same fashion(just don't jump).

COMBO IDEA!: RDJC a fair at high percentages, the enemy will pop up, and your jump will keep you going. DI next to them and land the finisher! I want to see if this works...
I would've actually landed that more often, but the stupid Wiimote is too clunky for my tastes and I have to get used to the feel of the Classic Controller and the game itself.

I did manage to pull it off twice the whole time I was there, usually finished it with a uair

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Still no jump out of shield. Let's all choose a new main.

Seriously, though, even if you do an aerial at the start of you're second jump you'll still travel the same insanely high distance you normally can? If so, holy **** fast fall off the edge to spike and still return. Hello awesome edgeguarding!

Straight

Smash Journeyman
recovery is a lot better, you can get a notable vertical/horizontal distance from the upB, and on top of that, you can airdodge after the upB for more recovery. Yoshi is VERY different. But i am liking him so far. sorry i cant update more, but it seems it has already been covered.

BTW wavedashing is still possible, although it is a lot different. I wavelanded once with yoshi i believe, but i could not do it starting from the ground.

cant wait for tomorrow

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Good job, guys.

But dang, I was just getting the hang of DJC, too. >_<

Oh, well. Just gotta find new stuff to love about the Yosh. ^_^

Edit: I just realized something, hahaha. WEIGHT hasn't been fully implemented yet, or so it seems. So lots of this stuff looks like it can change drastically later on, hehe **holds out for some sort of new super awesome Yoshi tricks regarding DJ, whether it has the C or not**. Again, good stuff guys. ^_^

P.S. - I hear the Final Smash is too good. o_o

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: -dead-

I am ****ing sold.

P.S. - Forgive me for overreacting, I know a lot of stuff is going to change around between now and February, but I just can't help loving all these new changes, haha.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
lol, they granted yoshi ink dropping. Close enough
it's just that any character seems to be able to ink drop(or whatever they're deciding it should be called)... yoshi was the first one to be shown to be using such a wierd... roll. thing.

the strange thing about it is that the ink drop's supposed to utilize cancelling that roll/stumble/whatever, but now we're getting off topic. I think we need to utilize more uses for the new double jump for... sacrifices. No more floating nairs, RDJC or ECEs for example

Straight

Smash Journeyman
ECE's are really hard to do, I have not been able to land one yet.

Yoshi is REALLY different in brawl compared to melee. Once I get my hands on a regular gc controller, I dont think there should be a problem.

The classic controllers are extremely sensitive so even the slightest angle above left or right on the control stick will cause you to jump.

Awesome game though.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I hate to be the bad guy, but I don't know if that pic shows Yoshi in n-air or doing a jab. Here's the post I put in the Brawl Yoshi forums:

Okay, so I have two questions:

1) Is this Yoshi's n-air or jab? Because everyone I know is freaking out because they think it's the n-air.

In this video at 0:47 it shows the huge foot, but I can't tell if it was a jab or not, since Yoshi WAS knocked back right before he threw the foot out, but being such low %, perhaps it was more of a slide back?

Someone from E for All, or anyone with a better vid, PLEASE clarify this for me D:

Edit: I think it might BE the n-air, after having just watched this video, at 0:48

Oh, and the second question

2) I think you can still ECE, but instead of jumping, you just do the up-b after dropping from the ledge. I'd be willing to bet that's why they made Yoshi's up-b work like that. I mean, it looks like roughly the same height a normal ECE would need to be. It's probably hard to do it without also jumping, but it's possible (at least on the GCN controller). Whoops, not really a question.
D: What do you think?

D

Deleted member

Thats not a bad idea for the ECE winnar. That is indeed his nair, he is in a similar position to his melee nair (except w/ teh big foot :p). That ECE might work, but i thought that the egg only raised u a tiny bit, and it was supposed to be like marths side b or marios cape recovery. Anways, wheres gabe, i wanna know if side b recovery is possible.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
i believe thats a n-i guess or either he is just poping into an egg. But yeah. I cant wait to play with Brawl yoshi. Kinda sad bout his colors though. But have a super long back air, down smash, and Down tilt make up for it.

Unrefined

Smash Journeyman
Wow, been awhile. Been waiting for an actual demo to come out before I came back to this place. Glad to see some of the old faces are still around.

From what I've seen, I am not too worried about yoshi. The changes to the game itself seem to fit my playstyle and what I've been calling for for years. I am very excited to get out there with yoshi and bring him the glory he deserves.

I would like to see a good video of yoshi, all the ones I've seen have been terrible and I cant gauge anything. Is there a video out there with someone with some skill with yoshi I can reference? Especially a vid on the extended range of bair.. fav move.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Assuming eggs will still cancel on the edge, yes, ECE will be possible, and probably even easier. Up+B recoveries automatically edgehog now, no need to worry about jumping too high anymore, and since his up+B gives him distance, you'll more than likely not miss anymore.

Winnar

Smash Lord
That looked like the Spin Attack item from melee, though it may take the form of a badge now (like the MOTHER badge that reflects projectiles).

I liked that combo at the end, though. U-smash to egg lay FTW :yoshi:

launchpadmcqak13

Smash Apprentice
There is a brawl character specific sticky for impressions from E for all! If you went to E for all sum up the changes for all the moves so we have a consolidated list!

GO GO GO!!

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
oh yeah, I didn't mention it here, but...

I saw Gabe playing Yoshi on Saturday and apparently he did a reverse second jump doing a bair on Gimpy. With the extra range on the bair thanks to the stretching tail, I think it'd be something nifty to try out once we get our hands on the game.

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
I've always been a Yoshi player, but I play SSBM very very very infrequently due to my lack of a GameCube, but my parents actually got me a Wii, so I'll be ready for Brawl ;) . Yoshi looks awesome.

In the demo, do they have every character available to play, or are they still adding more characters?
Also, it looks like items will be a big part of Brawl, since a ton of characters have moves that release items that stay on the field. Not sure how this is going to affect gameplay.

Straight

Smash Journeyman
In the demo, do they have every character available to play, or are they still adding more characters?.
Pretty sure that the demo had nowhere near the amount of characters that will ultimately be playable
Also, it looks like items will be a big part of Brawl, since a ton of characters have moves that release items that stay on the field. Not sure how this is going to affect gameplay.
Not really.Right off the top of my head, I can only think of sonic and samus that have this characteristic. Sonic would have to use his upB while on the stage, which I believe should rarely happen while Samus would have to use her final smash (which is an item as well).

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There's also Wario and King Dedede using items that stay on the field, too.

IF KIRBY CANNOT GET BEAM POWERS FROM WADDLE DOO, SOMEONE WILL DIE

_Ubemaya_

Smash Cadet
There's also like, Diddy Kong with peanuts, and Link and Peach with bombs/turnips/peaches.

Top Bottom