• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I am a happy man", or, "Yoshi in Brawl"

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I'm lazy and will not update this anymore. Sorry! Go to Brawl character discussion for stuff about Yoshi in Brawl.

I got around to making an actual Brawl Yoshi thread. Sorry if this is in the wrong place Bringer, but I hate the Brawl rooms (for reasons Mic_128 can explain), and I think we will actually receive some interesting discussion on the Yoshi boards. Plus, the thread was already here.

I am only going to cover things of interest in this thread i.e. Yoshi getting his *** kicked by another character's final smash or Pokemon will not be posted in this first post. This is in the interest of conserving bandwidth by limiting the number of pictures. If you want to add another picture because there is something interesting going on in it, feel free to post it. I will update this thread as new revelations about Yoshi appear (whether intentional or otherwise).

I. Profile

Yoshi is cute. He's also a badass. Kind of like Kirby, except a dragon, so better. His head is also teh hueg, like the Xbox. Take his new Brawl appearance for what you will, I prefer the Melee appearance solely for the stylish boots. Whatever, it's not the looks that matter anyways, everyone knows Yoshi is distinguishable by his voice. "Yoshiiiiiiiiiii!!!" <3

What is he doing here? Turning around? A kicking move? I'm not sure, really.

The only reason this image is important is because it confirms Yoshi's hidden second taunt, the confetti taunt. When he pops out of his shield, bits of egg go flying everywhere and Yoshi's position seems as if he were saying "Surprise!" It's your birthday every time you unshield, that's for sure.

By far the most interesting thing about Yoshi's profile is the following:
Among other things, he can now use his up special move, the Egg Toss, to increase the distance of his jump. That’s enough to earn him a hearty welcome, isn’t it?
This is the cause of endless speculation as to how and how far it will increase his jump distance. Do you have to use it right after the jump? Will a standing egg toss cause Yoshi to pop up? Will it help if you haven't used your second jump yet? Will using an egg cause Yoshi to lock into the freefall animation? Nobody knows until Sakurai posts more. Look for a future "Yoshi: special moves" update. I know that update will be the best one for me.

II. Final smash

Dinosaur Yoshi deconfirmed! Yeah, so, if final smashes are used in tournaments (which I heartily support along with other items if crates,barrels, and capsules can be turned off), this one has potential (especially for edgeguarding). The real question is how fast can Yoshi produce these fire formations, how fast Yoshi himself moves, and how fast the fire moves. I don't know about you guys, but I got over fire dodging way back in the NES days, and by the looks of it these things can avoided as well.

With the October 10th post, probably the most emotion-filled update ever, Yoshi was shown using his final smash on Shadow Moses. From the looks of it, fire breath causes massive damage, as it took Zelda up to 248% from around 210%. The fireballs move pretty fast too, about the same speed as lasers in Melee. Their damage is unknown as they were used on a stage feature in the video. Yoshi moves pretty slowly while flying

III. Random pictures of interest:

This is from the Pokemon Stadium 2 update. Yoshi is way up there, and, what's that he's doing? Is it an airdodge, or part of his jump? The same pose appears in the Mr. Resetti update:

It looks like an airdodge to me. In the stadium pic, even with the advanced jumping given by the stage, to attain that height would require at least the half way through mark of Yoshi's double jump (they wouldn't let people jump too high, would they?). In the Resetti pic, Yoshi is too close to the ground to have initiated his double jump and jump half its distance. I going off of guesses for this one, but I think airdodging makes its return. This is Yoshi's.

Hmmmm? What's this? Yoshi isn't flinching from Meta-Knight's attack! Either Yoshi is a heavy character and has one of those no-flinch moves, or Meta-Knight sucks. Or supershielding returns, which wouldn't be a surprise (It was in smash 64 as well under the name of "The Yoshi Parry") If it is supershielding, why would they show us such an advanced technique before the game comes out? Do they expect us to not know about it? Perhaps supershielding is more accessible this time around!

Thanks to this awesome thread which I hope Bringer sees the light and opens again, I can recognize Yoshi's ending ftilt position anywhere. In the pic Yoshi is in a slightly different position than in Melee, but the ninja spirit still lives on. It is blatant, Yoshi's ftilt is back. We know nothing about the range or speed of it though.

ZOMG! Look at how huge his foot is! This is one of the only times where we've seen Yoshi doing an actual attack (Actually I think it is THE only time, actually). Nair is back and it's better than ever. Hopefullt the hitbox extends beyond his boot this time.

Also, a cool new taunt was in the October 10th update. Yoshi spins around twice (kind of like a dog before it sits down) and ends looking out at the audience standing on one foot with his signature "Yoshiiiiiiiii!" I seriously can't wait to use this.
Well, that's all I have for now. I'm not use to such long posts! The spirit of Shiri somehow found me and felt the need to post haha.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's official broken tier now.

Unless... Unless... UNLESS....

THEY TAKE OUT THE EXTRA WEIGHT DURING HIS MIDJUMP!!!

I have nightmares thinking about it.

mukoe890

Smash Apprentice
extra weight...and extra heigh they might take outt... yea he'll be broken with the same jump plus triple jump! but the poor guy deserves it. agreed?

D1

Banned via Administration
Yoshi’s back and bursting with personality! He can launch consecutive attacks and even smack around enemies below him mid-flight.

Among other things, he can now use his up special move, the Egg Toss, to increase the distance of his jump. That’s enough to earn him a hearty welcome, isn’t it?

I wanted to be first to post it...so I'll just post it here outta envy >_<...instead of making a new thread to make me look awesome.

D:.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
He looks really cartoony. Yegh.

Also, does this mean his egg toss is gonna be thrown down in mid-air to propel him? Maybe you can even rotate mid-up-b! How cool would that be? I just hope it's not like Ness' up-b recovery.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
You aren't the only happy one Bloshi, I love this update! No matter what they made Yoshi looked like or what moves they gave him, I would ALWAYS have given him a hearty welcome.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
yeah man. I wasnt as happy with the new yoshi desgin and how its sooo cartoony. It had to grow on me. Like i loved the bottom left pick. Of him coming out of his sheild in the sunset. freakin awsome. But yeah UP B gives him another jump. Yoshi is now GOD tier. an can't be F'd with.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

**breathe in**

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S

A

****ING

WRAP.

YOSHI.

DONE.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Still no evidence of Black or Cream Yoshi. Tomorrow's looking good though.

EDIT:

In depth analysis of Yoshi's visual differences.

-Yoshi's nose is bigger. Seriously, compare 2 pictures and Brawl Yoshi looks weird with his huge-*** nose.
-Yoshi's eyelids protrude less. New Yoshi looks like a thin layer of skin slides over the eyes, instead of having actual eyelids.
-Yoshi no longer has spikes on his back! Now he has semi-circles. Or at least, an ovular shape. So much for Mario getting impaled unpleasantly when Yoshi comes to a quick stop.
-Top right pic: Wtf Yoshi's gone craaaaaaazy. That look in his eyes means his Ninja skills have corrupted his soul and made him go insane. Or, his eyes are independent now. Each option has its merits.
-Saddle. How can anyone sit on that? It's like Yoshi has turned into a camel.
-Even his nostrils look more cartoony.
-His shoes are no longer bloodstained from the people he has d-aired in the past. He has either been to a shoe store that sells shoes that actually display grooves underneath or he has washed his. I'd like to think that his original shoes are still red.
-http://ssbm.detstar.com/screengallery/yoshi_hatch.jpg this looks stupid compared to Brawl Yoshi, but what can you do.
-Oh my god that huge rounded nose.

That's it so far! If I find time I'll update with more useless information!

technomancer

Smash Champion
hey guys for serious

DID NOBODY NOTICE THE BOTTOM RIGHT PICTURE WHERE YOSHI IS RIDING ON DK FOR THE ULTIMATE ****ING WIN?????

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he was riding DK, it looks like he was just starting up fair on top of him. >_>

And I think Yoshi looks sexay.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, I was thinking of down air, myself. Fun times.

LULZ EDIT: ROFLLLLLLLLLLL Techno. Amazing. <3

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The thing is, it increases the distance of his jump, which sounds like if you have no jump, you don't get more distance, which means you're pretty much just as easily edgeguarded.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the way his nose is right now, he can't see a **** thing!

I liked the old design better, but it kinda had to come, and if his gameplay is as cool as in Melee, I'll main him for sure.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet

Also, does this mean his egg toss is gonna be thrown down in mid-air to propel him? Maybe you can even rotate mid-up-b! How cool would that be? I just hope it's not like Ness' up-b recovery.
I really hope they don't make it anywhere NEAR Ness's recovery. I'm VERY scared they might do that since Yoshi's egg throw is a projectile... and Ness is the only other one who has their up-b as a projectile (excluding Kirby's cutter)... We can only wait to find out...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's about to be a WHAT?!

EGG FIGHT.

Okay, that was pretty lame, I apologize.

-PM-

Smash Ace
:yoshi: It's about to be a WHAT?!

EGG FIGHT.

Okay, that was pretty lame, I apologize.
its ok shiri we love you btw... im gonna represent yoshi instead of mario at a tournament in like two weeks and ill tell ya how it goes lol

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Please do, PM. It's always good for the boards to hear how its players do. ^_^

-PM-

Smash Ace
or lets say you use B and your the red yoshi and you press a and he shoots you out like a fireball like off the games =D

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
Do you know what would make yoshi awesome? The ability to breathe flames
How about he has a random effect whenever he eats a character, unlike Kirby this could be limited to about 3-5 effects mainly based on SMW (multi jump [blue], triple fire ball [red], more power on stars [yellow] etc).

Top Bottom